mstr2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mstr2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mstr2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mstr2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mstr2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mstr2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mstr2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mstr2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mstr2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mstr2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mstr2 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Fat vs Sugar? Which is worse?

So I've been working out for a while now, I've made significant progress towards my goals, but diet has always been an issue for me. I am trying to gain muscle, but I'm more concerned with cutting/toning as I have way too much flab right now.

It seems when it comes to health foods/protein bars etc. there is always either a lot of sugar or a lot of fat. In a diet for someone looking to cut fat, which is worse: sugar or fat?

(A guy at the gym told me that eating more fat actually makes your body burn more fat than when you stick to a lowfat diet. Is there any truth to this?)

RandyJH is just really nice. (+1000) RandyJH is just really nice. (+1000) RandyJH is just really nice. (+1000) RandyJH is just really nice. (+1000) RandyJH is just really nice. (+1000) RandyJH is just really nice. (+1000) RandyJH is just really nice. (+1000) RandyJH is just really nice. (+1000) RandyJH is just really nice. (+1000) RandyJH is just really nice. (+1000) RandyJH is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by mstr2 View Post
    So I've been working out for a while now, I've made significant progress towards my goals, but diet has always been an issue for me. I am trying to gain muscle, but I'm more concerned with cutting/toning as I have way too much flab right now.

It seems when it comes to health foods/protein bars etc. there is always either a lot of sugar or a lot of fat. In a diet for someone looking to cut fat, which is worse: sugar or fat?

(A guy at the gym told me that eating more fat actually makes your body burn more fat than when you stick to a lowfat diet. Is there any truth to this?)
    I won't elaborate on his comment to great deal (I leave the pro-fat arguments for a poster by the name of determined), but long term low fat diets don't work very well. So just try to include a moderate amount in your daily diet.

Neither sugars or fats are the enemy when it comes to dieting. Losing fat is a matter of calorie balance. Eat enough protein, and burn more calories than you consume and you'll generally have good results. Those are the big two things.

So find a protein bar that you enjoy and eat it. I eat them rather frequently since I work at GNC, so I've learned to appreciate many of them.
    Just livin' the dream...

Make me lift heavy! My workout journal! http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=541721083#post541721083

determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by mstr2 View Post

processed sugar, trans fat--> avoid
    saturated fat--> keep low
    EFAs, polyunsaturated, monounsaturated, fruit, dairy (contain natural sugar)-->good
    Founder of MMDELAD
    "Micros Matter Dont Eat Like A Dumba**" (hydrogenated oils, shortening, mono and di-glycerides don't fit in my macros)

Does Not Count Macros Crew

"Think in terms of limits and the result is limitation
    Think in terms of progress and the result is progression"

my day:http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156294333

Training Philosophy to be strong: 1. Pick Weights up off the ground 2. Squat them 3. Push them over your head

RandyJH is just really nice. (+1000) RandyJH is just really nice. (+1000) RandyJH is just really nice. (+1000) RandyJH is just really nice. (+1000) RandyJH is just really nice. (+1000) RandyJH is just really nice. (+1000) RandyJH is just really nice. (+1000) RandyJH is just really nice. (+1000) RandyJH is just really nice. (+1000) RandyJH is just really nice. (+1000) RandyJH is just really nice. (+1000)
    Processed sugar does not need to be avoided. Limited maybe, but not avoided. The only reason I would limit it is so it doesnt take away from your daily calories which need to consist of foods that will provide more nutrients.
    Just livin' the dream...

Make me lift heavy! My workout journal! http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=541721083#post541721083

uprise240 is just really nice. (+1000) uprise240 is just really nice. (+1000) uprise240 is just really nice. (+1000) uprise240 is just really nice. (+1000) uprise240 is just really nice. (+1000) uprise240 is just really nice. (+1000) uprise240 is just really nice. (+1000) uprise240 is just really nice. (+1000) uprise240 is just really nice. (+1000) uprise240 is just really nice. (+1000) uprise240 is just really nice. (+1000)
    this is kind of on topic and kind of not but anyway.....

So for Halloween I want to go "all-out"

in your opinions would eating a $hit load of sugary candy ie. gummies, rockets etc... be better or worse that eating a $hit load of either chocolate covered almonds (my fav) / m&m peanuts?

In my opinion I would eat the nuts just because they taste better and have more of a health value and digest slower than say a gummie bear or straight up candy.

Anyway just thought I would get some opinions.......sorry about the hijack.
    Online Coaching. Meal Plans. Training Programs.
    ---> www.cazthetrainer.com <---
    Be the BEST version of YOU

dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    everything in moderation
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right!"-Henry Ford

Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by uprise240 View Post
    this is kind of on topic and kind of not but anyway.....

So for Halloween I want to go "all-out"

in your opinions would eating a $hit load of sugary candy ie. gummies, rockets etc... be better or worse that eating a $hit load of either chocolate covered almonds (my fav) / m&m peanuts?

In my opinion I would eat the nuts just because they taste better and have more of a health value and digest slower than say a gummie bear or straight up candy.

Anyway just thought I would get some opinions.......sorry about the hijack.
    Your choices will be irrelevant to the damage caused by binging on candy.
    ENCLAVE
    Fitness & Nutrition
    CISSN
    CSCS
    CF-L1

Cyclist, Sprinter, Foodie.

uprise240 is just really nice. (+1000) uprise240 is just really nice. (+1000) uprise240 is just really nice. (+1000) uprise240 is just really nice. (+1000) uprise240 is just really nice. (+1000) uprise240 is just really nice. (+1000) uprise240 is just really nice. (+1000) uprise240 is just really nice. (+1000) uprise240 is just really nice. (+1000) uprise240 is just really nice. (+1000) uprise240 is just really nice. (+1000)
    great thanks guys.....decision made: Going with my fav. Dark Chocolate covered Almonds mmmmmmmm
    Online Coaching. Meal Plans. Training Programs.
    ---> www.cazthetrainer.com <---
    Be the BEST version of YOU

iLiRaM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iLiRaM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iLiRaM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iLiRaM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iLiRaM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iLiRaM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iLiRaM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iLiRaM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iLiRaM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iLiRaM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iLiRaM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Cool

You don't seem to flabby. I'm not sure why you don't just clean bulk and lift heavy.
    squeeze your glutes and press

Don't run out of juice Bakers Man's Avatar
    Bakers Man is a name known to all. (+5000) Bakers Man is a name known to all. (+5000) Bakers Man is a name known to all. (+5000) Bakers Man is a name known to all. (+5000) Bakers Man is a name known to all. (+5000) Bakers Man is a name known to all. (+5000) Bakers Man is a name known to all. (+5000) Bakers Man is a name known to all. (+5000) Bakers Man is a name known to all. (+5000) Bakers Man is a name known to all. (+5000) Bakers Man is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by uprise240 View Post
    great thanks guys.....decision made: Going with my fav. Dark Chocolate covered Almonds mmmmmmmm
    My thoughts exactly. See favorite fat thread.

Originally Posted by dimasso69 View Post
    everything in moderation
    This.

Why not just be moderate with it? You can include these foods in your daily diet.
    Just livin' the dream...

rmack27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmack27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmack27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmack27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmack27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmack27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmack27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmack27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmack27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmack27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmack27 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by determined4000 View Post
    processed sugar, trans fat--> avoid
    saturated fat--> keep low
    EFAs, polyunsaturated, monounsaturated, fruit, dairy (contain natural sugar)-->good
    Your body metabolizes sugars the same way whether or not they are "natural" or not. Glucose and fructose have the same chemical structure whether they come from fruit or table sugar. The only reason to avoid foods with "processed" sugar is because they usually contain way too much which will be stored as fat. Fruit is a better source of sugar because you don't get near as much per serving and fruit also has lots of fiber in it.

Also try to avoid fruit juices whether they be natural or not. They contain too much fructose per serving and zero fiber.

Registered User GermanBarbarian's Avatar
    GermanBarbarian is just really nice. (+1000) GermanBarbarian is just really nice. (+1000) GermanBarbarian is just really nice. (+1000) GermanBarbarian is just really nice. (+1000) GermanBarbarian is just really nice. (+1000) GermanBarbarian is just really nice. (+1000) GermanBarbarian is just really nice. (+1000) GermanBarbarian is just really nice. (+1000) GermanBarbarian is just really nice. (+1000) GermanBarbarian is just really nice. (+1000) GermanBarbarian is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by rmack27 View Post
    Your body metabolizes sugars the same way whether or not they are "natural" or not. Glucose and fructose have the same chemical structure whether they come from fruit or table sugar. The only reason to avoid foods with "processed" sugar is because they usually contain way too much which will be stored as fat. Fruit is a better source of sugar because you don't get near as much per serving and fruit also has lots of fiber in it.

Also try to avoid fruit juices whether they be natural or not. They contain too much fructose per serving and zero fiber.
    FYI sugars, whether or not they are "natural", increase the needs for certain bodybuilding materials (micro-nutrients). The problem with consuming sugar in a purely "processed" form is it is devoid of micro-nutrients. Fruits contain many micro-nutrients when compared to "processed" sugar. And that is why fruit is a far better choice.

rmack27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmack27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmack27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmack27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmack27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmack27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmack27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmack27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmack27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmack27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmack27 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by GermanBarbarian View Post
    FYI sugars, whether or not they are "natural", increase the needs for certain bodybuilding materials (micro-nutrients). The problem with consuming sugar in a purely "processed" form is it is devoid of micro-nutrients. Fruits contain many micro-nutrients when compared to "processed" sugar. And that is why fruit is a far better choice.
    Fruit is better for many reasons, not just because it has nutrients that processed foods cannot supply. Sure that is one of the advantages, and i'll admit i forgot to include it in my rushed post, but that is not the only advantage. Less total sugar per serving, better fructose utilization, and high fiber content also come to mind. Not to mention your also left feeling fuller and more statisfied so you tend to not binge as easily.

Sash is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sash is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sash is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sash is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sash is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sash is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sash is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sash is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sash is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sash is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sash is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hrm, a healthy option that has sugar - organic dark chocolate with raw sugar, i buy a brand called green and gold, its ingredients are excellent but not sure if you can get it where you are. With chocolate, the darker the better, but the other ingredients matter as well obviously.

Dark chocolate covered almonds sound great, one way you could mix it up is to try carob chocolate, carob chocolate is pretty good.

If you want to go all out, you could buy some of your own nuts and fruit, i usually go with dried apricots, dried pears and dried apple. Then you melt some dark chocolate (have to do this gently in a bowl over hot water so you dont burn the chocolate), then dip the dried fruit in the melted chocolate and put them all on a big tray in the fridge and wait for it to set. You end up with chewy chocolatey delicousness, they make a good snack on special occasions.
    Dude if it walked, flew, or swam at one point, eat it - SolidSteel86

Don't run out of juice Bakers Man's Avatar
    Bakers Man is a name known to all. (+5000) Bakers Man is a name known to all. (+5000) Bakers Man is a name known to all. (+5000) Bakers Man is a name known to all. (+5000) Bakers Man is a name known to all. (+5000) Bakers Man is a name known to all. (+5000) Bakers Man is a name known to all. (+5000) Bakers Man is a name known to all. (+5000) Bakers Man is a name known to all. (+5000) Bakers Man is a name known to all. (+5000) Bakers Man is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Can yall think of any granular type substance that would react the same way as sugar when cooked ? I was thinking about bee pollen, but have never felt the texture of it and not too sure if it can melt down or anything to form like a syrupy substance. Perhaps if it's added to maple syrup under high heat conditions bee pollen could be used (ex: 1/2C maple syrup:1/2C bee pollen).

I guess Splenda could be used, but I don't really like to use fake ingredients, but then again, most protein powders utilize some form of artificial sweetner, so I guess it's not all bad. Just kinda unsure about using like a cup of Splenda for said recipe.....doesn't feel right, even if it is 0kcals.

But I'm willing to see what's out there that isn't so processed like something similar to raw cane sugar, date sugar, or something. I'm not really worried about kcals or anything, but probably just mostly quality w/ nutritional value.
    Last edited by Puddle_Pirate; 10-28-2009 at 04:07 AM.

Sash is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sash is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sash is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sash is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sash is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sash is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sash is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sash is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sash is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sash is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sash is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Puddle_Pirate View Post
    Can yall think of any granular type substance that would react the same way as sugar when cooked ? I was thinking about bee pollen, but have never felt the texture of it and not too sure if it can melt down or anything to form like a syrupy substance. Perhaps if it's added to maple syrup under high heat conditions bee pollen could be used (ex: 1/2C maple syrup:1/2C bee pollen).

I guess Splenda could be used, but I don't really like to use fake ingredients, but then again, most protein powders utilize some form of artificial sweetner, so I guess it's not all bad. Just kinda unsure about using like a cup of Splenda for said recipe.....doesn't feel right, even if it is 0kcals.

But I'm willing to see what's out there that isn't so processed like something similar to raw cane sugar, date sugar, or something. I'm not really worried about kcals or anything, but probably just mostly quality w/ nutritional value.
    Hrm raw sugars probably your best bet for nutritional quality and value. Maybe also look into dehydrated cane juice or even stevia, you can cook with stevia no probs. If it's something you just want to use once in a while you could look at maple syrup (just make sure it's proper maple syrup not fake stuff). I've been using malted barley extract lately, it doesn't seem to taste as sweet (for me at least) but it smells amazing and is fairly nutritious.
    Last edited by Sash; 10-30-2009 at 10:59 PM.
    Dude if it walked, flew, or swam at one point, eat it - SolidSteel86