allieninja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) allieninja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) allieninja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) allieninja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) allieninja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) allieninja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) allieninja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) allieninja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) allieninja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) allieninja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) allieninja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Bulk - NROLFW or Starting Strength?

My current thinking is to take advantage of all this holiday food that will be coming up (hehe) and work on a clean bulk to add some muscle mass over the winter, of course trying to keep fat gain to a minimum.

I usually use my own program consisting of mainly compound lifts but I'm thinking of maybe going with a program. I took a month off from training in Oct due to illness/etc. So I figure I have from now until about April/May to pack on some muscle before I need to start cutting for summer.

I have the book New Rules Of Lifting For Women. I am also going to buy Starting Strength. I figured I'd post this in the female section so I could get females' perspectives on these two programs. Should I do NROL, SS, or both this winter? And if both, which should I focus on first?

Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    NROL is a great program for building fitness and strength, correcting imbalances, and getting into weight training. It's a great program for anyone looking to get "back to basics."

That said, Alwyn didn't design the program to be a bulking program per se. I wouldn't go with it as there are better bulking programs out there and I think Alwyn would agree with me on this.

I just bought Starting Strength and it's not really even a program. It is the best resource I've ever seen for learning and coaching the major barbell lifts properly and without injury and I recommend it to anyone who plans on doing any serious barbell lifting.

Take a look at the regular New Rules of Lifting book. It has programs for bulking in it.

juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I agree with Emoore. NROL is a great program, but not for bulking per se.
    I like Waterbury's Programs, Total Body Training is pretty good and gives you a lot of flexibility.

Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have never read NROLFW but i have Starting Strength and it is a great book.

But SS is not a book for beginers so if you are just starting out i would suggest going with NROLFW.

Once you get the hang of it, SS is a book that will be your bible for great lifts. I have been lifting for 6 years and after reading this book, i realized that i didn't know squat!

allieninja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) allieninja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) allieninja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) allieninja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) allieninja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) allieninja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) allieninja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) allieninja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) allieninja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) allieninja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) allieninja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Linds33 View Post
    I have never read NROLFW but i have Starting Strength and it is a great book.

But SS is not a book for beginers so if you are just starting out i would suggest going with NROLFW.

Once you get the hang of it, SS is a book that will be your bible for great lifts. I have been lifting for 6 years and after reading this book, i realized that i didn't know squat!
    I'm definitely not a beginner, but I'm not going to say I don't have a lot to learn.

From what I remember when reading NROLFW, it seemed as if they were still somewhat concerned with weightloss instead of mass gains. Do you girls feel that is the case? If so maybe I will do SS heavily until about April and then switch to NR once I want to start cutting again. Any thoughts?

sacha2 is just really nice. (+1000) sacha2 is just really nice. (+1000) sacha2 is just really nice. (+1000) sacha2 is just really nice. (+1000) sacha2 is just really nice. (+1000) sacha2 is just really nice. (+1000) sacha2 is just really nice. (+1000) sacha2 is just really nice. (+1000) sacha2 is just really nice. (+1000) sacha2 is just really nice. (+1000) sacha2 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have done both. I strongly recommend Starting Strength for your goals. Both are good - but Starting Strength is about bulking and increasing strength (which of course leads to mass). My deadlifts went from about 110 to 190lbs in 3 months.

Glamorous has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Glamorous has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Glamorous has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Glamorous has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Glamorous has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Glamorous has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Glamorous has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Glamorous has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Glamorous has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Glamorous has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Glamorous has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I've been doing Strong Lifts, which is very similar to Starting Strength (from what I can tell). I love the program - it's easy to follow with a set program and you will make gains weekly. Period. I like that going in and out of the gym only takes 45min-1 hr, depending on the day.

MY personal complaint is that I am not trying to bulk, so I have been fairly plateau'd on the program for a while. I have been using it for about 8 months...I am going to start something else to help shed body fat, but I think if you are trying to bulk - SS would be a good program.

In 8 months my lifts did this:

BB bench: 45lbs - 80lbs
    DL: 45lbs - 180lbs
    Squat (cant say as I have horrible hip and ankle flexibility. I can't properly do them)
    Overhead BB press: 20lbs - 55lbs

I can't comment on the other program - but I tend to avoid a lot of programs aimed specifically at women.

GL
    Hard work = Hard body.

Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by allieninja View Post
    I'm definitely not a beginner, but I'm not going to say I don't have a lot to learn.

From what I remember when reading NROLFW, it seemed as if they were still somewhat concerned with weightloss instead of mass gains. Do you girls feel that is the case? If so maybe I will do SS heavily until about April and then switch to NR once I want to start cutting again. Any thoughts?
    SS may be your best bet then! I have noticed some crazy strength gains in the last few months since i started with it. It will also help you put on muscle as long as you have the right diet.

I actually visited his gym and it is one of the best that i have ever been to. It inspired me to invest in some bumper plates!