J.X is on a distinguished road. (+10) J.X is on a distinguished road. (+10) J.X is on a distinguished road. (+10) J.X is on a distinguished road. (+10) J.X is on a distinguished road. (+10) J.X is on a distinguished road. (+10) J.X is on a distinguished road. (+10) J.X is on a distinguished road. (+10) J.X is on a distinguished road. (+10) J.X is on a distinguished road. (+10) J.X is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Best Tricep Exercise - Dips?

Are doing dips the best tricep building exercise?
    I'm sure on some planet your style is impressive but your weak link is: This is Earth.

Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Using the search function is teh best exersize!
    My workout log ---> http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133269973

spicytunaroll will become famous soon enough. (+50) spicytunaroll will become famous soon enough. (+50) spicytunaroll will become famous soon enough. (+50) spicytunaroll will become famous soon enough. (+50) spicytunaroll will become famous soon enough. (+50) spicytunaroll will become famous soon enough. (+50) spicytunaroll will become famous soon enough. (+50) spicytunaroll will become famous soon enough. (+50) spicytunaroll will become famous soon enough. (+50) spicytunaroll will become famous soon enough. (+50) spicytunaroll will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Dips are a staple in my routine. I don't know if they are the best but they are effective. Depending on the angle of your body, you can focus on chest (leaning forward) or tri (staying straight). Also will blast your shoulders. Do em often.
    You are not overtraining! You are not a hardgainer! You are simply a lazy undereating pussy!

RIP Sweetie 2006-2010 Macrobolic's Avatar
    Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I don't know if it's the "best" exercise, but it is a very good exercise to build up the triceps. I don't think that there are "best" exercises because so many exercise stress a muscle in a slightly different way.

Variety is the spice of life. But I'd recommend cycling dips in and out of your triceps routine on a regular basis.
    "To close one's eyes will not ease another's pain" - Chinese Proverb
    "An outdoor dog has an address, not a home" -unknown

Modern
    Fitness
    Forum

Go
    There
    Now

EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    If you only want to do one exercise for your triceps, dips are a good choice. Other potential choices: close-grip bench press, skullcrushers, triceps extensions, and maybe pushdowns or kickbacks. Try them all, and pick the one which works the best for you.

gun-G is a name known to all. (+5000) gun-G is a name known to all. (+5000) gun-G is a name known to all. (+5000) gun-G is a name known to all. (+5000) gun-G is a name known to all. (+5000) gun-G is a name known to all. (+5000) gun-G is a name known to all. (+5000) gun-G is a name known to all. (+5000) gun-G is a name known to all. (+5000) gun-G is a name known to all. (+5000) gun-G is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by J.X View Post
    As a female you might want to use the dip machine to get in the 8-12 rep range? Might be tough to start on bodyweight dips.
    Biggest reason for posting..wanted to say: Tasty lookin' belly there.
    Carpe Diem, BABY

BigTimexXx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigTimexXx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigTimexXx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigTimexXx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigTimexXx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigTimexXx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigTimexXx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigTimexXx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigTimexXx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigTimexXx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigTimexXx has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Close-grip benches, JM presses, 4 board TNG presses for reps, dips, overhead dumbbell extensions, and floor tricep extensions with a fat bar are what I primarily use for tri's - I cycle in and out of different exercises. JM presses are my favorite.

But yes, dips are a great upper body exercise.

J.X is on a distinguished road. (+10) J.X is on a distinguished road. (+10) J.X is on a distinguished road. (+10) J.X is on a distinguished road. (+10) J.X is on a distinguished road. (+10) J.X is on a distinguished road. (+10) J.X is on a distinguished road. (+10) J.X is on a distinguished road. (+10) J.X is on a distinguished road. (+10) J.X is on a distinguished road. (+10) J.X is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by spicytunaroll View Post
    Dips are a staple in my routine. I don't know if they are the best but they are effective. Depending on the angle of your body, you can focus on chest (leaning forward) or tri (staying straight). Also will blast your shoulders. Do em often.
    Have not been doing this, I use self assisted machine BTW till my strength is up but I can change the angle. Excellent pt.!

Originally Posted by Macrobolic View Post
    I don't know if it's the "best" exercise, but it is a very good exercise to build up the triceps. I don't think that there are "best" exercises because so many exercise stress a muscle in a slightly different way.

Variety is the spice of life. But I'd recommend cycling dips in and out of your triceps routine on a regular basis.
    Got it. - ty!!

Originally Posted by EPMD View Post
    If you only want to do one exercise for your triceps, dips are a good choice. Other potential choices: close-grip bench press, skullcrushers, triceps extensions, and maybe pushdowns or kickbacks. Try them all, and pick the one which works the best for you.
    Great list, I will add the close-grip bench press, did not have that in my prog. but I have the rest.

Originally Posted by gun-G View Post
    As a female you might want to use the dip machine to get in the 8-12 rep range? Might be tough to start on bodyweight dips.
    Yep. That is what I am doing!! & ty!.........

Originally Posted by BigTimexXx View Post
    Close-grip benches, JM presses, 4 board TNG presses for reps, dips, overhead dumbbell extensions, and floor tricep extensions with a fat bar are what I primarily use for tri's - I cycle in and out of different exercises. JM presses are my favorite.
    Cool. I never heard of a JM presses or 4 board TNG presses are - I will look this one up. Overhead DB ext., got that.

I think overall my general prog. may need to be revises a bit but I will keep w/what I got and switch it up!!

THANK YOU ALL!! - Great "Specific" ans.......
    I'm sure on some planet your style is impressive but your weak link is: This is Earth.

md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000)
    My triceps have gotten to a pretty decent size relative to the rest of my body and I've never done a tricep isolation. It's actually pretty hard to isolate triceps entirely when you think about it, and not terribly necessary unless you're really fine-tuning.

I personally get enough tricep work from:

Dips
    Bench Press
    Overhead Press

... with as much weight as possible.

lamagic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lamagic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lamagic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lamagic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lamagic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lamagic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lamagic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lamagic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lamagic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lamagic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lamagic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    For me, the most effective tricep exercises:

1. Close Grip Bench Press
    2. Cable Tricep Pushdowns (with rope attachment)
    3. Dips ( I like to use 2 benches with a DB between my knees)
    Bart: What do we need church shoes for? Jesus wore sandals.
    Homer: Well, maybe if He had had better arch support, they wouldn't have caught 'im.

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    An incredible exercise is close grip bench on the Smith while lying on the floor.
    You don't have to balance anything which is an issue with close grip with a barbell.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

chenko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chenko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chenko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chenko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chenko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chenko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chenko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chenko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chenko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chenko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chenko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Skull crushers or overhead tricep extensions

Get someone knowledgeable to show you the correct form
    Everyday is a lesson. Listen.

iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I really do not think so and this is coming from someone who has done weighted and unweighted dips for 2.5 years now.. I would say you need to do something like dips, cable push downs, and an overhead extension type movement like larry scott tricep extensions or skullcrushers or something along those lines, to really get your triceps growing good.

(type in search "larry scott tricep extensions" , these are like by far the best to get your tricep sore the next day every single time)

JeffR88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JeffR88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JeffR88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JeffR88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JeffR88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JeffR88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JeffR88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JeffR88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JeffR88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JeffR88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JeffR88 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I love kickbacks, it always gets a good sweat going.

You can't sculpt a pebble Metal_Lust's Avatar
    Metal_Lust is just really nice. (+1000) Metal_Lust is just really nice. (+1000) Metal_Lust is just really nice. (+1000) Metal_Lust is just really nice. (+1000) Metal_Lust is just really nice. (+1000) Metal_Lust is just really nice. (+1000) Metal_Lust is just really nice. (+1000) Metal_Lust is just really nice. (+1000) Metal_Lust is just really nice. (+1000) Metal_Lust is just really nice. (+1000) Metal_Lust is just really nice. (+1000)
    I haven't tried dips in a long time but they would always feel like too much shoulder. After 2 shoulder injuries, im kinda hesitant to try them again(probably form) when I feel great doing rope pulldowns and skullcrushers(flat bench & the press too)
    Bodybuilders, Power lifters, Olympic lifters: We are ALL weight lifters!
    Enough with all the bull****.

"I want be able to do a bunch of different activities and still kick ass in the weight room. I want to be as mobile, flexible, strong, and in as good a condition as I possibly can."-Jim Wendler

Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    An incredible exercise is close grip bench on the Smith while lying on the floor.
    You don't have to balance anything which is an issue with close grip with a barbell.
    Cool. I got a Smith & I always liked the close grip bench, I will try this!

kiwidave1 is just really nice. (+1000) kiwidave1 is just really nice. (+1000) kiwidave1 is just really nice. (+1000) kiwidave1 is just really nice. (+1000) kiwidave1 is just really nice. (+1000) kiwidave1 is just really nice. (+1000) kiwidave1 is just really nice. (+1000) kiwidave1 is just really nice. (+1000) kiwidave1 is just really nice. (+1000) kiwidave1 is just really nice. (+1000) kiwidave1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by iliketojuggle View Post
    I really do not think so and this is coming from someone who has done weighted and unweighted dips for 2.5 years now.. I would say you need to do something like dips, cable push downs, and an overhead extension type movement like larry scott tricep extensions or skullcrushers or something along those lines, to really get your triceps growing good.

(type in search "larry scott tricep extensions" , these are like by far the best to get your tricep sore the next day every single time)

Tried the Larry Scott Tricep Extension last night after reading your post, and finding a video on youtube. I really, really like them and will now include them into my regular routine!

Triceps a little sore today and I normally don't get doms with my tris.

Thanks!

zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    my new favorite tricep isolation set is supersetting incline skull crushers and overhead cable presses. fries em every time!

Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    When I tried doing tricep dips today, I found it put alot of wieght on my shoulder/rotator cuff. Is that normal? I didn't feel the burn in my tricep whatsoever.

gOt2be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gOt2be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gOt2be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gOt2be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gOt2be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gOt2be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gOt2be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gOt2be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gOt2be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gOt2be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gOt2be has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by gun-G View Post
    I usually do dips as the last exercise on my chest/tri days. I use the machine, and go until I can't dip no more..
    Nomsayin?

Sweat Blood, Bleed Iron! TheStreetKing's Avatar
    TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by J.X View Post
    It's a toss up between Dips/Close Grip Bench!
    My Gym is my Church, My Sweat is my Prayers, My Strength is my Salvation, I Am Animal.

Loyalty above all else, Except Honor!

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Beachman View Post
    Using the search function is teh best exersize!
    ^^^ This.

djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Holly2710 View Post
    When I tried doing tricep dips today, I found it put alot of wieght on my shoulder/rotator cuff. Is that normal? I didn't feel the burn in my tricep whatsoever.
    were you fresh? or was this one of the last moves in your workout? Dips require a fair bit of initial strenght to get right, they are also more challenging for women. I say practice on a assisted dip station just to get the feel for it.
    “You never won’t know what you can’t achieve until you don’t achieve it.”

Sickboy_4ever is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Sickboy_4ever is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Sickboy_4ever is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Sickboy_4ever is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Sickboy_4ever is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Sickboy_4ever is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Sickboy_4ever is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Sickboy_4ever is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Sickboy_4ever is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Sickboy_4ever is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Sickboy_4ever is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    I don't know the name of my favourite triceps exercise, although I'm a gym instructor and a Pt, I have never seen anyone else in my gym do it. I guess it's somewhat a rare exercise.

Anyway, I would call it as "seated close grip military tricep press". It probably has a real name, I just don't know it.

Basically you take a narrow grip from the bar and just lower it close to your head while keeping your elbows on the side. Then you just push it back up. Easy and effective, at least I think so. This is really one of my favourite exercises at the moment.

snowgrip has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    -dips
    -close grip bench
    -skull crushers

Ironfreak220 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ironfreak220 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ironfreak220 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ironfreak220 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ironfreak220 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ironfreak220 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ironfreak220 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ironfreak220 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ironfreak220 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ironfreak220 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ironfreak220 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by lamagic View Post
    For me, the most effective tricep exercises:

1. Close Grip Bench Press
    2. Cable Tricep Pushdowns (with rope attachment)
    3. Dips ( I like to use 2 benches with a DB between my knees)
    Thats my fav, I do that a lot in my off-season.
    Bodybuilding is not just a hobby, it's a way of life.

"Never Fall, Never Fail, and Never Die!"
    MuscleTech Athlete
    NPC Bodybuilder
    FST-7 Trained