I don't neg anymore...rly Negatron617's Avatar
    Negatron617 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Negatron617 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Negatron617 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Negatron617 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Negatron617 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Negatron617 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Negatron617 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Negatron617 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Negatron617 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Negatron617 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Negatron617 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Pain in the butt when i sit down

yea.....so when i sit down i get this pain below my back on the top and sides of by butt essentially. i do not know what i can do. going to a doctor, etc is not an option.

i basically just want to do exercises or stretching for it.

it only hurts when i sit down and it hurts below my back towards the top of my butt. deep self massage helps a little. standing and stretching helps.

any advice other than to see a doc?

reps for help

edit: i sit down alot at my job. very bad leg flexibility
    Last edited by Negatron617; 10-26-2009 at 02:39 PM.
    ☆$★♠☆ BiG-BaLLiN ☆♠★$☆

Rub some funk on it watermelon_2001's Avatar
    watermelon_2001 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) watermelon_2001 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) watermelon_2001 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) watermelon_2001 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) watermelon_2001 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) watermelon_2001 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) watermelon_2001 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) watermelon_2001 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) watermelon_2001 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) watermelon_2001 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) watermelon_2001 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Negatron617 View Post
    yea.....so when i sit down i get this pain below my back on the top and sides of by butt essentially. i do not know what i can do. going to a doctor, etc is not an option.

it only hurts when i sit down and it hurts below my back towards the top of my butt. deep self massage helps a little. standing and stretching helps.

reps for help
    Mate, I'm exactly the same! Sort of around the top back part of your pelvis, right below the hip?? I've no idea what it is... I do a stretch for it which sometimes helps- lie on your back with knees bent and rest the ankle of the sore leg on top of the other knee. Then press down on the 'raised' knee, as if trying to turn it down 90 degrees, and you should feel a stretch in that region I mentioned. It's sore when I sit down for too long or when I lie on that side. I've tried looking up stuff that it could be, and I was wondering if it was maybe something to do with the sciatic nerve, especially looking at a pic like this...

...because where the pain is coming from seems to be where the nerve is
    Anorexia dragged me to rock-bottom; watch me build myself back up...

My Journal; http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=118286631

I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday.

Rub some funk on it watermelon_2001's Avatar
    watermelon_2001 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) watermelon_2001 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) watermelon_2001 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) watermelon_2001 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) watermelon_2001 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) watermelon_2001 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) watermelon_2001 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) watermelon_2001 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) watermelon_2001 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) watermelon_2001 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) watermelon_2001 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    ...Also saw this, relating to sciatic pain, and it seems like it may be of relevance, as you mentioned your job which involves long periods of sitting...

(From source: http://www.sciaticaclinic.com/)

Hamstring Syndrome
    The hamstrings which run from the crease of the buttock to the back of the knee are supplied by branches of the sciatic nerve. These muscles extend the thigh at the hip joint and flex the leg at the knee joint. During standing and walking they work indirectly to maintain an erect posture.

Symptoms
    Trigger points in the hamstring muscles result in pain being experienced on walking, possibly resulting in a limp. Sitting can also cause pain in the buttock, upper thigh and back of the knee. Pain also occurs on rising from a chair, particularly if sitting crossed legged, and can cause disturbed sleep. Confusingly, pain can be felt in the front of the thigh even though the trouble originates in the back of the thigh.

Because the pain distribution often follows the path of the sciatic nerve, patients are often misdiagnosed as having sciatica.

Activation
    Classically this is caused by constant pressure on the hamstrings. For example sitting in chairs which have too high a seat. Patio or seaside furniture commonly has a canvas or plastic seat attached to a horizontal bar across the front of the seat. The seat bottom sags and the cross bar presses firmly against the hamstrings. Children placed in high chairs without a foot-rest experience the same problem. Particularly problematic for people with short legs sitting in long legged seating so their feet do not touch the floor.
    Anorexia dragged me to rock-bottom; watch me build myself back up...

My Journal; http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=118286631

I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday.

I don't neg anymore...rly Negatron617's Avatar
    Negatron617 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Negatron617 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Negatron617 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Negatron617 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Negatron617 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Negatron617 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Negatron617 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Negatron617 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Negatron617 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Negatron617 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Negatron617 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    good stuff

repped!

anybody else

edit: out of reps.....remind me tomm
    ☆$★♠☆ BiG-BaLLiN ☆♠★$☆

mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i'm guessing here that you don't do a regular joint mobility program?

Y0u've had a great suggestion about sciatica. If that's it, doing some mobility work can help. It's not really about stretching which can actually irritate the nerve if it's inflamed; it's more about finding the path to reduce whatever is causing a pain signal to fire. joint mobility is a great way to start, but it may be a good idea to see a coach who can assess your movement and get some re-patterning of the nerves happening.

In other words, there's some fairly straight forward assessments that can be done to check your movement and find out where the pattern is that may be causing the issue and help address that, but it's not something that can readily be done in a post.

If you want further info, PM me. Alternately, just keep moving but in patterns that don't bring on the pain. THis may mean standing or lying down. Here's another thing you can try:
    easy easy shoulder circles - really relaxed - and neck tilts - at the speed you sit down and stand up at. Really before you go to sit down, tilt your head gently side to side then turn it gently left right. then try sitting. better or worse? if that reduces it, add in the shoulder circles. test again. better or worse? do the one that feels better. If it doesn't hurt you can also try stading up nice and tall - put a hand on a wall and doing circles at the hip as big as you can: front side back - all keeping tall. try sitting. better or worse? do the one that helps the most.

edit: one other mobility drill to try: toe pulls can do great things with low back sharpies

let me know what provides any relief.

mc
    Last edited by mc-; 10-27-2009 at 12:33 PM.

Metal99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Metal99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Metal99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Metal99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Metal99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Metal99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Metal99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Metal99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Metal99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Metal99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Metal99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Negatron617 View Post

reps for help

edit: i sit down alot at my job. very bad leg flexibility
    You may have a subluxation of the sacroiliac joint. This can be corrected with chiropractic. Furthermore, may just be muscle spasm with associated trigger points. ICE!