KristjanH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KristjanH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KristjanH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KristjanH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KristjanH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KristjanH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Training someone with scoliosis

So there's a girl I know that has scoliosis and well basically her lumbar (low part of spine) is fused together because of a operation she had.

So I was just hoping that someone here has some experience and knowledge about training people with this condition.

Would it be okay for me to let her squat and deadlift, as long as it's lightweight?
    How would you train someone in this position?

TAK000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TAK000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TAK000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TAK000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TAK000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TAK000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TAK000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TAK000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TAK000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TAK000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TAK000 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    why not consult with her doctor first? although the doc will say no lifting...

depending on her goals conventional barbell squats and deadlift may not be your first choice of exercise for her maybe some variations.

I have scoliosis and spinal bifita and i can still lift some fairly heavy ****

W.Chapman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) W.Chapman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) W.Chapman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) W.Chapman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) W.Chapman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) W.Chapman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) W.Chapman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) W.Chapman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) W.Chapman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) W.Chapman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) W.Chapman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You need to get a clearance from her doctor. If anything were to happen you would be liable. With clients like this its better to be over cautious.
    ISSA CFT,SSC,SPN,SMAC
    http://ssc.proforums.org

jamezgt is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamezgt is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamezgt is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamezgt is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamezgt is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamezgt is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamezgt is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamezgt is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamezgt is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamezgt is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamezgt is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    First of all, you need to take in consideration of her condition (activities, fitness level, injuries). Scoliosis is pretty serious and is pretty hard to treat. I have not personally trained anybody with this condition, so I can't give you much advice.

From what I hear, it can either be genetics, or just over-use of muscles over time. The hips become unaligned, and your gait starts to get altered. Squats and Deadlifts are great exercises, but could aggravate it. I suggest she talks to a Chiropractor to get more information, or a really knowledgeable Personal Trainer. If you are training her, make sure you get a PAR-Q filled out so there won't be any problems!
    http://www.TorontoFitness.org - Toronto's #1 Fitness Related Website