lbeck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Trying to build muscle and lose a little flubber

I'm new to weight lifting. My goal is to put on some muscle mass and definition and lose a little bit of fat that I have. I'm 6' tall and weigh 170 pounds. I've been pretty sknny my whole life. Within the past 2 or 3 years I've been collecting weight around my belly, hips, butt and thighs and a little around my chest. Its not a lot by any means but it definitely shows. I have little muscle, at least that is showing so I started a work out program. I work my upper body one day, lower body another day and then usually repeat my upper body on a third day. Below are the supplements I'm taking.

Creatine, Whey Protein, After Max (on days I workout), Opti-Men vitamin.

I'm eating anywhere from 4-6 times a day so I'm getting the food intake that I need and I eat about 90% of whole foods. I feel I'm eating pretty good. I've heard that if you want to build muscle you should stay away from cardio but I'm noticing that with all the extra food I'm eating and the fat I already had it appears to be getting worse. I've only been on my program for about 2 weeks.

So I really need to know if I should be doing cardio along with my regular weight lifting. Will I eventually burn the fat I have without doing cardio? If I do cardio, will it take longer to build muscle mass?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by lbeck; 10-15-2009 at 08:22 AM. Reason: typos

CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Please tell me you have created an exercise program that will help remove Flubber from my memory

... not even Robin William's worst movie. Have anything that will also help me lose a little Jumanji or a little Mrs. Doubtfire?
    GoRuck Challenge Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150446113

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." -Edmund Burke

"Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also." -Marcus Aurelius

ChAoSnPAIN is just really nice. (+1000) ChAoSnPAIN is just really nice. (+1000) ChAoSnPAIN is just really nice. (+1000) ChAoSnPAIN is just really nice. (+1000) ChAoSnPAIN is just really nice. (+1000) ChAoSnPAIN is just really nice. (+1000) ChAoSnPAIN is just really nice. (+1000) ChAoSnPAIN is just really nice. (+1000) ChAoSnPAIN is just really nice. (+1000) ChAoSnPAIN is just really nice. (+1000) ChAoSnPAIN is just really nice. (+1000)
    Why is it that new jacks ALWAYS use creatine? It fascinates me.

CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by ChAoSnPAIN View Post
    Why is it that new jacks ALWAYS use creatine? It fascinates me.
    creatine = steroids... but legal and in a powder form that mixes easily with grape juice
    GoRuck Challenge Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150446113

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." -Edmund Burke

"Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also." -Marcus Aurelius

Daboz1323 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Daboz1323 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Daboz1323 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Daboz1323 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by CookAndrewB View Post
    creatine = steroids... but legal and in a powder form that mixes easily with grape juice
    lolz.

Dude

Just hit the weights hard. do some jogging on off days. You don't need supplements. blance your workouts with legs chest back arms. best way to burn fat is slow jog with heart rate about 120 or so depending on age. I wrote a novel on it (well it seemed like a novel) in some other post. look it up
    If it was easy, everyone would do it...

Originally Posted by Daboz1323 View Post
    lolz.

Dude

Just hit the weights hard. do some jogging on off days. You don't need supplements. blance your workouts with legs chest back arms. best way to burn fat is slow jog with heart rate about 120 or so depending on age. I wrote a novel on it (well it seemed like a novel) in some other post. look it up
    Thanks man, your post was actually helpful.

Why does everyone say creatine is steroids? Its natural, right?

SerusMournstar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SerusMournstar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SerusMournstar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SerusMournstar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SerusMournstar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SerusMournstar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SerusMournstar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SerusMournstar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SerusMournstar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SerusMournstar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SerusMournstar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by lbeck View Post
    Thanks man, your post was actually helpful.

Why does everyone say creatine is steroids? Its natural, right?
    I think the creatine thing is a joke. You don't need creatine, it is a waste of time and money. Only supplement worth anything in my opinion is whey, and even that is no replacement for real food.

Edit: I mean to say that I think the thing that they said about creatine being like steroids is a joke. Yes it is natural and found in food.
    Dead Lift 348x5
    Squat 298x5
    Bench 254x5
    Row 230x3
    Press 150x2

Originally Posted by SerusMournstar View Post
    I think the creatine thing is a joke. You don't need creatine, it is a waste of time and money. Only supplement worth anything in my opinion is whey, and even that is no replacement for real food.

Edit: I mean to say that I think the thing that they said about creatine being like steroids is a joke. Yes it is natural and found in food.
    Thanks for the info. Creatine being steroids is definitely a joke. Its so widely tested across the states that its not even funny. It would not be legal if it was anything like steroids.

Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    lbeck, given your stats, you could maintain your current calorie intake and maintain your existing weight, and still make good muscular gains over time. Just be consistant with your weight training routine, and focus on progression. Get on a good routine and you should be able to do a "recomp" just fine. At 6' tall and 170lbs, that's not too bad, and while you could stand to gain some weight, as a skinny fat person you have some room for muscle to grow. Personally my goal is to be about 15% bodyfat before I start a clean bulk. You might consider something similar.

BTW I think taking creatine as a supplement is just fine. I did about 5mg a day for a couple months and I believe it helped me minimize strength losses during a period of weight reduction.
    --- Nick ---