nghertz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Exclamation Chest Press vs. Chest Flies | Which one is the best?

Hey,

I'm a newbie at bb.

Which exercise do you recommend me for faster gains.

It say's here that both of them develops the same muscle. The "Pectoralis Major" but I do not know witch one is more effective.

Dumbell BP

Dumbell Flies

And if you recommend me dumbell flies which one incline or decline?
    Last edited by nghertz; 10-28-2009 at 03:17 PM.

Registered User LatinoMusculito's Avatar
    LatinoMusculito will become famous soon enough. (+50) LatinoMusculito will become famous soon enough. (+50) LatinoMusculito will become famous soon enough. (+50) LatinoMusculito will become famous soon enough. (+50) LatinoMusculito will become famous soon enough. (+50) LatinoMusculito will become famous soon enough. (+50) LatinoMusculito will become famous soon enough. (+50) LatinoMusculito will become famous soon enough. (+50) LatinoMusculito will become famous soon enough. (+50) LatinoMusculito will become famous soon enough. (+50) LatinoMusculito will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Press.

DB/BB. Do both.
    "A man becomes what he thinks about."

CaliBakes is a name known to all. (+5000) CaliBakes is a name known to all. (+5000) CaliBakes is a name known to all. (+5000) CaliBakes is a name known to all. (+5000) CaliBakes is a name known to all. (+5000) CaliBakes is a name known to all. (+5000) CaliBakes is a name known to all. (+5000) CaliBakes is a name known to all. (+5000) CaliBakes is a name known to all. (+5000) CaliBakes is a name known to all. (+5000) CaliBakes is a name known to all. (+5000)
    dumbell flys flaten your chest, like if your chest's too bulky and the dumbell press will give u size, it will build your chest outwards

EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You could make a routine without flys and still get by, but a routine without either incline or flat bench press is incomplete.

GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you want to build your chest, do d'bell presses. You can handle more weight and more weight plus decent nutrition plus time=larger muscles. Nothing wrong with flyes but you just can't handle a whole lot of weight compared to the d'bell benches. If you're into hypertrophy, do both; start off with either flat or incline presses for chest, then either incline or decline flyes. Pay attention to how you feel to the presses and flyes; I get nothing from doing flat flyes and benches, so I dropped them and do low-incline presses and decline presses and flyes as they give me a better feeling. You may respond differently, so experiment a little and see which suits you best.
    "Don't call me Miss Kitty. Just...don't."--Catnip. Check out the Catnip Trilogy on Amazon.com

"Chivalry isn't dead. It just wears a skirt."--Twisted, the YA gender bender deal of the century!

Check out my links to Mr. Taxi, Star Maps, and other fine YA Action/Romance novels at http://www.amazon.com/J.S.-Frankel/e/B004XUUTB8/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

kgcolbyIII is on a distinguished road. (+10) kgcolbyIII is on a distinguished road. (+10) kgcolbyIII is on a distinguished road. (+10) kgcolbyIII is on a distinguished road. (+10) kgcolbyIII is on a distinguished road. (+10) kgcolbyIII is on a distinguished road. (+10) kgcolbyIII is on a distinguished road. (+10) kgcolbyIII is on a distinguished road. (+10) kgcolbyIII is on a distinguished road. (+10) kgcolbyIII is on a distinguished road. (+10) kgcolbyIII is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by EPMD View Post
    You could make a routine without flys and still get by, but a routine without either incline or flat bench press is incomplete.
    Originally Posted by LatinoMusculito View Post
    Press.

DB/BB. Do both.

^^^Agree with both, been doing both and have had great growth.

Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    It's not that either is better, it's just that they are different. Same with incline vs flat.

Presses use the anterior deltoids and triceps a bit - thus they're called a "compound movement." Flyes isolate the pecs more, using less triceps and anterior delts. So more of the stress is on the pecs...yet you have to use a lighter weight. So...

If picking between the two, go with presses as they are more "functional" if you will. Yet flyes are great too, especially if you have good, strong triceps yet weak pecs.

Hope that helps a bit.

All the best in your bodybuilding endeavors.
    Dr Clay Hyght, DC, CSCS, CISSN
    www.DrClay.com

www.Labrada.com

Labrada Nutrition: "The Most Trusted Name in Sports Nutrition!"

The above is for informational purposes only and is not meant to be used as medical advice. Always consult your doctor prior to beginning any new diet, supplementation, or exercise program.

hellawaits77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hellawaits77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hellawaits77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hellawaits77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hellawaits77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hellawaits77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hellawaits77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hellawaits77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hellawaits77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hellawaits77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hellawaits77 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Both. Begin your workout with presses, as you can do more weight; and perform flyes later.

markobabic16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) markobabic16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) markobabic16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) markobabic16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) markobabic16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) markobabic16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) markobabic16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) markobabic16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) markobabic16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) markobabic16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) markobabic16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by CaliBakes View Post
    dumbell flys flaten your chest, like if your chest's too bulky and the dumbell press will give u size, it will build your chest outwards
    your an idiot man , looking at your pic your muscular physique it terrible, the exercise does not depend if your chest will be bulky or flat, lol u clearly dont know **** and muscular growth and shape is based on genetics

Virucyde is on a distinguished road. (+10) Virucyde is on a distinguished road. (+10) Virucyde is on a distinguished road. (+10) Virucyde is on a distinguished road. (+10) Virucyde is on a distinguished road. (+10) Virucyde is on a distinguished road. (+10) Virucyde is on a distinguished road. (+10) Virucyde is on a distinguished road. (+10) Virucyde is on a distinguished road. (+10) Virucyde is on a distinguished road. (+10) Virucyde is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    They're both pretty dang good chest exercises. While DB Flyes are a more pure chest exercise, I think due to their form it's difficult to progressively overload with them. Both exercises suffer from losing resistance at the top of the movement, causing less inner chest development. To fix this you might consider cable flyes.

Registered User akmusclehamster's Avatar
    akmusclehamster is not very well liked. (-100) akmusclehamster is not very well liked. (-100) akmusclehamster is not very well liked. (-100) akmusclehamster is not very well liked. (-100) akmusclehamster is not very well liked. (-100) akmusclehamster is not very well liked. (-100) akmusclehamster is not very well liked. (-100) akmusclehamster is not very well liked. (-100) akmusclehamster is not very well liked. (-100) akmusclehamster is not very well liked. (-100) akmusclehamster is not very well liked. (-100)
    If you're looking for size/strength/muscle shape (basically a general overall goal) do press first then flies second in your workouts
    If you're looking just for strength/power focus on the press (this will still gain you size in the chest of course)
    Compound Weights, Bodyweight Exercises and Sprinting

Registered User I_hate_Training's Avatar
    I_hate_Training will become famous soon enough. (+50) I_hate_Training will become famous soon enough. (+50) I_hate_Training will become famous soon enough. (+50) I_hate_Training will become famous soon enough. (+50) I_hate_Training will become famous soon enough. (+50) I_hate_Training will become famous soon enough. (+50) I_hate_Training will become famous soon enough. (+50) I_hate_Training will become famous soon enough. (+50) I_hate_Training will become famous soon enough. (+50) I_hate_Training will become famous soon enough. (+50) I_hate_Training will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Arnold was a huge believer in flys. He used benching on all 3 angles. Yet he also did that with flys. Cant really complain or argue that it worked.

I find that presses work second in my workouts and flys 1st. However, much like Arnold did, I use all 3 angles on each. I pick 2 angles of each and then do 3 sets about of 6-8/8-10/10-12 reps. I figure thats the best way to get both strength and I also grow.

Some with longer arms tend to find presses dont work well. Which is true, to a point. It seems delts and tris really try to take over if your arms are longer. Over the past couple years, I find the Hammer Strength machines help for this. It isnt exact, but the movement is close to a normal press. The better you get body position (still an important part of presses) the better you learn to take your delts and tris out of it. If you have this issue, give that idea a try. 2 weeks Hammer, 2 normal press...repeat till normal presses feel second nature. Then only use the Hammer machines for burnout type stuff.

charles1997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) charles1997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) charles1997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) charles1997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) charles1997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) charles1997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) charles1997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) charles1997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) charles1997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) charles1997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) charles1997 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Presses. Heavier weight, easier strength increases > more size gains. I've found that when doing a dumbbell press, arc your arms out wider (not straight down) on the negative and on the way up move the dumbbells up in an arc inward (like giving a hug) to where they're a few inches apart at the top. SQUEEEEZE your pecs, if you think presses lose chest activation at the top try this way of doing them. This way you're working your chest in the 2 ways it can only work - moving the arm across the body and pressing.
    Gym PR's

Squat - 325lbs

Bench - 225lbs paused

Deadlift - 405lbs x 3

taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If I had to pick only one exercise for chest growth, it would probably be incline DBs at 30 degrees, although I think flat bench has more benefits in general (beyond just chest work).

Flies are not very important for most people.

(crap, I really need to start paying attention to the dates on these treads.)

DatYoubra is not very helpful. (-500) DatYoubra is not very helpful. (-500) DatYoubra is not very helpful. (-500) DatYoubra is not very helpful. (-500) DatYoubra is not very helpful. (-500) DatYoubra is not very helpful. (-500) DatYoubra is not very helpful. (-500) DatYoubra is not very helpful. (-500) DatYoubra is not very helpful. (-500) DatYoubra is not very helpful. (-500) DatYoubra is not very helpful. (-500)
    I feel the best contraction with flies but presses will be better for quick mass