camo1131 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Are crunches worth doing???

I hear alot on this site that the only way to get a cut midsection is to reduce overall total body fat, which I totally agree with. But I have even heard some comments that building abdominal muscles can even make the love handles even worse is appearence since all it does is push the subcutaneous fat out? So, in a fat loss regimine is it worth it to do the 200 crunches a day?

I dont believe in spot reduction either but it just seems like working that area would increase fat mobilization as well. No???

SOMEONE GIVE ME MOTIVATION TO DO CRUNCHES!!!!!

PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Re: Are crunches worth doing???

Originally posted by camo1131
    I hear alot on this site that the only way to get a cut midsection is to reduce overall total body fat, which I totally agree with. But I have even heard some comments that building abdominal muscles can even make the love handles even worse is appearence since all it does is push the subcutaneous fat out? So, in a fat loss regimine is it worth it to do the 200 crunches a day?

I dont believe in spot reduction either but it just seems like working that area would increase fat mobilization as well. No???

SOMEONE GIVE ME MOTIVATION TO DO CRUNCHES!!!!!
    Think about all the people who are in absolute misery because of back pain. Strong abs, as much as strong back muscles, are important in preventing back pain. That should be plenty of motivation.
    As far as appearance is concerned, well-developed abs might push out the fat a bit, but dropping some body fat will take care of things.

MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You can't spot-reduce fat (without local injections of prescription drugs), so get that concept out of your head right now. "Cut" abs come from low overall bodyfat. The first place fat goes on is the last place it comes off. There are no shortcuts or work-arounds (other than the pre-mentioned drugs). Massive amounts of crunches/leg lifts/sit-ups/etc are not going to give you magically cut abs. If you don't want "love handles", then diet smart and get rid of them.

As was mentioned, muscular strength and a stable, injury-resistant mid-section are adequate reasons to work your abs.

Regarding motivation, you have to learn to motivate yourself, or else you'll find yourself getting nowhere in life.
    aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Francis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Francis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Francis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Francis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Francis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Francis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Francis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Francis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Francis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Francis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Francis will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yep, strenghtening the abs to prevent injury is worth it. But you should work them out just like your other muscle groups: low-reps / high weight. So stop doing 200 and do 20 weighted ones instead.

Happy Building is a name known to all. (+5000) Happy Building is a name known to all. (+5000) Happy Building is a name known to all. (+5000) Happy Building is a name known to all. (+5000) Happy Building is a name known to all. (+5000) Happy Building is a name known to all. (+5000) Happy Building is a name known to all. (+5000) Happy Building is a name known to all. (+5000) Happy Building is a name known to all. (+5000) Happy Building is a name known to all. (+5000) Happy Building is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally posted by Francis
    Yep, strenghtening the abs to prevent injury is worth it. But you should work them out just like your other muscle groups: low-reps / high weight. So stop doing 200 and do 20 weighted ones instead.
    How can you do 200 crunches in 1 set?

camo1131 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

i dont do sets of 200

sorry if it sounded like that, 1 set= 20 traditional crunches straight up/down, 10 left oblique, 10 right oblique.

nubreed has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nubreed has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nubreed has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nubreed has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nubreed has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nubreed has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nubreed has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nubreed has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nubreed has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nubreed has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nubreed has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    If you're doing 200 crunches and don't have ripped abs then you might not be using proper form. Put your hands behind your head when doing crunches on an ab bench. Use a slow and controlled motion and remember to breathe.

This routine works for me:

(1.) Upper: 3x25 crunches on an decline ab bench
    (2.) Obliques: 3x25 oblique crunches on a mat
    (3.) Lower: 3x20 supinated hip thrusts on a mat

Half deadlifts and half front squats also work abs.