doctordubs is on a distinguished road. (+10) doctordubs is on a distinguished road. (+10) doctordubs is on a distinguished road. (+10) doctordubs is on a distinguished road. (+10) doctordubs is on a distinguished road. (+10) doctordubs is on a distinguished road. (+10) doctordubs is on a distinguished road. (+10) doctordubs is on a distinguished road. (+10) doctordubs is on a distinguished road. (+10) doctordubs is on a distinguished road. (+10) doctordubs is on a distinguished road. (+10)

VERY sore shoulders from sleeping wrong

Hello BB.com.....I'm hoping for some help with my shoulders. I've been sleeping on my side for a long time. For some reason now, i was going to do shoulder press and i got half way up on my left arm and dropped the weight as if someone stabbed my left shoulder. I've stuffed a pillow on my left side so i dont roll over on it in my sleep....but i think it needs a lil rehab maybe????? Any thoughts on what i should do??? I know I know....Go see a dr....but i hate drs....i think most of them wanna jack you up on pharmaceuticals, and i'm all natural...especially being a medical marijuana patient

So really, is there any exercises or ANYTHING i can do myself to aleviate my pain??? I've been doing squats like crazy since shoulders is a big part of doing upper body work. I can do lat pull downs...light curls, chain saw starts....etc....lifts that dont require pressing over my head. I can do some heavy curls, but when i start to fatigue, i can feel my shoulder trying to compensate. This is killing me!!! Any help is VERY appriciated...thx again

Doctordubs

Original Neanderthal theapexxxx's Avatar
    theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000)
    That sounds more like a rotator cuff issue.
    When your rotator cuff gives out, the weight gives out. No matter how strong your delts may be.

There are many rotator cuff exercises out there. They all use light weight, as heavier weight will incorporate more delts and chest (which we don't want in this instance).

Heres a good one, grab a light DB (5-10lbs). Hold it thumb down palms facing out. Then lift it as you would a lateral raise. But lift it half-way between a front raise and a lateral raise (45 degree angle).

Another one could be: With a DB (or even better a stretchy tube), keep your upper arm parallel with the floor and your elbow at a 90 degree angle. And simply rotate your arm from down to up keeping your upper arm parallel with the floor.
    Last edited by theapexxxx; 09-28-2009 at 09:54 PM.

Hanzou has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hanzou has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hanzou has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hanzou has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hanzou has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hanzou has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hanzou has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hanzou has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hanzou has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hanzou has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hanzou has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Similar thing happened to em where I woke up one morning and couldn't raise my right shoulder more than a few inches in a lateral raise motion without intense pain. This made it hurt to even use the computer as resting my arm on the desk to use the mouse hurt. This of course happened when I was addicted to WOW many years ago which made it even harder.

Anyeways back to your question. I really didnt do anything about it, I just dodn't do anything physical for a week or two and it healed itself, must of been a pinched nerve or somethig as I did nothing to hurt it but sleep on it funny.

michealmyers is on a distinguished road. (+10) michealmyers is on a distinguished road. (+10) michealmyers is on a distinguished road. (+10) michealmyers is on a distinguished road. (+10) michealmyers is on a distinguished road. (+10) michealmyers is on a distinguished road. (+10) michealmyers is on a distinguished road. (+10) michealmyers is on a distinguished road. (+10) michealmyers is on a distinguished road. (+10) michealmyers is on a distinguished road. (+10) michealmyers is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I just recently had the same thing happen. No idea when it happened, either working out of sleeping on it wrong. Regardless, I've taken this week off (doing light cardio) but no lifting at all. Do a search for rotator cuff exercises and you'll find some very good one's. I've been doing them this week and it feels 10 times better. Still a bit sore but by next week I should be ready to jump back in using very very light weight to start. Give it rest though, thats the most important thing.

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Take as much time off as needed. Muscle loss will recover easily. Damaged joints and related tissues won't.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

Poorp-226 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Poorp-226 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Poorp-226 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Poorp-226 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Poorp-226 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Poorp-226 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Poorp-226 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Poorp-226 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Poorp-226 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Poorp-226 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Poorp-226 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have had and currently have this same problem. I sleep weird on my right shoulder and it creates a dull pain throughout the day and when I do shoulder exercises I feel sharp pains. I have started taking Glucosamine Chondroitin on a regular basis and this has worked wonders. If I forget to bring my pills home from work during the weekend by Monday my shoulder is throbbing again.

I just pick mine up at Walmart and they work wonders, and no it's not a placebo effect.

theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by doctordubs View Post
    So really, is there any exercises or ANYTHING i can do myself to aleviate my pain??? I've been doing squats like crazy since shoulders is a big part of doing upper body work. I can do lat pull downs...light curls, chain saw starts....etc....lifts that dont require pressing over my head. I can do some heavy curls, but when i start to fatigue, i can feel my shoulder trying to compensate. This is killing me!!! Any help is VERY appriciated...thx again Doctordubs
    "Been doing squats like crazy because shoulders is a big part of doing upper body work?"
    What does that even mean? Your doing squats as a shoulder workout?

When your body fatigues of heavy curls, its natural for your shoulders to want to compensate. Your body does what it takes to get the job done.
    That just usually means your using too much weight.

Use lighter weight and work on your rotator cuff and you should have no problem doing presses.

Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000)

Lightbulb maybe it's the weed?

Seriously, this isn't a just say no rant! I used to smoke regularly and one thing that I noticed was although marriage-a-juana may provide temporary relief to joint and muscle pain overall it seemed to make matters worse.

My hypothesis for this consisted of two main factors:

1) Smoking pot (esp. the good stuff) can dehydrate you! For years I had wondered what caused cotton mouth... dehydration can be an extra bad thing to have happen if your body is trying to repair itself.

2) Increased flexibility... I don't know about you but pot seems to help me relax so much that I become even more bendy than usual. I often found myself over-stretching things while stoned and paying for it later.

An auxiliary factor that I took into consideration was the increased estrogen side-effect... though I'm not too sure how big a role that plays. Or if it's even a real side effect...

In any case, I'd certainly avoid lifting while high... as I'm sure this increases risk of injury in most people due to it's affect on things like reaction time etc. Also, from my personal experience, it doesn't seem very conducive to intense physical activity outside of maybe dancing...
    "I'm Mr. Beast, the big bad Fenris wolf, I'm The-End-of-the-World-Man, wearing the flesh of fallen angels!" - Jack Lupino

"after the 3rd set he vomited, after the 4th set, he vomited really, really hard, I did not have him perform a 5th set" - Keith Wassung

doctordubs is on a distinguished road. (+10) doctordubs is on a distinguished road. (+10) doctordubs is on a distinguished road. (+10) doctordubs is on a distinguished road. (+10) doctordubs is on a distinguished road. (+10) doctordubs is on a distinguished road. (+10) doctordubs is on a distinguished road. (+10) doctordubs is on a distinguished road. (+10) doctordubs is on a distinguished road. (+10) doctordubs is on a distinguished road. (+10) doctordubs is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by theapexxxx View Post
    "Been doing squats like crazy because shoulders is a big part of doing upper body work?"
    What does that even mean? Your doing squats as a shoulder workout?
    No I might have worded that wrong....I've been doing mainly leg workouts like squatting because I cant do any upper body cuz of my shoulder.

Jack_lupino....I dont lift stoned my man....I get up early and eat and then go lift.... I dont medicate until about 3 hours after i've lifted. Increasing estrogen? Doubt that myth, and as for dehydration i drink a bare minimum 1/2 gal of water a day.

And thx you to everyone else who added their input.....I'll be taking all info into consideration and REALLY taking it easy on my shoulder. I guess i should just do legs and cardio until it's better, and some of those rotator cuff exercises extremely light.

Thx for all the help!!

Doctordubs

No I might have worded that wrong....I've been doing mainly leg workouts like squatting because I cant do any upper body cuz of my shoulder.

Jack_lupino....I dont lift stoned my man....I get up early and eat and then go lift.... I dont medicate until about 3 hours after i've lifted. Increasing estrogen? Doubt that myth, and as for dehydration i drink a bare minimum 1/2 gal of water a day.

And thx you to everyone else who added their input.....I'll be taking all info into consideration and REALLY taking it easy on my shoulder. I guess i should just do legs and cardio until it's better, and some of those rotator cuff exercises extremely light.

Thx for all the help!!

Doctordubs
    Don't worry about what Jack_Lupino says, he often gives horrible advice.

Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by theapexxxx View Post
    Don't worry about what Jack_Lupino says, he often gives horrible advice.
    and what was so "horrible" about that?

the dude doesn't smoke before lifting and he gets plenty of water, good.
    "I'm Mr. Beast, the big bad Fenris wolf, I'm The-End-of-the-World-Man, wearing the flesh of fallen angels!" - Jack Lupino

"after the 3rd set he vomited, after the 4th set, he vomited really, really hard, I did not have him perform a 5th set" - Keith Wassung

LuisQuesada has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hello BB.com.....I'm hoping for some help with my shoulders. I've been sleeping on my side for a long time. For some reason now, i was going to do shoulder press and i got half way up on my left arm and dropped the weight as if someone stabbed my left shoulder. I've stuffed a pillow on my left side so i dont roll over on it in my sleep....but i think it needs a lil rehab maybe????? Any thoughts on what i should do??? I know I know....Go see a dr....but i hate drs....i think most of them wanna jack you up on pharmaceuticals, and i'm all natural...especially being a medical marijuana patient

So really, is there any exercises or ANYTHING i can do myself to aleviate my pain??? I've been doing squats like crazy since shoulders is a big part of doing upper body work. I can do lat pull downs...light curls, chain saw starts....etc....lifts that dont require pressing over my head. I can do some heavy curls, but when i start to fatigue, i can feel my shoulder trying to compensate. This is killing me!!! Any help is VERY appriciated...thx again

Doctordubs

hmm i kind of get you. i usually wake up with slight pains on both shoulders. im a real real fan of sleeping on my side. cant helpe it. just rest for now is my best advice if the pain s that much.

mossible has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mossible has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mossible has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mossible has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mossible has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mossible has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mossible has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by LuisQuesada View Post
    hmm i kind of get you. i usually wake up with slight pains on both shoulders. im a real real fan of sleeping on my side. cant helpe it. just rest for now is my best advice if the pain s that much.
    me too.. comfy sleeping "sideways"..
    If you want to join a program that will get you in the best shape of your life and show you a way to make a lot of money doing it, visit my site www.fitnessofwealth.com

anmol_khanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anmol_khanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anmol_khanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anmol_khanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anmol_khanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anmol_khanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anmol_khanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anmol_khanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anmol_khanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anmol_khanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anmol_khanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Doctordubs
    You do need a good physio. I had something similar and did RC. I subluxed in eventually.
    You need a good rehab program - work on lower traps. MAke sure form is correct when benching.

michealmyers is on a distinguished road. (+10) michealmyers is on a distinguished road. (+10) michealmyers is on a distinguished road. (+10) michealmyers is on a distinguished road. (+10) michealmyers is on a distinguished road. (+10) michealmyers is on a distinguished road. (+10) michealmyers is on a distinguished road. (+10) michealmyers is on a distinguished road. (+10) michealmyers is on a distinguished road. (+10) michealmyers is on a distinguished road. (+10) michealmyers is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    how's the shoulder feeling man?

Mine is still sore......I was thinking a week off would help, but I've been reading some stuff that says no lifting for 2-4 weeks. I'm already just about on 1 week rest. I still feel it though, just doing daily stuff it still gets that sore feeling. I think I'm going to have to lay off yet another week. It sux but I'd rather have it heal then end up really screwing it up.

Originally Posted by michealmyers View Post
    how's the shoulder feeling man?

Mine is still sore......I was thinking a week off would help, but I've been reading some stuff that says no lifting for 2-4 weeks. I'm already just about on 1 week rest. I still feel it though, just doing daily stuff it still gets that sore feeling. I think I'm going to have to lay off yet another week. It sux but I'd rather have it heal then end up really screwing it up.
    I know it's been a while since i was on here, sorry about that.

Shoulders are about 90% i would say. Days i've gone to the gym i've strictly done legs, and no upper body. Only upper body exercise i've been doing is the "rubber band" from the Dr. for my shoulder. I've been doing the exercises for that, and it's been helping strengthen the cuff. Im getting back into bench and shoulders.....just going SUPER light right now.

So what i noticed to help the most, NO LIFTING WITH YOUR UPPER BODY, and the rubber band to strengthen.

punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I've been sleeping flat on my back every single night for the past 6 months with my arms kept at my side at all times. I don't like having to stay on my back all night, but if I don't it bothers my shoulder, which makes me cranky all day.
    Bodybuilding is not weight and repetitions; it’s resistance and absolute muscle failure. It’s not quantitative; it’s qualitative. It’s more mental than physical. It’s more control than rage. It’s the realization that you can always get bigger. ~ bodybuilding

TheHealthyDJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheHealthyDJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheHealthyDJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheHealthyDJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheHealthyDJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheHealthyDJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheHealthyDJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheHealthyDJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheHealthyDJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheHealthyDJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheHealthyDJ is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    3" Memory foam absorbs a lot and takes a good amount of stress of the shoulder when sleeping.

Originally Posted by TheHealthyDJ View Post
    3" Memory foam absorbs a lot and takes a good amount of stress of the shoulder when sleeping.
    we actually put memory foam in our mattress not to long ago haha.

PUNKNOTDEAD- For sure, i've been sleeping flat on my back for a few months now, damn hard to get used to being so fond of sleeping on my side.

After taking Physical Therapy and being observed in how I lift, It was discovered what was hurting my shoulder. My form. Hate to admit it, but it's true.

The Physical Therapist noticed that my shoulders naturally roll forward when lifting. This explains the reason I have lots of muscle mass on my upper back and lack in other areas. I've been training the past 4 weeks consistently. I'm already noticing further development in my shoulders and inner arms (problem areas for me). Shoulders are widening with definition really showing through, and my inner tricep is developing. Getting that cut between the bicep finally. It's frustrating to drop to such a light weight and practically start over, but it's GREAT knowing i'm actually doing it correctly to get the gains i've been trying to get for years.

Keep your back tight and shoulders back! That's what's been screwing me!

OH YAH!! And my shoulders haven't been hurting at night one bit. I'm sure due to the correction of how I was working out.