24/7 Customer Service 1-866-236-8417 Need Help? 1-866-236-8417

Stats: 5'9", 214 lbs
    mmater has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mmater has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mmater has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mmater has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mmater has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mmater has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mmater has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mmater has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mmater has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mmater has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mmater has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit mmater's BodySpace

Legit MMA gym in Lubbock, TX

Hello Everyone. My hometown is Lubbock, TX and I think I might be moving back maybe in the spring. I started training BJJ/MMA here in Tampa and I love it, and I want to know if anyone knows of a "For real" MMA gym in Lubbock. I have tried googling this, but have come up short with results. I am almost certain there is a gym, because I have seen a couple of fights on TV with the two of the fighters fighting out of Lubbock.

I figured I would tap into this resource to see if someone can help me out. Thanks.

Stats: 6'0", 185 lbs
    iamgenus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) iamgenus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) iamgenus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) iamgenus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) iamgenus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) iamgenus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) iamgenus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) iamgenus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) iamgenus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) iamgenus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) iamgenus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit iamgenus's BodySpace
    After a quick google I'd say your best bet at legit BJJ training is here

http://www.pittmansbjj.com/index.html

looks like there isn't too much around there as most other martial art schools in that area seem to be mcdojos.

Stats: 5'9", 214 lbs
    mmater has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mmater has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mmater has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mmater has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mmater has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mmater has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mmater has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mmater has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mmater has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mmater has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mmater has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit mmater's BodySpace
    Yeah, that is the one I found when I googled it as well. Problem is, just by looking at the website, it seems only geared toward BJJ, not MMA. I am hoping somebody on here knows of the gyms where the guys I referenced in the OP fight out of. It may be an invite only gym, but it's worth looking into. I got some time, but I am just trying to line my ducks up in a row.

tabloid has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tabloid has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tabloid has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tabloid has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tabloid has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tabloid has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tabloid has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tabloid has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tabloid has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tabloid has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tabloid has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    you'll have better luck finding out about this at http://txmma.com

Get yo Guns Up Playa!!! MenTaLPiRacY's Avatar
    BodyPoints: 24181
    MenTaLPiRacY has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MenTaLPiRacY has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MenTaLPiRacY has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MenTaLPiRacY has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MenTaLPiRacY has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MenTaLPiRacY has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MenTaLPiRacY has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MenTaLPiRacY has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MenTaLPiRacY has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MenTaLPiRacY has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MenTaLPiRacY has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit MenTaLPiRacY's BodySpace
    Im here to aware you. Theres a few gyms here.. Tony Bonello opend a gym here. http://thegunfightclub.com/ Also there are a few others.. like Katsu Jin Ryu and Pittmans, United Martial Arts.. i hear pittmans is expensive and u really dont get instructor attention and i hear he dont pay attention to u if ur not one of the top students.. Anyway almost every gym will give u a few lesson or 2 so u can see if thats where u want to be..
    Buccaneers Red Raiders Cubs

GUNS UP!!!

"""""\*͇̿̿\з=(̪●)=ε/*͇̿̿/"""""

You can beat me at Baseball, Basketball, and Football, but i can beat you up.

heathdud is on a distinguished road. (+10)

You have three options.

Klay Pittman is a blackbelt in brazilian jiu jitsu under Carlos Machado, but he primarily specializes in sport jiu jitsu and no gi stuff. There are mma classes there as well. Leonard Garcia and others do some training with Klay. I can personally say Klay is an outstanding guy. Great personality and one of the most technical teachers around. He is great. The only downside is the prices are a little steep. As far as the previous poster has "heard" about Klay he could not be more wrong. Klay started as a TKD blackbelt and we met as such. Our school had holes on the wall and smelled like an old dorm shower. Everyone told Klay how lame it was for him to take up BJJ over karate. Those are the same instructors that spread the nasty rumors. He is correct to say it is primarily a bjj school though.

Gabriel Garcia has an mma program at World Gym. Gabe is also a blackbelt in BJJ with lineage directly from Carlos Machado. I trained with Gabe many years at Klay's school. I can also speak for his character. Great guy and a great instructor. You will not go wrong. I do not know his membership prices.

Tony Bonello, yes, "The Gun" has just recently opened a gym here in Lubbock as well. I have not met or trained with Mr. Bonello, but his fight record speaks for itself. I do not know his rates, but I would guess they are reasonable.

Those are the only three legit MMA programs that I know of here. I have been out of the loop a couple years so there may be more programs out there now with legit instructors. I will warn you that most of the other programs outside of the three listed above are all just karate or tkd guys with no real experience. They are all overnight mma qualified instructors just trying to get some extra cash. Feel free to email me at heathdud@hotmail.com and I can try to answer more specific questions. Just to clarify I am not saying that the other schools in town are not legit. I am just giving information about the ones I do know.

anonymous79 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Gabriel Garcia is now a BJJ instructor under Tony Bonello at his fight club. I know a few guys who train there and they all seem to love it. Tony actually teaches the MMA and Gracie BJJ classes. Nate Sells was also one of Pittman's top guys and he teaches for Tony too. They have "real" MMA classes, Muay Thai, and BJJ classes. It looks really legit.

jsalas1028 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Big Head MMA and Bodyworks Core

Originally Posted by mmater View Post
    Yeah, that is the one I found when I googled it as well. Problem is, just by looking at the website, it seems only geared toward BJJ, not MMA. I am hoping somebody on here knows of the gyms where the guys I referenced in the OP fight out of. It may be an invite only gym, but it's worth looking into. I got some time, but I am just trying to line my ducks up in a row.
    Big Head MMA is a great place. Its located @ Bodyworks Core. Teaches nothing but MMA.Call them 806-748-7736 for more info. Telling you, you will not be disappointed.

jumbalia is on a distinguished road. (+10)

I smell bullsh*t

Originally Posted by anonymous79 View Post
    Gabriel Garcia is now a BJJ instructor under Tony Bonello at his fight club. I know a few guys who train there and they all seem to love it. Tony actually teaches the MMA and Gracie BJJ classes. Nate Sells was also one of Pittman's top guys and he teaches for Tony too. They have "real" MMA classes, Muay Thai, and BJJ classes. It looks really legit.
    Veritas (Nate) was never a "top" guy at Pittmans. Gabe is a very good practitioner and a legit black belt and a very nice guy. For Nate to have a red bar is outlandish and must have been paid for. just as someone else's black belt was.

Stats: 5'10", 222 lbs
    gspmmafan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gspmmafan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gspmmafan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gspmmafan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gspmmafan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gspmmafan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gspmmafan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gspmmafan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gspmmafan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gspmmafan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gspmmafan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit gspmmafan's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by heathdud View Post
    You have three options.

Klay Pittman is a blackbelt in brazilian jiu jitsu under Carlos Machado, but he primarily specializes in sport jiu jitsu and no gi stuff. There are mma classes there as well. Leonard Garcia and others do some training with Klay. I can personally say Klay is an outstanding guy. Great personality and one of the most technical teachers around. He is great. The only downside is the prices are a little steep. As far as the previous poster has "heard" about Klay he could not be more wrong. Klay started as a TKD blackbelt and we met as such. Our school had holes on the wall and smelled like an old dorm shower. Everyone told Klay how lame it was for him to take up BJJ over karate. Those are the same instructors that spread the nasty rumors. He is correct to say it is primarily a bjj school though.

Gabriel Garcia has an mma program at World Gym. Gabe is also a blackbelt in BJJ with lineage directly from Carlos Machado. I trained with Gabe many years at Klay's school. I can also speak for his character. Great guy and a great instructor. You will not go wrong. I do not know his membership prices.

Tony Bonello, yes, "The Gun" has just recently opened a gym here in Lubbock as well. I have not met or trained with Mr. Bonello, but his fight record speaks for itself. I do not know his rates, but I would guess they are reasonable.

Those are the only three legit MMA programs that I know of here. I have been out of the loop a couple years so there may be more programs out there now with legit instructors. I will warn you that most of the other programs outside of the three listed above are all just karate or tkd guys with no real experience. They are all overnight mma qualified instructors just trying to get some extra cash. Feel free to email me at heathdud@hotmail.com and I can try to answer more specific questions. Just to clarify I am not saying that the other schools in town are not legit. I am just giving information about the ones I do know.
    Originally Posted by anonymous79 View Post
    Originally Posted by jsalas1028 View Post
    Big Head MMA is a great place. Its located @ Bodyworks Core. Teaches nothing but MMA.Call them 806-748-7736 for more info. Telling you, you will not be disappointed.
    Originally Posted by jumbalia View Post
    Veritas (Nate) was never a "top" guy at Pittmans. Gabe is a very good practitioner and a legit black belt and a very nice guy. For Nate to have a red bar is outlandish and must have been paid for. just as someone else's black belt was.
    Strong first posts ITT.
    Only use for facebook is trolling.

I rep back brah!

Stats: 5'9", 170 lbs
    BodyPoints: 12669
    DangerDan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) DangerDan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) DangerDan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) DangerDan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) DangerDan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) DangerDan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) DangerDan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) DangerDan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) DangerDan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) DangerDan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) DangerDan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit DangerDan's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by gspmmafan View Post
    Strong first posts ITT.
    Lol, for real.

And strong bump.

Stats: 5'6", 148 lbs
    Ben6485 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Ben6485 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Ben6485 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Ben6485 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Ben6485 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Ben6485 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Ben6485 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Ben6485 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Ben6485 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Ben6485 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Ben6485 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit Ben6485's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by DangerDan View Post
    Lol, for real.

And strong bump.

Stronger bump
    Just moved to Lubbock yesterday.
    Met a the trainers from Big Head MMA today.
    I want to find a school that is mainly gi bjj focused.
    Dallas Sports/Texas Tech Red Raiders
    ****Dallas Misc Crew****
    bb.com's Jiu Jitsu team
    Beer Crew
    ***TEAM REDRAIDER86***

Never quit, because only the strong survive.

Stats: 6'0", 172 lbs
    BodyPoints: 2615
    JCham has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JCham has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JCham has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JCham has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JCham has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JCham has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JCham has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JCham has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JCham has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JCham has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JCham has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit JCham's BodySpace
    http://ralphgracietexas.com/

Trust me, if you want to be a beast passing the guard and having a "MMA" type Jiu Jitsu game, GO HERE. They also offer Muay Thai.

Seriously, read up on Ralph Gracie and his black belts.

Ben6485 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Ben6485 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Ben6485 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Ben6485 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Ben6485 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Ben6485 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Ben6485 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Ben6485 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Ben6485 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Ben6485 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Ben6485 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Originally Posted by JCham View Post
    http://ralphgracietexas.com/

Trust me, if you want to be a beast passing the guard and having a "MMA" type Jiu Jitsu game, GO HERE. They also offer Muay Thai.

Seriously, read up on Ralph Gracie and his black belts.
    I'll prob end up at ralph gracie jj or pittmans.
    It's supposedly expensive but expensive in lubbock is normal in dallas.
    As soon as I confirmed to my coach in Dallas I was moving to Lubbock he said Pittmans is the place to go. He knows Pittman very well and said just mention his name and he will treat me very well.
    I'm gonna call today and see about checking the school out tomorrow on my off day from lifting.
    ****Dallas Misc Crew****
    bb.com's Jiu Jitsu team
    Beer Crew
    ***TEAM REDRAIDER86***

Stats: 6'0", 172 lbs
    BodyPoints: 2615
    JCham has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JCham has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JCham has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JCham has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JCham has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JCham has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JCham has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JCham has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JCham has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JCham has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JCham has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit JCham's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by Ben6485 View Post
    I'll prob end up at ralph gracie jj or pittmans.
    It's supposedly expensive but expensive in lubbock is normal in dallas.
    As soon as I confirmed to my coach in Dallas I was moving to Lubbock he said Pittmans is the place to go. He knows Pittman very well and said just mention his name and he will treat me very well.
    I'm gonna call today and see about checking the school out tomorrow on my off day from lifting.

Just to give you a history of some of the guys that came out of that gym in the 90s.

BJ Penn's BJJ game came largely from Ralph. He went from white to purple under Ralph (and then later went to Nova Uniao) but alot of the way BJ passes the guard and back control is pretty much identical to Ralph's style.

Dave and Dan Camarillo, the Penn brothers, Luke Stewart, etc. all came out of the San Fran gym in the 90s.

Originally Posted by JCham View Post

Just to give you a history of some of the guys that came out of that gym in the 90s.

BJ Penn's BJJ game came largely from Ralph. He went from white to purple under Ralph (and then later went to Nova Uniao) but alot of the way BJ passes the guard and back control is pretty much identical to Ralph's style.

Dave and Dan Camarillo, the Penn brothers, Luke Stewart, etc. all came out of the San Fran gym in the 90s.
    Thanks brah!
    I'm gonna try them all out and see where I feel most comfortable.
    I really respect the Camarillo brothers.
    I wish there was actually a Nova Uniao gym here since my gym in Dallas is Nova Uniao.
    ****Dallas Misc Crew****
    bb.com's Jiu Jitsu team
    Beer Crew
    ***TEAM REDRAIDER86***

cpuc is a complete loser! (-2000) cpuc is a complete loser! (-2000) cpuc is a complete loser! (-2000) cpuc is a complete loser! (-2000) cpuc is a complete loser! (-2000) cpuc is a complete loser! (-2000) cpuc is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Originally Posted by Ben6485 View Post
    Thanks brah!
    I'm gonna try them all out and see where I feel most comfortable.
    I really respect the Camarillo brothers.
    I wish there was actually a Nova Uniao gym here since my gym in Dallas is Nova Uniao.
    Hi I was looking for an mma gym to train at in lubbock, and the ralph gracie gym seems like one of the legitimate ones. Could you tell me a little bit about it? Their website says bjj muay thai and mma, but i see no mma listed under the instructors. How was the muay thai training? How is the bjj?

Thank you.