redlinedrummer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) redlinedrummer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) redlinedrummer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) redlinedrummer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) redlinedrummer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) redlinedrummer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) redlinedrummer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) redlinedrummer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) redlinedrummer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) redlinedrummer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) redlinedrummer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Have legs become the new back!!!!!!

After this years "O" I was noticing that the judges seem to be giving high marks to contestants with the best legs over those with better backs!!!!! IMHO
    Last edited by redlinedrummer; 10-22-2009 at 03:54 PM.

On the way to 200+ pounds KevinSorbo's Avatar
    KevinSorbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KevinSorbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KevinSorbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KevinSorbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KevinSorbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KevinSorbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KevinSorbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KevinSorbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KevinSorbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KevinSorbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KevinSorbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    they seem to be rewarding the best overall package.

redlinedrummer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) redlinedrummer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) redlinedrummer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) redlinedrummer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) redlinedrummer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) redlinedrummer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) redlinedrummer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) redlinedrummer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) redlinedrummer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) redlinedrummer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) redlinedrummer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by KevinSorbo View Post
    I agree that they seem to be rewarding overall performance better then they use too....But to me it seems that legs are finally recieving the due they are deserved as a body part!!!!!IMHO

chenko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chenko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chenko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chenko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chenko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chenko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chenko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chenko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chenko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chenko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chenko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If so its about fuking time!
    Everyday is a lesson. Listen.

morderstwo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morderstwo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morderstwo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morderstwo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morderstwo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morderstwo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morderstwo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morderstwo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morderstwo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morderstwo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morderstwo is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    x2. Not all guys who turn up in top shape happen to have the same strong points. I love seeing the trend theorists frantically chasing their tails going around in circles wondering which way are they going now? Ronnie had the best overall development when he reined period . Did Stubbs's back pick up any O's? ....Oh now its mass, now its aesthetics, now its back, now its legs....The only thing thats changed is the top spot is now always under threat which is a good thing.

YESr0d is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YESr0d is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YESr0d is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YESr0d is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YESr0d is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YESr0d is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YESr0d is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YESr0d is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YESr0d is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YESr0d is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YESr0d is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Shredded legs are definitely getting more attention from the judges.

lightsout50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightsout50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightsout50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightsout50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightsout50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightsout50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightsout50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightsout50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightsout50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightsout50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightsout50 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    its a bout a complete physique, or at least the one with the less flaws

WNBF Pro Bodybuilder NextProtege's Avatar
    NextProtege is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NextProtege is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NextProtege is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NextProtege is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NextProtege is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NextProtege is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NextProtege is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NextProtege is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NextProtege is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NextProtege is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NextProtege is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I have to admit I've seen more "harder legs" threads then usual this year
    US Marine 0311 Combat Vet
    Owner - Genuine Fitness LLC
    ACSM/ISSA Personal Trainer
    Competitive Natural Bodybuilder

Follow my log to a natural pro card in 2014
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158337103

T3mpest is just really nice. (+1000) T3mpest is just really nice. (+1000) T3mpest is just really nice. (+1000) T3mpest is just really nice. (+1000) T3mpest is just really nice. (+1000) T3mpest is just really nice. (+1000) T3mpest is just really nice. (+1000) T3mpest is just really nice. (+1000) T3mpest is just really nice. (+1000) T3mpest is just really nice. (+1000) T3mpest is just really nice. (+1000)
    I wouldn't say this is true at all. Branch and Cutler both have fantastic legs for sure, but that's not why they were one and two. Cutler and Branch were among the most muscular competitors in every pose and had top notch conditioning to go with it.

NaturalLoco is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaturalLoco is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaturalLoco is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaturalLoco is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaturalLoco is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaturalLoco is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaturalLoco is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaturalLoco is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaturalLoco is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaturalLoco is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaturalLoco is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by morderstwo View Post
    x2. Not all guys who turn up in top shape happen to have the same strong points. I love seeing the trend theorists frantically chasing their tails going around in circles wondering which way are they going now? Ronnie had the best overall development when he reined period . Did Stubbs's back pick up any O's? ....Oh now its mass, now its aesthetics, now its back, now its legs....The only thing thats changed is the top spot is now always under threat which is a good thing.
    this!

im sick of people saying stupid things like "OHH 08 is leading to a more aesthetic champion, the aesthetic reign starts here" what a load of crap ! the best man wins.. it's simple.. a bber that has the mass of cutler comes in with the same condition as a dexter jackson, whos going to win? "Oh the mass monsters" blah what a crack of ****, the best overall package wins simple as that.. It just so happens that a larger physique with good proportions with condition will beat a smaller guy..

I thought it was funny in Colemans reign people where saying that having a back would win an O.. it's the entire physique.. Now they are going on about legs coz of jays stupid strations.. people just chase the best bodypart of the olympians and say a bodypart is getting more attention this year then others..
    Instagram @drsuperdose
    Online coaching & Contest prep
    www.thorntonfitness.com

Genital Warfare Penile_Dementia's Avatar
    Penile_Dementia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Penile_Dementia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Penile_Dementia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Penile_Dementia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Penile_Dementia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Penile_Dementia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Penile_Dementia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Penile_Dementia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Penile_Dementia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Penile_Dementia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Penile_Dementia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    !!!!! IMHO

Originally Posted by morderstwo View Post
    I lol'd. You find them everywhere, they're dangerous folk... seeing patterns in random information
    Feathered Nether Regions

morderstwo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morderstwo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morderstwo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morderstwo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morderstwo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morderstwo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morderstwo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morderstwo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morderstwo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morderstwo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morderstwo is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Penile_Dementia View Post
    I lol'd. You find them everywhere, they're dangerous folk... seeing patterns in random information

Nuki is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nuki is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nuki is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nuki is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nuki is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nuki is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nuki is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nuki is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nuki is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nuki is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nuki is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The answer to your question is "no". While there was one year when Dorian won only with a back I think these times are over. I'm a huge Dorian fan and I think he deserved his wins, but towards the end it was definitely a crapshoot. After much criticism of 2007 judging, the right seteps were taken in 2008, and I think this (2009) was one of the better judged Olympias.

In short, I don't think you can win the O without a massive back. For example Sylvio Samwell will never become Mr. O despite some outstanding bodyparts. This is what will make it really hard for someone like Phil Heath to also win the O but his shape is great and his lack of width is certainly overemphasized. When he's on stage he really doesn't look too narrow to me. The bad news is that he's now getting into that territory where if he tries to put on a bit more size to compete with Cutler on mass he might ruin his shape.

Strictly speaking of back shots, no arms and legs thrown in, I think out of the top six I'd rank them as

1 and 2 Kai and Victor
    3 and 4 Heath and Dexter
    5 Jay
    6 Branch

Jay's problem with back isn't size but it's separation. This year despite his amazing conditioning there was still not enough detail in the lats.

Real Join Date: Feb 2005 OneLoveLiftHard's Avatar
    OneLoveLiftHard is just really nice. (+1000) OneLoveLiftHard is just really nice. (+1000) OneLoveLiftHard is just really nice. (+1000) OneLoveLiftHard is just really nice. (+1000) OneLoveLiftHard is just really nice. (+1000) OneLoveLiftHard is just really nice. (+1000) OneLoveLiftHard is just really nice. (+1000) OneLoveLiftHard is just really nice. (+1000) OneLoveLiftHard is just really nice. (+1000) OneLoveLiftHard is just really nice. (+1000) OneLoveLiftHard is just really nice. (+1000)
    Nope, backs are still backs and legs are still legs...

I Am Teh Lolrus stealth_swimmer's Avatar
    stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    agreed.

If you look all the top guys have great backs now. Well if two guys have great backs but one has significantly better legs, who do you think is gonna have the advantage? Same goes for the other way around. If two guys are pretty even but one has a better back or better whatever and all other things are equal, the guy with the advantage is gonna win.

d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by NaturalLoco View Post
    this!

im sick of people saying stupid things like "OHH 08 is leading to a more aesthetic champion, the aesthetic reign starts here" what a load of crap ! the best man wins.. it's simple.. a bber that has the mass of cutler comes in with the same condition as a dexter jackson, whos going to win? "Oh the mass monsters" blah what a crack of ****, the best overall package wins simple as that.. It just so happens that a larger physique with good proportions with condition will beat a smaller guy..

I thought it was funny in Colemans reign people where saying that having a back would win an O.. it's the entire physique.. Now they are going on about legs coz of jays stupid strations.. people just chase the best bodypart of the olympians and say a bodypart is getting more attention this year then others..

i agree

when it comes to MR. O the best man (and by that i mean most developed, most conditioned and so on) has always won. although it can get controversial like 06/07

but when it comes to 2nd place and so on, perhaps bodyparts come more into play since you're scrutinizing and comparing so much more.

your theory might be right since Branch placed 2nd with such dominating legs and weaker back (and arms) when compared to dex, kai, phil

but there is just too many damn variables such as judging on two nights. (read phil heath)

the whole judging criteria seems vague and filled with holes. but the IFBB is a business just like any other and loopholes always benefit politics, and "what really goes on" but who the hell knows
    "A big guy don't need floor poses... that's only for midgets."

-Lee Haney

FaceTheFacts will become famous soon enough. (+50) FaceTheFacts will become famous soon enough. (+50) FaceTheFacts will become famous soon enough. (+50) FaceTheFacts will become famous soon enough. (+50) FaceTheFacts will become famous soon enough. (+50) FaceTheFacts will become famous soon enough. (+50) FaceTheFacts will become famous soon enough. (+50) FaceTheFacts will become famous soon enough. (+50) FaceTheFacts will become famous soon enough. (+50) FaceTheFacts will become famous soon enough. (+50) FaceTheFacts will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Tom Platz missed out.

Captain Sagara is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Captain Sagara is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Captain Sagara is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Captain Sagara is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Captain Sagara is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Captain Sagara is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Captain Sagara is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Captain Sagara is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Captain Sagara is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Captain Sagara is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Captain Sagara is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Penile_Dementia View Post
    !!!!! IMHO

LOL. When Heath wins an O if ever. The new trend will be arms.

"Has arms become the new back!!!!!!! "