Colt Steele has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

standard vs olympic weights/bar

im looking into starting to work out at home. i already have a standard weight set that i could use if i just bought a few more plates. do i really need to buy a whole new olympic weight set?? i've never squatted or done heavy exercises with the standard bar/weights and dont know if its recommended or not.

for those that don't know the standard bar is a lot lighter (its around 20 lbs) than an olympic bar so that's why im wondering if it'll be ok to use for squats ...

PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Re: standard vs olympic weights/bar

Originally posted by Colt Steele
    im looking into starting to work out at home. i already have a standard weight set that i could use if i just bought a few more plates. do i really need to buy a whole new olympic weight set?? i've never squatted or done heavy exercises with the standard bar/weights and dont know if its recommended or not.

for those that don't know the standard bar is a lot lighter (its around 20 lbs) than an olympic bar so that's why im wondering if it'll be ok to use for squats ...

A standard bar can hold at least 300 pounds without excessive flexing. It might be as much as 400 pounds, in fact. Unless you're going to be squatting in excess of that amount, you should be fine with the standard bar.

Sonny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sonny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sonny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sonny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sonny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sonny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sonny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sonny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sonny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sonny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sonny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Re: standard vs olympic weights/bar

From what I gather, standard bars can hold up to about 300-350 lbs. before they start to bend. I use standard bars mostly and they've gotten me pretty far, but if you can afford an Olympic set, I would definitely recommend getting one as it will give you more options in regards to gaining strength and increasing poundages. But if you're strapped for cash, a standard bar should be able to hold you over for a while.

Colt Steele has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    right now im squatting b/w 250-275, but i have been as high as 315 before ... but squat is my only exercise that would even approach 300-400 pounds so i guess i'd be fine there.

is it comfortable to do squats with a standard bar and that much weight?

Sonny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sonny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sonny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sonny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sonny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sonny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sonny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sonny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sonny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sonny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sonny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    right now im squatting b/w 250-275, but i have been as high as 315 before ... but squat is my only exercise that would even approach 300-400 pounds so i guess i'd be fine there.

is it comfortable to do squats with a standard bar and that much weight?
    Well the bar is a little thinner so you may want to wrap a towel around it so it doesn't pinch the hell out of your traps. Like I said, it should be able to handle 300+ lbs., but 400 may be pushing it. To play it safe I wouldn't go past 340!

Train smarter not harder amusclehead's Avatar
    amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    for some reason I hate deadlifting with an olympic bb, so for dead'ing I use a regular 15pd(or does it weigh 20pd, i dunno) chrome ez-bar (one that takes the small holded plates, not the large).....I've been as high as 550 on it and it hasn't begun to bend or anything. must be built solid for it to take that kinda abuse all these years.
    Booo

Soshyopathe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Soshyopathe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Soshyopathe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Soshyopathe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Soshyopathe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Soshyopathe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Soshyopathe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Soshyopathe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Soshyopathe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Deads with an EX-curl bar? Sounds a little silly, don't you think?

Train smarter not harder amusclehead's Avatar
    amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally posted by Soshyopathe
    Deads with an EX-curl bar? Sounds a little silly, don't you think?
    yea, but for some reason I hate deading with the olypmic bar. just some crazy thing going in my mind, i know, but hey, whatever works
    Booo

AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally posted by amusclehead
    yea, but for some reason I hate deading with the olypmic bar. just some crazy thing going in my mind, i know, but hey, whatever works
    No wonder you don't use an alternate grip. You don't have a big bar to balance.