glaketek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

problems with diet and ketosis q

Okay, huge problem.

I went from 4.9% bf to 11% bf in a few months, and can't get out of the rut. I'm trying to get my body into a ketosis state, but I keep getting uncontrollable urges and break the diet miserably. Every time I mess up, I go into 900 cal days for the next couple days and lose muscle and energy while trying to get back to the previous weight.

How long does it take for a body to get into ketosis? Does the body respond by getting fat first, then once in ketosis, start losing fat? Has anyone messed up during ketosis? Please explain your bodies reaction.

Poetique is on a distinguished road. (+10) Poetique is on a distinguished road. (+10) Poetique is on a distinguished road. (+10) Poetique is on a distinguished road. (+10) Poetique is on a distinguished road. (+10) Poetique is on a distinguished road. (+10) Poetique is on a distinguished road. (+10) Poetique is on a distinguished road. (+10) Poetique is on a distinguished road. (+10) Poetique is on a distinguished road. (+10) Poetique is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by glaketek View Post
    Okay, huge problem.

I went from 4.9% bf to 11% bf in a few months, and can't get out of the rut. I'm trying to get my body into a ketosis state, but I keep getting uncontrollable urges and break the diet miserably. Every time I mess up, I go into 900 cal days for the next couple days and lose muscle and energy while trying to get back to the previous weight.

How long does it take for a body to get into ketosis? Does the body respond by getting fat first, then once in ketosis, start losing fat? Has anyone messed up during ketosis? Please explain your bodies reaction.
    Depends on the person... as soon as 2 days for some people, takes almost a week for some others. Personally it takes me about 3 days usually. 2 days if I do alot of exercising of some kind.

As for how the body responds... the answer is still it depends. You'll basically just have to stick to it and observe your own body's reactions. My own body's reaction is that my bowel movements decrease to 2-3 per day, but they're usually larger in size when they do occur. Also, I tend to skip the "weak" feeling alot of people get, and my body does the opposite. Hell my workouts today were more explosive than they are when I'm not in ketosis. I do almost always get a mild headache before crossing into ketosis, but that's about all that happens.

Yes, some people's bodies do hold onto weight for a while (potentially to the point of even becoming constipated) before shifting. At the same time, some people make a smooth transition into ketosis with little outside of a mild headache (like I pointed out above).

"Mess ups" during ketosis depend on the severity. If you just eat a few carbs too many (10-20) your body may not change at all, you might stay in full ketosis. 50/day seems to be the normal "high" amount for people. Although some people claim to be able to eat up to 100 or so and maintain ketosis. At the same time, some people go 5 or 10 grams over their current keto amount and snap completely out of it.

Short answer: Do it, don't screw up, and monitor your body. And ah... go to the Keto forum.
    Last edited by Poetique; 10-14-2009 at 09:33 PM.
    Potential failure is a small price to pay for the potential of what you could gain if you try.