store will become famous soon enough. (+50) store will become famous soon enough. (+50) store will become famous soon enough. (+50) store will become famous soon enough. (+50) store will become famous soon enough. (+50) store will become famous soon enough. (+50) store will become famous soon enough. (+50) store will become famous soon enough. (+50) store will become famous soon enough. (+50) store will become famous soon enough. (+50) store will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Which way do your toes point when you squat?

I was at therapy yesterday and my therapist asked to see my squat form, so I get set up and I do an air squat. He said, "Do you usually have your toes pointing out?" I said, "Yea, otherwise I don't get low enough." He told me I am only going to hit my quads if I do it like that. He showed me how to do it with my toes forward, but my hamstrings are so tight I can't get low enough without leaning forward. I found out my technique is really off.

someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    slightly out for most people

If you can't squat with good form with toes forward don't do it, if you have fine technique with toes slightly out keep doing it that way. Takes some really good flexibility to have toes forward.

store will become famous soon enough. (+50) store will become famous soon enough. (+50) store will become famous soon enough. (+50) store will become famous soon enough. (+50) store will become famous soon enough. (+50) store will become famous soon enough. (+50) store will become famous soon enough. (+50) store will become famous soon enough. (+50) store will become famous soon enough. (+50) store will become famous soon enough. (+50) store will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Okay. Yea I always pointed my toes out just so I could get low enough.

lifterg is just really nice. (+1000) lifterg is just really nice. (+1000) lifterg is just really nice. (+1000) lifterg is just really nice. (+1000) lifterg is just really nice. (+1000) lifterg is just really nice. (+1000) lifterg is just really nice. (+1000) lifterg is just really nice. (+1000) lifterg is just really nice. (+1000) lifterg is just really nice. (+1000) lifterg is just really nice. (+1000)
    depends on stance width.
    If you draw a line down your femur, it should extend straight through your feet.

TrettinR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TrettinR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TrettinR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TrettinR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TrettinR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TrettinR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TrettinR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TrettinR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TrettinR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TrettinR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TrettinR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Why would you listen to your therapist about squatting unless he himself is a powerlifter?
    There is no such thing as 'strong enough'

ShutUpAndSquat is just really nice. (+1000) ShutUpAndSquat is just really nice. (+1000) ShutUpAndSquat is just really nice. (+1000) ShutUpAndSquat is just really nice. (+1000) ShutUpAndSquat is just really nice. (+1000) ShutUpAndSquat is just really nice. (+1000) ShutUpAndSquat is just really nice. (+1000) ShutUpAndSquat is just really nice. (+1000) ShutUpAndSquat is just really nice. (+1000) ShutUpAndSquat is just really nice. (+1000) ShutUpAndSquat is just really nice. (+1000)
    **** your therapist, he probably squats with his knees drifting forward too. your toes should always be pointing out at either a 1 o'clock or 2 o'clock angle

vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by store View Post
    I was at therapy yesterday and my therapist asked to see my squat form, so I get set up and I do an air squat. He said, "Do you usually have your toes pointing out?" I said, "Yea, otherwise I don't get low enough." He told me I am only going to hit my quads if I do it like that. He showed me how to do it with my toes forward, but my hamstrings are so tight I can't get low enough without leaning forward. I found out my technique is really off.

A quick smack to the back of your therapist's neck might be in order.

Just sayin
    The guys who claim "I did GOMAD and got fat" are just stupid. - Dave76

RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Funny I squat with my toes pointed out, and the next day my hamstrings are f*cking obliterated. "Only hit your quads" my ass.

Has new batteries! DuracellBunny's Avatar
    DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    It varies depending on what stance I am taking (anywhere from 5 to 45 degrees from straight forward). As long as the line that your knee travels along is the same as the direction your foot is pointing in, there is a limit to how far you can go wrong.

The one piece of wisdom that probably lies at the heart of what your therapist is telling you is that the wider the squat is, the more hamstring involvement and the narrower it is, the more your feet point forward. That principle may have become distorted over time with the therapist.

If you are squatting with feet straight forward, yes you will tend to use less hamstring, but that is only because you are probably squatting with a narrower stance.
    Last edited by DuracellBunny; 10-02-2009 at 10:05 AM.
    Screw nature; my body will do what I DAMN WELL tell it to do!

The only dangerous thing about an exercise is the person doing it.

They had the technology to rebuild me. They made me better, stronger, faster......

koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    A resounding "Don't listen to the therapist."

Your toes should point whichever direction your knees are pointing. If you're taking a very narrow stance, your toes should point forward or very close to it (this will incorporate your quads more). The wider your stance, the farther out your toes should go (wider stances equal more hamstring and glute work). However, if you try to squat with a wide stance and your toes forward, you are going to create some hellacious torque in your knees, and probably open yourself up to injury.

Maybe your therapist is working on his job security?
    314/231/352/881@123

Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by ShutUpAndSquat View Post
    **** your therapist, he probably squats with his knees drifting forward too. your toes should always be pointing out at either a 1 o'clock or 2 o'clock angle
    Gotta get the other foot too 1 or 2, and 11 or 10 respectively
    Originally Posted by koyongi View Post
    A resounding "Don't listen to the therapist."

Your toes should point whichever direction your knees are pointing. If you're taking a very narrow stance, your toes should point forward or very close to it (this will incorporate your quads more). The wider your stance, the farther out your toes should go (wider stances equal more hamstring and glute work). However, if you try to squat with a wide stance and your toes forward, you are going to create some hellacious torque in your knees, and probably open yourself up to injury.

Maybe your therapist is working on his job security?
    lulz. I had pt on my hamstring and the guy told me to squat to depth with a 12 inch stance. My knees were so far over my toes my damn heels were off the ground.
    771/645/622 Single Ply

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by store View Post
    They point out. If anybody suggested that I should change that, they'd become somebody who I don't listen to anymore.
    Qualifying for long drive contest with 328 yard drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrGuFlqhaA

2017 Utah State Longest drive. This one went 328 and got me into finals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-_3HrZzI4

2017 Rockwell challenge. 325 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuB2rPMcBA

behind the bamboo curtain RAGS_21's Avatar
    RAGS_21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RAGS_21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RAGS_21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RAGS_21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RAGS_21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RAGS_21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RAGS_21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RAGS_21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RAGS_21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RAGS_21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RAGS_21 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Toes forward, pointed out a little bit. I think the toes pointing directly forward is dependent on the nature of their hips.
    "The next time someone tells you that you can't be lean and big and strong, all simultaneously, slap them dead in the mouth, rape their girlfriend, and then go lift something heavy."

workout journal - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=127041211

Registered User eXpiRaTioN_DaTe's Avatar
    eXpiRaTioN_DaTe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eXpiRaTioN_DaTe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eXpiRaTioN_DaTe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eXpiRaTioN_DaTe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eXpiRaTioN_DaTe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eXpiRaTioN_DaTe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eXpiRaTioN_DaTe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eXpiRaTioN_DaTe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eXpiRaTioN_DaTe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eXpiRaTioN_DaTe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eXpiRaTioN_DaTe has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    left @11, right @1

Real Deal Strength & Con. Cricket_Fire's Avatar
    Cricket_Fire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cricket_Fire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cricket_Fire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cricket_Fire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cricket_Fire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cricket_Fire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cricket_Fire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cricket_Fire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cricket_Fire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cricket_Fire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cricket_Fire will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If your therapist thinks toes pointing out will hit nothing but quads, your therapist doesn't understand basic physiology.. I'd get a new therapist asap

Poppy83 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Poppy83 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Poppy83 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Poppy83 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Poppy83 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Poppy83 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Poppy83 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Poppy83 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Poppy83 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Poppy83 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Poppy83 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by eXpiRaTioN_DaTe View Post
    left @11, right @1
    I squat with my feet pointing at 9 and 3 o'clock. It has really made my curtsy noticeably more powerful!
    *MFC Illuminati*

*3-22-13*

EinMassengrab. is a name known to all. (+5000) EinMassengrab. is a name known to all. (+5000) EinMassengrab. is a name known to all. (+5000) EinMassengrab. is a name known to all. (+5000) EinMassengrab. is a name known to all. (+5000) EinMassengrab. is a name known to all. (+5000) EinMassengrab. is a name known to all. (+5000) EinMassengrab. is a name known to all. (+5000) EinMassengrab. is a name known to all. (+5000) EinMassengrab. is a name known to all. (+5000) EinMassengrab. is a name known to all. (+5000)
    uhh,, i squat with my toes pointed out like 45 degrees. it doesn't hit your quads more, it lets you drop into your hips better = more glutes/hamstring usage (assuming you're using correct form and your knees aren't inwards at the bottom)
    6' 215 lbs

CURRENT (all estimated)/GOAL

Bench: 390+/405
    Squat: 430ish/500
    Deadlift: 450ish/600

Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=114780741

ZHOSTKA!!!

BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    most go with them slightly out. i would say several factors to consider are:

1) which angle or lack thereof are you strongest at?
    2) do you feel any difference in which muscles you feel working when you change foot angle?
    3) does changing your foot angle change the way in which your knee tracks over your toes?
    4) which foot angle allows you to achieve the depth you need in a painless manner, etc.?

to me those would be things that should be running through your mind as you pick your foot angle, but i'm by no means a squatting expert.
    barbell1.com - home of The Barbell1 Show - the only 5 day/wk Online Radio on building muscle
    Listened to in 171 Countries, Downloaded 1.3 million X in 2014-15
    Get it free on iTunes and Stitcher Radio for your mobile device!

About me:
    MS in Sports Dietetics
    Registered Dietitian
    BS in ESS
    NSCA Certified Personal Trainer