Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Italian.Muscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Italian.Muscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Italian.Muscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Italian.Muscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Italian.Muscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Italian.Muscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Italian.Muscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Italian.Muscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Italian.Muscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Italian.Muscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Italian.Muscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

What chest movements build up inner chest? (MWL)

My chest sucks but the worst part is my inner chest. Im missing the mass in the middle so that the pecs meet, makes my chest look even worse.

I usually do this on a regular chest day

Flat BB bench
    Incline DB
    Flat DB flys
    Decline DB
    Burnout either pushups or flat DB press
    Last edited by Italian.Muscle; 10-06-2009 at 09:57 AM.

N01SYtZ is a name known to all. (+5000) N01SYtZ is a name known to all. (+5000) N01SYtZ is a name known to all. (+5000) N01SYtZ is a name known to all. (+5000) N01SYtZ is a name known to all. (+5000) N01SYtZ is a name known to all. (+5000) N01SYtZ is a name known to all. (+5000) N01SYtZ is a name known to all. (+5000) N01SYtZ is a name known to all. (+5000) N01SYtZ is a name known to all. (+5000) N01SYtZ is a name known to all. (+5000)
    only 1 incline excercise?
    i do bb incline
    bb flat
    db pullovers
    incline db flyes
    incline machine
    PSN: KILLEMALLDNTFRNT

JBrook has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JBrook has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JBrook has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JBrook has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JBrook has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JBrook has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JBrook has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JBrook has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JBrook has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JBrook has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JBrook has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You need more mass exercises
    Flat BB bench
    Incline BB Bench
    db and fly work after that.

Italian.Muscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Italian.Muscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Italian.Muscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Italian.Muscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Italian.Muscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Italian.Muscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Italian.Muscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Italian.Muscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Italian.Muscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Italian.Muscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Italian.Muscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by JBrook View Post
    You need more mass exercises
    Flat BB bench
    Incline BB Bench
    db and fly work after that.
    So just change my incline DB to BB?

Diablomeister is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diablomeister is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diablomeister is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diablomeister is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diablomeister is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diablomeister is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diablomeister is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diablomeister is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diablomeister is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diablomeister is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diablomeister is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Italian.Muscle View Post
    So just change my incline DB to BB?
    if you want more mass go the BB route.
    Originally Posted by Tiffany Wantsmore

A lie to get yourself out of trouble is way different to a lie designed to not hurt someone's feelings.

Originally Posted by Curtiz

woman logic, gotta love it

MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I have a machine in my gym that i always use to burn out w/ at the end of a workout. Its a hammer strength incline press (on that you add the plates on the back) It starts w/ a normal width grip but comes together at the top much like a db press. Nothing hits my inner chest like it, check it out if your gym has one

Ochman44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ochman44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ochman44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ochman44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ochman44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ochman44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ochman44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ochman44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ochman44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ochman44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ochman44 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Quit doing so many exercises it's unnecessary. Pick a main movement whether that be incline db, flat, decline w/e. Then Hit a secondary one after that. First one concentrate on adding as much strength to this lift in whatever rep range you grow best in. Second exercise do something opposite of it. If your main is incline do a decline press as your second and do it for a bit higher reps. Doing pushups at the end isn't bad as they help with shoulder health because they get the serratus firing which tends to not with normal pressing.

HardWorkPaysof is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardWorkPaysof is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardWorkPaysof is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardWorkPaysof is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardWorkPaysof is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardWorkPaysof is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardWorkPaysof is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardWorkPaysof is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardWorkPaysof is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardWorkPaysof is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardWorkPaysof is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by _Flippy_ View Post
    use a closer grip

focus on squeezing your inner chest

work on the MMC
    This. took the words right out of my mouth!
    Yessir.

Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    there is no "inner chest"

HardWorkPaysof is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardWorkPaysof is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardWorkPaysof is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardWorkPaysof is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardWorkPaysof is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardWorkPaysof is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardWorkPaysof is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardWorkPaysof is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardWorkPaysof is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardWorkPaysof is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardWorkPaysof is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Steering clear of the inner/outer chest or upper/lower chest debate. I will say that a closer grip helps me to focus on the inner portion of my chest than a wider grip. Just like incline bench hits my "upper chest" more than say, decline. Either way there are different exercises and angles that hit different parts of the same muscle.
    Yessir.

Stevedore86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stevedore86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stevedore86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stevedore86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stevedore86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stevedore86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stevedore86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stevedore86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stevedore86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stevedore86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stevedore86 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Ochman44 View Post
    Quit doing so many exercises it's unnecessary. Pick a main movement whether that be incline db, flat, decline w/e. Then Hit a secondary one after that. First one concentrate on adding as much strength to this lift in whatever rep range you grow best in. Second exercise do something opposite of it. If your main is incline do a decline press as your second and do it for a bit higher reps. Doing pushups at the end isn't bad as they help with shoulder health because they get the serratus firing which tends to not with normal pressing.
    THIS

Keep it simple and lift hard. Also, we don't know anything about you diet, or how long you've been working out or working on this chest goal specifically. If you want to grow, you need to worry less about exercises and more about overall growth -train intensely with basic exercises, eat lots of good food and sleep.

Originally Posted by Ka0s View Post
    there is no "inner chest"
    Also THIS^

then how did close grip presses change my inner chest appearance in 3 months when years of shoulder width presses only put size on my outer chest?
    ^Broscience alert^ I don't doubt that your inner chest grew after several years +three months. That doesn't mean that close grip hits the inner chest. There are only two heads to the Pec Major muscle. Neither are 'Inner'. Saying there is an inner chest is like saying you can hit the 'Upper Bicep'. You can hit the outer and the inner bicep (short or long head) but not a head that doesn't exist.

Your chest grew because you did chest exercises. You likely also ate right and rested.

pollox is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pollox is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pollox is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pollox is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pollox is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pollox is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pollox is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pollox is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pollox is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pollox is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pollox is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    ^^^^^138 lbs

listen to this guy, hes doinitrite

VVSKing is on a distinguished road. (+10) VVSKing is on a distinguished road. (+10) VVSKing is on a distinguished road. (+10) VVSKing is on a distinguished road. (+10) VVSKing is on a distinguished road. (+10) VVSKing is on a distinguished road. (+10) VVSKing is on a distinguished road. (+10) VVSKing is on a distinguished road. (+10) VVSKing is on a distinguished road. (+10) VVSKing is on a distinguished road. (+10) VVSKing is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by pollox View Post
    ^^^^^138 lbs

LMFAO repped
    Little money never told big money what to do.

Stevedore86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stevedore86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stevedore86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stevedore86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stevedore86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stevedore86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stevedore86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stevedore86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stevedore86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stevedore86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stevedore86 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by pollox View Post
    ^^^^^138 lbs

Damn right I am. I'd rather be 138 lbs and know what I'm talking about than 191 and totally lacking in any real arguments.

shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Stevedore86 View Post
    THIS

Keep it simple and lift hard. Also, we don't know anything about you diet, or how long you've been working out or working on this chest goal specifically. If you want to grow, you need to worry less about exercises and more about overall growth -train intensely with basic exercises, eat lots of good food and sleep.

Also THIS^

^Broscience alert^ I don't doubt that your inner chest grew after several years +three months. That doesn't mean that close grip hits the inner chest. There are only two heads to the Pec Major muscle. Neither are 'Inner'. Saying there is an inner chest is like saying you can hit the 'Upper Bicep'. You can hit the outer and the inner bicep (short or long head) but not a head that doesn't exist.

Your chest grew because you did chest exercises. You likely also ate right and rested.
    seriously when i do close grip bench i mostly feel it in my tri's but it always makes my chest tight..and only between the pecs too..

Lowrie92 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Lowrie92 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Lowrie92 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Lowrie92 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Lowrie92 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Lowrie92 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Lowrie92 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Lowrie92 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Lowrie92 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Lowrie92 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Lowrie92 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    If you want better development in your inner chest, i would try using dumbbells more, they let you go down farther and really stretch your inner chest.

Num3n has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Num3n has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Num3n has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Num3n has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Num3n has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Num3n has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Num3n has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Num3n has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Num3n has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Num3n has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Num3n has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    you guys do realize that the chest is only 2 muscles... pectoralis major and minor... the only way to build the inner chest is just to build mass, it will fill in the middle naturally. no one certain exercise fills the middle chest in :\
    Think you of the fact that a deaf person cannot hear. Then what deafness may we not all possess? ~ Dune

We need a new ideology with the core values of reason, honesty, science and secular progress over the older traditions of religion, superstition and dogmatic faith that have long defined humanity. We will never be free to progress and advance until the last stone from the last church is cast down onto the last priest. And every equivalent.

Originally Posted by shaneee View Post
    seriously when i do close grip bench i mostly feel it in my tri's but it always makes my chest tight..and only between the pecs too..
    Don't stop doing something if it works, the thing is there is only one muscle belly there (sternal pec major) it gets trained, it grows. Both types of presses hit it, different people like different grips, widths, presses etc but the bottom line is there is only one sternal pec, just many ways of hitting it.

If it were possible to isolate inner chest and make it grow with specific 'inner chest exercises' you could grow that area to dominate the outer chest. You see lots of people with dominant 'outer chest' and weak 'inner' but you don't see the opposite. If someone has developed the 'inner chest' they have developed the entire sternal head and the whole pec muscle is bigger.

Edit:^^ See Num3n post above. Canadian education system ftw?
    Last edited by Stevedore86; 10-06-2009 at 06:32 PM.

Original Neanderthal theapexxxx's Avatar
    theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000)
    Don't stop doing something if it works, the thing is there is only one muscle belly there (sternal pec major) it gets trained, it grows. Both types of presses hit it, different people like different grips, widths, presses etc but the bottom line is there is only one sternal pec, just many ways of hitting it.

If it were possible to isolate inner chest and make it grow with specific 'inner chest exercises' you could grow that area to dominate the outer chest. You see lots of people with dominant 'outer chest' and weak 'inner' but you don't see the opposite. If someone has developed the 'inner chest' they have developed the entire sternal head and the whole pec muscle is bigger.

Edit:^^ See Num3n post above. Canadian education system ftw?
    I would have to respectfully disagree....

She has some impressive inner pectorals and not so much outer.

karoloydi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) karoloydi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) karoloydi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) karoloydi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) karoloydi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) karoloydi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) karoloydi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) karoloydi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) karoloydi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) karoloydi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) karoloydi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Lowrie92 View Post
    If you want better development in your inner chest, i would try using dumbbells more, they let you go down farther and really stretch your inner chest.
    I ll second that! I was doing barbell presses for long time, then I changed to dumbbells. Next day my inner and top chest was aching. But not the outer chest.

I've stated the facts and given you an opportunity to rebut. You have not bothered to do so. I'm not going to continue arguing with you over the internet. I stand by my position and need say nothing else to back it up.

caseys5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) caseys5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) caseys5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) caseys5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) caseys5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) caseys5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) caseys5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) caseys5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) caseys5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) caseys5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) caseys5 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    the concept of "inner chest" doesn't even begin to make sense if you just look at how the muscle works.

Darmawan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Darmawan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Darmawan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Darmawan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    diamond push up!
    If you're a noob, don't train like a body builder. Train like a power lifter, eat like a body builder.

That's why I train like a power lifter, and eat like a body builder!

PlutoBrown has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PlutoBrown has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PlutoBrown has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Muscle fibers in the chest go horizontally, so Im pretty sure you can only do lower, middle, and upper chest and not inner or outer chest.

derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    i love how the few people in here who actually know what the hell theyre talking about and clearly have taken at least one A&P class in their life are getting totally flamed.

who needs actual science, we have 100s, if not 1000s of members with MDs specializing in the one and only supreme field, Broscience!

always bet on black Noutritionist's Avatar
    Noutritionist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by MWheatley View Post
    I have a machine in my gym that i always use to burn out w/ at the end of a workout. Its a hammer strength incline press (on that you add the plates on the back) It starts w/ a normal width grip but comes together at the top much like a db press. Nothing hits my inner chest like it, check it out if your gym has one
    Cheers for the tip

derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    because textbook knowledge =/= real bodybuilding experience
    and broscience =/= real scientific facts

you cant build a muscle that doesnt exist. i dont care how much knowledge your bro-brain holds or how many years of experience you have or how many cock push-ups you can do. the bottom line is that its not there

FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Here's one I was taught by an old bodybuilder...

On dumbell flys, try to pull the HEELS of your palms together at the top, straightening your elbows to near lockout, and SQUEEZE for a count of two before lowering again.

I would skip the last (heavy) set on presses, and use that energy to add one extra set of heavy dumbell flys.

If it helps you feel the squeeze, practice flexing against your finger on the edge or the muscle as it comes into the breastplate.

Upper and inner development of the major and minor is the toughest part for the weekender, but that's the difference between just weightlifting and BODYBUILDING.

faddy5624 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) faddy5624 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) faddy5624 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) faddy5624 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) faddy5624 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) faddy5624 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) faddy5624 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) faddy5624 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) faddy5624 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) faddy5624 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) faddy5624 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    The people telling you that you can hit the inner chest are the same guys who don't squat because they like the leg press better. Just hit the chest with some hard bench and incline and you will see improvements.

TheMinion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheMinion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheMinion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheMinion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheMinion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheMinion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheMinion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheMinion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheMinion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheMinion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheMinion has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

The individual fibers do not stretch across the entire length of the pectoral muscle. Why is it so hard to believe that certain ones can be emphasized more than others?