SteveM70 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SteveM70 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SteveM70 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SteveM70 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SteveM70 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SteveM70 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SteveM70 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SteveM70 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SteveM70 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SteveM70 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SteveM70 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Problem with 5x5, shoulder pain...

I am on week 4 of my second run of Madcows 5x5 and am starting to have the same problem I had on my first go round a few months ago.

My shoulders hurt when I overhead press or incline bench to the point I can not overhead press without pain and can't bring the bar anywhere near my chest on incline bench.

If I keep running the program as it is written this pain will likely transfer over to my flat bench as it did the first time I ran it.

This is of particular concern to me since my bench already lags behind many of my other lifts.

I believe I could handle 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps on the incline bench without shoulder pain. Should I try this or drop the inclines all together for something else?

flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I personally am on hold right now from ALL pressing movements. My right shoulder is really hurting me. I am starting my second week off from presses and I am still hurting. I do RC exercises and ice every night.

With that said...If I were you I would lay off for a bit and do the RC strengthining movements and ice to see if that helps.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by SteveM70 View Post
    I believe I could handle 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps on the incline bench without shoulder pain. Should I try this or drop the inclines all together for something else?
    Stop doing anything that causes pain, until you find out what the problem is. Attempting to work through joint pain is a bad idea.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I did the same as you, switched to flat bench. My grip was pretty wide so i narrowed it a few inches and it helped quite a bit.

Also check your grip width on your military press. I moved mine in some and it felt better. i now grip right at the knurling instead of a few inches into it.

Keep in mind its your workout. Of course its best to stay right down the line with it but if you want to do a different exercise then just put it in and do the math and you can make the same progression.

I am currently doing a 5 x 5 with olympic lifting that includeds front squats, push press, deadlifts, clean and jerks and bench.

I am using the same math but with different exercises. Its same concept and that is to get stronger.
    "To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other."-- Carlos Castaneda

SteveM70 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SteveM70 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SteveM70 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SteveM70 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SteveM70 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SteveM70 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SteveM70 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SteveM70 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SteveM70 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SteveM70 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SteveM70 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for the replies.

Ironwill, while you are on the top of my list of people whose opinion I respect I have already came to the conclusion that I should stop going heavy on inclines do to the shoulder pain, just not sure if I should lighten the load or replace them all together.

I can do 3 sets of 8 to 10 on incline without shoulder pain but still, I believe that the inclines on Wed. may be hurting my bench strength. Just to much benching for me with flat bench on Mon. and Fri.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    I understand your concern for trying to stay with your program as written; in fact this is something I constantly preach. But your shoulder health must take priority.
    Do whatever you have to do, in order to train pain-free. If that means dropping a prescribed exercise, then so be it.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Hmmm....a shot from the hip here.

IMO from some experience if one's flat bench form/grip is not right one could be incorprating the shoulders unwittingly creating some uncalculated stress on shoulders.
    Then (hypothetically) if one does shoulders after flat bench (or vice/versa) that could exaserbate the discomfort in shoulder muscles.

Secondly, do you know if the injury area is a *tightness* or an *infammation*?
    This would lead to differnet treatment.

Hope that makes some sense and sorry in advance if I missed similar comments or I'm overthinking this.

Later....
    USMC: 1965-1969
    Original music:
    https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?bandID=897733
    https://soundcloud.com/chulaivet1966
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/chulaivet/videos

Just an old guy trying to keep up his rhythm chops.
    "One persons perception of good music can be another persons definition of noise"

66mark is on a distinguished road. (+10) 66mark is on a distinguished road. (+10) 66mark is on a distinguished road. (+10) 66mark is on a distinguished road. (+10) 66mark is on a distinguished road. (+10) 66mark is on a distinguished road. (+10) 66mark is on a distinguished road. (+10) 66mark is on a distinguished road. (+10) 66mark is on a distinguished road. (+10) 66mark is on a distinguished road. (+10) 66mark is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The more I read about 40+ fitness, the more I hear "stop BB bench pressing and overhead presssing". This is the one thing that stands out from all the books I have read about mature male weight training. Try switching to D.B.'s or machines AFTER THE PAIN HAS GONE AWAY. I know this is hard to do, the bench has been a staple in everyones routine since day one. It took me awhile to learn this lesson but me and my shoulders are much better now.

PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by 66mark View Post
    The more I read about 40+ fitness, the more I hear "stop BB bench pressing and overhead pressing"...
    He is doing flat bench twice per week, and inclines between those 2 workouts (see his 2nd post). That is an insane amount of work in a week if all three are max effort sessions (and I say "insane" with all due respect to anyone who can make it through that with healthy joints... not everyone can).

At 40+, most people have to allow a little more time for recovery, especially if you are doing short set workouts for strength. Chest once and shoulders once per week is enough for most people, especially since your strength simply will not increase faster, just because you hit the same muscle group more often. At least not most people, and not w/o some chemical enhancement.

There are issues with using machines only, or eliminating overhead presses completely. Stabilizer muscles start to lag, and the big muscles get too used to being locked in one position, which is not so great for overall fitness (or joint health), either.

SV1000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SV1000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SV1000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SV1000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SV1000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SV1000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SV1000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SV1000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SV1000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SV1000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SV1000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Shoulder pain is my nemesis...I have completely stopped training while on PSMF (31 days so far) hoping the time off would help my shoulder heal and then my right shoulder started hurting like hell, especially at night. I have a thread in the training section with some good information from dbx.
    12/23/08 - 279
    12/31/09 - 243
    01/13/10 - 250

Yeah, that's a real gun in that gun rack...No, I don't have a permit for it
    Do you have a permit to ask stupid questions like that...Trace Atkins

Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by PeteB View Post
    He is doing flat bench twice per week, and inclines between those 2 workouts (see his 2nd post). That is an insane amount of work in a week if all three are max effort sessions (and I say "insane" with all due respect to anyone who can make it through that with healthy joints... not everyone can).

At 40+, most people have to allow a little more time for recovery, especially if you are doing short set workouts for strength. Chest once and shoulders once per week is enough for most people, especially since your strength simply will not increase faster, just because you hit the same muscle group more often. At least not most people, and not w/o some chemical enhancement.

There are issues with using machines only, or eliminating overhead presses completely. Stabilizer muscles start to lag, and the big muscles get too used to being locked in one position, which is not so great for overall fitness (or joint health), either.
    Back off of all pressing for at least a week maybe two. Start doing some rotator movements during this time. Work back slowly and don't do more than 2 days a week of pressing movements. Unless I'm doing HST which is low in reps I don't do more than 2 days a week of pressing and I ALWAYS have at least 2 full days rest between. (unless I'm doing HST)

Ice your shoulder for 20 minutes at least once a day (2 or 3 times would be better) and always ice immediately after a training session.

Good Luck, oh and start taking fish oil too.
    Was friends with Methuselah

Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Never hurts to see a physician.

Well, other than financially.

egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Due to two rotator cuff injuries, I no longer do any flat bench presses or barbell presses. I use the Smith Machine in my 5x5s. This takes a great deal of stress off the joints and works just fine.
    "People listen to rich folks. People they pray for poor folks"- John Thompson, long time head basketball coach at Georgetown University.

Passion doesn't pay the bills. G4P does.