vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

So you think you finished the 5x5 huh?

The whole idea of someone "finishing" the 5x5 means you really didn't understand why the program was setup the way it was or only thought it was 9 weeks or got bored etc...

If this is you, my advice is go back, read the Madcow writeup, and try to milk the program for everything you can, while your gains are coming easy. This won't last forever.

If you've already done that and have truly gotten all you can out of the program, 99.99% of the time your first reaction is to drastically change the program. It turns into a 6 day split with two days for arms, squats take a back seat to curls & calves and your progress goes to s**t and you begin the cycle of constantly switching routines/splits and becoming of those guys in the gym who are there everyday and never get anything bigger/stronger or faster.

So what do I suggest?
    Well...

I am in no way an expert, nor do I claim to be. Everything that follows is Bill Starr's ideas and I take no credit for them other than putting them in one place and introducing a new look at what to do when linear progress stops.

Squats

Tens, Fives, Threes
    No this isn't Wendler's ever increasingly popular 5/3/1 where you're squatting once every 7-10 days. Nope this is brutal. This will have you squatting three days a week with each day being a relatively HEAVY day.

To set this up, I would suggest keeping your other lifts (presses, rows, cleans) exactly the same way. I would also suggest dropping the deadlift for a few weeks to see how you respond to the squatting.

The formula is simply:

Monday - 5 Sets of 10 ramping the weight each set to a new 10RM each week
    Wednesday - 5 Sets of 3 ramping the weight each set to a new 3RM each week
    Friday- 5 Sets of 5 ramping the weight each set to a new 5RM each week

Now, you're not going to hit PRs every week. You might not even get all the reps each week, but each week you SHOULD hit at least 1 new PR whether its 10RM, 5RM or 3RM

Timed Squats
    To set this up, I would suggest keeping your other lifts (presses, rows, cleans, DLs) exactly the same way. Keep your light (or front) squats on Wednesday and continue to try to hit new PRs on Friday. This routine only changes Monday.

Drop your 5RM on Monday by about 5-10% and do 5x5 ramping the weights each set. The difference, you goal is to do the entire 25 reps as fast as possible. In fact, the only real rest, should be changing the weights between sets. Next Monday, add weight, and try to beat your time. Example if your top set in Week one is 300lbs and you get all the reps in 15 minutes, next week shoot for 310lbs and try to finish in 14 minutes. Each week, add weight, work faster. This should drive Friday and hopefully you'll hit new PRs each Friday.

Bench Press
    If your bench stalls, keep all your other lifts the same but try this bench variation. This can be setup two (or more ways). The only difference is in scheduling. To set this up initially, do the following routine on Monday, use OH press on Wednesday and then try to hit new bench PRs on Friday.

The setup:

Warmup (you should know what you need by this point)

5 heavy singles. These should be done as close to your 1RM as possible but low enough that you get all the reps and have some in the tank for what's next.

5 sets of 5 with the same weight for all 5 sets. These will again be as close to 5RM as possible, but low enough to make sure you get all 25 back off reps.

Depending on how you feel, especially if the aches & pains start, is to drop pressing on Wednesday altogether and replace Friday's benching with OH presses or inclines.

Disclaimer
    There are an infinite number of ways to manipulate the basic 5x5 template to suit your own needs & goals. This post just gives a few of the basic ideas that Starr's used in his book with trainees who had become stuck. I am sure I left out details for all three variations which is why I would recommend that you pick up the book "The Strongest Shall Survive". It's a good read and at the very least the pictures of hippies lifting weights are entertaining.

http://www.aasgaardco.com/store/stor...on=show_detail
    The guys who claim "I did GOMAD and got fat" are just stupid. - Dave76