mdmass06 is just really nice. (+1000) mdmass06 is just really nice. (+1000) mdmass06 is just really nice. (+1000) mdmass06 is just really nice. (+1000) mdmass06 is just really nice. (+1000) mdmass06 is just really nice. (+1000) mdmass06 is just really nice. (+1000) mdmass06 is just really nice. (+1000) mdmass06 is just really nice. (+1000) mdmass06 is just really nice. (+1000) mdmass06 is just really nice. (+1000)

Question about shoulders and incline press

Went back to my old gym today, they have one of those old school "pumping iron" incline benches that are just set at a certain angle. Any way I havent used that incline press in a long time, used it today and noticed that my front delts took up most of the work. How do I eliminate my shoulders from the incline? Do I need to used less weight and widen my grip? Any suggestions? Thank You!!
    Native warrior on the streets and in the sheets.

BRB... Eating a chicken askthetrainer's Avatar
    askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by mdmass06 View Post
    Went back to my old gym today, they have one of those old school "pumping iron" incline benches that are just set at a certain angle. Any way I havent used that incline press in a long time, used it today and noticed that my front delts took up most of the work. How do I eliminate my shoulders from the incline? Do I need to used less weight and widen my grip? Any s***estions? Thank You!!
    I take it you were using barbell press...

Unfortunately, It's always bothered me that most fixed incline benches are fixed at too steep an angle to actually focus on your pecs, of course your anterior delts and the clavicular portion of your pecs share the work but you still can't really focus on pecs at that high angle.

Solution: Get an adjustable incline bench and wheel it over to the squat rack and set up the incline barbell press to a lower angle (~30degrees?)

That is if you really want to do barbell incline because you can always use dumbbells .... as with all chest exercises you need to keep your scapulae retracted.
    Last edited by askthetrainer; 11-04-2009 at 12:22 PM.
    Contact me about our author Program

www.AskTheTrainer.com | Twitter.com/AskTheTrainer | ********.com/askthetrainercom

jamezgt is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamezgt is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamezgt is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamezgt is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamezgt is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamezgt is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamezgt is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamezgt is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamezgt is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamezgt is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamezgt is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    That is if you really want to do barbell incline because you can always do decline.... as with all chest exercises you need to keep your scapulae retracted.
    Good to know there is knowledgeable trainers out there
    http://www.TorontoFitness.org - Toronto's #1 Fitness Related Website

askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by jamezgt View Post
    Good to know there is knowledgeable trainers out there
    That is if you really want to do barbell incline because you can always do decline.... as with all chest exercises you need to keep your scapulae retracted.
    Sorry, The above statement is not what I meant to write

The bold should be "use dumbbells" not do decline.... doing 10 things at once...

www.AskTheTrainer.com | Twitter.com/AskTheTrainer | ********.com/askthetrainercom

jamezgt is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamezgt is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamezgt is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamezgt is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamezgt is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamezgt is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamezgt is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamezgt is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamezgt is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamezgt is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamezgt is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Why should you keep your scapula retracted in any chest exercise? I heard many things, but I would say it limits the protraction (use of serratus anterior) and have more focus on horzonital adduction on the shoulder joint for maximum chest recruitment.

What are your thoughts?
    http://www.TorontoFitness.org - Toronto's #1 Fitness Related Website

Originally Posted by jamezgt View Post
    Why should you keep your scapula retracted in any chest exercise? I heard many things, but I would say it limits the protraction (use of serratus anterior) and have more focus on horzonital adduction on the shoulder joint for maximum chest recruitment.

What are your thoughts?
    Read:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/progressive6.htm

mdmass06 is just really nice. (+1000) mdmass06 is just really nice. (+1000) mdmass06 is just really nice. (+1000) mdmass06 is just really nice. (+1000) mdmass06 is just really nice. (+1000) mdmass06 is just really nice. (+1000) mdmass06 is just really nice. (+1000) mdmass06 is just really nice. (+1000) mdmass06 is just really nice. (+1000) mdmass06 is just really nice. (+1000) mdmass06 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by askthetrainer View Post
    I take it you were using barbell press...

Unfortunately, It's always b***ed me that most fixed incline benches are fixed at too steep an angle to actually focus on your pecs, of course your anterior delts and the clavicular portion of your pecs share the work but you still can't really focus on pecs at that high angle.

Solution: Get an adjustable incline bench and wheel it over to the squat rack and set up the incline barbell press to a lower angle (~30degrees?)

That is if you really want to do barbell incline because you can always use dumbbells .... as with all chest exercises you need to keep your scapulae retracted.

lol duhh I shouldve thought of that!! Thanks man, yeah I like to throw in the barbells so I can use a little more weight, I workout alone so I cant go quite as heavy as I want with the dumbells its a pain in the ass to get em up in place, same as shoulder presses with dumbells, its actually harder to get the weight up in place then it is too actually press it lol, dont want to hurt myself either.
    Native warrior on the streets and in the sheets.

White_Belt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) White_Belt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) White_Belt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) White_Belt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) White_Belt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) White_Belt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) White_Belt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) White_Belt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) White_Belt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) White_Belt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) White_Belt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    So the scapula must be retracted the entire time?

jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    From studies and my own personal experience, keeping scapulars retracted brings the chest for ward and therefore you get a bigger stretch in the chest. It works the chest more than shoulders (compared to no retraction)

flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by mdmass06 View Post
    Went back to my old gym today, they have one of those old school "pumping iron" incline benches that are just set at a certain angle. Any way I havent used that incline press in a long time, used it today and noticed that my front delts took up most of the work. How do I eliminate my shoulders from the incline? Do I need to used less weight and widen my grip? Any s***estions? Thank You!!
    If you have too much of an incline the shoulder muscles come into play. Also you need to make sure your forearms are straight up and down so your shoulders won't assist in the movement.

jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by flexapeal View Post
    If you have too much of an incline the shoulder muscles come into play. Also you need to make sure your forearms are straight up and down so your shoulders won't assist in the movement.

do you mean will take over? shoulders are always involved.

flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    No........If your hands are not wide enough, you can cause a shoulder injury real easy. Too much of an incline takes the lift away from the chest and adds too the shoulders.

Originally Posted by flexapeal View Post
    No........If your hands are not wide enough, you can cause a shoulder injury real easy. Too much of an incline takes the lift away from the chest and adds too the shoulders.
    ummm...did i not just say that?

gunshowvinny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yup you're exactly correct. I was going to say the same thing actually but you beat me to it. I can tell you're experienced man props to you.

Remember when you're ready to do bench press that you have to pinch your scapula together, like he said, and NEVER concave your shoulders in. Keep the chest proud throughout the press

Originally Posted by jules_d1 View Post
    ummm...did i not just say that?
    ........nope