red-alert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Stomach fat on a skinny guy, is this normal?

Hi all, I'm an 18 year old male around 5'10" and 135 lbs (skinny by north american standards, but I guess not that bad by the rest of the world's standards).

Anyway, I started a weight training program about 2 months ago and have been working out at least every other day since I started. I try to work out all parts of my body but feel that I have been neglecting my abdominal area. I either bicycle/walk a few kilometers every day and eat a healthy diet.

My concern is that I am noticing a bit of belly fat (just a bit, I think) on my abdominal area. When I stand up and tuck/flex my stomach, it seems to be well-shaped. But when I slouch and completely relax my abdominal muscles, the stomach seems to be sticking out a bit (just a bit past nipples). When I sit down or bend over, rolls are visible.

Is this normal for a person of my description? Or do I have something to worry about? I guess I should step up the cardio, but what do you guys think?

By the way, I have been drinking a protein shake every day (with one scoop protein mix) with yogurt, milk and frozen berries.

I didn't really notice all this until I got a bit conscious about body build.

PopOverride will become famous soon enough. (+50) PopOverride will become famous soon enough. (+50) PopOverride will become famous soon enough. (+50) PopOverride will become famous soon enough. (+50) PopOverride will become famous soon enough. (+50) PopOverride will become famous soon enough. (+50) PopOverride will become famous soon enough. (+50) PopOverride will become famous soon enough. (+50) PopOverride will become famous soon enough. (+50) PopOverride will become famous soon enough. (+50) PopOverride will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Everyone has that. And you're damn skinny, stop comparing yourself to people who are starving.

CJ_Guns will become famous soon enough. (+50) CJ_Guns will become famous soon enough. (+50) CJ_Guns will become famous soon enough. (+50) CJ_Guns will become famous soon enough. (+50) CJ_Guns will become famous soon enough. (+50) CJ_Guns will become famous soon enough. (+50) CJ_Guns will become famous soon enough. (+50) CJ_Guns will become famous soon enough. (+50) CJ_Guns will become famous soon enough. (+50) CJ_Guns will become famous soon enough. (+50) CJ_Guns will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    What you will hear on these boards:

Suck it up and lift. Abs aren't everything.

Originally Posted by PopOverride View Post
    Everyone has that.
    That's reassuring, but in today's society, it's hard to ignore "imperfections" with your health and body especially when the media is always in your face about it.

Originally Posted by PopOverride View Post
    And you're damn skinny, stop comparing yourself to people who are starving.
    I don't understand what you mean by that. Where I currently live, the predominant ethnicity is Chinese/Japanese/Korean/that sort of thing (I'm neither of those), but these people are generally "skinny" and do make up a significant portion of the world's population. Many of my friends are of similar height and weight. In fact, I have two close friends a bit lighter than me and about just as tall. Yes - I am skinny, but not abnormally or hazardously so. It's just that Americans/North Americans tend to have a much (much) larger body build (males AND females), weather it be fat (more likely) or muscle/bone size.

What I was more concerned with was the uneven distribution of fat that I (think) I am observing on my stomach, as opposed to on my arms, legs, or upper chest. I am trying to get rid of it and tone it down as much as I can.

And if I didn't make myself clear enough, let me state that I am most certainly not comparing myself to people who are starving.

Thanks for your reply.

Originally Posted by CJ_Guns View Post

Oh, wow. I'm sorry to stir up such irritation then. I was only trying to seek opinion from somone who may have had experience with the matter.

billyj1994 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) billyj1994 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) billyj1994 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) billyj1994 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) billyj1994 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) billyj1994 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) billyj1994 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) billyj1994 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) billyj1994 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) billyj1994 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) billyj1994 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    be happy that your skinny enough lol

Originally Posted by billyj1994 View Post
    be happy that your skinny enough lol
    A skinny person wants to gain mass. A fat person wants to lose it. That's like telling a fat person "be happy that you're fat enough, lol". I think we're all just trying to improve our bodies.

(no homo) (yes insecure) chiraag's Avatar
    chiraag will become famous soon enough. (+50) chiraag will become famous soon enough. (+50) chiraag will become famous soon enough. (+50) chiraag will become famous soon enough. (+50) chiraag will become famous soon enough. (+50) chiraag will become famous soon enough. (+50) chiraag will become famous soon enough. (+50) chiraag will become famous soon enough. (+50) chiraag will become famous soon enough. (+50) chiraag will become famous soon enough. (+50) chiraag will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by red-alert View Post
    Hi all, I'm an 18 year old male around 5'10" and 135 lbs (skinny by north american standards, but I guess not that bad by the rest of the world's standards).
    wtf? so america is the only country that has adequate food supplies?

anyways, back on topic, your gut is normal. the only reason why you can see it is because you don't have much muscle mass. just eat and lift
    owes me reps:

You. Yes, you.

"Who's Michelle Obama? I thought it was Barrack Obama" - dunkalicious

Originally Posted by miniergoober View Post
    From what I've read and learned, youre gonna have to do more cardio

you said that you have a healthy diet but you could help by being specific in what you eat, eating fewer calories than you burn will result in weight loss, while eating more will result in weight gain

there are different types of cardio
    running or biking for extended periods (20-25+ minutes) will kick your body into fat burning mode
    i've also read some about HIIT (high intensity interval training) which ihas been shown to better at burning fat than the slow cardio that i mentioned above, HIIT consists of short sprints (30-60 seconds) followed by a slow jog or walk that was twice as long as the amount of time you chose to sprint, typically an HIIT session would look like this:

30s sprint
    60s walk
    repeat sprint 6? times

and you said youre neglecting your abdominal area, well stop because aside from the aesthetics, the core is a very important area to work as many of your movements involve the core

anyone can feel free to correct anything I've said if they think its wrong
    Thank you very much for the detailed and informative reply. I will definitely do the running and biking for extended periods of time. Running is definitely harder and I don't think I can run for 20 minutes constantly, but that's something to work towards. I can bike for hours, however, so I can keep that up as well.

I have also started the P90X ab workout program. It's really good and I like it so far.

As for the details on the diet:

breakfast - omlette, milk, juice, protein shake

lunch - usually rice with meat such as chicken, fish, salmon sandwhich, subs, that sort of thing

dinner - rice almost certainly with lentals, sometimes meat, a whole assortment of vegetables for sure

Again, thanks for the reply.

Originally Posted by chiraag View Post
    wtf? so america is the only country that has adequate food supplies?

anyways, back on topic, your gut is normal. the only reason why you can see it is because you don't have much muscle mass. just eat and lift
    No, I didn't intend for it to sound like that. It's just that I've traveled to various cities in the U.S. and have observed that in many places, the majority of the population is fat/dangerously obese. I didn't mean that in an offensive way. It's just what I have observed.

signals has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) signals has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) signals has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) signals has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) signals has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) signals has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) signals has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) signals has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) signals has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) signals has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) signals has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    who cares how your stomach looks right now. You're not competing and summer's over. What you're describing is totally normal man so don't sweat it.
    ISSA CFT

IWAAE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IWAAE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    its normal, i have a big belly too and im skinny. if you just go search the forum like "skinny with belly fat" youll get many results. just dun wry bout it for now

Originally Posted by signals View Post
    who cares how your stomach looks right now. You're not competing and summer's over. What you're describing is totally normal man so don't sweat it.
    I don't care about what other people think of my appearance. I just want to be healthy.

Originally Posted by miniergoober View Post
    depending on how much meat you get in your meals, you could try fitting another protein shake in there

also it looks like you eat 3 big meals a day, instead you should try to eat 4-6 smaller meals throughout the day, as that will speed up your metabolism
    Thanks, I'll try that as well.

Originally Posted by sydney32 View Post
    its normal, i have a big belly too and im skinny. if you just go search the forum like "skinny with belly fat" youll get many results. just dun wry bout it for now
    Thanks for the reassurance, I'll keep that in mind.

jayjee123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jayjee123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jayjee123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jayjee123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jayjee123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jayjee123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jayjee123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jayjee123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jayjee123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jayjee123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jayjee123 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by CJ_Guns View Post

he wasnt complaining so theres nothing to suck up, ur an idiot

digitalpunk is on a distinguished road. (+10) digitalpunk is on a distinguished road. (+10) digitalpunk is on a distinguished road. (+10) digitalpunk is on a distinguished road. (+10) digitalpunk is on a distinguished road. (+10) digitalpunk is on a distinguished road. (+10) digitalpunk is on a distinguished road. (+10) digitalpunk is on a distinguished road. (+10) digitalpunk is on a distinguished road. (+10) digitalpunk is on a distinguished road. (+10) digitalpunk is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Love the iron

user321655667 is not very helpful. (-500) user321655667 is not very helpful. (-500) user321655667 is not very helpful. (-500) user321655667 is not very helpful. (-500) user321655667 is not very helpful. (-500) user321655667 is not very helpful. (-500) user321655667 is not very helpful. (-500) user321655667 is not very helpful. (-500) user321655667 is not very helpful. (-500) user321655667 is not very helpful. (-500) user321655667 is not very helpful. (-500)
    I think we're all just trying to improve our bodies.
    oh really? **** i thought this was bodyadmiring.com
    brb changing forums.

dbz9000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    by some standards? no your just f uckin skinny.

HCAFC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HCAFC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HCAFC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HCAFC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HCAFC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HCAFC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HCAFC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HCAFC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HCAFC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HCAFC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HCAFC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    1. Make a workout routine for every day of the week
    2. Go to the gym and start lifting
    3. Eat a lot of chicken/fish/other healthy food. If you're not using supplements, drink a few glasses of milk every day

It doesn't get much simpler, really

And, you're not pumping up by asking us on these forums. Your replies are ridiculously long, just get to the point.

Num3n has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Num3n has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Num3n has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Num3n has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Num3n has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Num3n has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Num3n has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Num3n has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Num3n has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Num3n has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Num3n has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

brah, thats like holocaust **** right there.... srsly... :\

you must be trolling
    Think you of the fact that a deaf person cannot hear. Then what deafness may we not all possess? ~ Dune

We need a new ideology with the core values of reason, honesty, science and secular progress over the older traditions of religion, superstition and dogmatic faith that have long defined humanity. We will never be free to progress and advance until the last stone from the last church is cast down onto the last priest. And every equivalent.

Uneducated17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Uneducated17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Uneducated17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Uneducated17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Uneducated17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Uneducated17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Uneducated17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Uneducated17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Uneducated17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Uneducated17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Uneducated17 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Its because you have no muscle so nothing is burning the fat, and if you go out of your way to lose that fat you will look like a skeleton afterwards. Then as soon as you start to bulk (if you do) the fat will just come back and you will look the same.
    If you want to be healthy put some muscle on