LuisQuesada has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Sharp Shoulder Pain From Incline Smith Bench Press?

Hey guys whats up.
    Basically its been here for about a month now. maybe a little more.
    The problem is that after i do my sets for flat bench i go onto the smith for incline press. I choose the smith over the freeweight bar press because i always get a better pump throughout and after my workout as oppose to incline where i do not gain much.

my only problem with the smith is that once i get into the 5th rep of my frist set i get a VERY sharp pain in my upper left shoulder everytime i come down. now it could be that my positioning is off but no matetr what i try it remains there. i bring the bar down between my nipples and collar bone(closer to nipples than collar bone) basically exactly how the press is suppose to be done. but that pain catches my shoulder and im basically stuck with it for the rest of my workout. I do try incline dumbell press but nothing seems to be as efficient for me as the good old bar press. what do u guys think the cause of thise shoulder pain should be? going down too much? positioned too much to the right or too much to the left?
    i know its a tough question but any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks!

anmol_khanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anmol_khanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anmol_khanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anmol_khanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anmol_khanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anmol_khanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anmol_khanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anmol_khanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anmol_khanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anmol_khanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anmol_khanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by LuisQuesada View Post
    Hey guys whats up.
    Basically its been here for about a month now. maybe a little more.
    The problem is that after i do my sets for flat bench i go onto the smith for incline press. I choose the smith over the freeweight bar press because i always get a better pump throughout and after my workout as oppose to incline where i do not gain much.

my only problem with the smith is that once i get into the 5th rep of my frist set i get a VERY sharp pain in my upper left shoulder everytime i come down. now it could be that my positioning is off but no matetr what i try it remains there. i bring the bar down between my nipples and collar bone(closer to nipples than collar bone) basically exactly how the press is suppose to be done. but that pain catches my shoulder and im basically stuck with it for the rest of my workout. I do try incline dumbell press but nothing seems to be as efficient for me as the good old bar press. what do u guys think the cause of thise shoulder pain should be? going down too much? positioned too much to the right or too much to the left?
    i know its a tough question but any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks!
    - unstable shoudlers. Avoid incline till shoulder is better. I would work on lower traps and do more rows.

- For pressing movement think of moving scapula out as you bar goes down

JZ1986 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JZ1986 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JZ1986 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JZ1986 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JZ1986 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JZ1986 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JZ1986 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JZ1986 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JZ1986 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JZ1986 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JZ1986 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The simple answer would be to avaid doing inclines on the Smith machine.

Aside from that, try varying you grip width, do you flare or tuck elbows, try adjusting the height of the the incline bench. There are many other variables that can be adjusted, but I think your best bet is to get out of the Smith.