Thread: Shoulder pain

BarneyfromON has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Shoulder pain

When ever i start to go heavy on the bench press i start to get shoulder joint pain. When i press i make sure that my elbows do not drop below 90 degrees..only to chest. the bar doesnt touch my chest. When i go lower ( bar touches chest pain increases). I do a warm up set and stretch before and after..

Any suggestions?

Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by BarneyfromON View Post
    When ever i start to go heavy on the bench press i start to get shoulder joint pain. When i press i make sure that my elbows do not drop below 90 degrees..only to chest. the bar doesnt touch my chest. When i go lower ( bar touches chest pain increases). I do a warm up set and stretch before and after..

Any suggestions?
    Try doing your bench work with dumbells

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz

Any suggestions?

Yes. If your problem is form-related, this will help:

If you have an issue with body mechanics, seek out a substitute exercise. Dumbbells can work well in this situation. HammerStrength equipment may prove to be a solution, as well.

As always, the bottom line is, if it hurts, don't do it.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Woolly_Manmoth will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woolly_Manmoth will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woolly_Manmoth will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woolly_Manmoth will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woolly_Manmoth will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woolly_Manmoth will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woolly_Manmoth will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woolly_Manmoth will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woolly_Manmoth will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woolly_Manmoth will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woolly_Manmoth will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Any suggestions?

I've got the same problem. Try getting a good arch in your back or lifting off a board, its what worked for me

gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Bring your elbows in.
    Being a real lifter is not about a number, or a medal, or somebody else telling you that you are a real lifter. It is about commitment to the iron and strength of purpose.

Originally Posted by Woolly_Manmoth View Post
    I've got the same problem. Try getting a good arch in your back or lifting off a board, its what worked for me
    Afraid to arch back due to having a weak lower back from a previous injury

Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Afraid to arch back due to having a weak lower back from a previous injury
    Try the dumbell idea I have the same issue when I use a barbell. I swithed to dumbells and have no problems anymore. plus I feel db's give me a better workout. You do have to develope your technique at getting the dumbells up into position. I don't know how strong you are but once you start pushing 80-100 lbs db's there is no easy way to just muscle them up you will need to roll back onto the bench with them.

Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by gbg View Post
    Bring your elbows in.
    This^^^

Are you using Fish Oil? Also Triflex for GNC really helped my shoulder a bunch. You doing any rotator work? If not back off on bench and spend a few weeks focusing on your rotators.
    Was friends with Methuselah

billrich210 is just really nice. (+1000) billrich210 is just really nice. (+1000) billrich210 is just really nice. (+1000) billrich210 is just really nice. (+1000) billrich210 is just really nice. (+1000) billrich210 is just really nice. (+1000) billrich210 is just really nice. (+1000) billrich210 is just really nice. (+1000) billrich210 is just really nice. (+1000) billrich210 is just really nice. (+1000) billrich210 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I had the same problem for a while. Did my presses with DB's and heavy on the machines for a month. Back on the flat bench BB now with no pain and to top it off this morning I added 10 lbs on all 4 sets, up from a month ago. Also I have been warming up with 3 sets of 20 (slow) pushups, I think that helps.
    Strength and wisdom are not opposing values.

Thanks folks for your input

M-RAP will become famous soon enough. (+50) M-RAP will become famous soon enough. (+50) M-RAP will become famous soon enough. (+50) M-RAP will become famous soon enough. (+50) M-RAP will become famous soon enough. (+50) M-RAP will become famous soon enough. (+50) M-RAP will become famous soon enough. (+50) M-RAP will become famous soon enough. (+50) M-RAP will become famous soon enough. (+50) M-RAP will become famous soon enough. (+50) M-RAP will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I had same problem, but pain was a result from grappling type training in the Army. Not sure if it's same with you but. I felt pain when I first lift. Once muscle warmed up, pain subsided but was still there. I continued work outs at lower weights until, I guess it healed up. I was on low weight for about 1 & 1/2 months.

I'd say try using lower weights, while continue with same excercise routines. If pain persists might want to see the doc.

Nerd BB'r in Japan! jerrycarroll's Avatar
    jerrycarroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) jerrycarroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) jerrycarroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) jerrycarroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) jerrycarroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) jerrycarroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) jerrycarroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) jerrycarroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) jerrycarroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) jerrycarroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) jerrycarroll is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Remember that Bench is not that important unless you are completing in a bench or PL comp.. I have done well in shaping my chest without even touching a bar...I do that because i too have shoulder issues that creep up despite on the joijnt supps I take.
    Stay away from the bench for a while and then see how your shoulder feels 2-3 months later on the bench. I am able to maintain a 315 x3 bench (after a very good warm-up)without touching the bench for nearly a year now. I just test myself once every 3 months.
    "Integrity is paramount"--J. A. Carroll

"Never tell someone how to do something. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." --Gen. Patton

Murphy's Law: The probability of a data crash is directly proportional to the length of time since the last backup.

"Asking a question is not stupid. Stupid is pretending you know the answer or ignoring the problem." - J.A.Carroll

"Stay positive, that and good food is very anabolic!" J A Carroll

jerrycarroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) jerrycarroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) jerrycarroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) jerrycarroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) jerrycarroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) jerrycarroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) jerrycarroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) jerrycarroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) jerrycarroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) jerrycarroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) jerrycarroll is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post

As always, the bottom line is, if it hurts, don't do it.
    AMEN brother!!

"Never tell someone how to do something. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." --Gen. Patton

Murphy's Law: The probability of a data crash is directly proportional to the length of time since the last backup.

"Asking a question is not stupid. Stupid is pretending you know the answer or ignoring the problem." - J.A.Carroll

stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by jerrycarroll View Post
    Remember that Bench is not that important unless you are completing in a bench or PL comp.. I have done well in shaping my chest without even touching a bar...I do that because i too have shoulder issues that creep up despite on the joijnt supps I take.
    Stay away from the bench for a while and then see how your shoulder feels 2-3 months later on the bench. I am able to maintain a 315 x3 bench (after a very good warm-up)without touching the bench for nearly a year now. I just test myself once every 3 months.
    What exercises do you do for chest then? I'm experiencing the same problem,..Dr. has it narrowed down to Bicep tendon connected to the shoulder joint.
    2009 NGA Masters Pro Bodybuilder and Athlete.

"I dont stop when Im tired,..I stop when Im done"

Originally Posted by stayfit2008 View Post
    What exercises do you do for chest then? I'm experiencing the same problem,..Dr. has it narrowed down to Bicep tendon connected to the shoulder joint.

decline flyes, bench fliyes, incline flyes
    dumbells, cables.
    dips
    dumbell pullovers
    find what hits the muscles the hardest without the shoulder pain and then work it!

tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Saying that you always get shoulder probs when you approach a certain load is very indicative of an impingement. In my case the problem was with instability of my scaps causing the impingement. As my upper back got stronger and more stable, my pushing went up as well. It now makes perfect sense...my arms are attached to my scaps. The scaps are the foundation for the arms!

I would get assessed by a good PT for that. You will never be able to break through that ceiling as long as the bases for the impingement goes untreated.

A good read on the subject: http://www.tmuscle.com/article/perfo...and_shrugs&cr=
    Last edited by tonester; 11-03-2009 at 04:05 AM.
    "Adapt and overcome."

"Everything you need is inside you."