Thread: bodyfat/muscle

jchi81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

bodyfat/muscle

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on losing bf and turning it into muscle. I'm currently around 185lbs and 12-13% bf. I'm really trying to lose the bodyfat and looking for some advice on the best way to do it...ie; supplements? food? change my workout?

Any advice would be a great help.

hublife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hublife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hublife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hublife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hublife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hublife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hublife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hublife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hublife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hublife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hublife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Increase Protein, Decrease Calories, Increase Cardio = lower BF%

Ephrem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ephrem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ephrem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ephrem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ephrem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ephrem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ephrem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ephrem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ephrem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ephrem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ephrem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    specifically HIITS in between lifting days and light cardio on lifting days
    "The only place Success comes before Work, is in the dictionary"

mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by jchi81 View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has any advice on losing bf and turning it into muscle. I'm currently around 185lbs and 12-13% bf. I'm really trying to lose the bodyfat and looking for some advice on the best way to do it...ie; supplements? food? change my workout?

diet first and foremost.

if you need a bit of help getting your nutrition together here's a free ebook

exercise alone doesn't work; need diet; diet is the key. consider that 20mins of HIIT = 200 cals. That's two pieces of bread. WHich is easier/faster to cut to get towards caloric deficit?

exercise is great for health and well being, but it's not the primary driver for weight loss.

best
    mc

White_Belt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) White_Belt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) White_Belt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) White_Belt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) White_Belt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) White_Belt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) White_Belt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) White_Belt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) White_Belt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) White_Belt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) White_Belt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)

You cannot "turn" bodyfat into muscle, you can lose bodyfat and retain your current muscle and therefore look leaner and more muscular, look into diets stated above as well as the nutrition/ketosis sections on this site.

hublife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hublife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hublife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hublife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hublife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hublife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hublife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hublife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hublife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hublife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hublife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by mc- View Post
    diet first and foremost.

exercise is great for health and well being, but it's not the primary driver for weight loss.
    Your post was correct but you didn't pay attention to the question. He's trying to reduce FAT not weight.

mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by hublife View Post
    Your post was correct but you didn't pay attention to the question. He's trying to reduce FAT not weight.
    so? i'm not seeing the distinction.
    to reduce fat you have to be in caloric deficit. doesn't matter whether you want to build muscle or not.

if you're a neophyte at this, you're in the happy place of being able to do both for awhile while going into caloric deficit.

but as you likely know, you gotta choose your PRIMARY focus, which sounds like shedding fat. "I'm really trying to lose the bodyfat and looking for some advice on the best way to do it." hence caloric deficit. no other way around it.

or am i missing your point?

mc

flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Yeah, you can't turn fat into any kind of muscle. You can reduce and lose the fat though. Once your body fat decreases your muscles begin to show more definition. To answer your question on supps. food. and change your workout, the answer would be all of the above. Its gonna take time, patience and hard work. Has your bodyfat dropped recently or has it kind of stalled?

I didn't hear no bell! Rap_Rocky's Avatar
    Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    diet first and foremost.

if you need a bit of help getting your nutrition together here's a free ebook

exercise alone doesn't work; need diet; diet is the key. consider that 20mins of HIIT = 200 cals. That's two pieces of bread. WHich is easier/faster to cut to get towards caloric deficit?

best
    mc
    Um, when you referred "exercise" as not being the primary driver for weight loss, do you mean cardio, strength training, or just exercise in general? Because, if he's trying to get definition or tone, then strength training is going to be key. But I will agree that "cardio" isn't necessary for weight loss.
    I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying.
    I'm not out there sweating for three hours every day just to find out what it feels like to sweat.

Originally Posted by Rap_Rocky View Post
    Um, when you referred "exercise" as not being the primary driver for weight loss, do you mean cardio, strength training, or just exercise in general? Because, if he's trying to get definition or tone, then strength training is going to be key. But I will agree that "cardio" isn't necessary for weight loss.
    no exercise is necessary for weight loss. let's just stick with the weight loss thing. building muscle is completely different. you can't build any muscle without challenging muscle which means load/angle/speed/recovery etc.

THere have been at least three studies now that show if you want to lose weight and you just exercise with no diet component you can fah get it.

SO again, exercise OF ANY KIND is not the PRIMARY driver for weight loss. It's supplemental to weight loss.

It may be primary for endurance or for power but it is not for weight loss.

best
    mc

PorkayChopz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PorkayChopz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PorkayChopz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PorkayChopz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PorkayChopz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PorkayChopz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PorkayChopz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PorkayChopz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PorkayChopz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PorkayChopz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PorkayChopz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cardio!

Hi, I'm guessing your a bit like me we're around the same bodyfat etc.

My tip is definately have a solid diet, but im sure u already have one. I don't recommend going on a cutting diet as you'll probably lose too much muscle and undo the good work you've done. But i think if you have a solid diet that's helped you to gain weight whilst maintaining your BF at 12-13% then you should stick to it.

My advice however is to do with cardio what sort of cardio are you doing? Burning FAT the KEY IS LOW INTENSITY CARDIO I.E. 70-85% MAX HEART RATE! This is because your body burns fats( triglycerides) while in that zone as they require more oxygen. When you work above that zone you start to burn carbs (glycogen) as they require less oxygen. SO LOW INTENSITY CARDIO! YES THAT MEANS WALKING! I know it's boring but hey u want that 6 pack right :P! I'm after the same thing but i wanna get bigger first haha!

Good luck hope this helps.

Originally Posted by PorkayChopz View Post
    Hi, I'm guessing your a bit like me we're around the same bodyfat etc.

My tip is definately have a solid diet, but im sure u already have one. I don't recommend going on a cutting diet as you'll probably lose too much muscle and undo the good work you've done. But i think if you have a solid diet that's helped you to gain weight whilst maintaining your BF at 12-13% then you should stick to it.

My advice however is to do with cardio what sort of cardio are you doing? Burning FAT the KEY IS LOW INTENSITY CARDIO I.E. 70-85% MAX HEART RATE! This is because your body burns fats( triglycerides) while in that zone as they require more oxygen. When you work above that zone you start to burn carbs (glycogen) as they require less oxygen. SO LOW INTENSITY CARDIO! YES THAT MEANS WALKING! I know it's boring but hey u want that 6 pack right :P! I'm after the same thing but i wanna get bigger first haha!

Good luck hope this helps.
    er no this is not right
    70-85% max for one is not "low intensity" - that is right at the cusp at 85 of going anaerobic. 55-65 is "low" intensity - like doing a warmup

we are always using all energy systems just in different rates

the reason for HIIT based cardio approaches is several fold: one is to get more caloric bang for your buck than steady state in a given unit of time because calories burned is calories burned; the other is the overall value in terms of oxidative capacity - development of mitochondria which are little fat burners which well the more you have the more mouths to feed. here's a ref.

likewise, greater fat mobilization can occur in interval work such as 8 on hard/12 recovery for 20 mins because of the hormones triggered. doing lighter steady state after to hoover 'em up is not a bad plan.

hope that helps

but sport, caloric DEFICIT from diet rules.

mc

wilson1980 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    diet first and foremost.

diet is the key. consider that 20mins of HIIT = 200 cals. That's two pieces of bread. WHich is easier/faster to cut to get towards caloric deficit?

best
    mc

good point there bud. some off the times ive had couple bits off toast with jam an hour or 2 before hittin the gym and im wonderin how i canna get this wee belly away lol

BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    er no this is not right
    70-85% max for one is not "low intensity" - that is right at the cusp at 85 of going anaerobic. 55-65 is "low" intensity - like doing a warmup

we are always using all energy systems just in different rates

the reason for HIIT based cardio approaches is several fold: one is to get more caloric bang for your buck than steady state in a given unit of time because calories burned is calories burned; the other is the overall value in terms of oxidative capacity - development of mitochondria which are little fat burners which well the more you have the more mouths to feed. here's a ref.

likewise, greater fat mobilization can occur in interval work such as 8 on hard/12 recovery for 20 mins because of the hormones triggered. doing lighter steady state after to hoover 'em up is not a bad plan.

hope that helps

but sport, caloric DEFICIT from diet rules.

mc
    Problem is, most people do ****T, Super HITT, and stay above their AT for the majority of their workout.

flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The more muscle you build, the easier it is to lose bodyfat. The more calories you burn, the less bodyfat you'll have. You may lose some overall weight while dropping some bodyfat but as long as your muscle grow, so will your weight.

jchi81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ok guys, here's the deal...maybe I wasn't as specific as I should have been.

The last 9 or so months I wanted to gain. I went from 9% bodyfat and around 173 pounds up to 12-13% bodyfat and 185 pounds. I'm at what I would like to weigh (maybe when I get bored try and hit 190) but I'd like it to show more. Sure I look "bigger", but when I take off my shirt I want to look "cut up"

My personal trainer did an awesome job showing me how to work out and gain mass. However; when I met with him I told him just that "I want to gain more muscle" Now I'm at the point where I want to keep all my muscle and get my bodyfat down to about 8%...I think If I do this I'll get a more "shredded" look.

Cardio seems to be a sticky subject, because from what I hear it can actually "eat away" at your muscles....I dont' want this!!

I want to keep my muscle/mass and just lose that bit of bodyfat. My workouts now are mostly strength training i.e.; lifting weights with minimal cardio. If you take a look at my progress pics it shows my progress from the last year and a half or so.

So in a nutshell I guess I'm asking for advice on losing my bodyfat while keeping my muscle...is this possible???

Thanks again guys.

Ok guys, here's the deal...maybe I wasn't as specific as I should have been.

The last 9 or so months I wanted to gain. I went from 9% bodyfat and around 173 pounds up to 12-13% bodyfat and 185 pounds. I'm at what I would like to weigh (maybe when I get bored try and hit 190) but I'd like it to show more. Sure I look "bigger", but when I take off my shirt I want to look "cut up"

My personal trainer did an awesome job showing me how to work out and gain mass. However; when I met with him I told him just that "I want to gain more muscle" Now I'm at the point where I want to keep all my muscle and get my bodyfat down to about 8%...I think If I do this I'll get a more "shredded" look.

Cardio seems to be a sticky subject, because from what I hear it can actually "eat away" at your muscles....I dont' want this!!

I want to keep my muscle/mass and just lose that bit of bodyfat. My workouts now are mostly strength training i.e.; lifting weights with minimal cardio. If you take a look at my progress pics it shows my progress from the last year and a half or so.

So in a nutshell I guess I'm asking for advice on losing my bodyfat while keeping my muscle...is this possible???

Thanks again guys.
    Ah yes the myths of cardio.
    no it doesn't eat your muscle!
    the short answer is to get into caloric deficit, as said.
    nothing there changes.
    keep up your resistance work, and if you want to get some extra fat burning kick, through in HIIT a couple days a week and some steady state cardio the rest. but the critical thing is: caloric reduction. WIthout that doesn't matter what you do, the fat doesn't go down. it's really simple. the best way to get to caloric reduction if you're already working out is start dropping 250kcals a day for a couple weeks; reassess.
    you'll likely look bigger when you drop the fat even though you'll weigh less.

mc

carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Mc: I went to your link to veiw the research but its a sight for a company. I found no reasearch articles to support your theory. I don't disagree with your premis but wanted clerification on your statment, "THere have been at least three studies now that show if you want to lose weight and you just exercise with no diet component you can fah get it.". Seems to me that by increasing your energy output you increase your need for more calories there for adding weight lifting or any physical activity and keeping your diet the same would result in weight lose.
    I would like to see the reseach that you linked to I may have simply mised the link on the company page its happened before, If you could provide a dirrect link or where the link is in the company sight it would be helpful.

Originally Posted by carl.c View Post
    Mc: I went to your link to veiw the research but its a sight for a company. I found no reasearch articles to support your theory. I don't disagree with your premis but wanted clerification on your statment, "THere have been at least three studies now that show if you want to lose weight and you just exercise with no diet component you can fah get it.". Seems to me that by increasing your energy output you increase your need for more calories there for adding weight lifting or any physical activity and keeping your diet the same would result in weight lose.
    I would like to see the reseach that you linked to I may have simply mised the link on the company page its happened before, If you could provide a dirrect link or where the link is in the company sight it would be helpful.
    well you are right
    the ref links have rotted. phooey!
    i will get the original two for you; here's the third.

mc