Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

    The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

Reply
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 177
  1. #91
    Registered User LinDiva3's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2012
    Posts: 53
    Rep Power: 8
    LinDiva3 is a name known to all. (+5000) LinDiva3 is a name known to all. (+5000) LinDiva3 is a name known to all. (+5000) LinDiva3 is a name known to all. (+5000) LinDiva3 is a name known to all. (+5000) LinDiva3 is a name known to all. (+5000) LinDiva3 is a name known to all. (+5000) LinDiva3 is a name known to all. (+5000) LinDiva3 is a name known to all. (+5000) LinDiva3 is a name known to all. (+5000) LinDiva3 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Visit LinDiva3's BodySpace
    LinDiva3 is offline
    New here & thanks for some good info.
    Reply With Quote

  2. #92
    Registered User prettygirlfit's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2011
    Age: 23
    Stats: 5'9", 153 lbs
    Posts: 5
    Rep Power: 0
    prettygirlfit is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit prettygirlfit's BodySpace
    prettygirlfit is offline

    Thumbs up

    Originally Posted by Emma-Leigh View Post
    best way to gain lean muscle:
    eat more food.
    train heavy with weights.
    do a little cardio to keep healthy.
    rest enough.


    best way to lose fat:
    eat less food.
    train heavy with weights.
    do more cardio to add to calorie deficit.
    rest enough.


    best way to waste money:
    buy lots of useless supplements thinking they will help magically with the above.
    Preach it sister!!!!
    Reply With Quote

  3. #93
    Registered User dariasofi's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2012
    Location: Atlanta, Georgia, United States
    Stats: 5'5", 110 lbs
    Posts: 42
    Rep Power: 0
    dariasofi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dariasofi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dariasofi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dariasofi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dariasofi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dariasofi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dariasofi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dariasofi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dariasofi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dariasofi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dariasofi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Visit dariasofi's BodySpace
    dariasofi is offline
    Originally Posted by alexisdoles View Post
    TOTALLY agree about the supplements. I recently weaned myself off of OxyElite, and before that NoExplode. Now I'm just natural, eating well and sleeping right.

    Basically though I wanted to lose fat and I am already fit. Low body fat percentage, good muscle tone. In the past two weeks I lost about 6lbs which is DIFFICULT for me because I dont have *much* to lose, just in a few spots, and I build muscle quickly.

    I did it by cutting calories, eating very lean foods, drinking more water, adding more leg work outs and doing more cardio.

    Been taking naps every day...I feel great.
    I agree on the sleeping especially. I notice a HUGE difference in how I feel after good and bad sleep alike.
    5'5". 110 lbs. 17% BF
    Yoga, HIIT, Weights 5 days /wk
    Clean raw eating 90% of the time
    No alcohol M-Th
    Reply With Quote

  4. #94
    Registered User jadeh87's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2012
    Age: 26
    Stats: 5'11", 168 lbs
    Posts: 2
    Rep Power: 0
    jadeh87 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit jadeh87's BodySpace
    jadeh87 is offline
    Hi Ladies,
    I'm new to this, since January 2012!
    I just wondered if I'm doing the right things to meet my goal of being totally lean and to build muscle!
    I have 2 grenades, omega 3 oil, calcium&vit d and an aloe vera supp with oats for breakfast,
    working out im doing jamie easons live fit programme and am on week 3
    i have a whey protein shake straight after
    my diet during the day is totally clean now and ive given up alcohol
    i eat 5 small meals a day
    I've lost a stone and a half which is about 24lbs since january 25th but i want to build lean muscle so are there any alterations i can make to my training or supplements?
    i think my diet is pretty nailed to be honest its the other aspects that are very new to me.

    It's addictive seeing the results I just want to continue to improve.

    Thank you

    Jade
    New to this lifestyle, totally addicted and happiest I've felt in years! One gear, go!
    Reply With Quote

  5. #95
    Registered User minxywildkat's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2012
    Location: Canada
    Age: 39
    Stats: 5'4", 138 lbs
    Posts: 17
    Rep Power: 0
    minxywildkat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) minxywildkat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) minxywildkat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) minxywildkat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) minxywildkat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) minxywildkat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) minxywildkat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) minxywildkat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) minxywildkat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) minxywildkat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) minxywildkat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Visit minxywildkat's BodySpace
    minxywildkat is offline
    Agree! Take the long hard healthy road. It's a lifestyle.

    Originally Posted by Emma-Leigh View Post
    best way to gain lean muscle:
    eat more food.
    train heavy with weights.
    do a little cardio to keep healthy.
    rest enough.


    best way to lose fat:
    eat less food.
    train heavy with weights.
    do more cardio to add to calorie deficit.
    rest enough.


    best way to waste money:
    buy lots of useless supplements thinking they will help magically with the above.
    Minxy - Anita

    Know yourself
    Be yourself
    Trust yourself
    Love yourself
    Respect yourself.
    Reply With Quote

  6. #96
    Registered User LindaAlbert's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2011
    Age: 29
    Posts: 70
    Rep Power: 0
    LindaAlbert has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Visit LindaAlbert's BodySpace
    LindaAlbert is offline
    Hi Emma-Leigh,
    Thanks for sharing the info..
    sounds very easy and simple...
    Reply With Quote

  7. #97
    Registered User hmihal's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2010
    Age: 37
    Posts: 3
    Rep Power: 0
    hmihal is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    hmihal is offline
    Originally Posted by lostmittens View Post
    How do i know what my daily caloric intake should be? I'm fat. I have commited to working out 5 days a week here is my routine: monday 10 mins cardio then i do a lower body work out 3 set of 15 approx 50 lbs, my abs then 25 mins cardio. Tue: 10 mins cardio upper body work out 3 set of 15 approx 50 lbs, my abs then 25 mins cardio. Wed: 40 mins cardio my abs Thur and Fri are repetes of Mon & Tue off on Sat and Sun
    Please advise.
    A good rule that I have heard is to take your realistic goal weight and multiply that by 10. Then add in 200-500 additional calories for exercise depending on the activities of the day. To preserve muscle, eat 1-1.5 grams protein for every lb of lean body weight. If you don't know what your lean weight is, eat 1 gm per lb. Carbs are important for energy so don't forget to add plenty of wholesome carbs. I personally do best when I eat as many carbs as protein. You can track your food log along with your macros on a free site like loseit.com I like loseit.com because they also have a free mobile app. My current weight is 150 and I am trying to get to a lean 125. My calorie target is (125 X 10)+200-500. So I try to eat in the range of 1450-1750 per day.
    Reply With Quote

  8. #98
    Registered User aprilevolve's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2012
    Age: 24
    Stats: 5'6", 145 lbs
    Posts: 8
    Rep Power: 0
    aprilevolve is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit aprilevolve's BodySpace
    aprilevolve is offline
    Originally Posted by emma-leigh View Post
    best way to gain lean muscle:
    eat more food.
    Train heavy with weights.
    Do a little cardio to keep healthy.
    Rest enough.


    best way to lose fat:
    eat less food.
    Train heavy with weights.
    Do more cardio to add to calorie deficit.
    Rest enough.


    best way to waste money:
    buy lots of useless supplements thinking they will help magically with the above.



    amen.
    Reply With Quote

  9. #99
    Registered User heebz76's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2011
    Location: Wisconsin, United States
    Age: 37
    Stats: 5'4", 128 lbs
    Posts: 2
    Rep Power: 0
    heebz76 is just really nice. (+1000) heebz76 is just really nice. (+1000) heebz76 is just really nice. (+1000) heebz76 is just really nice. (+1000) heebz76 is just really nice. (+1000) heebz76 is just really nice. (+1000) heebz76 is just really nice. (+1000) heebz76 is just really nice. (+1000) heebz76 is just really nice. (+1000) heebz76 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Visit heebz76's BodySpace
    heebz76 is offline
    Alot of you have good points on how to gain lean muscle and burn fat. But one must remember that everyone has different metabolisms when they start their want to lose. You have to find what foods work for you. I learned the basics on this subject from my local gym, the rest I learned from my own body. I started out at 200lbs in 2008 and have been at 130-135lbs since 2010. I did my weight lose a little slower then most women prefer. I changed my diet gradually starting out with less carbs and no second helpings. Then I gradually took out all processed foods. I do eat them occasionally now. Sugary foods and white flour are my killer on weight. I try to leave them out as much as possible. As far as Lean Muscle I did what most other stated on here. Start out with what you can lift in 12 reps and work the weight up. The more muscle you have the more fat you burn. Don't forget your cardio. If you are not sweating you are not losing.
    Reply With Quote

  10. #100
    Registered User Taina86's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2012
    Stats: 5'5", 193 lbs
    Posts: 8
    Rep Power: 0
    Taina86 is just really nice. (+1000) Taina86 is just really nice. (+1000) Taina86 is just really nice. (+1000) Taina86 is just really nice. (+1000) Taina86 is just really nice. (+1000) Taina86 is just really nice. (+1000) Taina86 is just really nice. (+1000) Taina86 is just really nice. (+1000) Taina86 is just really nice. (+1000) Taina86 is just really nice. (+1000) Taina86 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Visit Taina86's BodySpace
    Taina86 is offline
    [QUOTE=Hannah73Louise;406433361]I love that! Nice and simple [/QUO

    Hi, so in order to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time is good to do strenght prior to cardio? excusse my ignorance but I am relatively new in all these fitness and nutrition world, I'm trying to lose 60lbs of fat and gain muscle at the same time, I am doing a ketosis diet too, and I am not sure if that is the best diet for fat loss and muscle build, Any help will be highly apreciated Tanx everyone.
    Reply With Quote

  11. #101
    Registered User jennifermaxine's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2012
    Stats: 5'2", 126 lbs
    Posts: 53
    Rep Power: 2
    jennifermaxine is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit jennifermaxine's BodySpace
    jennifermaxine is offline
    Originally Posted by Emma-Leigh View Post
    best way to gain lean muscle:
    eat more food.
    train heavy with weights.
    do a little cardio to keep healthy.
    rest enough.


    best way to lose fat:
    eat less food.
    train heavy with weights.
    do more cardio to add to calorie deficit.
    rest enough.


    best way to waste money:
    buy lots of useless supplements thinking they will help magically with the above.

    I agree .. but does the body ever go into starvation mode? Or does it get to a point where it 'holds on to fat' if eating too low of calories? I've been plateaued at 126 for 3.5 weeks now. That is with 1400 cals a day. I've upped my cardio to 6x's a week (also do weights 3x's a wk) But still 126. The thought of cutting more cals makes me cry ... I'm already starving half the time. I'm wondering if the reason why I'm not losing weight is because I'm eating too little. ??? Any thoughts?
    Reply With Quote

  12. #102
    Back at square one wakechica's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2011
    Stats: 5'8", 150 lbs
    Posts: 3,344
    Rep Power: 6491
    wakechica has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) wakechica has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) wakechica has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) wakechica has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) wakechica has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) wakechica has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) wakechica has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) wakechica has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) wakechica has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) wakechica has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) wakechica has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit wakechica's BodySpace
    wakechica is offline
    Originally Posted by jennifermaxine View Post
    I agree .. but does the body ever go into starvation mode? Or does it get to a point where it 'holds on to fat' if eating too low of calories? I've been plateaued at 126 for 3.5 weeks now. That is with 1400 cals a day. I've upped my cardio to 6x's a week (also do weights 3x's a wk) But still 126. The thought of cutting more cals makes me cry ... I'm already starving half the time. I'm wondering if the reason why I'm not losing weight is because I'm eating too little. ??? Any thoughts?
    You do too much cardio. And eat too little. If you read you're other thread you'll see every response says you're eating too little.
    All you need to do is lift heavy 3-4 times per week and I'd drop the cardio for now unless you need to be fit for your job.
    Reply With Quote

  13. #103
    Registered User jennifermaxine's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2012
    Stats: 5'2", 126 lbs
    Posts: 53
    Rep Power: 2
    jennifermaxine is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit jennifermaxine's BodySpace
    jennifermaxine is offline
    Originally Posted by wakechica View Post
    You do too much cardio. And eat too little. If you read you're other thread you'll see every response says you're eating too little.
    All you need to do is lift heavy 3-4 times per week and I'd drop the cardio for now unless you need to be fit for your job.
    Ok thanks.
    Reply With Quote

  14. #104
    Registered User gypsy96d's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2012
    Stats: 5'5", 138 lbs
    Posts: 1
    Rep Power: 0
    gypsy96d is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit gypsy96d's BodySpace
    gypsy96d is offline
    I'm probably being incredibly impatient, but I've been hitting the gym quite hard lately, and I don't feel like I'm seeing the results as quickly as I'd like. I'm 32, 5'5 and 138lbs. I'm guessing my BF% is somewhere between 20%-25% but frankly, I haven't measured it, so that's just a guess. I've been focusing on weight training, as that is what I love to do, although I do cardio by riding my bike to and from work, as well as one day a week in the gym focused on cardio.

    I'm a civilian working in Afghanistan and don't have the kind of control over what I eat that I'd like to have. I work 84 hours a week and yet still find time to train 90 min a day, six days a week with my co-worker (yeah, I have no life). My biggest problem is not temptation, but it's just remembering to eat at all! I swear, eating every 3 hours or so is incredibly difficult! Below is what I generally try to aim for as far as my diet is concerned:

    1. protein shake
    2. 4-5 oz chicken or tuna fish (canned) w/ salsa
    3. almonds and granola bar
    4. egg whites & fruit (usually pineapple and strawberries)
    5. protien bar (if I remember)

    Is this sufficient, or should I attempt to modify it? I feel like my overall problem isn't willpower, it's knowledge (and remembering to eat). I have plenty of willpower so long as I don't have to give up my one cup of coffee a day. Any help you ladies can provide would be incredibly helpful.
    Reply With Quote

  15. #105
    Registered User NGR8SHAPE's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2006
    Location: Michigan, United States
    Age: 32
    Stats: 5'10", 148 lbs
    Posts: 1,386
    BodyPoints: 23880
    Rep Power: 1472
    NGR8SHAPE has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) NGR8SHAPE has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) NGR8SHAPE has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) NGR8SHAPE has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) NGR8SHAPE has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) NGR8SHAPE has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) NGR8SHAPE has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) NGR8SHAPE has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) NGR8SHAPE has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) NGR8SHAPE has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) NGR8SHAPE has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit NGR8SHAPE's BodySpace
    NGR8SHAPE is offline
    Originally Posted by Emma-Leigh View Post
    best way to gain lean muscle:
    eat more food.
    train heavy with weights.
    do a little cardio to keep healthy.
    rest enough.


    best way to lose fat:
    eat less food.
    train heavy with weights.
    do more cardio to add to calorie deficit.
    rest enough.


    best way to waste money:
    buy lots of useless supplements thinking they will help magically with the above.
    KISS method: keep it simple stupid.
    True Iron Amazon. Hard.Body.Elegance. Consulting

    www.trueironamazon.com

    www.tabmassage..com
    Reply With Quote

  16. #106
    Registered User flyingeek's Avatar
    Join Date: May 2012
    Location: La Mirada, California, United States
    Stats: 5'4", 125 lbs
    Posts: 262
    Rep Power: 213
    flyingeek has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) flyingeek has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) flyingeek has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) flyingeek has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) flyingeek has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) flyingeek has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) flyingeek has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) flyingeek has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) flyingeek has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) flyingeek has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) flyingeek has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit flyingeek's BodySpace
    flyingeek is offline
    Originally Posted by gypsy96d View Post
    I'm probably being incredibly impatient, but I've been hitting the gym quite hard lately, and I don't feel like I'm seeing the results as quickly as I'd like. I'm 32, 5'5 and 138lbs. I'm guessing my BF% is somewhere between 20%-25% but frankly, I haven't measured it, so that's just a guess. I've been focusing on weight training, as that is what I love to do, although I do cardio by riding my bike to and from work, as well as one day a week in the gym focused on cardio.

    I'm a civilian working in Afghanistan and don't have the kind of control over what I eat that I'd like to have. I work 84 hours a week and yet still find time to train 90 min a day, six days a week with my co-worker (yeah, I have no life). My biggest problem is not temptation, but it's just remembering to eat at all! I swear, eating every 3 hours or so is incredibly difficult! Below is what I generally try to aim for as far as my diet is concerned:

    1. protein shake
    2. 4-5 oz chicken or tuna fish (canned) w/ salsa
    3. almonds and granola bar
    4. egg whites & fruit (usually pineapple and strawberries)
    5. protien bar (if I remember)

    Is this sufficient, or should I attempt to modify it? I feel like my overall problem isn't willpower, it's knowledge (and remembering to eat). I have plenty of willpower so long as I don't have to give up my one cup of coffee a day. Any help you ladies can provide would be incredibly helpful.
    If that is what you eat in a day, then you are not eating nearly enough. Have you taken a look at the stickies regarding macros and calories?
    1) I will be there iN 5 minutes.
    2) If not there by then, see 1.
    Reply With Quote

  17. #107
    Registered User msbluejay's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2012
    Age: 35
    Stats: 5'8", 131 lbs
    Posts: 3
    Rep Power: 0
    msbluejay is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit msbluejay's BodySpace
    msbluejay is offline
    I'm on board with this sage advice, but I'm not sure which boat I'm on: gaining lean muscle or losing fat. I've been working on losing fat and have reached a plateaeu with a simple "eat less, train heavy" plan (consuming 1200 calories per day and keeping carbs under 100g, circuit training or running 4-5x per week, and lifting 3x per week). I'm down to 124 lbs and I've been stuck there for a month. I will start a carb cycling plan this week.

    My question is: should I continue focusing on losing the remaining fat that I have (all in my thighs and butt) or not? Once I switch to eating more, am I going to gain weight back in my thighs and legs or all over? Clearly, I'm a newbie, so any advice would be great. Thanks!
    Reply With Quote

  18. #108
    Not Swimming. Emma-Leigh's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2003
    Location: NSW, Australia
    Stats: 5'6"
    Posts: 17,652
    BodyPoints: 11632
    Rep Power: 1280988
    Emma-Leigh has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Emma-Leigh has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Emma-Leigh has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Emma-Leigh has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Emma-Leigh has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Emma-Leigh has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Emma-Leigh has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Emma-Leigh has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Emma-Leigh has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Emma-Leigh has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Emma-Leigh has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit Emma-Leigh's BodySpace
    Emma-Leigh is offline
    Originally Posted by msbluejay View Post
    I'm on board with this sage advice, but I'm not sure which boat I'm on: gaining lean muscle or losing fat. I've been working on losing fat and have reached a plateaeu with a simple "eat less, train heavy" plan (consuming 1200 calories per day and keeping carbs under 100g, circuit training or running 4-5x per week, and lifting 3x per week). I'm down to 124 lbs and I've been stuck there for a month. I will start a carb cycling plan this week.

    My question is: should I continue focusing on losing the remaining fat that I have (all in my thighs and butt) or not? Once I switch to eating more, am I going to gain weight back in my thighs and legs or all over? Clearly, I'm a newbie, so any advice would be great. Thanks!
    Eat more food. Or do less cardio. You can't both starve yourself + train like a freak and expect your body just to 'keep going'. Something has got to give.

    And as you get leaner - you need to eat more (especially more carbs). So start to increase calories / carbs and you'll probably find you lose more weight + get better workouts and get stronger too.
    *perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim*
    "The greatest rewards are always reserved for those who bring great value to themselves and the world around them as a result of whom and what they have become." - Jim Rohn
    It's your call. DRIV.... E.
    Reps for protein powder, puppies, or anyone who buys me a house.
    Reply With Quote

  19. #109
    Registered User msbluejay's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2012
    Age: 35
    Stats: 5'8", 131 lbs
    Posts: 3
    Rep Power: 0
    msbluejay is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit msbluejay's BodySpace
    msbluejay is offline
    Originally Posted by Emma-Leigh View Post
    Eat more food. Or do less cardio. You can't both starve yourself + train like a freak and expect your body just to 'keep going'. Something has got to give.

    And as you get leaner - you need to eat more (especially more carbs). So start to increase calories / carbs and you'll probably find you lose more weight + get better workouts and get stronger too.
    It sounds counterintuitive to eat more when I'm trying to lose fat. You've been doing this longer, so I defer to your expertise. But, I'm less concerned about getting stronger or gaining muscle (since I continue to see gains in strength despite the calorie deficit) and more concerned about getting rid of the last bit of fat. Do you have a particular plan that you would recommend to continue leaning out? Also, could you answer the second question I asked (about how I'd be gaining weight when I start adding calories)? That would be helpful. Thanks!
    Reply With Quote

  20. #110
    Not Swimming. Emma-Leigh's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2003
    Location: NSW, Australia
    Stats: 5'6"
    Posts: 17,652
    BodyPoints: 11632
    Rep Power: 1280988
    Emma-Leigh has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Emma-Leigh has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Emma-Leigh has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Emma-Leigh has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Emma-Leigh has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Emma-Leigh has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Emma-Leigh has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Emma-Leigh has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Emma-Leigh has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Emma-Leigh has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Emma-Leigh has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit Emma-Leigh's BodySpace
    Emma-Leigh is offline
    Originally Posted by msbluejay View Post
    It sounds counterintuitive to eat more when I'm trying to lose fat. You've been doing this longer, so I defer to your expertise. But, I'm less concerned about getting stronger or gaining muscle (since I continue to see gains in strength despite the calorie deficit) and more concerned about getting rid of the last bit of fat. Do you have a particular plan that you would recommend to continue leaning out? Also, could you answer the second question I asked (about how I'd be gaining weight when I start adding calories)? That would be helpful. Thanks!
    Why does it sound counter intuitive? It makes perfect sense.
    When you're really fat -- you have much more fat to lose.... So you can create more of a calorie deficit.
    When you're less fat -- you have less fat to lose... So your body can't handle as much of a deficit, not without losing lean mass, or causing metabolic side effects which will slow fat loss.
    When you're more fat, you can therefore eat less.
    When you're less fat - you have to eat more to create the right environment to continue weight loss.

    Particular plans in leaning out? There are many variations but the SUCCESSFUL ones (that do not result in metabolic and mental splats at the end) all follow the same theme:
    1/ eat less than you need, but not so little as to do yourself damage
    2/ weight train correctly with a low volume, high load resistance training
    3/ incorporate small amounts of cardio as required.
    4/ incorporate high calorie / high carb days as required. As you get leaner, you need more of these

    Over and above this - I don't believe in cookie cutter plans. You essentially need to play with what you need to suit your body / life.
    So, no, there isn't one method I suggest.


    And when you do start to 'gain weight' - you will gain all over... Where you gain first / faster - is a matter of genetics + training.
    *perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim*
    "The greatest rewards are always reserved for those who bring great value to themselves and the world around them as a result of whom and what they have become." - Jim Rohn
    It's your call. DRIV.... E.
    Reps for protein powder, puppies, or anyone who buys me a house.
    Reply With Quote

  21. #111
    Registered User liftette's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2012
    Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Age: 37
    Stats: 5'6", 135 lbs
    Posts: 89
    Rep Power: 2
    liftette is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit liftette's BodySpace
    liftette is offline
    Long time lifter, first time member and poster.

    I need to know what to do. I'm an ectomorph, don't really build muscle easily. Recently got skinnyfat. Started doing intermittent fasting and the weight came off. Still have a bit of belly fat, so I keep reducing the calorie count. Now I notice I am losing muscle even thought I'm lifting heavier weights. What to do? Give up on the flat belly? I think I only have about 5 pounds more of fat to lose but I don't want to lose more muscle. I'm 5'6 and weigh 115. Please help.
    Reply With Quote

  22. #112
    Registered User msbluejay's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2012
    Age: 35
    Stats: 5'8", 131 lbs
    Posts: 3
    Rep Power: 0
    msbluejay is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit msbluejay's BodySpace
    msbluejay is offline
    Originally Posted by Emma-Leigh View Post
    Why does it sound counter intuitive? It makes perfect sense.
    When you're really fat -- you have much more fat to lose.... So you can create more of a calorie deficit.
    When you're less fat -- you have less fat to lose... So your body can't handle as much of a deficit, not without losing lean mass, or causing metabolic side effects which will slow fat loss.
    When you're more fat, you can therefore eat less.
    When you're less fat - you have to eat more to create the right environment to continue weight loss.


    Particular plans in leaning out? There are many variations but the SUCCESSFUL ones (that do not result in metabolic and mental splats at the end) all follow the same theme:
    1/ eat less than you need, but not so little as to do yourself damage
    2/ weight train correctly with a low volume, high load resistance training
    3/ incorporate small amounts of cardio as required.
    4/ incorporate high calorie / high carb days as required. As you get leaner, you need more of these

    Over and above this - I don't believe in cookie cutter plans. You essentially need to play with what you need to suit your body / life.
    So, no, there isn't one method I suggest.


    And when you do start to 'gain weight' - you will gain all over... Where you gain first / faster - is a matter of genetics + training.

    Thanks for the explanation. Like I said, I'm new to this, so this is all helpful. I got the lifting part down; or, at least I feel confident about it and I've seen results. But, I'm still in learning mode on the nutrition side. I'm starting off a carb cycling plan today. Hopefully I can start learning more about what works and what does not work for my own body.

    Thanks, again!
    Reply With Quote

  23. #113
    Registered User HEYamandarae's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2012
    Location: Bakersfield, California, United States
    Stats: 5'1", 124 lbs
    Posts: 3
    Rep Power: 0
    HEYamandarae is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit HEYamandarae's BodySpace
    HEYamandarae is offline

    Talking :)

    Originally Posted by Emma-Leigh View Post
    best way to gain lean muscle:
    eat more food.
    train heavy with weights.
    do a little cardio to keep healthy.
    rest enough.


    best way to lose fat:
    eat less food.
    train heavy with weights.
    do more cardio to add to calorie deficit.
    rest enough.


    best way to waste money:
    buy lots of useless supplements thinking they will help magically with the above.
    amen.
    Reply With Quote

  24. #114
    Registered User Mijass2001's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2012
    Location: San Diego, California, United States
    Age: 28
    Stats: 5'6", 135 lbs
    Posts: 150
    Rep Power: 23
    Mijass2001 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mijass2001 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mijass2001 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mijass2001 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mijass2001 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mijass2001 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mijass2001 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mijass2001 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mijass2001 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mijass2001 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mijass2001 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Visit Mijass2001's BodySpace
    Mijass2001 is offline
    Very simple information, I like it ;-)

    Now if only I could work on the eating less... hmmmm.

    Originally Posted by Emma-Leigh View Post
    best way to gain lean muscle:
    eat more food.
    train heavy with weights.
    do a little cardio to keep healthy.
    rest enough.


    best way to lose fat:
    eat less food.
    train heavy with weights.
    do more cardio to add to calorie deficit.
    rest enough.


    best way to waste money:
    buy lots of useless supplements thinking they will help magically with the above.
    Competing in my first competition on March 16th (bikini class)! On a mission to cut some serious fat.
    "I've got Bengal tiger strength and English bulldog determination." Find me on Facebook, search San Diego Miss Fit!
    Reply With Quote

  25. #115
    Registered User kellibaresall's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2012
    Stats: 5'6", 122 lbs
    Posts: 9
    Rep Power: 0
    kellibaresall is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit kellibaresall's BodySpace
    kellibaresall is offline
    best way to gain lean muscle:
    eat more food.
    train heavy with weights.
    do a little cardio to keep healthy.
    rest enough.


    best way to lose fat:
    eat less food.
    train heavy with weights.
    do more cardio to add to calorie deficit.
    rest enough.


    best way to waste money:
    buy lots of useless supplements thinking they will help magically with the above.


    Love this, this is great!! What are your thoughts on getting rid of that little extra belly fat that prevents your ab muscles from showing... cardio or weights? I'm already doing some pretty intense lifting and my diet is very strict.
    Reply With Quote

  26. #116
    Registered User LadyMillionx's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2012
    Age: 23
    Stats: 5'4", 104 lbs
    Posts: 2
    Rep Power: 0
    LadyMillionx is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit LadyMillionx's BodySpace
    LadyMillionx is offline

    Hell

    I don't eat processed foods. I'm always under my calorie intake sometimes even bang on. I've tried eating less. I've tried eating more. I've tried it all. And what really gets to me is I'm still chubby. Sitting at 25% body fat. I don't eat junk food ever helppppppppp!!!!!!
    Reply With Quote

  27. #117
    Registered User babyyj1589's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2012
    Age: 21
    Stats: 5'4", 186 lbs
    Posts: 4
    Rep Power: 0
    babyyj1589 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit babyyj1589's BodySpace
    babyyj1589 is offline

    Exclamation Help

    Okay, so what is one to do..
    I am looking to lose 70lbs of fat.
    I'm new to this forum and not sure where to start.
    I'm currently 190 lbs and considered obese for 5'4. My BMI is 33. (horrible, and disgusting to think i fit into the 99% of Americans who are obese)
    I am constantly getting frustrated because i don't know how to achieve maximum results in the shortest amount of time. I 'm not a very active person. I have been to the gym before and i just feel lost. I know where i want to be i just do not know what path will lead me to it.

    I currently am not on any kind of diet, only because i don't know how many calories i should be eating a day to lose maximum fat. Or what types of foods to eat? I'm not sure how to incorporate protein shakes into my diet or when to drink them? As far as the gym goes.. I have no idea what i'm doing. How much cardio should i be doing? And what type? Should i lift any weights, even though i'm only focused on losing that 70lbs? I want to be a person who is healthy and in great shape, but i don't feel like i have any knowledge to make a plan. I would really like to make a plan for myself, because i feel i will stick to it that way. I also don't know how much sleep i should be getting?

    My gym is open 6 out of 7 days a week.. So i could go up to the 6 days.

    thanks, J
    Last edited by babyyj1589; 10-01-2012 at 06:52 AM.
    Reply With Quote

  28. #118
    Registered User babyyj1589's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2012
    Age: 21
    Stats: 5'4", 186 lbs
    Posts: 4
    Rep Power: 0
    babyyj1589 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit babyyj1589's BodySpace
    babyyj1589 is offline
    anybody?
    Originally Posted by babyyj1589 View Post
    Okay, so what is one to do..
    I am looking to lose 70lbs of fat.
    I'm new to this forum and not sure where to start.
    I'm currently 190 lbs and considered obese for 5'4. My BMI is 33. (horrible, and disgusting to think i fit into the 99% of Americans who are obese)
    I am constantly getting frustrated because i don't know how to achieve maximum results in the shortest amount of time. I 'm not a very active person. I have been to the gym before and i just feel lost. I know where i want to be i just do not know what path will lead me to it.

    I currently am not on any kind of diet, only because i don't know how many calories i should be eating a day to lose maximum fat. Or what types of foods to eat? I'm not sure how to incorporate protein shakes into my diet or when to drink them? As far as the gym goes.. I have no idea what i'm doing. How much cardio should i be doing? And what type? Should i lift any weights, even though i'm only focused on losing that 70lbs? I want to be a person who is healthy and in great shape, but i don't feel like i have any knowledge to make a plan. I would really like to make a plan for myself, because i feel i will stick to it that way. I also don't know how much sleep i should be getting?

    My gym is open 6 out of 7 days a week.. So i could go up to the 6 days.

    thanks, J
    Reply With Quote

  29. #119
    One More Rep! TwistedPandora's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2012
    Age: 45
    Stats: 5'2", 115 lbs
    Posts: 162
    Rep Power: 191
    TwistedPandora has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TwistedPandora has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TwistedPandora has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TwistedPandora has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TwistedPandora has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TwistedPandora has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TwistedPandora has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TwistedPandora has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TwistedPandora has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TwistedPandora has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TwistedPandora has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit TwistedPandora's BodySpace
    TwistedPandora is offline
    Originally Posted by babyyj1589 View Post
    anybody?
    There is a lot of information on this site, and knowledge, educating yourself about nutrition and healthy eating and what you need to fuel your body is a good place to start.

    Go here http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121703921 to work out how many calories you need, and learn about protein, fats and carbs and how much of each you need.

    As for training New Rules of Lifting for Women or Starting Strength are both good books which will have full programs that you can work through either with home equipment or at a gym.
    There are also programs here on this site such as the Jamie Eason LiveFit 12 week plan http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jami...t-trainer.html

    The main thing is to keep reading the forum stickies and threads, also filling in your bodyspace profile with information, statistics and photos will make it much easier for people to advise you if they can 'see' you and your body.
    Lost over 65lbs, and got some of my life back! I may be disabled, but don't underestimate me :)

    If it were easy everyone would do it!
    Reply With Quote

  30. #120
    Registered User babyyj1589's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2012
    Age: 21
    Stats: 5'4", 186 lbs
    Posts: 4
    Rep Power: 0
    babyyj1589 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit babyyj1589's BodySpace
    babyyj1589 is offline
    Thank you so much! I will deff be posting updates and photos as soon as a set a good plan for myself and get into the rhythm if things.

    J
    [QUOTE=TwistedPandora;957449833]There is a lot of information on this site, and knowledge, educating yourself about nutrition and healthy eating and what you need to fuel your body is a good place
    Reply With Quote

Reply
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 176
    Last Post: 04-09-2014, 09:27 PM
  2. lean muscle and burn fat
    By quickcougar03 in forum Nutrition
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-23-2011, 03:05 PM
  3. Best way to gain lean mass without gaing Fat
    By Jim Mory in forum Nutrition
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-07-2009, 09:23 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-26-2008, 04:54 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-06-2007, 05:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Home Store Products Careers Help Contact Us Terms of Use Checkout