reckliss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) reckliss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) reckliss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) reckliss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) reckliss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) reckliss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) reckliss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) reckliss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) reckliss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) reckliss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) reckliss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Giant Loss of Strength During Texas Method Program

Hey,

(4 weeks ago)
    Squat: 5x5 260lbs(Volume Day) .8*Volume Day(Recovery Day) 1RM 295lbs(Max Day)
    Bench: 5x5 235lbs(Volume Day) .8*Volume Day(Recovery Day) 1RM 265lbs(Max Day)
    Row: 5x5 175lbs(Volume Day) .8*Volume Day(Recovery Day) 1RM 215lbs(Max Day)

Weight: 180 -> 215

I have been running the Texas Method Program for about 3 months now. My squat has gone from 215 1RM -> 295 1RM, bench 180 3RM -> 265 1RM, and row 135 3RM -> 215 1RM. So I have had awesome gains over the life of this program. But over the past three weeks I have hit a big wall. Four weeks ago I went into the gym and hit my 1 rep max for squat. Three weeks ago on the volume day I couldn't complete the 3rd set of five for my squat. My legs felt shot so I decided to stop and give them a week off. I hit 1RM for both bench and row that week. Two weeks ago I tried squatting again with less weight probably around 245 on the volume day but I felt the same as the week before. I decided to do 3 sets of a really reduced weight and give my legs a second week off. I also wouldn't hit 1RM for both bench and squat that week. Because of the reduced performance and feeling tired in the gym I decided to take a week off entirely from the weight room. I came back today (Volume Day) and tried squatting 225 for 5 sets of 5. 1st set-4reps, 2nd set-5reps, 3rd set-failure after 2reps. Bench I would go for 225 5 sets of 5 but would fail to complete the 1st set. I reduced the weight to 205 and failed to get the 5th rep of the 5th set up. I completed my rows at 140lbs, though it was tough.
    So to sum it up in 3 weeks I have gone from:
    Squat: 5x5 260lbs(Volume Day)->210lbs (est.)
    Bench: 5x5 235lbs(Volume Day)->205lbs
    Row: 5x5 175lbs(Volume Day)->140lbs

I am a college student with a very busy/stressful schedule. Over the past month I have had a lot of projects and mid terms. I have only averaged around 6-7hours of sleep a night. I eat a lot of food high in protein and good carbohydrates. I drink lots of fluids during the course of a day(not pop mostly water and milk). What should my course of action be besides trying to get 8+ hours of sleep? Should I change my program? Should I take another week off? What should I set the weight for each exercise? Any ideas?

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read and respond to this ahead of time!

Registered User OldSchoolLifter's Avatar
    OldSchoolLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldSchoolLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldSchoolLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldSchoolLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldSchoolLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldSchoolLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldSchoolLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldSchoolLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldSchoolLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldSchoolLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldSchoolLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The book covers what to do in this circumstance. It lays out two types of resets, you need the second (more severe) one.

mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    how often do you take a recovery week in this three month plan?

mc

Deadlift_10KG will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift_10KG will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift_10KG will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift_10KG will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift_10KG will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift_10KG will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift_10KG will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift_10KG will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift_10KG will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift_10KG will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift_10KG will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I think if you want to keep your lifts up, try a new program. Deloads don't always work like people think they are some sort of cure for hitting a plateau. I reccommend the 5 / 3 / 1 program by Jim Wendler. It boosts up lifts cause you do a main lift once per day with 1 - 3 assistance exercises. You maintain strength and make PRs every time you hit the gym. It will keep you motivated, you'll spend less time in the gym and you will still be getting stronger.

Check my thread out for more info
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=119477321

vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Deadlift_10KG View Post
    I think if you want to keep your lifts up, try a new program. Deloads don't always work like people think they are some sort of cure for hitting a plateau. I reccommend the 5 / 3 / 1 program by Jim Wendler. It boosts up lifts cause you do a main lift once per day with 1 - 3 assistance exercises. You maintain strength and make PRs every time you hit the gym. It will keep you motivated, you'll spend less time in the gym and you will still be getting stronger.

Check my thread out for more info
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=119477321
    How much has this program brought up your squat 1RM? How quickly were you progressing before you switched to it?
    The guys who claim "I did GOMAD and got fat" are just stupid. - Dave76

Deadlift_10KG will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift_10KG will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift_10KG will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift_10KG will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift_10KG will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift_10KG will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift_10KG will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift_10KG will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift_10KG will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift_10KG will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift_10KG will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by vicjg View Post
    How much has this program brought up your squat 1RM? How quickly were you progressing before you switched to it?
    Are you asking because I'm not a powerlifter? I actually think the program is really good and on tmuscle, lots of people explain how the program boosted there 1rm to a favorable amount. Would my squat 100 lbs or 500 lbs change how people think of the 5/3/1?

vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Are you asking because I'm not a powerlifter? I actually think the program is really good and on tmuscle, lots of people explain how the program boosted there 1rm to a favorable amount. Would my squat 100 lbs or 500 lbs change how people think of the 5/3/1?
    No, not all. But the OP was using the TM, so apparently he was trying to increase his 1,2,3RM, and you recommended the 5/3/1. The progression (especially with the 90% starting weights + the deload week) of the 5/3/1 would be a little slow for the OP.

I was guessing you must have had success running the program to recommend it. Your max squat wasn't what I was asking about it was how much YOU put on your lifts using the slower progression of the 5/3/1.
    Last edited by vicjg; 10-05-2009 at 01:35 PM.

No, not all. But the OP was using the TM, so apparently he was trying to increase his 1,2,3RM, and you recommended the 5/3/1. The progression (especially with the 90% starting weights + the deload week) of the 5/3/1 would be a little slow for the OP.

I was guessing you must have had success running the program to recommend it.
    Nope, sorry. I just thought he could be interested. You seem more experienced, so I guess 5/3/1 wouldn't be a good idea.

reckliss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) reckliss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) reckliss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) reckliss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) reckliss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) reckliss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) reckliss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) reckliss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) reckliss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) reckliss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) reckliss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    OldSchoolLifter: What book are you referring to? I own Basic Barbell Training & Practical Programming by Rippetoe & Kilgore.

mc-: I haven't taken any weeks off since starting this program.

Deadlift_10KG: I'll take a look.

vicjg: Don't have exact but I would say 215lbs and at that point I weighed 180lbs. So 215lbs->295lbs. Before I was just squatting with no program and I wasn't getting anywhere.

Hope that helps. Thanks

Nope, sorry. I just thought he could be interested. You seem more experienced, so I guess 5/3/1 wouldn't be a good idea.
    I wasn't calling you out, that wasn't my intention.

I also wasn't claiming to be a expert. I was just see the 5/3/1 being thrown around ALOT recently and the progression just seems very slow for a beginner/intermediate lifter.

Originally Posted by reckliss View Post
    OldSchoolLifter: What book are you referring to? I own Basic Barbell Training & Practical Programming by Rippetoe & Kilgore.

mc-: I haven't taken any weeks off since starting this program.

Deadlift_10KG: I'll take a look.

vicjg: Don't have exact but I would say 215lbs and at that point I weighed 180lbs. So 215lbs->295lbs. Before I was just squatting with no program and I wasn't getting anywhere.

Hope that helps. Thanks
    Try cutting the volume to 3 sets of 5 & maybe start with 220 and try to work back up. Try to add 10lbs a week and be back to where you were in a month.

Try cutting the volume to 3 sets of 5 & maybe start with 220 and try to work back up. Try to add 10lbs a week and be back to where you were in a month.
    Ok, I'll try that. What should I do on the max days? And once I reach my previous records should I go back to 5 sets or stay at 3?

Thanks

james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    if you regress on both volume day and PR day, (rippetoe qoute) " Possible solutions could be to drop a set or two from the sets across, reduce the work-set weight, or reduce the reps in the work sets - from 5 sets of 5 with 300 pounds to 5 sets of 3 with 300, for example."

Ok, I'll try that. What should I do on the max days? And once I reach my previous records should I go back to 5 sets or stay at 3?

Thanks
    You gotta feel it out. The TM is about trying to figure out what works best for you.

Maybe knock 10% off your 1RM. Try to hit 255-260 for a single the first week. And aim to get back to 295 by the end of the four weeks. Use the max day as a gauge for how to program the volume day, if your max isn't really moving (or moving slow) try more volume, if it goes down again, cut the volume.

Aight, I'll try that out.

Thanks

OldSchoolLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldSchoolLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldSchoolLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldSchoolLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldSchoolLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldSchoolLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldSchoolLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldSchoolLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldSchoolLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldSchoolLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldSchoolLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Practical Programming covers exactly what to do if you stall so severely that your weights actually start to regress.

One other thing that Rippetoe recommends over at Strengthmill, for when you totally crash like you described - take a week off completely (no weights, no cardio, no sports, nothing) and eat everything that isn't tied down for that week, seriously just eat like a complete ****ing pig for that one week.