Calborn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Calborn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Calborn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Calborn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Calborn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Calborn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Calborn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Calborn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Calborn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Calborn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Calborn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Does biking build mass (specifically fixed gear)?

Hey everyone, well I've been riding a fixed gear bicycle for some time now, and for those of you who don't know what that is, it's basically a bike with one gear/speed.

Basically like this

Since it's only one gear and doesn't have the luxury of gears, it takes a lot more effort to ride, especially going uphill or at faster speeds, because the wheel only moves when the pedal moves.
    So my question is, would constant biking while maintaining adequate rest and a constant bulk diet add mass to my legs or just maintain the muscles?
    Mountains bow down and the seas will roar at the sound of Your name.

Jesus Christ saved my life. And that's nothing to be ashamed of, but it's everything to be proud and thankful of.

lilshortwun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lilshortwun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lilshortwun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lilshortwun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lilshortwun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lilshortwun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lilshortwun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lilshortwun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lilshortwun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lilshortwun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lilshortwun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    if you're looking to add a lot of mass, no. it will build a lot of endurance though.

Calborn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Calborn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Calborn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Calborn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Calborn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Calborn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Calborn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Calborn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Calborn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Calborn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Calborn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    alright. got it.
    i noticed that after leg day (atg squats, leg press, leg lifts, etc.) i'll ride my bike for a couple of miles and i feel little to no soreness in my legs after. am i overworking my legs or is the biking beneficial?

Jesus Christ saved my life. And that's nothing to be ashamed of, but it's everything to be proud and thankful of.

thatguy89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thatguy89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thatguy89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thatguy89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thatguy89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thatguy89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thatguy89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thatguy89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thatguy89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thatguy89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thatguy89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Maybe if you find a steep hill and pedal it as fast as you can, HIT builds muscle.

Keep intensity high, and distance low for minimal muscle loss. What are your goals?

Edit: Yes, you are probably over training your legs. But as said before, it is good for endurance. As for strength and size....idk

Originally Posted by thatguy89 View Post

Edit: Yes, you are probably over training your legs.
    that's what i was worried about..

Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Calborn View Post
    alright. got it.
    i noticed that after leg day (atg squats, leg press, leg lifts, etc.) i'll ride my bike for a couple of miles and i feel little to no soreness in my legs after. am i overworking my legs or is the biking beneficial?
    Yes the biking can definitely help with soreness so it most likely isn't a coincidence.

that's what i was worried about..
    I doubt you're overworking your legs.
    I used to have an AVI of my traps and neck. I changed it a while back and tried editing my user title but this website is glitched and it will not let me change it anymore.

thatguy89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thatguy89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thatguy89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thatguy89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thatguy89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thatguy89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thatguy89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thatguy89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thatguy89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thatguy89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thatguy89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ok, maybe not over working, but I doubt you're making any gains. Except those of recovery times and endurance.

You don't think riding a fixed gear bike several miles after a full blown leg workout isn't a bit excessive/overkill?

Don't get me wrong, it is great cardio, cool down, and all that, but don't be expecting massive legs.

Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by thatguy89 View Post
    Ok, maybe not over working, but I doubt you're making any gains. Except those of recovery times and endurance.

You don't think riding a fixed gear bike several miles after a full blown leg workout isn't a bit excessive/overkill?

Don't get me wrong, it is great cardio, cool down, and all that, but don't be expecting massive legs.
    Too many factors. We don't know how much he's biking, how his leg workout is, how much he is eating. Etc. Etc.

I used to ride 3.5 miles from the gym everyday and I highly doubt it was detrimental in any way.
    I used to have an AVI of my traps and neck. I changed it a while back and tried editing my user title but this website is glitched and it will not let me change it anymore.

LukeN.Good is just really nice. (+1000) LukeN.Good is just really nice. (+1000) LukeN.Good is just really nice. (+1000) LukeN.Good is just really nice. (+1000) LukeN.Good is just really nice. (+1000) LukeN.Good is just really nice. (+1000) LukeN.Good is just really nice. (+1000) LukeN.Good is just really nice. (+1000) LukeN.Good is just really nice. (+1000) LukeN.Good is just really nice. (+1000) LukeN.Good is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Galindo62 View Post
    Too many factors. We don't know how much he's biking, how his leg workout is, how much he is eating. Etc. Etc.

I used to ride 3.5 miles from the gym everyday and I highly doubt it was detrimental in any way.
    This - I also doubt he's over training his legs just from riding a bicycle around.

My gym is 2-3 miles away up a gradual incline and I'll often ride my bike there just for the sake of doing so - even on a leg day. The more you utilize a muscle the more developed it's going to be, but unless you're continually increasing resistance (difficulty, not endurance) you're generally not going to notice significant mass gains solely from the act of biking.
    Unless you're riding 10+ miles a day, it's probably not going to be detrimental - especially if your diet compensates for the caloric deductions of your riding related efforts.
    Waging war against misinformation!

Too many factors.
    I will agree with that.

To OP, maybe, maybe not lol.

But you're probably fine, unless you're a freak in the gym and do it daily.

whoa, thanks for all the feedback everyone, i really appreciate all of this.
    well, my leg workouts get me to the point where it's difficult to walk down the stairs of my gym without holding on to the railings, and i consume roughly 2800-3000 calories per day. 6-8 hours of sleep per night, plus an 1-2 hours during the day. everyday i'll bike around 3-5 miles altogether, which isnt much. but i'll go on 10+ mile rides once or twice a week. im just concerned about the positive/negative effects of the biking on my leg gains
    Last edited by Calborn; 10-08-2009 at 12:43 AM.

You're pretty light dude. Might wanna cut the lengthy bike rides.

You're pretty light dude. Might wanna cut the lengthy bike rides.
    Point taken. I actually bike around for my cardio, since I rarely run right now due to my bulking phase. You think more calories would compensate for my bike sessions? cause I'll be honest, I'm addicted to my bike, lol.

Point taken. I actually bike around for my cardio, since I rarely run right now due to my bulking phase. You think more calories would compensate for my bike sessions? cause I'll be honest, I'm addicted to my bike, lol.
    Lol.

I would definitely add extra calories.

Lol.

I would definitely add extra calories.
    Already done. Feels good man. lol

And thanks for all your help too

RaaR is just really nice. (+1000) RaaR is just really nice. (+1000) RaaR is just really nice. (+1000) RaaR is just really nice. (+1000) RaaR is just really nice. (+1000) RaaR is just really nice. (+1000) RaaR is just really nice. (+1000) RaaR is just really nice. (+1000) RaaR is just really nice. (+1000) RaaR is just really nice. (+1000) RaaR is just really nice. (+1000)
    I cant tell if this is a joke thread about the bicycle bull**** again ( didn't read, only parts )

no joke.

Loswaldo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Loswaldo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Loswaldo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Loswaldo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Loswaldo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Loswaldo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Loswaldo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Loswaldo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Loswaldo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Loswaldo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Loswaldo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    it will make your legs huge and is great cardio. But with naything you have to eat and tring then you will have legs like this:

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

PSN: MrLoswaldo
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Umad_Brasiek
    Blog: newjackhiphop.com

whoa! who's that dude?
    you usually see pencil thin dudes on track bikes

Widge is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Widge is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Widge is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Widge is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Widge is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Widge is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Widge is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Widge is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Widge is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Widge is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Widge is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    its chris hoy and his biking is out and out sprinting and he deffonately does leg work in the gym aswell.

GO TEAM GB
    my posts are my own opinion and a result of my OWN experience,

AS in sports science
    year studying anatomy and physiology (sp) < probly

Originally Posted by Widge View Post
    its chris hoy and his biking is out and out sprinting and he deffonately does leg work in the gym aswell.

GO TEAM GB
    that is effing inspiring..

Jag3034 is just really nice. (+1000) Jag3034 is just really nice. (+1000) Jag3034 is just really nice. (+1000) Jag3034 is just really nice. (+1000) Jag3034 is just really nice. (+1000) Jag3034 is just really nice. (+1000) Jag3034 is just really nice. (+1000) Jag3034 is just really nice. (+1000) Jag3034 is just really nice. (+1000) Jag3034 is just really nice. (+1000) Jag3034 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I wasnt sure if he was talking about bi"cycling" since he worded his whole thing oddly. I still remember when people did that lol.
    Rep back 1k+

Originally Posted by Jag3034 View Post
    I wasnt sure if he was talking about bi"cycling" since he worded his whole thing oddly. I still remember when people did that lol.
    strong unaware =(

I even wrote "biking" on the title bro lol

edit: and there's a picture of a freakin bike on there