dani5162 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dani5162 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dani5162 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dani5162 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dani5162 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dani5162 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dani5162 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dani5162 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dani5162 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dani5162 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dani5162 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Question Cramps when trying to run

I haven't really been running regularly for a while...mainly because of this problem getting worse and worse, but also because I've been slacking. So, I supplement with other things but my running ability is suffering. I miss it, but here's my problem:
    When I try to run, I get cramps in my diaphragm, right up under my ribcage. they get so bad that I cannot continue. This is after maybe 3 minutes of running!
    Sometimes they aren't just cramps-- they turn into the entire area seizing up, and it really freaking hurts!!!
    It's like the muscle is freaking out or something. I hadn't eaten too much beforehand, and, granted, I'm not in the best shape I've ever been in, but I think there's got to be something behind this.
    I don't think it's a lack of potassium, as I get plenty of it in my diet.
    Thanks for any help.
    Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy.

-Dale Carnegie

Nightbird573 is just really nice. (+1000) Nightbird573 is just really nice. (+1000) Nightbird573 is just really nice. (+1000) Nightbird573 is just really nice. (+1000) Nightbird573 is just really nice. (+1000) Nightbird573 is just really nice. (+1000) Nightbird573 is just really nice. (+1000) Nightbird573 is just really nice. (+1000) Nightbird573 is just really nice. (+1000) Nightbird573 is just really nice. (+1000) Nightbird573 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by dani5162 View Post
    I haven't really been running regularly for a while...mainly because of this problem getting worse and worse, but also because I've been slacking. So, I supplement with other things but my running ability is suffering. I miss it, but here's my problem:
    When I try to run, I get cramps in my diaphragm, right up under my ribcage. they get so bad that I cannot continue. This is after maybe 3 minutes of running!
    Sometimes they aren't just cramps-- they turn into the entire area seizing up, and it really freaking hurts!!!
    It's like the muscle is freaking out or something. I hadn't eaten too much beforehand, and, granted, I'm not in the best shape I've ever been in, but I think there's got to be something behind this.
    Thanks for any help.
    What do you mean by "I hadn't eaten too much beforehand"? If you eat anything within too close a time period to running, you begin to cramp because digestion stops. This is why they tell you not to eat anything before any sort of strenuous cardio

CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Any time I get 'stitches', its because I haven't been drinking enough water. You can't drink it all right before you go either...

dani5162 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dani5162 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dani5162 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dani5162 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dani5162 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dani5162 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dani5162 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dani5162 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dani5162 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dani5162 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dani5162 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    By "not eating too much" I mean about 2 hours before, I had a protein bar, then about an hour before, I had something to drink. Plus, I didn't have time for it to be strenuous, it was less than 3 minutes! lol.
    The water thing may be part of it...I try to get enough but maybe I'm not.
    would that result in the "vise grip" thing I'm getting though?
    Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy.

-Dale Carnegie

Nightbird573 is just really nice. (+1000) Nightbird573 is just really nice. (+1000) Nightbird573 is just really nice. (+1000) Nightbird573 is just really nice. (+1000) Nightbird573 is just really nice. (+1000) Nightbird573 is just really nice. (+1000) Nightbird573 is just really nice. (+1000) Nightbird573 is just really nice. (+1000) Nightbird573 is just really nice. (+1000) Nightbird573 is just really nice. (+1000) Nightbird573 is just really nice. (+1000)
    By "not eating too much" I mean about 2 hours before, I had a protein bar, then about an hour before, I had something to drink. Plus, I didn't have time for it to be strenuous, it was less than 3 minutes! lol.
    The water thing may be part of it...I try to get enough but maybe I'm not.
    would that result in the "vise grip" thing I'm getting though?
    Protein Bars sometimes have a lot of sugar alcohol which can cause abdominal cramping and discomfort. Check to see if the kind you are eating does. Maybe try eating something different, and see if it goes away.

CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Maybe start out doing some walking and some running. Do 5 minutes walking and 2 running and work your way up to just running. Are you stretching?

ftnsslvr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ftnsslvr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ftnsslvr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ftnsslvr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ftnsslvr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ftnsslvr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ftnsslvr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ftnsslvr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ftnsslvr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ftnsslvr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ftnsslvr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I get these too, but I can't tell you what it's from. I've googled it in the past and came up with something about people who get cramps tend to exhale when their right foot is coming down in stride while people who exhale on the left side do not get as many cramps. It has to do with where your diaphram is located. Try googling side stitches and you should be able to come up with it.

I know what you mean by how bad they hurt. When I get them, they DO NOT go away during the run, and if I'm an idiot and just decide to run with the pain, the next day I'll still have pain in my side, almost like a bruise. I wouldn't suggest running thru them. The side pain (mine, at least) is not like a normal side stitch that you can get to go away by slowing down or stopping, once it's there, it's there to stay.

The only other advise I can offer is I notice that when I haven't been working out like I should and working abs, I get them more. So I tend to make sure my abs are strong. I hope this helps.

eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I get this too, EVERY single time I run...I tried to google it and I found some different ways to help prevent it/get rid of it, but it never worked...I just went running with my sister today, and I got those side stitches again and she told me that she had a way to get rid of them and I was like "yeah..ok...just tell me, I'll try it.." because nothing ever takes them away! She told me to bend over (bend forward at the hips) and breathe out AS MUCH air as you can and hold it, then repeat a few times until you feel it's gone...and it worked!! They came back a few times, but I just took a few seconds to do that and they would go away...much better than before when I would get them and have to completely stop!

CEPCNC will become famous soon enough. (+50) CEPCNC will become famous soon enough. (+50) CEPCNC will become famous soon enough. (+50) CEPCNC will become famous soon enough. (+50) CEPCNC will become famous soon enough. (+50) CEPCNC will become famous soon enough. (+50) CEPCNC will become famous soon enough. (+50) CEPCNC will become famous soon enough. (+50) CEPCNC will become famous soon enough. (+50) CEPCNC will become famous soon enough. (+50) CEPCNC will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by CATRACCOM View Post
    Any time I get 'stitches', its because I haven't been drinking enough water. You can't drink it all right before you go either...
    this^^^^^

Drink a couple tall glasses of ice cold water about 1 hour before your cardio session or workout starts. Then, sip some ice cold water during your run. Feels good, no lie

new heights of badassity summertown74's Avatar
    summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I used to get side stitches every dammm time I went on a long run. So here's what I started doing: (I know this sounds weird!! lol)

Bend over at the hips, curl your hand into a "cup", and push the fingers into that area where you're cramping. Breathe out very forcefully. Hold the pressure through hard exhales until the pain eases. This works cuz the diaghram is a muscle.

That's what got me though the runs. As for prevention, I'm with the other posters who mentioned hydration. But I would add that you might want to be conscious of your breathing WHILE you're running....Make sure you're getting full deep breaths (pushing out your lower abdomen on the in blah blah blah ).

Good luck !!
    wabi sabi...the art of finding beauty in the imperfections of life.

daviess is just really nice. (+1000) daviess is just really nice. (+1000) daviess is just really nice. (+1000) daviess is just really nice. (+1000) daviess is just really nice. (+1000) daviess is just really nice. (+1000) daviess is just really nice. (+1000) daviess is just really nice. (+1000) daviess is just really nice. (+1000) daviess is just really nice. (+1000) daviess is just really nice. (+1000)
    Thanks for any help.
    it will get better as you build up your cardio.
    until then, breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth.
    run/walk with one arm up behind your head to help stretch it out.
    dont run constant speed. run till it hurts, than walk till it goes away. than run again.
    this rate is best for fat burning anyways
    On the path to get my Pre-pregnancy body back :)

https://shannondavies.myvi.net/loseweight

Thanks everybody!
    I'll try drinking more water--i thought I was getting an adequate amount,but to be honest i havent been paying much attention...haha. Also I'll be more careful to wait at least 2 hours after eating or drinking.

Also i think building up my cardio would help. I've been doing an awful lot of stat bike instead, lol.

Hopefully this will help! Again, thanks a bunch!

-Dale Carnegie

marioana is on a distinguished road. (+10) marioana is on a distinguished road. (+10) marioana is on a distinguished road. (+10) marioana is on a distinguished road. (+10) marioana is on a distinguished road. (+10) marioana is on a distinguished road. (+10) marioana is on a distinguished road. (+10) marioana is on a distinguished road. (+10) marioana is on a distinguished road. (+10) marioana is on a distinguished road. (+10) marioana is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I had the same problem until I increased the water intake. I used to drink about a liter before gym through out the day and that was it until after the workout. After I increased the water to 1.5 liters during the day and 0.75 liter while at gym (half during weight lifting and half during cardio) I didn't had any problems.

ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    When I first started running on the treadmill I would get terrible stitches in my side. I received the most amazing advice .
    I don't think I can remember everything the guy said but it was mainly about the normal water intake but also about my internal organs jiggling around . He suggested that I concentrate on one normal step on right then left then when I step again on my right I sort of stomp so in essence I'm concentrating on stomping every third step ( not a dramatic noticeable stomp ) just harder than the rest of your steps.

I decided to try it and miraculously the pain stopped . I was just thrilled and the concentration really helped me get past the discomfort as well.

When it was really horrible I would increase the incline to quite high and walk at 3.7-4.0 and my heart rate would also climb.

If its possible for someone to search for my post asking help on this topic I think it would be really helpful. I think it was in April or May of last year

Good luck

Taylormae is on a distinguished road. (+10) Taylormae is on a distinguished road. (+10) Taylormae is on a distinguished road. (+10) Taylormae is on a distinguished road. (+10) Taylormae is on a distinguished road. (+10) Taylormae is on a distinguished road. (+10) Taylormae is on a distinguished road. (+10) Taylormae is on a distinguished road. (+10) Taylormae is on a distinguished road. (+10) Taylormae is on a distinguished road. (+10) Taylormae is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I used to get this a lot before I learned how to breathe better during running. I would just breath as normal or hufff and puff, but a friend of mine mentioned that you're basically slamming your internal organs up and down, and if you try and breathe in at the wrong point, it can cause a stitch( no idea) so you pick a side, right or left. I'm right handed so it's always my right. I breathe out every time my right foot hits the treadmill or ground so your breathing out at the "downward" part of the movement and be sure to engage your abs at the same time.

I have no idea if there is anything behind that but since i started focusing on the breathing i haven;t had a single stitch again.*shrug*