ripperzo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

are protein shakes any good to get ripped?

Ok I'm sort of new when it comes to this body building stuff. First of all I haven't worked out in years, roughly about 7 yrs or more now. I recently started to work out. My body is ectomorph meaning skinny wrists, and just slim in general. I am 5'8. My body weight has fluctuated between 121-123 lbs. I have started to work out for 2 weeks now, and trying to change up by diet a bit. My main goal is to maintain a slim figure but get ripped/tones. The type of body I want is like Bruce Lee's. I believe he is 135lbs and 5'7. I dropped from 145lbs to 121 lbs withing 3 months due to depresssion. And most of stomache is pretty much flat now and I am happy which made me motivated to start working out. Much of the food I eat builds around my gut area. There's still some left, under my belly button still has some. I am not sure what my body fat percentage is. But certain parts of my body the skin is very thin and some areas thick. Like my stomache area when i grab it, it looks like about 1/2 thick, and like on my forearms, its very thin, like a 1 cm... I've been doing cardio (walk, jog, sprint) for 30 mins 2-3 times a week and burn roughly around 350 calories each time. And on the other 3 days I do weight training. I'm doing relatively light weights and high reps. about 3 sets and 15-20 reps for each excericise. Which lasts anywhere from 30-45 minutes.

As far as my diet goes. I think I am not taking in enough calories daily. I calculated my intake using a formula online and my daily recommended calories are about 1800. And I think each day I am getting about 1200-1500. Which is under and I am also working out burning between 90-350 calories each day. So my actual calorie intake is even lower since I am active. Will this help me to get ripped much quicker since I'm cutting back on my calories plus I train?

Another thing is. I don't want to get big and bulky. But maybe just a tad bit bigger in my muscles and I have been hearing people mentioning about eating enough protein. I'm a meat eater and eat a lot of protein so I think. But I am not sure how many grams of protein I need on a daily basis to help promote muscle growth. I think I may be under the recommended protein dosage as well. So I might get some protein shakes. Is whey protein the same as protein shakes? Does it taste bad and will it help me out with getting ripped? Also how often and when exactly do I need to take the protein shake? before my work out, after, during?

My main goal is to get lean by cutting down body fat and building muscles but keeping my slim form. Like Bruce Lee's build.

Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    self-proclaimed huguenot

live, laugh, send nudes

mayerthegreat will become famous soon enough. (+50) mayerthegreat will become famous soon enough. (+50) mayerthegreat will become famous soon enough. (+50) mayerthegreat will become famous soon enough. (+50) mayerthegreat will become famous soon enough. (+50) mayerthegreat will become famous soon enough. (+50) mayerthegreat will become famous soon enough. (+50) mayerthegreat will become famous soon enough. (+50) mayerthegreat will become famous soon enough. (+50) mayerthegreat will become famous soon enough. (+50) mayerthegreat will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ripperzo View Post
    Ok I'm sort of new when it comes to this body building stuff. First of all I haven't worked out in years, roughly about 7 yrs or more now. I recently started to work out. My body is ectomorph meaning skinny wrists, and just slim in general. I am 5'8. My body weight has fluctuated between 121-123 lbs. I have started to work out for 2 weeks now, and trying to change up by diet a bit. My main goal is to maintain a slim figure but get ripped/tones. The type of body I want is like Bruce Lee's. I believe he is 135lbs and 5'7. I dropped from 145lbs to 121 lbs withing 3 months due to depresssion. And most of stomache is pretty much flat now and I am happy which made me motivated to start working out. Much of the food I eat builds around my gut area. There's still some left, under my belly button still has some. I am not sure what my body fat percentage is. But certain parts of my body the skin is very thin and some areas thick. Like my stomache area when i grab it, it looks like about 1/2 thick, and like on my forearms, its very thin, like a 1 cm... I've been doing cardio (walk, jog, sprint) for 30 mins 2-3 times a week and burn roughly around 350 calories each time. And on the other 3 days I do weight training. I'm doing relatively light weights and high reps. about 3 sets and 15-20 reps for each excericise. Which lasts anywhere from 30-45 minutes.

As far as my diet goes. I think I am not taking in enough calories daily. I calculated my intake using a formula online and my daily recommended calories are about 1800. And I think each day I am getting about 1200-1500. Which is under and I am also working out burning between 90-350 calories each day. So my actual calorie intake is even lower since I am active. Will this help me to get ripped much quicker since I'm cutting back on my calories plus I train?

Another thing is. I don't want to get big and bulky. But maybe just a tad bit bigger in my muscles and I have been hearing people mentioning about eating enough protein. I'm a meat eater and eat a lot of protein so I think. But I am not sure how many grams of protein I need on a daily basis to help promote muscle growth. I think I may be under the recommended protein dosage as well. So I might get some protein shakes. Is whey protein the same as protein shakes? Does it taste bad and will it help me out with getting ripped? Also how often and when exactly do I need to take the protein shake? before my work out, after, during?

My main goal is to get lean by cutting down body fat and building muscles but keeping my slim form. Like Bruce Lee's build.
    To start off, you are not going to "get big and bulky" my using a weight training program, proper diet, and solid supplementation. Most huge bodybuilders take YEARS honing their physique to look like that.

Basically, you want to eat a small excess of food (500 calories or so) more than what you would eat to maintain your current weight. A protein shake by itself is not going to get you ripped, it is merely a way to get extra protein (which is the foundation for muscle building) into your system. A whey protein shake is a good post-workout protein idea because whey is easily digested/quickly broken down by your body to repair muscle damage (aka, weight training.)

Yes, whey protein is the most common form of a protein shake. They taste is usually "ok". ON makes a very affordable whey protein, you can find it right on the bestsellers list on the front page of bodybuilding.com. At your body weight, you could do well with 120-150g of protein a day. Look up how much protein is in different meats, it will give you a better idea of what your current protein intake is like. There are plenty of websites that will show nutritional info for different foods. Alternately, just type in "protein in 8 oz of steak" in google, and answers will pop up.

Again, to look like any professional or movie superstar, you need to be patient. It takes those people years and years of hard training and good diet to get to where they are when you see them. So start hitting the gym, and be consistent with your training. You will see results.

Think I answered most of your questions, if not, feel free to ask!

mayerthegreat thanks so much for your advice. Can I get this whey protein in vanilla flavored shake at like a local store? I prefer to get this right away so I can start taking it after each workout. Like GNC or some local health store?

Also how do they sell it? by individual packs or like a big tub. I am not sure how much I need.

Do I take the protein shake after cardio too or just on my weight training days?

Ever since I started working out and changing my diet up. My body weight has been fluctuating between 121-123lbs... Not sure if this is normal.

Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    mayerthegreat thanks so much for your advice. Can I get this whey protein in vanilla flavored shake at like a local store? I prefer to get this right away so I can start taking it after each workout. Like GNC or some local health store?

Also how do they sell it? by individual packs or like a big tub. I am not sure how much I need.

Do I take the protein shake after cardio too or just on my weight training days?

Ever since I started working out and changing my diet up. My body weight has been fluctuating between 121-123lbs... Not sure if this is normal.
    You can order it from BB.com or go to a local GNC (if you're desperate) or Vitamin Shoppe and get a big-@ss tub, because you'll use it eventually. I would recommend Optimum Nutrition, Myofusion or XF Whey to start. Take the protein after weight training or any time you work-out. Your body needs the same amount each day, whether you're exercising or recovering and the whey is just there to help you when you can't get it all from whole foods.

Body weight fluctuates. It is normal. You gain/lose muscle and gain/lose fat, so it's all good.

Also take some protein right when you wake up. Your body needs that, as you haven't eaten in 8 hours, or however long you've slept.
    self-proclaimed huguenot

live, laugh, send nudes

*Bodybuilder on a budget* carcaz13's Avatar
    carcaz13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) carcaz13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) carcaz13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) carcaz13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) carcaz13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) carcaz13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) carcaz13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) carcaz13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) carcaz13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) carcaz13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) carcaz13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Protein should be 1-1.5g per pound of body weight. Just read up on nutrition and building a basic and persistant wieght lifting routine. Try and stay modivated..you'll be amaized at what you can accomplish. Good luck bro!
    5'11 *So Close*
    200+

Ok so since I weigh 122lbs, i should be taking 183g of protein daily? (122*1.5g)? Is having a surplus of protein in your daily diet bad for you though?

the700level has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) the700level has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) the700level has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) the700level has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) the700level has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) the700level has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) the700level has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) the700level has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) the700level has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) the700level has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) the700level has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Ok so since I weigh 122lbs, i should be taking 183g of protein daily? (122*1.5g)? Is having a surplus of protein in your daily diet bad for you though?
    damn 32 years old and 122 lbs? are you a hardgainer?
    - Disregard females, acquire real estate
    - MAGA
    - Fauci for prison
    - Pureblood

brwnbear is on a distinguished road. (+10) brwnbear is on a distinguished road. (+10) brwnbear is on a distinguished road. (+10) brwnbear is on a distinguished road. (+10) brwnbear is on a distinguished road. (+10) brwnbear is on a distinguished road. (+10) brwnbear is on a distinguished road. (+10) brwnbear is on a distinguished road. (+10) brwnbear is on a distinguished road. (+10) brwnbear is on a distinguished road. (+10) brwnbear is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    op is too misinformed for me to even begin to try and help.

GoBigBlue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoBigBlue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoBigBlue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoBigBlue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoBigBlue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoBigBlue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoBigBlue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoBigBlue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoBigBlue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoBigBlue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoBigBlue is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You could take 220 grams of protein and would be alright at your weight. You need to be drinking at LEAST a gallon of water a day though to be flushing it all through your system. That sounds like a lot but I drink close to 2 gallons on days I work out. You will be peeing and pooping a lot more. Just saying. 6 meals a day man, eating healthy foods till you feel like puking.

Psych0Killer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    That doesn't sound like fun brah.

Roshaan1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Roshaan1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Roshaan1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Roshaan1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Roshaan1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Roshaan1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Roshaan1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    LOL at 122 lbs for a grown man i would honestly bulk the phuck up!!! if you wanna be lean and slim (sigh) then just bulk up to around 155 lbs or so and go on a clean bulk (like only 500 calories more than ur maintenance) ur bodyfat willl remain the same but muscle mass and weight will be higher so ur gonna look more ripped anyways ! And whey protein is just a supp to get in extra protein if u cant get enough in ur diet! I think a great supplement to buy what be creatine monoydrate which will help ur mass gains! Whey protein is good to have just incase u dont get enough in ur meals, also try stuff like mass gainers, u wont get fat as long as u eat good and healthy u will just gain muscle which u SERIOUSLY need! But honestly if u just wanna be slim then why did you join BODYBUILDING.COM?

Scrawny little Asian Providence94's Avatar
    Providence94 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Providence94 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Providence94 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Providence94 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Providence94 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Providence94 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Providence94 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Providence94 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Providence94 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Providence94 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Providence94 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Roshaan1 View Post
    LOL at 122 lbs for a grown man i would honestly bulk the phuck up!!! if you wanna be lean and slim (sigh) then just bulk up to around 155 lbs or so and go on a clean bulk (like only 500 calories more than ur maintenance) ur bodyfat willl remain the same but muscle mass and weight will be higher so ur gonna look more ripped anyways ! And whey protein is just a supp to get in extra protein if u cant get enough in ur diet! I think a great supplement to buy what be creatine monoydrate which will help ur mass gains! Whey protein is good to have just incase u dont get enough in ur meals, also try stuff like mass gainers, u wont get fat as long as u eat good and healthy u will just gain muscle which u SERIOUSLY need! But honestly if u just wanna be slim then why did you join BODYBUILDING.COM?
    hai guyz

Team Hollywood Militia
    (Contest Prep Coach/Nutritionist John "Otis" Hollywood)

CURRENTLY SHREDDIN

235p/430c/65f at 186lbs