hewhomustbe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hewhomustbe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hewhomustbe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hewhomustbe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hewhomustbe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hewhomustbe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hewhomustbe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hewhomustbe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hewhomustbe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hewhomustbe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hewhomustbe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question The body when not working out -- what happens?

I'm new here -- first post -- this seemed the best place for this topic.

I maintained a 6% body-fat ratio (if those machines are to be believed) until I was 35 and then I gradually got more lax with my diet but kept my routine up so that I retained my muscle mass but but got to 11% body fat.

In the summer I injured my knee while doing squats (didn't stretch enough before hand) and so my 5 - 6 day routine came screeching to a halt. For good or for bad I did walking, swimming and yoga in place of free weights and saw a HUGE deflation in my muscle girth: my cuts are gone, the girth in my legs, chest and arms and much decreased so that I have wiggle room in my clothes.

My question is this: what happened to that muscle?

Was it catabolized? And, when I start training in earnest will I see results sooner than if I were a newbie?

I had my first 'real' day back at the gym yesterday and I'm really humbled by where I'm starting. Does anyone have any tips for someone who's coming back from a four-five month hiatus?

Cheers,
    steve

JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    If you don't use it, you lose it...it's called "atrophy".

However, once you get back into your routine, you may find that muscle coming back scary fast. Thanks muscle memory!

KimberleyRN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KimberleyRN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KimberleyRN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KimberleyRN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KimberleyRN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KimberleyRN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KimberleyRN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KimberleyRN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KimberleyRN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KimberleyRN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KimberleyRN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    How cool is it that we have ANOTHER Steve here now?

Hello there Steve.

Yes, atrophy sets in, however muscle memory means you will gain back what you lost in less time than someone that never had been built up.
    T.H.I.N.K before you speak. Ask yourself, is it TRUE, HELPFUL, INSPIRATIONAL, NECESSARY, and KIND? If not, then just keep it to yourself.

...think about what you write before you hit "Mr. Enter" button. ~Guy Jin 9.11.10 OV35Misc.

*STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by KimberleyRN View Post

Hello there Steve.

Yes, atrophy sets in, however muscle memory means you will gain back what you lost in less time than someone that never had been built up.
    This ^

and gave you some "steve" reps too

KimberleyRN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KimberleyRN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KimberleyRN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KimberleyRN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KimberleyRN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KimberleyRN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KimberleyRN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KimberleyRN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KimberleyRN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KimberleyRN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KimberleyRN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I repped him too Steve.

I can not rep you... need to spread it around first.

Spreading the reps so I can slip some green your way.
    T.H.I.N.K before you speak. Ask yourself, is it TRUE, HELPFUL, INSPIRATIONAL, NECESSARY, and KIND? If not, then just keep it to yourself.

...think about what you write before you hit "Mr. Enter" button. ~Guy Jin 9.11.10 OV35Misc.

*STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I repped him too Steve.

I can not rep you... need to spread it around first.

Spreading the reps so I can slip some green your way.

Good deal , been awhile since I got my Kimberley rep fix on

hewhomustbe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hewhomustbe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hewhomustbe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hewhomustbe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hewhomustbe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hewhomustbe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hewhomustbe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hewhomustbe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hewhomustbe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hewhomustbe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hewhomustbe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've always wanted to start a baseball team. You're name would have to be 'Steve' to get on the team. We'd play the 'Mikes' and 'Daves' of the world. ;-)

Thank you all for the quick replies.

Is there anything I can add to my routine or any suggestions on adjusting my diet so that I get that "scary fast" growth?

IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by hewhomustbe View Post
    It goes to a special, multi-dimensional storehouse for muscle tissue. All universes draw muscle from this pool, and when someone in a universe stops working out, a tiny rift in the fabric of space / time opens up into your current dimension, and the no longer needed muscle is subtly drawn back into the central holding area. Then, as someone in an alternate universe, or perhaps even the same one you are in begins working out, their body sends out a signal into the ether and a portal opens up for them, and the new muscle tissue flows into their body and makes them more muscular.

Anabolic drugs aren't really drugs at all. They are actually portal accelerators, which open up a faster flow of muscle into your body. The problem with this is, as one person begins overtapping the dimensional pipeline, flow of muscle is lessened or even cut off to some weight trainers with genetically weaker signals. We refer to these people as "hard gainers".

Hope this helps you better understand how hypertrophy and atrophy work!

I've always wanted to start a baseball team. You're name would have to be 'Steve' to get on the team. We'd play the 'Mikes' and 'Daves' of the world. ;-)

Thank you all for the quick replies.

Is there anything I can add to my routine or any suggestions on adjusting my diet so that I get that "scary fast" growth?
    Eat Clean, Lift Heavy.

paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    LOL It's eating up every fiber, joint, muscle, and searching for nourishment, that is if you've worked out, and are working out regularly. That is precisely where most of us are at! The lifting of the weights is the easy part, the diet is a royal pain in the ***! You get the diet down, you're doing good!!! Your body can't build on what it doesn't have inside of it to build upon.
    paolo59

"If you're going through hell, keep going!" Winston Churchill

Originally Posted by paolo59 View Post
    LOL It's eating up every fiber, joint, muscle, and searching for nourishment, that is if you've worked out, and are working out regularly. That is precisely where most of us are at! The lifting of the weights is the easy part, the diet is a royal pain in the ***! You get the diet down, you're doing good!!! Your body can't build on what it doesn't have inside of it to build upon.
    Have you hit the nail on the coffin, I mean....

I mentioned in the OP that my body fat shot up after 35. A large part of that was because my circle of friends stopped going to (dance) clubs or weekend hikes in favor of fancy restaurants and family outings: eat, drink and be merry or get marginalized.

Maybe it's a whole other thread but isn't that part of the life shift after, say 30, 35, 40? How do you all manage a healthy diet when the obligation is a 'power lunch' and drinks with the boss after work? I used to eat 6 - 8 small meals a day but as I got more responsibilities (work and family) it's become harder and harder to be regular -- would love to hear some b#tching or success stories.

"Anabolic drugs aren't really drugs at all. They are actually portal accelerators, which open up a faster flow of muscle into your body. The problem with this is, as one person begins overtapping the dimensional pipeline, flow of muscle is lessened or even cut off to some weight trainers with genetically weaker signals. We refer to these people as "hard gainers"."

I always thought anabolics and supplements were molecular key generators that twisted our RNA to unlock that dimensional door and so suck a larger portion than we earned. If the door is too wildly open, breast tissue gets into the mix. ;-)

x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I'm new here -- first post -- this seemed the best place for this topic.

I maintained a 6% body-fat ratio (if those machines are to be believed) until I was 35 and then I gradually got more lax with my diet but kept my routine up so that I retained my muscle mass but but got to 11% body fat.

In the summer I injured my knee while doing squats (didn't stretch enough before hand) and so my 5 - 6 day routine came screeching to a halt. For good or for bad I did walking, swimming and yoga in place of free weights and saw a HUGE deflation in my muscle girth: my cuts are gone, the girth in my legs, chest and arms and much decreased so that I have wiggle room in my clothes.

Was it catabolized? And, when I start training in earnest will I see results sooner than if I were a newbie?

I had my first 'real' day back at the gym yesterday and I'm really humbled by where I'm starting. Does anyone have any tips for someone who's coming back from a four-five month hiatus?

Cheers,
    steve
    Yes, it was burned as an energy source and when you start up muscle memory will help you return quicker.

Yes, try to perfect your form over 2-3 weeks with "get used to it again" weight and then increase modestly each week to prevent a "sudden" injury.

Klayfish will become famous soon enough. (+50) Klayfish will become famous soon enough. (+50) Klayfish will become famous soon enough. (+50) Klayfish will become famous soon enough. (+50) Klayfish will become famous soon enough. (+50) Klayfish will become famous soon enough. (+50) Klayfish will become famous soon enough. (+50) Klayfish will become famous soon enough. (+50) Klayfish will become famous soon enough. (+50) Klayfish will become famous soon enough. (+50) Klayfish will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Hello there Steve.
    Soon, Steve's will rule the world!!!!

Steve