Thread: Bulky abs/core

ej2718 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Bulky abs/core

I just started going to the gym and I was thinking how I could get bulky abs/core rather than flat abs, so that I could fill that gap or curve on the side of my body.
    What kind of exercises are best at building upper obliques or whatever muscles there may be on the lower part of my rib cage?

So anyway how could I get a bulky core like Usain Bolt or someone like that, to really get a legit V rather than a Y or an X taper?
    Last edited by ej2718; 11-27-2014 at 12:23 PM.

Kelto10 is not very helpful. (-500) Kelto10 is not very helpful. (-500) Kelto10 is not very helpful. (-500) Kelto10 is not very helpful. (-500) Kelto10 is not very helpful. (-500) Kelto10 is not very helpful. (-500) Kelto10 is not very helpful. (-500) Kelto10 is not very helpful. (-500) Kelto10 is not very helpful. (-500) Kelto10 is not very helpful. (-500) Kelto10 is not very helpful. (-500)
    Don't think I understand... heavy squats and deadlifts work your core a lot?

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ej2718 View Post
    I just started going to the gym and I was thinking how I could get bulky abs/core rather than flat abs, so that I could fill that gap or curve on the side of my body.
    What kind of exercises are best at building upper obliques or whatever muscles there may be on the lower part of my rib cage?

So anyway how could I get a bulky core like Usain Bolt or someone like that, to really get a legit V rather than a Y or an X taper?
    Much of it is genetics, but focus on resistance work when targeting the core. Also, since you're just starting out, keep in mind that a profound difference between width (shoulder to waist) is ideal and more core bulk won't necessarily achieve that.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

ej2718 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by DJAuto View Post
    Much of it is genetics, but focus on resistance work when targeting the core. Also, since you're just starting out, keep in mind that a profound difference between width (shoulder to waist) is ideal and more core bulk won't necessarily achieve that.
    Can you recommend some resistance exercises for the core? thanks for the replies.

You hit like a vegetarian Superh1's Avatar
    Superh1 is just really nice. (+1000) Superh1 is just really nice. (+1000) Superh1 is just really nice. (+1000) Superh1 is just really nice. (+1000) Superh1 is just really nice. (+1000) Superh1 is just really nice. (+1000) Superh1 is just really nice. (+1000) Superh1 is just really nice. (+1000) Superh1 is just really nice. (+1000) Superh1 is just really nice. (+1000) Superh1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I know what you mean OP. People get flat abs because they don't actually hit them directly, or they only train them on a cut.

Just make sure you train them regularly a few times a week like the rest of your body with a heavy weight. I'd say 10 reps is probably optimal for that. Try cable crunches for starters. That should be all you need till you max the machine out.