JohnnyJayBells has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Boot Camp and Gains

My university's Student Rec division offers an hour-long outdoor boot camp that usually consists of three roughly 20-minute long circuits - abs/cardio, kettlebells, and strength training (tire flips, deadlifts, ball throws, etc.). I usually work up a super-soaker sweat, drenching my shirt, but I'm not often gasping for breath.

My question is: will attending boot camp four times a week on top of resistance training kill my gains? It's not quite pure cardio, and I enjoy it because it's a fun, social form of conditioning. However, I wouldn't trade muscle mass for it.

I'm new to bodybuilding (about two months in) and I started attending boot just last week, so I can't really tell how it's affecting me. I haven't noticed a drop in energy levels or any associated soreness, but I'd like to quit while I'm ahead if it turns out that this is detrimental. Any advice is appreciated.

anonymous
    Originally Posted by JohnnyJayBells View Post
    My university's Student Rec division offers an hour-long outdoor boot camp that usually consists of three roughly 20-minute long circuits - abs/cardio, kettlebells, and strength training (tire flips, deadlifts, ball throws, etc.). I usually work up a super-soaker sweat, drenching my shirt, but I'm not often gasping for breath.

My question is: will attending boot camp four times a week on top of resistance training kill my gains? It's not quite pure cardio, and I enjoy it because it's a fun, social form of conditioning. However, I wouldn't trade muscle mass for it.

I'm new to bodybuilding (about two months in) and I started attending boot just last week, so I can't really tell how it's affecting me. I haven't noticed a drop in energy levels or any associated soreness, but I'd like to quit while I'm ahead if it turns out that this is detrimental. Any advice is appreciated.
    yes, bootcamp is going to kill your gains. 100% can confirm this. everyone ik who went to bootcamp who was big, got smaller afterwards. the only people ik who looked better after, were people who went in skinny as sheit and they're now like semi cut, as in they look like they workout if they're shirtless, but look small in clothes. no it isnt pure cardio but running 3 miles on a daily and not hitting your macros does not = gains. when my dad was in the marines, during desert storm, he packed on some size cus he was on an aircraft carrier but that's cus they werent running on a daily, just lifting, eating, doing their duties, and sleeping, but my dad didnt come back massive, he went from like 160 to 185 or 190 after his 4 or 6 years he was enlisted. don't enlist if you wanna keep your gains and make more gains, you'd do much better being a civilian and going to a gym

TheeFate will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheeFate will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheeFate will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheeFate will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheeFate will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheeFate will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheeFate will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheeFate will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheeFate will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheeFate will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheeFate will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Silverback1996 View Post
    yes, bootcamp is going to kill your gains.
    All I had to do was read this to know you're a moron.

OP, bootcamp will definitely not kill gains. As long as you stay in that surplus you will continue to gain muscle, you might however, have to account for the calories lost during bootcamp.

sk56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sk56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sk56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sk56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sk56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sk56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sk56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sk56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sk56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sk56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sk56 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    1. You're new to the sport and most newbies can lose fat and gain muscle, so you've got that going for you.

2. Stay in a caloric surplus.

3. Is there any reason you chose 4 days a week? I'm thinking starting at 1 or 2 and slowly increasing would give you a chance to observe more and adjust appropriately.

Tl;dr: play it smart and you'll keep your gains
    [ ] Cutting
    [X] Bulking

1RMs
    Bench - 300
    Squat - 370
    Deadlift 360

sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000)
    As long as you are eating enough then no it won't kill gains.
    yolo- you only lift once

Sumo Deadlift: 480 x1
    Back Squat: 450 x1
    Bench: 240 x1

JohnnyJayBells has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by sk56 View Post
    1. You're new to the sport and most newbies can lose fat and gain muscle, so you've got that going for you.

2. Stay in a caloric surplus.

3. Is there any reason you chose 4 days a week? I'm thinking starting at 1 or 2 and slowly increasing would give you a chance to observe more and adjust appropriately.

Tl;dr: play it smart and you'll keep your gains
    It's offered 4 days a week and I currently attend every session, but I may cut back. Then again, if I can just eat through the caloric expenditure, then I don't see a reason to cut back. Since I despise most cardio machines, I figure this is a good (read enjoyable) way to keep up my aerobic capacity.

Thanks for the reassurance, I'll be sure to maintain a caloric surplus.