Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

    The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 42
  1. #1
    Registered User Admired's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2009
    Location: New York, United States
    Age: 23
    Stats: 5'9", 175 lbs
    Posts: 780
    Rep Power: 0
    Admired is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Admired is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Admired is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Admired is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Admired is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Admired is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Admired is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Admired is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Admired is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Admired is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Admired is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Visit Admired's BodySpace
    Admired is offline

    How to preserve muscle when doing cardio

    I do about 2-3 cardio days during the week which generally consists of a fast paced 3-5 mile run. I try to keep a pace that I can barely hold for the duration of the run. I sometimes do little 1-1.5 minute semi-sprint intervals and then rest for a bit. My question is how do I make sure when im doing these cardio efforts that I am losing fat and not losing precious muscle. Should I drink a protein shake before i go?
    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    Amateur Strongman dbluegoat's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2008
    Age: 39
    Stats: 5'11", 301 lbs
    Posts: 2,255
    Rep Power: 496
    dbluegoat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbluegoat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbluegoat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbluegoat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbluegoat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbluegoat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbluegoat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbluegoat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbluegoat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbluegoat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbluegoat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit dbluegoat's BodySpace
    dbluegoat is offline
    lift weights
    Amateur Strongman

    12" Log C&P 260
    Military/OHP 305
    Incline Bench 325
    Deadlift 565
    Rack Pulls 680
    -----------------------------------
    Proud Member of the 100lbs of fat loss club - 113 down
    -----------------------------------
    John Broz The Bulgarian method:
    Train til you can't walk, eat, sleep, repeat.
    The day will never come when you can't lift the bar
    If you wait til you feel good with no aches or pains to train, you will never be there
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Registered User foxbody351w's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2009
    Location: Ohio, United States
    Age: 27
    Stats: 5'3", 149 lbs
    Posts: 441
    Rep Power: 244
    foxbody351w has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) foxbody351w has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) foxbody351w has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) foxbody351w has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) foxbody351w has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) foxbody351w has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) foxbody351w has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) foxbody351w has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) foxbody351w has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) foxbody351w has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) foxbody351w has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit foxbody351w's BodySpace
    foxbody351w is offline
    assuming you are lifting weights as well as doing cardio...HIIT cardio is best for fat loss and muscle retention, BCAA's and l-glutamine before and after your sessions can help, also there are many intra workout related supplements to drink while doing cardio(i.e. Glutamine Select by Beverly International)
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    Registered User Admired's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2009
    Location: New York, United States
    Age: 23
    Stats: 5'9", 175 lbs
    Posts: 780
    Rep Power: 0
    Admired is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Admired is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Admired is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Admired is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Admired is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Admired is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Admired is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Admired is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Admired is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Admired is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Admired is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Visit Admired's BodySpace
    Admired is offline
    Originally Posted by foxbody351w View Post
    assuming you are lifting weights as well as doing cardio...HIIT cardio is best for fat loss and muscle retention, BCAA's and l-glutamine before and after your sessions can help, also there are many intra workout related supplements to drink while doing cardio(i.e. Glutamine Select by Beverly International)
    Yes, i forgot to mention, i hit the weights hard 4-6 times a week. I dont wanna buy thoose products, will syntha 6 do the trick?
    Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    Mother Pho Ga phal's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2008
    Location: New Hampshire, United States
    Age: 26
    Stats: 5'10", 162 lbs
    Posts: 9,462
    Rep Power: 15227
    phal has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) phal has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) phal has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) phal has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) phal has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) phal has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) phal has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) phal has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) phal has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) phal has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) phal has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit phal's BodySpace
    phal is offline
    If you're worried about losing muscle mass due to cardio, you could just cut back calories and (continue) to lift heavy while removing cardio all together.

    Unless you enjoy it/want the cardiovascular (heart) benefits then by all means keep it up.
    Life without sarcasm would be a dull and way too nice place to be.

    Trance

    http://soundcloud.com/phalsama/

    Sheiko? My journey to 1,400+ @ 165

    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=130564103

    Keep On Getting Strong

    Best Gym Lifts

    B: 225x16 S: 315x17 D: 500x10/600x1
    Reply With Quote

  6. #6
    in a world built on rules iDrive's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2009
    Location: United States
    Age: 26
    Stats: 6'1", 215 lbs
    Posts: 2,787
    Rep Power: 3613
    iDrive has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) iDrive has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) iDrive has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) iDrive has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) iDrive has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) iDrive has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) iDrive has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) iDrive has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) iDrive has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) iDrive has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) iDrive has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit iDrive's BodySpace
    iDrive is offline
    Duct Tape.

    You don't try to build a wall.
    You don't set out to build a wall.
    You don't say, "I'm going to build the biggest, baddest, greatest wall that's ever been built!".
    You don't start there.

    You say, "I'm going to lay this brick as perfectly as a brick can be laid.".
    You do that every single day, and soon you'll have a wall.
    Reply With Quote

  7. #7
    Registered User Admired's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2009
    Location: New York, United States
    Age: 23
    Stats: 5'9", 175 lbs
    Posts: 780
    Rep Power: 0
    Admired is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Admired is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Admired is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Admired is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Admired is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Admired is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Admired is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Admired is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Admired is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Admired is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Admired is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Visit Admired's BodySpace
    Admired is offline
    Originally Posted by phal View Post
    If you're worried about losing muscle mass due to cardio, you could just cut back calories and (continue) to lift heavy while removing cardio all together.

    Unless you enjoy it/want the cardiovascular (heart) benefits then by all means keep it up.

    If u dont eat enough though, then you wont gain any muscle. You see im trying to gain muscle during the week, i hit the weights hard mon-fri with maybe a rest day , then the weekend I do cardio to burn off any fat i accumulated during the week. I have been eating a clean diet consisting of mainly protein, some complex carbs and veggies.
    Reply With Quote

  8. #8
    Registered User Dawnbringer's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2009
    Location: Ontario, California, United States
    Age: 29
    Stats: 6'2", 256 lbs
    Posts: 51
    Rep Power: 0
    Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Visit Dawnbringer's BodySpace
    Dawnbringer is offline
    No intentions of offending anybody, but its common knolwege that heart rate monitoring is the best way to retain muscle mass. Keeping a steady heart rate for your age/weight at the right BPM will help to increase burning fat, and retain your muscle weight. Check google to find your target heart rate. Using a treadmill with a HRM (heart rate monitor) will help to ensure that you are only burning fat, and not dipping into muscle stores. This is why runners are so shreded/lean/small. The heart rate goes to high, you are breaking the barriers of how much fat you can use for energy and begin to dip into your muscle...They have heart rate montiors in many forms, check ebay for the cheapest price.

    Believe it or not, slow paced cardio is better for fat loss...HIT training works very good as well, but you are going to want to do this in the morning because its very good for starting your metabolism out on the right foot. If you are going to do this, I recommend eating something with sugar for breakfast to start your insulin levels out on the right track, and not eating very much more after the first few meals to detour an insulin spike with a high motabolism >=). Hope that all helps?
    Last edited by Dawnbringer; 10-08-2009 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Moreover
    Reply With Quote

  9. #9
    Registered User snorkelman's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2007
    Location: Florida, United States
    Age: 41
    Stats: 5'9", 200 lbs
    Posts: 20,452
    BodyPoints: 417
    Rep Power: 68473
    snorkelman has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) snorkelman has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) snorkelman has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) snorkelman has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) snorkelman has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) snorkelman has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) snorkelman has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) snorkelman has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) snorkelman has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) snorkelman has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) snorkelman has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit snorkelman's BodySpace
    snorkelman is offline
    OP, make sure you are getting adequate protein during the day. That is key. The next factor to maximize your chances of not losing muscle are to make sure that you do not perform FASTED HIIT...at the very least have BCAA before.
    Reply With Quote

  10. #10
    Registered User Dawnbringer's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2009
    Location: Ontario, California, United States
    Age: 29
    Stats: 6'2", 256 lbs
    Posts: 51
    Rep Power: 0
    Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Visit Dawnbringer's BodySpace
    Dawnbringer is offline
    I've always thought that BCAA's were used in building solid muscle mass, does it really help to maintain size during cardio? Where is the proof? Not sparking an argument, just trying to learn something new >=). I'd love to see an article of somesort support this theory, so that maybe I can apply this to myself as well!
    Reply With Quote

  11. #11
    Banned signature166's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2007
    Age: 85
    Stats: 5'4", 1000 lbs
    Posts: 2,110
    BodyPoints: 9
    Rep Power: 0
    signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit signature166's BodySpace
    signature166 is offline
    Originally Posted by Dawnbringer View Post
    No intentions of offending anybody
    More amused than offended. Carry on.

    Originally Posted by Dawnbringer View Post
    but its common knolwege
    Common knowledge is often wrong.

    Originally Posted by Dawnbringer View Post
    that heart rate monitoring is the best way to retain muscle mass.
    Lol wut? Eating adequate protein and lifting heavy weight ftw!

    Originally Posted by Dawnbringer View Post
    Keeping a steady heart rate for your age/weight at the right BPM will help to increase burning fat, and retain your muscle weight. Check google to find your target heart rate. Using a treadmill with a HRM (heart rate monitor) will help to ensure that you are only burning fat, and not dipping into muscle stores.
    Keep bringin the lulz.

    Originally Posted by Dawnbringer View Post
    This is why runners are so shreded/lean/small. The heart rate goes to high, you are breaking the barriers of how much fat you can use for energy and begin to dip into your muscle...
    runners are so shredded/lean/small from a combination of genetics, eating at/below maintenance, running all over the place, and from not wanting to be bigger because its detrimental to their performance.

    Originally Posted by Dawnbringer View Post
    Believe it or not, slow paced cardio is better for fat loss...HIT training works very good as well, but you are going to want to do this in the morning because its very good for starting your metabolism out on the right foot.
    Ok, I'm with you so far...

    Originally Posted by Dawnbringer View Post
    If you are going to do this, I recommend eating something with sugar for breakfast to start your insulin levels out on the right track, and not eating very much more after the first few meals to detour an insulin spike with a high motabolism >=). Hope that all helps?
    WTF?
    Reply With Quote

  12. #12
    Banned signature166's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2007
    Age: 85
    Stats: 5'4", 1000 lbs
    Posts: 2,110
    BodyPoints: 9
    Rep Power: 0
    signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit signature166's BodySpace
    signature166 is offline
    Originally Posted by Dawnbringer View Post
    I've always thought that BCAA's were used in building solid muscle mass, does it really help to maintain size during cardio? Where is the proof? Not sparking an argument, just trying to learn something new >=). I'd love to see an article of somesort support this theory, so that maybe I can apply this to myself as well!
    whey is 35% bcaa and its much cheaper.
    Reply With Quote

  13. #13
    Banned rhizome's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2008
    Posts: 7,038
    Rep Power: 0
    rhizome has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) rhizome has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) rhizome has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) rhizome has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) rhizome has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) rhizome has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) rhizome has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) rhizome has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) rhizome has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) rhizome has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) rhizome has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    rhizome is offline
    Originally Posted by Dawnbringer View Post
    No intentions of offending anybody, but its common knolwege that heart rate monitoring is the best way to retain muscle mass. Keeping a steady heart rate for your age/weight at the right BPM will help to increase burning fat, and retain your muscle weight. Check google to find your target heart rate. Using a treadmill with a HRM (heart rate monitor) will help to ensure that you are only burning fat, and not dipping into muscle stores. This is why runners are so shreded/lean/small. The heart rate goes to high, you are breaking the barriers of how much fat you can use for energy and begin to dip into your muscle...They have heart rate montiors in many forms, check ebay for the cheapest price.

    Believe it or not, slow paced cardio is better for fat loss...HIT training works very good as well, but you are going to want to do this in the morning because its very good for starting your metabolism out on the right foot. If you are going to do this, I recommend eating something with sugar for breakfast to start your insulin levels out on the right track, and not eating very much more after the first few meals to detour an insulin spike with a high motabolism >=). Hope that all helps?
    You're a moron thinking your little sissy LISS-ie is just burning fat. YOU USE FAT AND CARBS PINHEAD!

    And you are a moron thinking you will burn ur mussle with a higher HR. NO YOU WON'T PINHEAD!

    Cliffs: You're a moron and a pinhead.
    Reply With Quote

  14. #14
    One pec, you mad? FunAndSun's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2009
    Location: Austin, Texas, United States
    Stats: 5'10", 220 lbs
    Posts: 10,050
    Rep Power: 5468
    FunAndSun has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) FunAndSun has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) FunAndSun has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) FunAndSun has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) FunAndSun has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) FunAndSun has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) FunAndSun has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) FunAndSun has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) FunAndSun has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) FunAndSun has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) FunAndSun has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit FunAndSun's BodySpace
    FunAndSun is offline
    Yea, this kid's recent posts have been bringing me lulz too.
    --- 512 Austin TX crew --- fockin chocolate
    *Lone Star Crew*
    º■■■Misc Masculism Crew■■■º
    MISC STRENGTH CREW

    Misc is full of phaggots and haters. They can never achieve anything for themselves, so they must continually put down those who do.
    Reply With Quote

  15. #15
    Banned signature166's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2007
    Age: 85
    Stats: 5'4", 1000 lbs
    Posts: 2,110
    BodyPoints: 9
    Rep Power: 0
    signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit signature166's BodySpace
    signature166 is offline
    Originally Posted by rhizome View Post
    You're a moron thinking your little sissy LISS-ie is just burning fat. YOU USE FAT AND CARBS PINHEAD!

    And you are a moron thinking you will burn ur mussle with a higher HR. NO YOU WON'T PINHEAD!

    Cliffs: You're a moron and a pinhead.
    the more cardio you do and the more your body adapts to it, the more fat you burn
    Reply With Quote

  16. #16
    Banned rhizome's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2008
    Posts: 7,038
    Rep Power: 0
    rhizome has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) rhizome has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) rhizome has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) rhizome has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) rhizome has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) rhizome has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) rhizome has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) rhizome has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) rhizome has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) rhizome has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) rhizome has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    rhizome is offline
    Originally Posted by signature166 View Post
    the more cardio you do and the more your body adapts to it, the more fat you burn
    100% like people think? Fawk no.
    Reply With Quote

  17. #17
    Registered User Reman's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2009
    Age: 24
    Posts: 300
    Rep Power: 22
    Reman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Reman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Reman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Reman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Reman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Reman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Reman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Reman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Reman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Reman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Reman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Reman is offline
    Dawnbringer: http://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/Ab...n_Amino.8.aspx

    and

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9...ubmed_RVDocSum

    But still they ain't magic. Usually when wrestlers diet they really diet hard. They likely didn't get as much protein as bodybuilders do with their diets. So BCAAs on top of bodybuilders protein intake may not bring any additional effects. At least science doesn't support it.
    Reply With Quote

  18. #18
    Banned signature166's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2007
    Age: 85
    Stats: 5'4", 1000 lbs
    Posts: 2,110
    BodyPoints: 9
    Rep Power: 0
    signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit signature166's BodySpace
    signature166 is offline
    Originally Posted by rhizome View Post
    100% like people think? Fawk no.
    1. i never said it was a 100%.

    2. most people are idiots and think idiotic things.
    Reply With Quote

  19. #19
    Registered User Dawnbringer's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2009
    Location: Ontario, California, United States
    Age: 29
    Stats: 6'2", 256 lbs
    Posts: 51
    Rep Power: 0
    Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Visit Dawnbringer's BodySpace
    Dawnbringer is offline
    Originally Posted by signature166 View Post


    Common knowledge is often wrong.
    Yeah, I guess ronnie and jay don't know what they are talking about either right?

    Originally Posted by signature166 View Post
    Lol wut? Eating adequate protein and lifting heavy weight ftw!
    Yeah I do agree that is the best way to "BUILD MUSCLE" what the **** does this have to do with preserving muscle during cardio? Going a bit off top here...I am a meat head and love slamming weights, hating cardio is written in my DNA. Where is the proof that this is a false statement. I can show you about 10,000 articles proving it to be correct. As well as some videos of body buildings most elite doing this kind of training as well...


    Originally Posted by signature166 View Post
    runners are so shredded/lean/small from a combination of genetics, eating at/below maintenance, running all over the place, and from not wanting to be bigger because its detrimental to their performance.
    Yeah I am sure thats what it is...Running for more than an hour a day, with an extremely high heart rate has nothing to do with this...Thats why every cardio machine in the gym has a "Cardiovascular" target HR, and a "Fat Loss" target heart rate. Because they make machines that are designed to cheat you out of gains...HAHA. If a runner wanted to be big and still do their thing, it would be a waste of time.

    Originally Posted by signature166 View Post
    WTF?
    I understand you are confused its ok...
    Reply With Quote

  20. #20
    Banned signature166's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2007
    Age: 85
    Stats: 5'4", 1000 lbs
    Posts: 2,110
    BodyPoints: 9
    Rep Power: 0
    signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit signature166's BodySpace
    signature166 is offline
    Originally Posted by Dawnbringer View Post
    Yeah, I guess ronnie and jay don't know what they are talking about either right?
    those guys are on a pharmacological all-you-can-inject-eat-or-rub-on buffet. gear changes everything.

    Originally Posted by Dawnbringer View Post
    Yeah I do agree that is the best way to "BUILD MUSCLE" what the **** does this have to do with preserving muscle during cardio?
    Seriously?? LMAO!


    Originally Posted by Dawnbringer View Post
    Yeah I am sure thats what it is...Running for more than an hour a day, with an extremely high heart rate has nothing to do with this...Thats why every cardio machine in the gym has a "Cardiovascular" target HR, and a "Fat Loss" target heart rate.
    Who gives a flying f*ck what the cardio machines at the gym have on them?


    Originally Posted by Dawnbringer View Post
    I understand you are confused its ok...
    who's a troll? who's a troll? [set to the tune of the luda song]
    Reply With Quote

  21. #21
    Registered User Dawnbringer's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2009
    Location: Ontario, California, United States
    Age: 29
    Stats: 6'2", 256 lbs
    Posts: 51
    Rep Power: 0
    Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Visit Dawnbringer's BodySpace
    Dawnbringer is offline
    Originally Posted by Reman View Post
    Dawnbringer: http://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/Ab...n_Amino.8.aspx

    and

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9...ubmed_RVDocSum

    But still they ain't magic. Usually when wrestlers diet they really diet hard. They likely didn't get as much protein as bodybuilders do with their diets. So BCAAs on top of bodybuilders protein intake may not bring any additional effects. At least science doesn't support it.
    Nice read, gotta look into it now, you've sparked my interest! Would love to learn more about free fatty acids and get a better understanding of how amino acids work >=).

    I do agree that whey is cheaper, and I have realized that it has about the same ammount of bcaa as my glutamine powerder and bcaa's. but I try not to ingest protien for the gym 45 before or after, just my practices regardless of if its right or wrong. Find it easier to drop pills of bcaa right before, to decrease bloated feeling, and also to put some glutamine powder in my water bottle directly after >=). Hate tryin to do squats and getting the ****s mid workout x.x;;. There is no way I am the only one who has been victimized by the bubble guts interupting sets
    Reply With Quote

  22. #22
    Banned signature166's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2007
    Age: 85
    Stats: 5'4", 1000 lbs
    Posts: 2,110
    BodyPoints: 9
    Rep Power: 0
    signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit signature166's BodySpace
    signature166 is offline
    Originally Posted by Dawnbringer View Post
    Nice read, gotta look into it now, you've sparked my interest! Would love to learn more about free fatty acids and get a better understanding of how amino acids work >=).

    I do agree that whey is cheaper, and I have realized that it has about the same ammount of bcaa as my glutamine powerder and bcaa's. but I try not to ingest protien for the gym 45 before or after, just my practices regardless of if its right or wrong. Find it easier to drop pills of bcaa right before, to decrease bloated feeling, and also to put some glutamine powder in my water bottle directly after >=). Hate tryin to do squats and getting the ****s mid workout x.x;;. There is no way I am the only one who has been victimized by the bubble guts interupting sets
    hook, line, and sinker
    Reply With Quote

  23. #23
    Registered User Dawnbringer's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2009
    Location: Ontario, California, United States
    Age: 29
    Stats: 6'2", 256 lbs
    Posts: 51
    Rep Power: 0
    Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Visit Dawnbringer's BodySpace
    Dawnbringer is offline

    Thumbs down

    Originally Posted by signature166 View Post
    those guys are on a pharmacological all-you-can-inject-eat-or-rub-on buffet. gear changes everything.
    Doesn't change the fact that they know their ****.

    Originally Posted by signature166 View Post
    Seriously?? LMAO!
    Assuming this guy cares enough about keeping muscle, i'd love to assume he knows the how to build and maintain muscle outside of CARDIO...which I believe is what he asked advice about lol. Not sure how lifting weights while running will help this...

    Originally Posted by signature166 View Post
    Who gives a flying f*ck what the cardio machines at the gym have on them?
    It was an example but its right. I would love to see some proof backing up that I am wrong about my "basic knowlege". I would love to be proven wrong, because if I am, I can make sure to do it the RIGHT WAY. No problem with laying down my swords upon facts and true statements, rather than flamming, bullheaded opinions. In my experience there is something that I have learned over time, and that is that we are ALL right and we ALL know EVERYTHING about fitness. The only thing matters is the facts my friend, and where are these FACTS. Or should I just start running my ass off, lose my muscle? After all its not your body that will suffer..and you are just some deuche bag knockin my ****, without any foundation or facts to back it. Love to learn, and if that means hitting a brick wall and feeling stupid that is fine. In the end I will know what you know and be no less of a man than you. So please give me some insight smart guy, and enlighten me with your genius! Pick on me with something real, rather than picking out my typos and being a prick by going of topic.

    For not getting offended you sure spent a lot of time bashing my statemets with no real grounds or evidence for doing so.
    Reply With Quote

  24. #24
    Banned signature166's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2007
    Age: 85
    Stats: 5'4", 1000 lbs
    Posts: 2,110
    BodyPoints: 9
    Rep Power: 0
    signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit signature166's BodySpace
    signature166 is offline
    Originally Posted by Dawnbringer View Post
    Doesn't change the fact that they know their ****.


    Assuming this guy cares enough about keeping muscle, i'd love to assume he knows the how to build and maintain muscle outside of CARDIO...which I believe is what he asked advice about lol. Not sure how lifting weights while running will help this...

    It was an example but its right. I would love to see some proof backing up that I am wrong about my "basic knowlege". I would love to be proven wrong, because if I am, I can make sure to do it the RIGHT WAY. No problem with laying down my swords upon facts and true statements, rather than flamming, bullheaded opinions. In my experience there is something that I have learned over time, and that is that we are ALL right and we ALL know EVERYTHING about fitness. The only thing matters is the facts my friend, and where are these FACTS. Or should I just start running my ass off, lose my muscle? After all its not your body that will suffer..and you are just some deuche bag knockin my ****, without any foundation or facts to back it. Love to learn, and if that means hitting a brick wall and feeling stupid that is fine. In the end I will know what you know and be no less of a man than you. So please give me some insight smart guy, and enlighten me with your genius! Pick on me with something real, rather than picking out my typos and being a prick by going of topic.

    For not getting offended you sure spent a lot of time bashing my statemets with no real grounds or evidence for doing so.
    blah blah blah blah blah...i've decided that i'm not providing any facts or studies from now on. only opinions, just like 99% of posters on bb.com

    if you want to prove me wrong, then bring on the facts. yeah buddy!
    Reply With Quote

  25. #25
    Registered User Dawnbringer's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2009
    Location: Ontario, California, United States
    Age: 29
    Stats: 6'2", 256 lbs
    Posts: 51
    Rep Power: 0
    Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Visit Dawnbringer's BodySpace
    Dawnbringer is offline
    Originally Posted by signature166 View Post
    blah blah blah blah blah...i've decided that i'm not providing any facts or studies from now on. only opinions, just like 99% of posters on bb.com

    if you want to prove me wrong, then bring on the facts. yeah buddy!
    Basically you are just posting 100% bull**** then. Why even waste your time? Just like your profile...alll bul**** >=/ thanks for wasting my time bro. Guess we are all entitled to our opinion. So please let me have mine next time you decide to interfear with my help for no good reason. THANKS!
    Reply With Quote

  26. #26
    Registered User j-rego's Avatar
    Join Date: May 2009
    Location: Peoria, Arizona, United States
    Age: 47
    Stats: 5'8", 180 lbs
    Posts: 24
    Rep Power: 0
    j-rego is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit j-rego's BodySpace
    j-rego is offline

    jeez a million answers!

    Originally Posted by Admired View Post
    I do about 2-3 cardio days during the week which generally consists of a fast paced 3-5 mile run. I try to keep a pace that I can barely hold for the duration of the run. I sometimes do little 1-1.5 minute semi-sprint intervals and then rest for a bit. My question is how do I make sure when im doing these cardio efforts that I am losing fat and not losing precious muscle. Should I drink a protein shake before i go?
    Do cardio in the morning on an empty stomach! Do cardio low and slow if your trying to loose fat and not muscle. Hit the stair climber or treadmill at full incline and speed at 2.5 to 2.9. Your body will burn the energy from your full stomach first, then fat, and then start burning muscle. So the slower you go, the longer you'll be burning fat! Eat or take you protein shake when you get home. Just my 2 cents
    Reply With Quote

  27. #27
    nevigsawkufelgnisaton in10city's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2005
    Location: New York, United States
    Posts: 24,703
    BodyPoints: 7900
    Rep Power: 33878
    in10city has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) in10city has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) in10city has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) in10city has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) in10city has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) in10city has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) in10city has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) in10city has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) in10city has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) in10city has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) in10city has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit in10city's BodySpace
    in10city is offline
    Originally Posted by j-rego View Post
    Do cardio in the morning on an empty stomach! Do cardio low and slow if your trying to loose fat and not muscle. Hit the stair climber or treadmill at full incline and speed at 2.5 to 2.9. Your body will burn the energy from your full stomach first, then fat, and then start burning muscle. So the slower you go, the longer you'll be burning fat! Eat or take you protein shake when you get home. Just my 2 cents
    Wrong. Even after horsing down 80 grams of oatmeal, guess what? You still will burn fat.

    Your knowledge of substrate utilization is horrible.

    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Reply With Quote

  28. #28
    Slowly getting bigger!! dkemano42's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2008
    Location: Spokane, Washington, United States
    Age: 48
    Stats: 6'2", 197 lbs
    Posts: 2,049
    Rep Power: 1760
    dkemano42 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) dkemano42 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) dkemano42 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) dkemano42 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) dkemano42 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) dkemano42 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) dkemano42 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) dkemano42 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) dkemano42 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) dkemano42 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) dkemano42 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit dkemano42's BodySpace
    dkemano42 is offline
    Hey man,

    Take about 5 to 10 grams BCAAS about 45 min before.

    DK
    "After all is said and done, a lot more will have been said than done will have been done!"
    Reply With Quote

  29. #29
    Registered User Dawnbringer's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2009
    Location: Ontario, California, United States
    Age: 29
    Stats: 6'2", 256 lbs
    Posts: 51
    Rep Power: 0
    Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000) Dawnbringer is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Visit Dawnbringer's BodySpace
    Dawnbringer is offline
    Originally Posted by in10city View Post
    Wrong. Even after horsing down 80 grams of oatmeal, guess what? You still will burn fat.

    Your knowledge of substrate utilization is horrible.
    It just makes more sense to use your fat stores for energy, rather than what normally should be, (in most dieting cases), burning up your most important carb/calorie/energy intake for the day. Rather than feeling depleated after burning up your important meal, and having a harder time dealing with cravings and staying satisfied throught the day. Let the metabolism take hold and burn the food calories. Working out on an empty stomach makes your body desire energy = maximum utalization of carbs wich would have been burnt in either case.

    Having a hard time reading the chart, can you put it on "dummy terms for me". Seems like a good study, just don't know what I am looking at, kinda too scientific for me!
    Reply With Quote

  30. #30
    Banned signature166's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2007
    Age: 85
    Stats: 5'4", 1000 lbs
    Posts: 2,110
    BodyPoints: 9
    Rep Power: 0
    signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) signature166 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit signature166's BodySpace
    signature166 is offline
    Originally Posted by Dawnbringer View Post
    Seems like a good study, just don't know what I am looking at, kinda too scientific for me!
    just like with everything above the level of a muscle and fatness or flex article.
    Reply With Quote

Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How Do I Do HIIT When Doing Cardio On A Punching Bag?
    By selfmade in forum Teen Bodybuilding
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-05-2011, 07:07 PM
  2. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 03-12-2009, 10:30 AM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-17-2006, 11:13 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-05-2006, 01:01 AM
  5. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-08-2003, 10:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Home Store Products Careers Help Contact Us Terms of Use Checkout