Closed Thread
    Irishfurey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Irishfurey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Irishfurey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Irishfurey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Irishfurey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Irishfurey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Irishfurey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Irishfurey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Irishfurey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Irishfurey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Irishfurey is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Weights training & Calisthenics

I respone well to calisthenics, push-ups, body weight squats. I really like lifting weights and I'm trying to develope a routine combining weight training with calisthenics. Would it be better to do them on seperate days or do them in the same workout. I was thinking of lifting 2x a week, a full body routine centering around compound lifts and them 3 days a week do a routine including push-ups, hindu push-ups, hindu squats, dips, chins and bridges.

Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you're gonna train twice per week I would suggest a full body workout combining weights and calistenics. If you want me to help you make one I can do that.

KALIMAN91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KALIMAN91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KALIMAN91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KALIMAN91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KALIMAN91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KALIMAN91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KALIMAN91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KALIMAN91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KALIMAN91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KALIMAN91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KALIMAN91 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I respone well to calisthenics, push-ups, body weight squats!

Well it depends on what you want.........

Do want to build muscle? Then push-ups, body weight squats wont do SQUAT!

If you wanna build muscle you need to lift free weight end of story!There is no easy way around it!

Irishfurey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Irishfurey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Irishfurey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Irishfurey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Irishfurey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Irishfurey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Irishfurey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Irishfurey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Irishfurey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Irishfurey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Irishfurey is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I want to build muscle but be in shape. I don't consider being huge and muscular being in shape. If you get winded walking a flight of stairs how functional are all those muscles. I guess I wanta combination of muslce mass and muscualr endurance. I disagree you that push-ups ect won't build mass. I know because I 've build mass in the past doing them.

Vaines will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaines will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaines will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaines will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaines will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaines will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaines will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaines will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaines will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaines will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaines will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Calisthenics are truly underated.

What are your goals? If it's power then go for pylometric exercises. Check out sports training forumn.
    "I Am a God in Amnesia....and Im Just Finally Starting To Remember" the great Sam Rattan, December 21,2012

The Strength of a Civilization is not measured by it's willingness to start a war, but it's willingness to prevent it.

Gene Roddenberry

KALIMAN91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KALIMAN91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KALIMAN91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KALIMAN91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KALIMAN91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KALIMAN91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KALIMAN91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KALIMAN91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KALIMAN91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KALIMAN91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KALIMAN91 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Well have fun building mass with pushups then! LOL!

Thats funny!

If pushups built mass then why would people bother with all the weights.

We dont need no stinkin 45lb plates we can just do pushups and put on mass.And after pushups we can do some squats with just our body weight.Man are we gonna get huge! LMAO

LAME! Real Lame.

SoG will become famous soon enough. (+50) SoG will become famous soon enough. (+50) SoG will become famous soon enough. (+50) SoG will become famous soon enough. (+50) SoG will become famous soon enough. (+50) SoG will become famous soon enough. (+50) SoG will become famous soon enough. (+50) SoG will become famous soon enough. (+50) SoG will become famous soon enough. (+50) SoG will become famous soon enough. (+50) SoG will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I posted a thread similar to Irishfurey's a few days ago concerning a calisthenics/weightlifting program. I wouldn't mind testing out a hybrid program.

Why is it lame?

ClassClown has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Kaliman stop being a dumbass....Hershel Walker never lifted weights....his whole football career was built around calisthenics

calisthenics dont work? sure there

Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Re: Weights training & Calisthenics

Originally posted by Irishfurey
    I respone well to calisthenics, push-ups, body weight squats. I really like lifting weights and I'm trying to develope a routine combining weight training with calisthenics. Would it be better to do them on seperate days or do them in the same workout. I was thinking of lifting 2x a week, a full body routine centering around compound lifts and them 3 days a week do a routine including push-ups, hindu push-ups, hindu squats, dips, chins and bridges.
    sounds like a pretty good idea
    not sure you should do 3x a week bw stuff maybe just 2x a week
    cus that's 4 workout days and only 3 for recovery
    unless you go on a 10 day 'week' instead of 7

pcaggiano has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Post Surgury Calisthenic Workout

Just had arthroscopic shoulder surgery to repair a badly torn labrum. Been going to physical therapy for weeks now and soon will be able to go back to the gym, just cant do anything overhead or bench press. My physical therapist said i will be able to do bicep curals, tricep pushdowns, cable rows, push ups and legs. Still looking for a a good calisthenic work out. To keep in weightlifting shape, so i dont loose a lot of what i have. Thanks

chadcall2012 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Exclamation

Originally Posted by KALIMAN91 View Post
    Well have fun building mass with pushups then! LOL!

Thats funny!

If pushups built mass then why would people bother with all the weights.

We dont need no stinkin 45lb plates we can just do pushups and put on mass.And after pushups we can do some squats with just our body weight.Man are we gonna get huge! LMAO

LAME! Real Lame.
    Are you a F***** dumbass? so many great athletes have built their bodies on solely Calisthenics! Weight Training is only a different way of reaching near identical results. the ONLY thing that weight training can do better than calisthenics is to reduce your FUNCTIONAL strength, and increase your size beyond the highest capabilities of calisthenics. By functional I mean when the ratio between the size and strength-endurance of your muscles begins to lean too far to the 'size' side, and you begin to lose the ability to gut out repititions. any day of the year, someone who can do 150 pushups and bench press their bodyweight for a few reps will ALWAYS be considered in better health than someone who can bench press 500 lbs, but only do 40 or so pushups. Thats just the reality of how the body works. more reps almost guarantees greater health. and size-wise, yessss.... there is a limit to how much size you can put on through calisthenics. But it should make perfect sense to everyone here that if you are going for size, you should at least attempt to reach the full potential of muscle-size through calisthenics before you attempt to begin using weights. This will ensure that when push comes to shove, and life tries to beat you down, you at least have the endurance to out-run it. FUNCTION is key to a better life.

What's more... about 90% of women prefer a guy who is fit and healthy, but dont want a guy with bulging muscles. They want someone with muscles PROPORTIONATE to the size of your skull. Calisthenics is key.

ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    My brain is melting reading this thread.

Yes, you can combine calisthenics and weight training and there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing so.

A lot of lifting coaches that aren't retarded have their trainees perform calisthenics exclusively before they allow them to do any barbell work at all. If you can't do 50 pushups without a problem, you don't belong on a bench under a loaded bar yet for example.

Calisthenics alone can help you build a nice physique, but they aren't exactly going to build a bodybuilder physique. You can find plenty of decent physiques built with only calisthenics, but lifting weights is much more efficient because you can easily manipulate intensity, volume, etc. whereas you mainly have to rely on your muscle growing from mostly muscle endurance work with calisthenics. There is also a limit to how much progressive overload you can create with bodyweight movements, so at some point it's more likely that you'll be doing "maintenance" workouts and just maintaining your muscle mass, when you could still provide enough stimulus to keep growing with weights. We can go more into whether or not calisthenics can create a good physique, etc. but you aren't even cutting out resistance training with weights to begin with. (So I'm not going to bother.)

The fear of "getting too big" is irrational to me, regardless of weights being lifted or not. You won't get "too big" naturally in most cases, for one. And you also won't get "too big" without eating for it. So what is the easiest way to stop yourself from getting too big? Stop eating more food and don't take any steroids once you get to where you want to be. Pretty fuking simple in my opinion. I thought only women have this irrational fear. (Irrational in their case especially, because they don't even have natural testosterone to build significant muscle mass to begin with.)

Now on to your program. I would begin with three full body days per week combining weights and calisthenics in one workout. Do the lifting portion first for the most part (pullups or muscle-ups could be among the first few exercises, but things like pushups should happen after benching instead of before it) and then the calisthenics routine. Make sure it is balanced (i.e. you don't want to neglect your legs). Once your get more advanced, you might want to split it up into lower/upper workouts (this is usually run 4 days per week). Both options give you enough recovery time. You could do some cardio on your off days as well.
    Lifting Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147159883

TakeEverything is not very well liked. (-100) TakeEverything is not very well liked. (-100) TakeEverything is not very well liked. (-100) TakeEverything is not very well liked. (-100) TakeEverything is not very well liked. (-100) TakeEverything is not very well liked. (-100) TakeEverything is not very well liked. (-100) TakeEverything is not very well liked. (-100) TakeEverything is not very well liked. (-100) TakeEverything is not very well liked. (-100) TakeEverything is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by chadcall2012 View Post
    Are you a F***** dumbass? so many great athletes have built their bodies on solely Calisthenics! Weight Training is only a different way of reaching near identical results. the ONLY thing that weight training can do better than calisthenics is to reduce your FUNCTIONAL strength, and increase your size beyond the highest capabilities of calisthenics. By functional I mean when the ratio between the size and strength-endurance of your muscles begins to lean too far to the 'size' side, and you begin to lose the ability to gut out repititions. any day of the year, someone who can do 150 pushups and bench press their bodyweight for a few reps will ALWAYS be considered in better health than someone who can bench press 500 lbs, but only do 40 or so pushups. Thats just the reality of how the body works. more reps almost guarantees greater health. and size-wise, yessss.... there is a limit to how much size you can put on through calisthenics. But it should make perfect sense to everyone here that if you are going for size, you should at least attempt to reach the full potential of muscle-size through calisthenics before you attempt to begin using weights. This will ensure that when push comes to shove, and life tries to beat you down, you at least have the endurance to out-run it. FUNCTION is key to a better life.

What's more... about 90% of women prefer a guy who is fit and healthy, but dont want a guy with bulging muscles. They want someone with muscles PROPORTIONATE to the size of your skull. Calisthenics is key.
    Are you a f****** dumbass? This thread is 3 years old... And whatever you said is not true.

*facepalm*

ENDSLOKO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

calisthenics

Anyone that thinks Calisthenics don't work for size look up Hannibal for King and check out Barstarzz on youtube.

thepseudo1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yeah I can't believe people would claim calisthenics don't do squat. I'm pretty sure most guys and girls alike prefer the body of a gymnast over a chunky bodybuilder any day.

awbasa is on a distinguished road. (+10) awbasa is on a distinguished road. (+10) awbasa is on a distinguished road. (+10) awbasa is on a distinguished road. (+10) awbasa is on a distinguished road. (+10) awbasa is on a distinguished road. (+10) awbasa is on a distinguished road. (+10) awbasa is on a distinguished road. (+10) awbasa is on a distinguished road. (+10) awbasa is on a distinguished road. (+10) awbasa is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You THINK Calisthenics dont work? THINK AGAIN http://www.youtube.com/user/calisthenicskingz

rick911 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) rick911 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) rick911 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) rick911 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) rick911 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) rick911 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) rick911 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) rick911 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) rick911 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) rick911 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) rick911 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Irishfurey View Post
    doing both is even more beneficial!

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    We don't need ancient threads bumped for the purposes of advertising.