Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

    The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

Reply
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Bigger, Stronger, Faster. kingof_queens's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2009
    Age: 25
    Stats: 6'4", 244 lbs
    Posts: 4,682
    Rep Power: 5083
    kingof_queens has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) kingof_queens has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) kingof_queens has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) kingof_queens has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) kingof_queens has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) kingof_queens has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) kingof_queens has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) kingof_queens has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) kingof_queens has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) kingof_queens has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) kingof_queens has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit kingof_queens's BodySpace
    kingof_queens is offline

    What's the best protein supplement for keeping/building muscle, but also losing fat?

    Currently I am taking the choclate muscle milk, (the powder not the pre-mixed pouches) and when I mentioned it to someone, they said to not drink muscle milk because it will cause fat to collect around your organs, and it will slow down my fat loss, due to it being chemically made up of the same/similair fats/nutrients found in breast milk.

    Can anyone confirm that muscle milk will inhibit my fat loss?

    If it's true that it will inhibit fat loss, can you please recommend a good protein supplement that WON'T affect fat loss?

    I usually take two servings of muscle milk (about 50 grams of protein) in the moring, and two more servings after workout which is about 3PM. No more after that.

    Any and all advice, input, and recommendations is appreciated.
    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    Blackmill Music 10/10 th3pwn3r's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2008
    Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Stats: 5'11", 155 lbs
    Posts: 10,668
    Rep Power: 4229
    th3pwn3r has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) th3pwn3r has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) th3pwn3r has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) th3pwn3r has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) th3pwn3r has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) th3pwn3r has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) th3pwn3r has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) th3pwn3r has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) th3pwn3r has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) th3pwn3r has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) th3pwn3r has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit th3pwn3r's BodySpace
    th3pwn3r is offline
    Originally Posted by gregshulikov View Post
    Currently I am taking the choclate muscle milk, (the powder not the pre-mixed pouches) and when I mentioned it to someone, they said to not drink muscle milk because it will cause fat to collect around your organs, and it will slow down my fat loss, due to it being chemically made up of the same/similair fats/nutrients found in breast milk.

    Can anyone confirm that muscle milk will inhibit my fat loss?

    If it's true that it will inhibit fat loss, can you please recommend a good protein supplement that WON'T affect fat loss?

    I usually take two servings of muscle milk (about 50 grams of protein) in the moring, and two more servings after workout which is about 3PM. No more after that.

    Any and all advice, input, and recommendations is appreciated.
    Don't listen to what people say, a lot of people are just flat out stupid. One reason I would tell you to stay away from muscle milk is because of it's ridiculous price. Just get yourself some cheaper whey protein or a whey/casein blend from anywhere you can get it at a fair price. Let the results tell you if it's good for your body or not. By the way, consuming too many calories is what will inhibit your fat loss.
    "Everyone thinks they're on their way to single digit body fat as soon as they see a blurry four-pack in the right lighting.Your final body weight at 5-6% will be a lot less than what you think.Talk to me again when you get in contest shape." I'd be willing to say that 95% of people on this forum accomplish nothing in years, don't be one of those people. It's sad,they seem to have the knowledge many don't but can't utilize it.
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Registered User thrashertm's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2008
    Age: 34
    Stats: 5'11", 168 lbs
    Posts: 420
    Rep Power: 0
    thrashertm is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) thrashertm is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) thrashertm is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) thrashertm is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) thrashertm is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) thrashertm is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) thrashertm is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) thrashertm is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) thrashertm is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) thrashertm is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) thrashertm is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Visit thrashertm's BodySpace
    thrashertm is offline
    Originally Posted by gregshulikov View Post
    Currently I am taking the choclate muscle milk, (the powder not the pre-mixed pouches) and when I mentioned it to someone, they said to not drink muscle milk because it will cause fat to collect around your organs, and it will slow down my fat loss, due to it being chemically made up of the same/similair fats/nutrients found in breast milk.

    Can anyone confirm that muscle milk will inhibit my fat loss?

    If it's true that it will inhibit fat loss, can you please recommend a good protein supplement that WON'T affect fat loss?

    I usually take two servings of muscle milk (about 50 grams of protein) in the moring, and two more servings after workout which is about 3PM. No more after that.

    Any and all advice, input, and recommendations is appreciated.
    Whatever gives you the most protein in the fewest calories is best I should think. Syntrax Nectar Chocolate is the lowest one I have found for that flavor - I think it's 100 calories for 24g of protein. By comparison, my favorite Dymatize is 117 calories for chocolate flavor. Some of the fruit flavors of Syntrax are even lower I believe. Syntrax is pricier than most. Dymatize is very cheap.

    That said, if you are really cutting you probably don't want to be using much protein powder, since it's not nearly as filling and satisfying as whole protein sources like chicken and eggs. Now that I'm cutting, I only have 1 scoop of protein after my workout with my morning oatmeal (recipe below) or in my pancakes.

    Here are my favorite cutting recipes, which I eat daily on the way to a 2000 calorie diet.

    Sweet potato pancakes - these are so filling I can usually skip my morning snack.
    1/2 cup oatmeal (regular old fashioned, not instant)
    1/3 cup egg beaters
    2 tbsp cottage cheese (1% or less)
    1/2 of a medium sweet potato, or 1/3 of a large (already baked, peel on)
    1 scoop of vanilla protein powder
    1/2 cup of water or so, until batter become smooth
    1 tbsp nutmeg and 1 tbsp cinnamon
    blend it up and fry with no calorie olive oil spray. I put 1/2 cup of blueberries on it, and Walden Farms pancake syrup

    Without the blueberries, it's 459 calories with 50g of protein. This is extremely filling, and I'm not sure you'll be able to eat the whole serving.

    If I need breakfast on the run, I make my breakfast oatmeal
    1/2 cup regular oatmeal (microwave w/ 1 cup water for about 2 min)
    1 tbsp natural peanut butter
    1 scoop chocolate protein powder (could probably sub vanilla and then add some cinnamon)
    optional - 1 tbsp cocoa powder (10 calories)
    optional - 1 serving of instant non sugar pistachio pudding
    496 calories with 33g of protein
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    Bigger, Stronger, Faster. kingof_queens's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2009
    Age: 25
    Stats: 6'4", 244 lbs
    Posts: 4,682
    Rep Power: 5083
    kingof_queens has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) kingof_queens has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) kingof_queens has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) kingof_queens has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) kingof_queens has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) kingof_queens has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) kingof_queens has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) kingof_queens has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) kingof_queens has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) kingof_queens has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) kingof_queens has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit kingof_queens's BodySpace
    kingof_queens is offline
    Originally Posted by th3pwn3r View Post
    Don't listen to what people say, a lot of people are just flat out stupid. One reason I would tell you to stay away from muscle milk is because of it's ridiculous price. Just get yourself some cheaper whey protein or a whey/casein blend from anywhere you can get it at a fair price. Let the results tell you if it's good for your body or not. By the way, consuming too many calories is what will inhibit your fat loss.
    Yeah I agree. Each shake I take (with two full scoops) is only like 260 calories and I only have two a day, ONLY on the days I work out. Even with the two shakes, my total calorie intake for the day is well below 1800 calories from good clean whole food.

    I buy a big container of the muscle milk from Costco for 28 bucks. I don't think that's expensive? But i'm new to all of this so I don't know..

    So it's BS then that muscle milk will cause organ fat due to it being chemically similiar to breast milk?

    I've been taking it for like 1.5 weeks, and I am still definitely losing weight, but i'm just afraid now i'm packing on fat, and not losing all the weight I could.


    Can someone please definitively confirm and assure me as long as I am within my calorie goal that I am NOT putting on organ fat from muscle milk?
    Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    Bigger, Stronger, Faster. kingof_queens's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2009
    Age: 25
    Stats: 6'4", 244 lbs
    Posts: 4,682
    Rep Power: 5083
    kingof_queens has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) kingof_queens has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) kingof_queens has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) kingof_queens has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) kingof_queens has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) kingof_queens has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) kingof_queens has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) kingof_queens has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) kingof_queens has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) kingof_queens has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) kingof_queens has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit kingof_queens's BodySpace
    kingof_queens is offline
    Originally Posted by thrashertm View Post
    Whatever gives you the most protein in the fewest calories is best I should think. Syntrax Nectar Chocolate is the lowest one I have found for that flavor - I think it's 100 calories for 24g of protein. By comparison, my favorite Dymatize is 117 calories for chocolate flavor. Some of the fruit flavors of Syntrax are even lower I believe. Syntrax is pricier than most. Dymatize is very cheap.

    That said, if you are really cutting you probably don't want to be using much protein powder, since it's not nearly as filling and satisfying as whole protein sources like chicken and eggs. Now that I'm cutting, I only have 1 scoop of protein after my workout with my morning oatmeal (recipe below) or in my pancakes.

    Here are my favorite cutting recipes, which I eat daily on the way to a 2000 calorie diet.

    Sweet potato pancakes - these are so filling I can usually skip my morning snack.
    1/2 cup oatmeal (regular old fashioned, not instant)
    1/3 cup egg beaters
    2 tbsp cottage cheese (1% or less)
    1/2 of a medium sweet potato, or 1/3 of a large (already baked, peel on)
    1 scoop of vanilla protein powder
    1/2 cup of water or so, until batter become smooth
    1 tbsp nutmeg and 1 tbsp cinnamon
    blend it up and fry with no calorie olive oil spray. I put 1/2 cup of blueberries on it, and Walden Farms pancake syrup

    Without the blueberries, it's 459 calories with 50g of protein. This is extremely filling, and I'm not sure you'll be able to eat the whole serving.

    If I need breakfast on the run, I make my breakfast oatmeal
    1/2 cup regular oatmeal (microwave w/ 1 cup water for about 2 min)
    1 tbsp natural peanut butter
    1 scoop chocolate protein powder (could probably sub vanilla and then add some cinnamon)
    optional - 1 tbsp cocoa powder (10 calories)
    optional - 1 serving of instant non sugar pistachio pudding
    496 calories with 33g of protein
    Thanks for the detailed post!
    Reply With Quote

  6. #6
    Mother Pho Ga phal's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2008
    Location: New Hampshire, United States
    Age: 26
    Stats: 5'10", 162 lbs
    Posts: 9,481
    Rep Power: 15261
    phal has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) phal has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) phal has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) phal has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) phal has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) phal has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) phal has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) phal has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) phal has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) phal has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) phal has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit phal's BodySpace
    phal is offline
    Aye, try to get your protein from whole foods first if possible. Not that it's necessary, but who doesn't like food? Yesterday was the first day in probably a month where I used whey in a SHAKE. The muscle milk is fine, but it's probably not worth the $ as are 99.9% of all supplements. Only supplements I'd ever suggest to people are a multi/fish oil, whey, and maybe creatine. Even all of those aren't required by any means, but are very convenient.
    Life without sarcasm would be a dull and way too nice place to be.

    Trance

    http://soundcloud.com/phalsama/

    Sheiko? My journey to 1,400+ @ 165

    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=130564103

    Keep On Getting Strong

    Best Gym Lifts

    B: 225x16 S: 315x17 D: 500x10/600x1
    Reply With Quote

  7. #7
    Bigger, Stronger, Faster. kingof_queens's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2009
    Age: 25
    Stats: 6'4", 244 lbs
    Posts: 4,682
    Rep Power: 5083
    kingof_queens has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) kingof_queens has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) kingof_queens has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) kingof_queens has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) kingof_queens has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) kingof_queens has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) kingof_queens has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) kingof_queens has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) kingof_queens has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) kingof_queens has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) kingof_queens has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit kingof_queens's BodySpace
    kingof_queens is offline
    Originally Posted by phal View Post
    Aye, try to get your protein from whole foods first if possible. Not that it's necessary, but who doesn't like food? Yesterday was the first day in probably a month where I used whey in a SHAKE. The muscle milk is fine, but it's probably not worth the $ as are 99.9% of all supplements. Only supplements I'd ever suggest to people are a multi/fish oil, whey, and maybe creatine. Even all of those aren't required by any means, but are very convenient.

    I can't do it from whole protein. I can't eat that much. That's why muscle milk is so convenient. Plus, other then protein is has a lot of other nutrients and vitamins. Also, I do take a multivitamin and fish oil capsule every day.


    I'm just really hoping someone can definitively confirm and assure me that muscle milk will not cause "organ fat" as long as it's within total calorie goals per day. (That calorie goal is big time deficit)
    Reply With Quote

  8. #8
    Mother Pho Ga phal's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2008
    Location: New Hampshire, United States
    Age: 26
    Stats: 5'10", 162 lbs
    Posts: 9,481
    Rep Power: 15261
    phal has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) phal has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) phal has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) phal has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) phal has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) phal has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) phal has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) phal has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) phal has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) phal has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) phal has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit phal's BodySpace
    phal is offline
    Originally Posted by gregshulikov View Post
    I can't do it from whole protein. I can't eat that much. That's why muscle milk is so convenient. Plus, other then protein is has a lot of other nutrients and vitamins. Also, I do take a multivitamin and fish oil capsule every day.


    I'm just really hoping someone can definitively confirm and assure me that muscle milk will not cause "organ fat" as long as it's within total calorie goals per day. (That calorie goal is big time deficit)
    Muscle milk won't make you fat assuming it's within your caloric limit. Excess calories of any macronutrient is what will cause fat/weight gain.
    Life without sarcasm would be a dull and way too nice place to be.

    Trance

    http://soundcloud.com/phalsama/

    Sheiko? My journey to 1,400+ @ 165

    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=130564103

    Keep On Getting Strong

    Best Gym Lifts

    B: 225x16 S: 315x17 D: 500x10/600x1
    Reply With Quote

  9. #9
    Please respond mfitty9000's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2009
    Stats: 2'3", 5 lbs
    Posts: 9,046
    Rep Power: 2280
    mfitty9000 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mfitty9000 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mfitty9000 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mfitty9000 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mfitty9000 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mfitty9000 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mfitty9000 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mfitty9000 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mfitty9000 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mfitty9000 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mfitty9000 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit mfitty9000's BodySpace
    mfitty9000 is offline
    How much protein are you aiming to eat each day?

    Also, is muscle milk still fairly high calorie? If so, I prefer ON Whey which is almost 100% protein instead of a mix of fat/carbs/protein that I remember muscle milk being. The one thing I used to love about muscle milk was the taste (soooo good), but for me, being on a diet, they are too calorie dense and not filling enouhh for me personally. Especially since I generally drank them with milk.


    Most people recommend 1g protein per pound of lean body mass, and I find that's fairly easy to hit through diet alone. But whatever works, if you really feel you can't eat that much a protein shake is fine. I would recommend ON Whey with water though for low calorie protein boost. I believe 1 serving is ~150 calories and ~36g protein.
    Reply With Quote

  10. #10
    Bigger, Stronger, Faster. kingof_queens's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2009
    Age: 25
    Stats: 6'4", 244 lbs
    Posts: 4,682
    Rep Power: 5083
    kingof_queens has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) kingof_queens has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) kingof_queens has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) kingof_queens has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) kingof_queens has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) kingof_queens has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) kingof_queens has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) kingof_queens has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) kingof_queens has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) kingof_queens has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) kingof_queens has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit kingof_queens's BodySpace
    kingof_queens is offline
    Originally Posted by phal View Post
    Muscle milk won't make you fat assuming it's within your caloric limit. Excess calories of any macronutrient is what will cause fat/weight gain.
    Thanks.

    Originally Posted by mfitty9000 View Post
    How much protein are you aiming to eat each day?

    Also, is muscle milk still fairly high calorie? If so, I prefer ON Whey which is almost 100% protein instead of a mix of fat/carbs/protein that I remember muscle milk being. The one thing I used to love about muscle milk was the taste (soooo good), but for me, being on a diet, they are too calorie dense and not filling enouhh for me personally. Especially since I generally drank them with milk.


    Most people recommend 1g protein per pound of lean body mass, and I find that's fairly easy to hit through diet alone. But whatever works, if you really feel you can't eat that much a protein shake is fine. I would recommend ON Whey with water though for low calorie protein boost. I believe 1 serving is ~150 calories and ~36g protein.
    Well with my weight I should taking at least 200 grams a day, and I cannot do that from whole foods alone. That's too much food for me to eat.

    Also, on my container it says there are only 130 cals per serving, but with only 26 grams of protein, and 2 grams fat/2 grams carbs.
    Reply With Quote

Reply

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-05-2008, 05:48 PM
  2. Need to know what is the best protein powder for me
    By mlj1972 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-18-2004, 07:04 PM
  3. What's the best vitamin/supplement for this?
    By crunchyhippo in forum Supplements
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-20-2004, 02:32 PM
  4. WHat is the best protein supplement?
    By leave in forum Nutrition
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-02-2003, 08:58 PM
  5. Which is the best protein supplement for my goal?
    By AthleticMachine in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-15-2002, 06:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Home Store Products Careers Help Contact Us Terms of Use Checkout