bkbm is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Figure Prep: Day before/day of?

I'm prepping for my second figure competition, and I was curious if there are any females out there that don't respond well to carbs like me.

For my last peak week I looked super lean, so my coach had me eat an In-n-Out double double to carb up the night before. The day of the show I felt watery, though, and not nearly as "full" as I wanted to look...and I had no vascularity at all either. Basically I felt bloated and like I looked better before I had eaten the "carb up" meal.

I don't want the same thing to happen for my upcoming show. My body does not absorb carbs like most peoples; they just sit under my skin and bloat me. Are there any ladies out there who can recommend what to eat the night before/day of to help give me that full "pump" while not appearing bloated?

Thanks in advance.

mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Uh... In'n'Out seems like it's mostly fats. I don't compete but it seems like you could've carbed up with something less fatty and low sodium.
    Instagram: @doctorv17

Originally Posted by mavd View Post
    Uh... In'n'Out seems like it's mostly fats. I don't compete but it seems like you could've carbed up with something less fatty and low sodium.
    Agreed. As a newbie all I could do was really listen to my coach. But now that I know it didn't work, that's why I'm asking for advice.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    What did the rest of your peak week look like? Did you manipulate carbs and sodium through the week? Did you cut back/cut out water? How tall are you and how much did you weigh on show day?

If a competitor isn't completely depleted those types of meals aren't needed.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post
    What did the rest of your peak week look like? Did you manipulate carbs and sodium through the week? Did you cut back/cut out water? How tall are you and how much did you weigh on show day?

^^this
    Owner of So-B-Fit
    CPT

IG: stephaniesobien

NPC WPD and WNPF, Metal Militia powerlifter

I'm 5'3" and my stage weight was 125lbs. The rest of peak week was low carb, low/moderate fat, until Thursday...we upped my carbs a little bit. Not much sodium manipulation, but I drank 2 gallons of water a day through Wednesday, then 1 gallon, then a half gallon, and just a few glasses on show day.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by bkbm View Post
    I'm 5'3" and my stage weight was 125lbs. The rest of peak week was low carb, low/moderate fat, until Thursday...we upped my carbs a little bit. Not much sodium manipulation, but I drank 2 gallons of water a day through Wednesday, then 1 gallon, then a half gallon, and just a few glasses on show day.
    Some thoughts for your next peak week. When you cut back on water the body starts to retain water to prevent dehydration. Keep your water intake the same through the entire week (a gallon is plenty.) Drink on show days with each of your meals 4-6 oz and sip as needed. Slightly cut back on sodium during the week but don't completely cut it out. On show day no sodium is needed just what's in your food. Same thing with carbs. A little more at the beginning of peak week and slowly cut back through the week. Save the carb up for show day because it doesn't take much to fill out a female. If you are stage lean and completely depleted the fill out meal is normally done 1.5 to 2 hrs before hitting the stage. Something with carbs, fats and sodium will fill you out nicely.

Truth be told you need to come in leaner. When you're not lean enough it's not going to really matter what you do for peak week because you're off the mark a bit. Nothing drastic is needed for a peak week because you're basically just coasting into your show.

Use it as a learning experience and understand you'll continue getting better with each show.

Congrats on your first show and good luck in the future!
    Last edited by kimm4; 10-03-2017 at 01:43 PM.

Some thoughts for your next peak week. When you cut back on water the body starts to retain water to prevent dehydration. Keep your water intake the same through the entire week (a gallon is plenty.) Drink on show days with each of your meals 4-6 oz and sip as needed. Slightly cut back on sodium during the week but don't completely cut it out. On show day no sodium is needed just what's in your food. Same thing with carbs. A little more at the beginning of peak week and slowly cut back through the week. Save the carb up for show day because it doesn't take much to fill out a female.

Truth be told you need to come in leaner. When you're not lean enough it's not going to really matter what you do for peak week because you're off the mark a bit. Nothing drastic is really needed for a peak week because you're basically just coasting into your show.

Use it as a learning experience and understand you'll continue getting better with each show.

Congrats on your first show and good luck in the future!
    Thanks, I'll keep all that in mind, for sure! This will be my last show. Bodybuilding is not the sport for me, although I'm glad I'm giving it two shows. I placed 3rd in my last show, so I'm hoping with some tweaks I'll be able to do well again for this one.

Originally Posted by bkbm View Post
    Thanks, I'll keep all that in mind, for sure! This will be my last show. Bodybuilding is not the sport for me, although I'm glad I'm giving it two shows. I placed 3rd in my last show, so I'm hoping with some tweaks I'll be able to do well again for this one.
    Good for you and congrats on your placing. Competing is hard and it's not for everyone. As a first time competitor I hope it wasn't your prep that turned you off from competing. We have to be dedicated with our diet but it shouldn't make you miserable. If the diet is bland/boring, too low in calorie and you're killing yourself with tons of cardio...walk away from your coach because that's not how a healthy prep should be done.

Again it's none of my business and I'm not here to step on other coaches toes. If you have any questions feel free to PM me at anytime.

Good for you and congrats on your placing. Competing is hard and it's not for everyone. As a first time competitor I hope it wasn't your prep that turned you off from competing. We have to be dedicated with our diet but it shouldn't make you miserable. If the diet is bland/boring, too low in calorie and you're killing yourself with tons of cardio...walk away from your coach because that's not how a healthy prep should be done.

Again it's none of my business and I'm not here to step on other coaches toes. If you have any questions feel free to PM me at anytime.
    Absolutely agree. My coach is...well we aren't the best fit, it's true, but I don't live on the treadmill and he doesn't starve me. I think my priorities have just shifted a bit and the stage just isn't a goal that seems worth it anymore. Towards the end of prep I find myself just not liking who I am because my energy is so low, and it's just got me questioning if it's all worth it. My body isn't responding as well as it did last prep, either, so I very well may not even be stage ready in time. We shall see...

I may re-visit body building again in the future, though. With the right coach I know that there is a lot of joy in it, for sure. Thanks again for your advice and support!