Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    japhilo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) japhilo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) japhilo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) japhilo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) japhilo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) japhilo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) japhilo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Prednisone and Making Gains

Hey so I just got put on 40 mg of Prednisone for two weeks because of an ulcerative colitis flare up. I am now starting to taper 5 mg a week until I am done with the dosage. I understand that this drug is catabolic and is not beneficial for muscle building. However, now that I am feeling really good I was wondering if I start lifting again if I will be able to make progress in my lifts while taking this dosage (35, 30, 25, etc.)? Any input helps, especially if you have had experience with this drug.

BeastModeFTW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BeastModeFTW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BeastModeFTW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BeastModeFTW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BeastModeFTW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BeastModeFTW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BeastModeFTW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BeastModeFTW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BeastModeFTW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BeastModeFTW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BeastModeFTW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    predisone is the worst. brb acne. brb moon face. brb skinny fat. brb sweat all the time. its all bad.

BamBam42 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BamBam42 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BamBam42 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BamBam42 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BamBam42 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BamBam42 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BamBam42 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BamBam42 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BamBam42 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BamBam42 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BamBam42 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Lift anyway.

Who cares if you won't make gains? Better than lying on the couch feeling sorry for yourself while you get worse.
    Post a pic of the most fuking gym you can find!!

obliteratedpoon will become famous soon enough. (+50) obliteratedpoon will become famous soon enough. (+50) obliteratedpoon will become famous soon enough. (+50) obliteratedpoon will become famous soon enough. (+50) obliteratedpoon will become famous soon enough. (+50) obliteratedpoon will become famous soon enough. (+50) obliteratedpoon will become famous soon enough. (+50) obliteratedpoon will become famous soon enough. (+50) obliteratedpoon will become famous soon enough. (+50) obliteratedpoon will become famous soon enough. (+50) obliteratedpoon will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by BamBam42 View Post
    Lift anyway.

Who cares if you won't make gains? Better than lying on the couch feeling sorry for yourself while you get worse.
    this

lift for the sole purpouse of picking up heavy ****

orangecup will become famous soon enough. (+50) orangecup will become famous soon enough. (+50) orangecup will become famous soon enough. (+50) orangecup will become famous soon enough. (+50) orangecup will become famous soon enough. (+50) orangecup will become famous soon enough. (+50) orangecup will become famous soon enough. (+50) orangecup will become famous soon enough. (+50) orangecup will become famous soon enough. (+50) orangecup will become famous soon enough. (+50) orangecup will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I love prednisone. Whenever I feel like **** I beg for a cortico-steroid shot and wreck it in the gym.

japhilo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) japhilo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) japhilo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) japhilo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) japhilo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) japhilo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) japhilo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by orangecup View Post
    I love prednisone. Whenever I feel like **** I beg for a cortico-steroid shot and wreck it in the gym.
    Ya from my last few gym sessions I have noticed an increase in energy levels

Originally Posted by BamBam42 View Post
    Lift anyway.

Isn't that the truth. I guess there really is only one way to find out if I can make progress.

Come at me bro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Come at me bro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Come at me bro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Come at me bro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Come at me bro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Come at me bro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Come at me bro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Come at me bro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Come at me bro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Come at me bro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Come at me bro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    The shots are eh.. It's a hit or miss

The presideone pills? I doubt you can pay me to take those again

Absolute hell

I have 4 bulging discs and I tore everything possible from the right side of my back to my hip, the sciatica and scar tissue is the worst, bish doctor decided to put me on that for a week, I knew it a half hour in that it was no good but finished the whole week, let's just say your not gonna feel like working out its more like your gonna try to find a seat because you feel like your gonna faint

littlebear23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) littlebear23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) littlebear23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) littlebear23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) littlebear23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) littlebear23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) littlebear23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) littlebear23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) littlebear23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) littlebear23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) littlebear23 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by japhilo View Post
    Hey so I just got put on 40 mg of Prednisone for two weeks because of an ulcerative colitis flare up. I am now starting to taper 5 mg a week until I am done with the dosage. I understand that this drug is catabolic and is not beneficial for muscle building. However, now that I am feeling really good I was wondering if I start lifting again if I will be able to make progress in my lifts while taking this dosage (35, 30, 25, etc.)? Any input helps, especially if you have had experience with this drug.
    I'm sorry to hear about the ulceritive colitis. That is a very painful disease process; hopefully your medical team will find the right plan for you so that you will not experience future flare-ups.

While I have never taken prednisone, I do have experience for managing care with clients who are prescribed this, and similar drugs. Prednisone belongs to a class of drugs called 'corticosteroids' and it acts as an anti-inflammatory to decrease GI inflammation (prednisone is also used in clients with COPD for it's anti-inflammatory effects on the bronchus). It does suppress your immune system so try to stay away from individuals with active respiratory infections.

The are many adverse effects including weight gain, sodium and fluid retention, hyperglycemia for example. Muscle wasting is not one of those effects, at least I haven't had any clients experiencing this. The only reason that I can think of behind this, is due to the physical inactivity for the simple reason of clients not being able to tolerate the physical exertion brought on by their disease processes (which is 100% understandable).

The only concern that I have as a healthcare professional, is the potential for injury and infection to you. While you are feeling better now, that doesn't mean you are ready to take on your exercise routine. As I stated previously, your immune system is suppressed, and being on this drug can mask symptoms of infection. I understand your desire to get back into your groove of physical activity, so I would advise you to start low and go slow (i.e. light weight lifting, walking for 20-30 minutes on incline, etc.).

You will get to the point of not requiring prednisone, just try not to rush yourself; the gym will be there when you get back. Good luck, and I hope you well soon.

(I'm a nurse and I specialize in nutrition and bariatrics).

Originally Posted by littlebear23 View Post
    I'm sorry to hear about the ulceritive colitis. That is a very painful disease process; hopefully your medical team will find the right plan for you so that you will not experience future flare-ups.

While I have never taken prednisone, I do have experience for managing care with clients who are prescribed this, and similar drugs. Prednisone belongs to a class of drugs called 'corticosteroids' and it acts as an anti-inflammatory to decrease GI inflammation (prednisone is also used in clients with COPD for it's anti-inflammatory effects on the bronchus). It does suppress your immune system so try to stay away from individuals with active respiratory infections.

The are many adverse effects including weight gain, sodium and fluid retention, hyperglycemia for example. Muscle wasting is not one of those effects, at least I haven't had any clients experiencing this. The only reason that I can think of behind this, is due to the physical inactivity for the simple reason of clients not being able to tolerate the physical exertion brought on by their disease processes (which is 100% understandable).

The only concern that I have as a healthcare professional, is the potential for injury and infection to you. While you are feeling better now, that doesn't mean you are ready to take on your exercise routine. As I stated previously, your immune system is suppressed, and being on this drug can mask symptoms of infection. I understand your desire to get back into your groove of physical activity, so I would advise you to start low and go slow (i.e. light weight lifting, walking for 20-30 minutes on incline, etc.).

You will get to the point of not requiring prednisone, just try not to rush yourself; the gym will be there when you get back. Good luck, and I hope you well soon.

Great advice. Thanks for the input.

Staynlean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Staynlean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Staynlean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Staynlean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Staynlean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Staynlean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Staynlean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Staynlean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Staynlean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Staynlean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Staynlean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I took Prednisone for 4 years, just switched to Celebrex. Life is good.

I did not notice any adverse effects while taking prednisone though other than it making my anxiety worse.

Celebrex is freakin awesome!
    Yup

matcpn will become famous soon enough. (+50) matcpn will become famous soon enough. (+50) matcpn will become famous soon enough. (+50) matcpn will become famous soon enough. (+50) matcpn will become famous soon enough. (+50) matcpn will become famous soon enough. (+50) matcpn will become famous soon enough. (+50) matcpn will become famous soon enough. (+50) matcpn will become famous soon enough. (+50) matcpn will become famous soon enough. (+50) matcpn will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    just because a drug is catabolic doesn't mean it kills gains (stay with me)

in physiological levels, cortisol is more correlated with muscle growth that hgh or testosterone, and its catabolic, srs

Prime Minister of da misc Douche100's Avatar
    Douche100 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Douche100 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Douche100 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Douche100 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Douche100 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Douche100 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Douche100 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Douche100 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Douche100 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Douche100 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Douche100 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by littlebear23 View Post

It is for sure muscle and bone wasting. It also increase muscle soreness and joint pain. So OP should take it easy.
    My name is cheryl and I am your daughter.

LECTER neg counter: 16 times! /negs I win! He mad.

drinks tea ayyday allday ticklemeelbow's Avatar
    ticklemeelbow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ticklemeelbow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ticklemeelbow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ticklemeelbow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ticklemeelbow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ticklemeelbow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ticklemeelbow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ticklemeelbow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ticklemeelbow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ticklemeelbow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ticklemeelbow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    This is the only thing that gets me out of a flare too op. I continue to lift throughout. Drug is absolute poison, so good luck getting off of it quickly. I haven't had any symptoms for a year and a half.
    Lost all hope for the world.
    Chelsea FC supporter

Originally Posted by ticklemeelbow View Post
    This is the only thing that gets me out of a flare too op. I continue to lift throughout. Drug is absolute poison, so good luck getting off of it quickly. I haven't had any symptoms for a year and a half.
    Glad to hear you are in good health. While lifting throughout your prednisone usage, did you make decent progress?

Arnoldfan01 is just really nice. (+1000) Arnoldfan01 is just really nice. (+1000) Arnoldfan01 is just really nice. (+1000) Arnoldfan01 is just really nice. (+1000) Arnoldfan01 is just really nice. (+1000) Arnoldfan01 is just really nice. (+1000) Arnoldfan01 is just really nice. (+1000) Arnoldfan01 is just really nice. (+1000) Arnoldfan01 is just really nice. (+1000) Arnoldfan01 is just really nice. (+1000) Arnoldfan01 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Glad I read this, I had no idea about this drug. I was prescribed 1 week course, 40mg day. I can feel the weakness in my joist and muscles, I'm still deadlifting tomorrow, even if I have to pop vivarin and aspirin.
    "We will all die, we will all be in a lot of pain, it's all coming our way, it's inevitable, it's a part of life. But in the mean time, you might as well be a freaking savage and put your best foot forward and train like a motherfukr."
    - Mark Bell

Zeta Male Crew: Every Alpha is someone else’s beta ultimately, Shut up, and get out of our way. We are Zeta Males, and we aren’t going anywhere. You are.

Registered User ryanisfootdrums's Avatar
    ryanisfootdrums is just really nice. (+1000) ryanisfootdrums is just really nice. (+1000) ryanisfootdrums is just really nice. (+1000) ryanisfootdrums is just really nice. (+1000) ryanisfootdrums is just really nice. (+1000) ryanisfootdrums is just really nice. (+1000) ryanisfootdrums is just really nice. (+1000) ryanisfootdrums is just really nice. (+1000) ryanisfootdrums is just really nice. (+1000) ryanisfootdrums is just really nice. (+1000) ryanisfootdrums is just really nice. (+1000)
    Last long bulk I was on I had to take pred. Faurking sucked my face blew up. Bleh.

Originally Posted by ryanisfootdrums View Post
    Last long bulk I was on I had to take pred. Faurking sucked my face blew up. Bleh.
    Did you lift throughout the duration of your usage? If so, did you notice any difference?

pfbadger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pfbadger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pfbadger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pfbadger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pfbadger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pfbadger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pfbadger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pfbadger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pfbadger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pfbadger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pfbadger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I was on and off Prednisone for a few years...when I was at the 40mg dosage the one positive side effect I had (in terms of lifting) was that my energy levels were through the roof. I had other not so good side effects (moonface, sweating for no reason, etc) but it gave me energy for the gym. I never heard of it causing muscle wasting, but my doc was concerned about it affecting my bone density. I had a bone density scan after being on/off it a few times and luckily I was fine in that regard.

Registered User Canadian_Lifter's Avatar
    Canadian_Lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Canadian_Lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Canadian_Lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Canadian_Lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Canadian_Lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Canadian_Lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Canadian_Lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Canadian_Lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Canadian_Lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Canadian_Lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Canadian_Lifter is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Sorry bud corticosteroids destroy/hamper interleukins involved in the inflammatory process, which would dampen the effects of your ulcerative colitis

Wish you all the best, but corticosteroids aren't anabolic steroids
    Canadian American dual citizen
    Chemical engineer crew
    MD crew
    Gastroenterologist crew

drinks tea ayyday allday ticklemeelbow's Avatar
    ticklemeelbow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ticklemeelbow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ticklemeelbow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ticklemeelbow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ticklemeelbow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ticklemeelbow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ticklemeelbow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ticklemeelbow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ticklemeelbow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ticklemeelbow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ticklemeelbow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by japhilo View Post
    Glad to hear you are in good health. While lifting throughout your prednisone usage, did you make decent progress?
    No it was strictly to keep my mind "lifted." Exercise is crucial for me to feel "positive." It's also good to lift while on pred because of the damage it does to your bones, lifting helps it.
    Lost all hope for the world.
    Chelsea FC supporter

StevethePilot is a name known to all. (+5000) StevethePilot is a name known to all. (+5000) StevethePilot is a name known to all. (+5000) StevethePilot is a name known to all. (+5000) StevethePilot is a name known to all. (+5000) StevethePilot is a name known to all. (+5000) StevethePilot is a name known to all. (+5000) StevethePilot is a name known to all. (+5000) StevethePilot is a name known to all. (+5000) StevethePilot is a name known to all. (+5000) StevethePilot is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Douche100 View Post
    It is for sure muscle and bone wasting. It also increase muscle soreness and joint pain. So OP should take it easy.
    Lol yeah long term at high doses. As in arthritis at age 80 or no UC, and that's if your on it for long term. However the small stuff like joint pain, moon face, insomnia is true and a bitch.

I have UC, the oral form sent me into the Hospital for pancreatitis acute. Someone correct me but prednisone is not injectable and only oral form. The intravenous form is corti but is called something else and most don't need tapering. Get off prednisone ASAP those side effects suck.

I just got on remicade today. Fml hope it works. Good luck OP, been in my first flare since diagnosed and it's been a year already haha.

Ps I wouldn't lift in a flare, there are articles on it that proving its bad for your repair process for remission. Do light **** if you can.

Giant_Killer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Giant_Killer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Giant_Killer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Giant_Killer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Giant_Killer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Giant_Killer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Giant_Killer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Giant_Killer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Giant_Killer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Giant_Killer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Giant_Killer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I don't think it will make the slightest bit of difference in your case OP
    the pump is the cure
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

pfbadger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pfbadger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pfbadger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pfbadger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pfbadger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pfbadger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pfbadger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pfbadger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pfbadger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pfbadger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pfbadger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by StevethePilot View Post
    Lol yeah long term at high doses. As in arthritis at age 80 or no UC, and that's if your on it for long term. However the small stuff like joint pain, moon face, insomnia is true and a bitch.

I have UC, the oral form sent me into the Hospital for pancreatitis acute. Someone correct me but prednisone is not injectable and only oral form. The intravenous form is corti but is called something else and most don't need tapering. Get off prednisone ASAP those side effects suck.

I just got on remicade today. Fml hope it works. Good luck OP, been in my first flare since diagnosed and it's been a year already haha.

Ps I wouldn't lift in a flare, there are articles on it that proving its bad for your repair process for remission. Do light **** if you can.
    Remicade was a game changer for me...haven't been back on Prednisone since I went on Remicade a few years ago. Good luck hope it helps.

StevethePilot is a name known to all. (+5000) StevethePilot is a name known to all. (+5000) StevethePilot is a name known to all. (+5000) StevethePilot is a name known to all. (+5000) StevethePilot is a name known to all. (+5000) StevethePilot is a name known to all. (+5000) StevethePilot is a name known to all. (+5000) StevethePilot is a name known to all. (+5000) StevethePilot is a name known to all. (+5000) StevethePilot is a name known to all. (+5000) StevethePilot is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by pfbadger View Post
    Remicade was a game changer for me...haven't been back on Prednisone since I went on Remicade a few years ago. Good luck hope it helps.
    How fast were the results? If you don't mind me asking. How long did it take for remission?

Seems like a month for the general group of UCers?

How fast were the results? If you don't mind me asking. How long did it take for remission?

Seems like a month for the general group of UCers?
    I had an active flare when I received my first infusion, and it was gone by the end of the week (srs). I'm still on a couple other meds (Lialda and Azathioprine) but I've been mostly symptom free since adding Remicade. I just hope it keeps working as well as it has!

I had an active flare when I received my first infusion, and it was gone by the end of the week (srs). I'm still on a couple other meds (Lialda and Azathioprine) but I've been mostly symptom free since adding Remicade. I just hope it keeps working as well as it has!
    **** yeah drug buddies 4 life. I have the same plan. By the time remicade stops working which takes years and for most people it doesn't there always the other equivalents. By then we will have better medicine. In 5-10 years our outlook will be so much better. ESP since so many people have it and it's an important medical topic. **** surgery and keep living life.

The flare is under control and my doctor gave me the ok to hit the gym.

HaythamKenway is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HaythamKenway is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HaythamKenway is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HaythamKenway is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HaythamKenway is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HaythamKenway is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HaythamKenway is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HaythamKenway is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HaythamKenway is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HaythamKenway is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HaythamKenway is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I worked for over a year with someone who required prednisone. She died.

I only say this so that you are aware that it is a powerful drug. I'll never forget her. She worked harder than anyone...and she died. She was harmed by prednisone.

Yeah my doc is considering starting me on remicade. Just the lialda kept me in remission for four years though.