Just a gym rat TheProgressiveOne's Avatar
    TheProgressiveOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheProgressiveOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheProgressiveOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheProgressiveOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheProgressiveOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheProgressiveOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheProgressiveOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheProgressiveOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheProgressiveOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheProgressiveOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheProgressiveOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

squat form check..

Hey guyz, wat u think of this..plz help me out

__r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Keep your writs in line with your forearms. Never bend them. This may not be a problem with lighter weight, but one you go heavy, bending them like that is painful and bad for your wrists. A thumbless grip may help you here.

Get rid of the towel. It decreases the force of friction and increases the chance of the bar slipping.

Originally Posted by Eloquent View Post
    look up.
    No. Look straight or down a little. Looking up is bad for you neck. Looking down will cause your lower back to round.
    Last edited by __r; 10-23-2009 at 02:43 AM.

GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thumbs up

Overall, not bad. The "wrists-in-line-with-forearms" idea is the best thing of _r's post (along with the other great advice he invariably gives). Head slightly down is best (or straight ahead)--whichever you prefer--and when you back out, try to set your stance solidly as soon as possible. Don't wiggle; with a lighter weight it's no big deal; when the weight gets heavier--and it will--you could wreck your back and you don't want that. Depth was okay after the first couple of reps; sink it further as long as it doesn't throw your balance off and progressively increase your weights.

Pretty solid effort.

Oh, and change the music.
    "Don't call me Miss Kitty. Just...don't."--Catnip. Check out the Catnip Trilogy on Amazon.com

"Chivalry isn't dead. It just wears a skirt."--Twisted, the YA gender bender deal of the century!

Check out my links to Mr. Taxi, Star Maps, and other fine YA Action/Romance novels at http://www.amazon.com/J.S.-Frankel/e/B004XUUTB8/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

TheProgressiveOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheProgressiveOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheProgressiveOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheProgressiveOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheProgressiveOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheProgressiveOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheProgressiveOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheProgressiveOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheProgressiveOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheProgressiveOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheProgressiveOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Eloquent View Post
    Chest up.
    Music is funny.
    Grunting is alpha.
    So chest up, look up.
    ahah forgot bout that grunting..just helped me get pumped i guess..This was my second attempt at actually performing half decent squats..

OK ill try and get that chest up..one trick i have heard about it to try and wrap the bar around my back..thus ensuring my upper back stays tight..Ill need to work on that.

Originally Posted by __r View Post
    Keep your writs in line with your forearms. Never bend them. This may not be a problem with lighter weight, but one you go heavy, bending them like that is painful and bad for your wrists. A thumbless grip may help you here.
    Yeah i actually got a little bit of pain from this one..But shoulder flexibility would need to be impeccible to get the wrists inline with the forearm right?
    Originally Posted by __r View Post
    Get rid of the towel. It decreases the force of friction and increases the chance of the bar slipping.
    But but but but...once i get into heavier weights the bar ****in hurts haha..

Originally Posted by GuyJin View Post
    Overall, not bad. The "wrists-in-line-with-forearms" idea is the best thing of _r's post (along with the other great advice he invariably gives). Head slightly down is best (or straight ahead)--whichever you prefer--and when you back out, try to set your stance solidly as soon as possible. Don't wiggle; with a lighter weight it's no big deal; when the weight gets heavier--and it will--you could wreck your back and you don't want that. Depth was okay after the first couple of reps; sink it further as long as it doesn't throw your balance off and progressively increase your weights.

Pretty solid effort.

Oh, and change the music.
    Thanks GuyJin, i wont wiggle anymore and i know i need to work on depth..i beleive its both hip and hamstring flexibility that will need work there..However i had a huge problem with rounding lower back with this and my deadlifts but i have worked that out (Well nearly) So im doing the right thing..

Just takes time! But i have no real issue in taking 2 months to get the squat form perfect and then progressing the weight..Its the only way to truly conquer it...

ALSO, whats with the neg vibe on my tunes haha..Doesnt anyone here lift to dance music?? I had a few good ones on that play list that werent dance however (guano apes - open your eyes, lost prophets - start something, story of the year - and the hero will drown)

lol nah but thanx for checking it out..

GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thumbs up

Yeah, hip and hamstring flexibility is a pain to get right; I have the same problem and I work on stretching everyday. Don't worry about the weight now--nail that form down and you'll make a ****load of progress.
    "Don't call me Miss Kitty. Just...don't."--Catnip. Check out the Catnip Trilogy on Amazon.com

"Chivalry isn't dead. It just wears a skirt."--Twisted, the YA gender bender deal of the century!

Check out my links to Mr. Taxi, Star Maps, and other fine YA Action/Romance novels at http://www.amazon.com/J.S.-Frankel/e/B004XUUTB8/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by hayden079 View Post

Hey guyz, wat u think of this..plz help me out
    Decent form. As GuyJin said, don't walk around with the weight. I always learned to take one step back and then one to the right to get the adequate width.

Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Karaim View Post
    Decent form. As GuyJin said, don't walk around with the weight. I always learned to take one step back and then one to the right to get the adequate width.

This, + don't lean the the bar back into the pegs when you're set is over. Make sure to walk it all the way back in.

Also, get rid of the towel and go deeper.
    Here Lies the Rant
    2005 - 2015

Negs from 1938-1945

-lenco

kgcolbyIII is on a distinguished road. (+10) kgcolbyIII is on a distinguished road. (+10) kgcolbyIII is on a distinguished road. (+10) kgcolbyIII is on a distinguished road. (+10) kgcolbyIII is on a distinguished road. (+10) kgcolbyIII is on a distinguished road. (+10) kgcolbyIII is on a distinguished road. (+10) kgcolbyIII is on a distinguished road. (+10) kgcolbyIII is on a distinguished road. (+10) kgcolbyIII is on a distinguished road. (+10) kgcolbyIII is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    ha yes! techno while lifting! i get more pumped listening to techno

JB12182 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JB12182 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JB12182 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JB12182 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JB12182 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JB12182 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JB12182 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JB12182 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JB12182 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JB12182 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JB12182 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Don't worry too m uch about going deeper, you're almost a parallel now just a little bit lower and you'll be at parallel. Seems to me you're falling forward, keep your chest out and look straight ahead.

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Keep your back tight at all times. Your back is losing it's 'arch', as you descend.

dat dere stick insect noflyingcars's Avatar
    noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by -Lucifer View Post
    Keep your back tight at all times. Your back is losing it's 'arch', as you descend.
    Yes, he's dangerously bending in the lower back, IMHO.

zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    If the bar hurts on your back it's because you don't have it placed correctly. When you scrunch up your back, you will find there is a little groove created between the traps and the rear delts. It is lower than where you have the bar placed right now. Put the bar in that groove and put your thumbs OVER the bar (the thumbless grip), not under it. You will be able to get your wrists in a flat plane with the back of your hand much easier this way. Think big chest and get the elbows back and it shouldn't be too hard to get the proper grip on the bar.

You loosen up at the bottom and your balance goes forward too much. You need to stay tight and braced throughout the lift. I suspect thinking about sitting back more will help you with the tightness and falling forward problem.

If you're having a problem with depth it is likely a form issue rather than flexibility, or you should at least explore that avenue before deciding your flexibility sucks. Consciously think about shoving the knees out to the side throughout the lift, and this will help you get depth and get between your legs. Lots of people squat over their legs instead of getting them out of the way, and that is why they squat like **** and don't get to proper depth.

Originally Posted by zephed56 View Post
    If the bar hurts on your back it's because you don't have it placed correctly. When you scrunch up your back, you will find there is a little groove created between the traps and the rear delts. It is lower than where you have the bar placed right now. Put the bar in that groove and put your thumbs OVER the bar (the thumbless grip), not under it. You will be able to get your wrists in a flat plane with the back of your hand much easier this way. Think big chest and get the elbows back and it shouldn't be too hard to get the proper grip on the bar.

You loosen up at the bottom and your balance goes forward too much. You need to stay tight and braced throughout the lift. I suspect thinking about sitting back more will help you with the tightness and falling forward problem.

If you're having a problem with depth it is likely a form issue rather than flexibility, or you should at least explore that avenue before deciding your flexibility sucks. Consciously think about shoving the knees out to the side throughout the lift, and this will help you get depth and get between your legs. Lots of people squat over their legs instead of getting them out of the way, and that is why they squat like **** and don't get to proper depth.
    What you are saying def makes sense..I know i loosen up at the bottom but when people say "sit back sit back etc" all that does is make me fall over thus making me fall back on my a*s..So how can i win? (srs)

Great idea about pushing ur knees out conciously..Ive never heard that saying before but it really makes sense..Thanks for taking the time man..