Thread: Bowflex

316heath has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 316heath has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 316heath has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 316heath has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 316heath has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 316heath has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 316heath has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Bowflex

What do think of the Bowflex? Do you think the weight is the same as free weights?
    or close even.

I have one and I like using it because I don't have time to go the gym anymore.
    But... it's about 4 years old and I'm not sure if the bows have worn out or not.

Still get a great workout though...

steelmover is on a distinguished road. (+10) steelmover is on a distinguished road. (+10) steelmover is on a distinguished road. (+10) steelmover is on a distinguished road. (+10) steelmover is on a distinguished road. (+10) steelmover is on a distinguished road. (+10) steelmover is on a distinguished road. (+10) steelmover is on a distinguished road. (+10) steelmover is on a distinguished road. (+10) steelmover is on a distinguished road. (+10) steelmover is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Cool

no its not even respectful to compare the blowflex to the iron. 300lbs on a blowflex is about 135 on a real barbell move of any kind.
    My wife doesn't understand my need to misc.

lift4today will become famous soon enough. (+50) lift4today will become famous soon enough. (+50) lift4today will become famous soon enough. (+50) lift4today will become famous soon enough. (+50) lift4today will become famous soon enough. (+50) lift4today will become famous soon enough. (+50) lift4today will become famous soon enough. (+50) lift4today will become famous soon enough. (+50) lift4today will become famous soon enough. (+50) lift4today will become famous soon enough. (+50) lift4today will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If your goal is to have a trim lean look, then the bowflex is ok...you won't build significant mass with one though

lol 'blowflex'

316heath has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 316heath has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 316heath has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 316heath has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 316heath has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 316heath has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 316heath has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    What would you suggest to get for home then? Because I have 3 kids and really don't have time to go to the gym. I also don't have much room either....

maybe in time I can go back, but for now I gotta workout at home.

VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz
    Try a Powertec leverage gym.

☠ By reading this post, you have agreed to my negative reputation terms of service.

Original Neanderthal theapexxxx's Avatar
    theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'd rather save money and get a gym pass.
    Lets see..... Bowflex offers 50 workouts.....(if that)

Dumbells, barbells, benches, machines, cardio equipment, bands, chains, racks, cable machines, jump ropes, bosu balls, balance boards, steps, boxes offers 100's of workouts.

Gym sounds like a better idea to me.

woah! that looks awesome. I wonder if it's as good a free weights..
    I could fit that into my section of the basement(when you're married, you section of the house is always smaller than the woman's)

Cool.. I'm gonna look into that.

VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by 316heath View Post
    I could fit that into my section of the basement(when you're married, you section of the house is always smaller than the woman's)

I started my home gym with the Powertec to supplement days when I couldn't get to the gym. I have been very happy with it, and since it uses olympic plates, my investment in weights paid off when we added a squat rack, etc.

It's a very good compromise. Powertec makes good equipment.
    ☠ By reading this post, you have agreed to my negative reputation terms of service.

fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I'll probably buy a used one some day to have a 'cable' area. Otherwise, I'll build my home gym around my power cage.
    Me Squatting 405X5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tirPD1kKkuQ

This link might save your life.
    http://www.superhumanradio.com/rss/2009/SHR_Show_388.mp3

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    My opinion of the bowflex (no "hate," just facts + common sense):

They're way overpriced. If you use Nautilus' financing, even more so.

Marginal quality. They've had many, many recalls, forced on them by the FTC due to defects in manufacturing. (Google "bowflex recall")

Limited exercise choices.

No way to deadlift.

No way to work your legs ( leg extensions don't count; they're a warmup for a real leg workout). I won't even go into "squats" on a bowflex.

Varying resistance, due to the way the "power rods" bend--easy at first, then progressively harder; not at all like real weight.

"Power rods" losing tension over time.

Limited range of motion.

Some common sense:

If the bowflex were any good, commercial gyms would be full of them. They're not, and they aren't.

An in-depth evaluation of the bowflex, in the "equipment " forum:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=113098691
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

RLara85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RLara85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RLara85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RLara85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RLara85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RLara85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RLara85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RLara85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RLara85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RLara85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RLara85 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by 316heath View Post

Leverage systems are definitely legitimate. However, the squats on that small powertec unit are a joke. I would suggest getting their squat/calf unit along with their leverage press bench... won't take up much more room and now you have FID bench, a shoulder press, a squat machine that can handle 700lbs (i have one, i know), and a great calf machine. You can also do shrugs, stiff legged deadlifts, rows and even drag curls using the squat machine. Throw in some dumbells and a bar and now you've got a full gym in a small room.

Bowflex is worthless, it is not even close to being real resistance and there are so many things wrong with it it's not even worth getting into. You could get the same results from a $40 dollar dumbell set at wal-mart.