rustausa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustausa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustausa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustausa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustausa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustausa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustausa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustausa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustausa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile How do you know when you just gotta cut?!

Hey all! I just need some opinions and thoughts from you guys.
    I am 179cm (5"10), weigh 75kg (165 lbs) and im guestimating like 16% body fat. I was just inspired by this article here: http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a..._beast_evolves

So I am busy with a madcows 5x5 routine, so I am doing all the compound lifts etc. I havent been keeping track of my calories since im pretty much doing a "bulk" (ive gained like 1.5kg in 5 weeks-so a very slow bulk). Anyway, i see i am losing what definition i have already, but i have gained some strength. The point of this thread is to just get some ideas of my nutritional requirements. I want to get lean again, and have a nice set of abs showing in like 3-4months time. Should i cut now with my current stats? Or should i "bulk" some more and then cut later (and screw the abs in 3-4 months )? I hear a lot of people saying to the skinny guys to bulk up first to build a good solid base to work with. I think i have some reasonable base now. Im pretty strong for a person of my size. Anyway, what do you guys think? I appreciate all the CONSTRUCTIVE comments!! haha

"boulder shoulders" fade2green514's Avatar
    fade2green514 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fade2green514 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fade2green514 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fade2green514 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fade2green514 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fade2green514 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fade2green514 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fade2green514 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fade2green514 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fade2green514 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fade2green514 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by rustausa View Post
    Hey all! I just need some opinions and thoughts from you guys.
    I am 179cm (5"10), weigh 75kg (165 lbs) and im guestimating like 16% body fat. I was just inspired by this article here: http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a..._beast_evolves

So I am busy with a madcows 5x5 routine, so I am doing all the compound lifts etc. I havent been keeping track of my calories since im pretty much doing a "bulk" (ive gained like 1.5kg in 5 weeks-so a very slow bulk). Anyway, i see i am losing what definition i have already, but i have gained some strength. The point of this thread is to just get some ideas of my nutritional requirements. I want to get lean again, and have a nice set of abs showing in like 3-4months time. Should i cut now with my current stats? Or should i "bulk" some more and then cut later (and screw the abs in 3-4 months )? I hear a lot of people saying to the skinny guys to bulk up first to build a good solid base to work with. I think i have some reasonable base now. Im pretty strong for a person of my size. Anyway, what do you guys think? I appreciate all the CONSTRUCTIVE comments!! haha
    bulk imo. just sayin. you asked.

rustausa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustausa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustausa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustausa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustausa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustausa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustausa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustausa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustausa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by fade2green514 View Post
    bulk imo. just sayin. you asked.
    thats exactly what i wanted, so thanks! Could you maybe give me a few reasons for your response? Should i rather build a bigger base first you rate?

fade2green514 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fade2green514 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fade2green514 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fade2green514 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fade2green514 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fade2green514 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fade2green514 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fade2green514 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fade2green514 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fade2green514 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fade2green514 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    thats exactly what i wanted, so thanks! Could you maybe give me a few reasons for your response? Should i rather build a bigger base first you rate?
    cause who doesn't want more muscle?

also, after you do cut, with more muscle you'll look even more ridiculous.

oh and girls want a guy who can lift them high in the air.

+rep i like your attitude

TheAdlerian has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheAdlerian has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheAdlerian has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheAdlerian has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheAdlerian has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheAdlerian has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheAdlerian has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheAdlerian has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheAdlerian has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheAdlerian has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheAdlerian has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    What's your goal?

If it's to have larger muscles then ask yourself, are they large enough for now? If the answer is yes, then cut.

It sounds to me like you want larger muscles, but are afraid that you're getting fat. If so, I suggested continuing your bulk but make sure that you're getting lean protein and carbs from vegetables and whatnot. That way, your body will be getting a lot of the stuff it needs for muscle building without food that easily converts to fat.

th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If you lean out you'll be able to see gains a bit better in my opinion. I don't see the point in bulking personally when you have plenty of excess body fat. Personally I'd cut to 8% body fat and then CLEAN bulk. If I'm fat I don't see the point in myself into a position where I may gain more body fat. It's all up to you though, if you think you're too small and need more muscle mass then by all means go for it, if you think you're too fat then cut the fat.
    "Everyone thinks they're on their way to single digit body fat as soon as they see a blurry four-pack in the right lighting.Your final body weight at 5-6% will be a lot less than what you think.Talk to me again when you get in contest shape." I'd be willing to say that 95% of people on this forum accomplish nothing in years, don't be one of those people. It's sad,they seem to have the knowledge many don't but can't utilize it.

man, YOU get reps too just for being awesome!

th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Haha, I could do that at 140 pounds =/ Just because you're HUGE doesn't mean you're strong. I've seen some guys nearly double my size playing with baby weights. I've also seen some small guys doing crazy things
    "Everyone thinks they're on their way to single digit body fat as soon as they see a blurry four-pack in the right lighting.Your final body weight at 5-6% will be a lot less than what you think.Talk to me again when you get in contest shape." I'd be willing to say that 95% of people on this forum accomplish nothing in years, don't be one of those people. It's sad,they seem to have the knowledge many don't but can't utilize it.

Originally Posted by th3pwn3r View Post
    Haha, I could do that at 140 pounds =/ Just because you're HUGE doesn't mean you're strong. I've seen some guys nearly double my size playing with baby weights. I've also seen some small guys doing crazy things
    huge normally does mean you're stronger than a guy who is smaller than you. keep in mind a guy that is shorter that looks jacked might ACTUALLY have smaller muscles than a guy who is taller that DOESN'T look jacked... just because the muscles bunch up more.

and, that depends on the girl. my girlfriend has an ass, so i have to be a little bit stronger hahaha... don't worry her waist is tiny.

If you lean out you'll be able to see gains a bit better in my opinion. I don't see the point in bulking personally when you have plenty of excess body fat. Personally I'd cut to 8% body fat and then CLEAN bulk. If I'm fat I don't see the point in myself into a position where I may gain more body fat. It's all up to you though, if you think you're too small and need more muscle mass then by all means go for it, if you think you're too fat then cut the fat.
    thanks for the response. I was kinda thinking the same thing, so im not 100% set with what i want to do. Im like an inbetween...i could bulk for a little longer, or i could start right now! Im just losing my definition, and im not liking it too much!

huge normally does mean you're stronger than a guy who is smaller than you. keep in mind a guy that is shorter that looks jacked might ACTUALLY have smaller muscles than a guy who is taller that DOESN'T look jacked... just because the muscles bunch up more.

and, that depends on the girl. my girlfriend has an ass, so i have to be a little bit stronger hahaha... don't worry her waist is tiny.
    It's all about strength to weight ratio. I've seen plenty huge, "jacked" weaklings. And yea, shorter people tend to look like they build up better due to muscles being more compact but it doesn't mean they have more muscle mass. Eh, I'm not a fan of cottage cheese asses.

thanks for the response. I was kinda thinking the same thing, so im not 100% set with what i want to do. Im like an inbetween...i could bulk for a little longer, or i could start right now! Im just losing my definition, and im not liking it too much!
    Well I'm not sure how much it matters to you but I would never want to climb on top of my girlfriend, have her smothered by my fat and jiggle as I put in work, no thanks. BUT if you CLEAN bulk you don't have to worry about it too much.

Well I'm not sure how much it matters to you but I would never want to climb on top of my girlfriend, have her smothered by my fat and jiggle as I put in work, no thanks. BUT if you CLEAN bulk you don't have to worry about it too much.
    Exactly! Ill be seeing my girl in 2 months time, and im just not feeling this jiggly fat thing... and i dont think she is either! I think I'll just lean out a bit first, shot dude!

jay24k is just really nice. (+1000) jay24k is just really nice. (+1000) jay24k is just really nice. (+1000) jay24k is just really nice. (+1000) jay24k is just really nice. (+1000) jay24k is just really nice. (+1000) jay24k is just really nice. (+1000) jay24k is just really nice. (+1000) jay24k is just really nice. (+1000) jay24k is just really nice. (+1000) jay24k is just really nice. (+1000)
    I think it depends on your preference. I cut down till where I felt too thin. I measured my body fat last week at 11% which was low enough for me. I have upper abs and my arms, shoulders and back are ripped pretty good (can see all the muscle striations). My legs also are defined. I also felt that winter is here so the only one that will see me is my wife. Then come March 1st, I will cut hardcore again. I did a mini bulk in July this year and I lost all my definition and wasn't too happy. I went from 196 to about 210. So last month I did an insane cut. Ran over 100 miles and lifted 5 days a week in the gym. Dropped to 191 @ 11%. For me (6-2), I felt that was too low in weight and my goal is 220 @ 9%. I got a ways to go but I love doing it. So now I am bulking again.

So bottom line, I'd bulk through the winter. Your shirt stays on. Just do a slow clean bulk and then cut hardcore.
    I Rep back always. Put it in comment.

500+ will 100% get repped back.

Life Progress

Started: 279lb 43% body fat
    1st Cut: 191lb 16% body fat
    1st Bulk: 231lb 26% body fat
    2010 Summer Cut: 193 10% body fat
    Bulking Currently 202 13% body fat.

Originally Posted by jay24k View Post
    I think it depends on your preference. I cut down till where I felt too thin. I measured my body fat last week at 11% which was low enough for me. I have upper abs and my arms, shoulders and back are ripped pretty good (can see all the muscle striations). My legs also are defined. I also felt that winter is here so the only one that will see me is my wife. Then come March 1st, I will cut hardcore again. I did a mini bulk in July this year and I lost all my definition and wasn't too happy. I went from 196 to about 210. So last month I did an insane cut. Ran over 100 miles and lifted 5 days a week in the gym. Dropped to 191 @ 11%. For me (6-2), I felt that was too low in weight and my goal is 220 @ 9%. I got a ways to go but I love doing it. So now I am bulking again.

So bottom line, I'd bulk through the winter. Your shirt stays on. Just do a slow clean bulk and then cut hardcore.
    ok, im liking all these differing views. I share the same method, just constant bulk/cutting cycles until you are happy with your results! I guess bulks just scare me a bit, since im a former fatty, maybe thats why i get paranoid when i consider bulks and want to cut already!

SV1000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SV1000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SV1000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SV1000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SV1000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SV1000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SV1000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SV1000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SV1000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SV1000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SV1000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    With enough mass a guy can still carry extra fat and looked jacked to hell. I am sure this is not your intent and the best response so far is to bulk and cut or cut and bulk until you are happy. If it does not work for the girlfriend you have now, change that!

12/23/08 - 279
    12/31/09 - 243
    01/13/10 - 250

Yeah, that's a real gun in that gun rack...No, I don't have a permit for it
    Do you have a permit to ask stupid questions like that...Trace Atkins

Originally Posted by SV1000 View Post
    With enough mass a guy can still carry extra fat and looked jacked to hell. I am sure this is not your intent and the best response so far is to bulk and cut or cut and bulk until you are happy. If it does not work for the girlfriend you have now, change that!

Haha, it would take a looong time for the OP to pack on that much muscle mass. Just imagine how good those guys would look if they cut. What's with all of them being bald or having receding hair lines?

SV1000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SV1000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SV1000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SV1000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SV1000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SV1000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SV1000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SV1000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SV1000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SV1000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SV1000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    That was not my point!
    12/23/08 - 279
    12/31/09 - 243
    01/13/10 - 250

Yeah, that's a real gun in that gun rack...No, I don't have a permit for it
    Do you have a permit to ask stupid questions like that...Trace Atkins

That was not my point!
    haha! too funny! But ya, it will take a long time for me to get that kinda mass. Muscle takes forever to build! So im still thinking bulking/cutting cycles

ZidaneValor is a name known to all. (+5000) ZidaneValor is a name known to all. (+5000) ZidaneValor is a name known to all. (+5000) ZidaneValor is a name known to all. (+5000) ZidaneValor is a name known to all. (+5000) ZidaneValor is a name known to all. (+5000) ZidaneValor is a name known to all. (+5000) ZidaneValor is a name known to all. (+5000) ZidaneValor is a name known to all. (+5000) ZidaneValor is a name known to all. (+5000) ZidaneValor is a name known to all. (+5000)

Fearing Chuck Norris! Nutshell20's Avatar
    Nutshell20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nutshell20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nutshell20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nutshell20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nutshell20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nutshell20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nutshell20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nutshell20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nutshell20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nutshell20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nutshell20 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I think too many people fear the bulk because it is associated with getting fat. Put on 10 pounds of quality muscle, then cut. Worked so well for me I'm doing it again. Seem to be putting on some good muscle.
    You're not fooling anyone.

alanaragonblog.com - He has forgotten more than most will ever know.

BTK-BLEED TIME KREW!

Originally Posted by Nutshell20 View Post
    I think too many people fear the bulk because it is associated with getting fat. Put on 10 pounds of quality muscle, then cut. Worked so well for me I'm doing it again. Seem to be putting on some good muscle.
    10 pounds of muscle will take a solid 5 months EASILY. Cutting fat will happen at a much faster rate but so many people don't realize that. You can cut fat easily at a pound a week but gaining muscle mass happens at a much slower rate. That's why to me it makes sense to cut before and look really lean and then clean bulk to look even better. I will say that it does help to bulk up if you have no muscle to cut down and display.

mikelog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikelog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikelog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikelog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikelog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikelog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikelog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikelog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikelog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikelog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikelog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

The two on the far right in the front row might be jacked but they look fat too. Too much excess weight.

Fearing Chuck Norris! Nutshell20's Avatar
    Nutshell20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nutshell20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nutshell20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nutshell20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nutshell20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nutshell20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nutshell20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nutshell20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nutshell20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nutshell20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nutshell20 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    10 pounds of muscle will take a solid 5 months EASILY. Cutting fat will happen at a much faster rate but so many people don't realize that. You can cut fat easily at a pound a week but gaining muscle mass happens at a much slower rate. That's why to me it makes sense to cut before and look really lean and then clean bulk to look even better. I will say that it does help to bulk up if you have no muscle to cut down and display.

I do agree, best thing about doing it this way is motivation. You see results much faster. When I first began working out I did it this way, great results and motivation too! For me, I hit a wall fairly quickly. A clean bulk really helped to put the lean muscle on to keep me lean.
    You're not fooling anyone.

alanaragonblog.com - He has forgotten more than most will ever know.

BTK-BLEED TIME KREW!

Obnoxious123 is just really nice. (+1000) Obnoxious123 is just really nice. (+1000) Obnoxious123 is just really nice. (+1000) Obnoxious123 is just really nice. (+1000) Obnoxious123 is just really nice. (+1000) Obnoxious123 is just really nice. (+1000) Obnoxious123 is just really nice. (+1000) Obnoxious123 is just really nice. (+1000) Obnoxious123 is just really nice. (+1000) Obnoxious123 is just really nice. (+1000) Obnoxious123 is just really nice. (+1000)

all of those guys but like 2 have higher bodyfat. they are still not very fat anyways. the others are all sub 12-13%

omgimfat is not very helpful. (-500) omgimfat is not very helpful. (-500) omgimfat is not very helpful. (-500) omgimfat is not very helpful. (-500) omgimfat is not very helpful. (-500) omgimfat is not very helpful. (-500) omgimfat is not very helpful. (-500) omgimfat is not very helpful. (-500) omgimfat is not very helpful. (-500) omgimfat is not very helpful. (-500) omgimfat is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by Obnoxious123 View Post
    all of those guys but like 2 have higher bodyfat. they are still not very fat anyways. the others are all sub 12-13%
    what do you guess the guy in the grey shorts bf % is? thats the perfect look