Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    jnskim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How much protein powder per day?

Hello, i'm new to this site and just wanna give a shout out to all the people helpin me answer this question in advance...i just bought the 100% optimal whey protein from body building.com...their scoops are 31 grams.

i'm 6"0 tall and 182 lbs and am 21 years old...i have muscle...underneath a bunch of fat. i'm trying to get in shape and make my body. i've been lookin all over the internet for how much of this whey protein i should take a day. they say for bodybuilders its 1 gram of protein per lb. of body weight. this sounds like WAYYY too much. i just want to know the amount for a guy like me, just trying get in shape and make my body...i hit the gym about four-five times a week right now and started beginning of last week. i lift weight for about thirty-forty minutes, then swim 20-40 laps in the pool depending how tired i am. i had three disk hernias my senior year of HS and was told not to run anymore so i swim. i started takin the protein powder yesterday, 1 scoop post-workout per day. is this too much or too little? i'm really paranoid of gaining more weight takin this whey protein. again, thx for all the help and info
    Last edited by jnskim; 09-22-2009 at 06:40 PM. Reason: swimming.

8footballQB is a name known to all. (+5000) 8footballQB is a name known to all. (+5000) 8footballQB is a name known to all. (+5000) 8footballQB is a name known to all. (+5000) 8footballQB is a name known to all. (+5000) 8footballQB is a name known to all. (+5000) 8footballQB is a name known to all. (+5000) 8footballQB is a name known to all. (+5000) 8footballQB is a name known to all. (+5000) 8footballQB is a name known to all. (+5000) 8footballQB is a name known to all. (+5000)
    one scoop postworkout is good. how much you take per day is all going to be based on your diet and how much protein you cant get through food that needs to be supplemented

WIllplaya89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WIllplaya89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WIllplaya89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WIllplaya89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WIllplaya89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WIllplaya89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WIllplaya89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WIllplaya89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WIllplaya89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WIllplaya89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WIllplaya89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by 8footballQB View Post
    one scoop postworkout is good. how much you take per day is all going to be based on your diet and how much protein you cant get through food that needs to be supplemented
    yeah this^^

usually 1-2 gram per lb of body weight for protein is what you want for total. But it all depends on what your doing.

optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by WIllplaya89 View Post
    yeah this^^

usually 1-2 gram per lb of body weight for protein is what you want for total. But it all depends on what your doing.
    I think it depends a LOT more on what your fat/muscle ratio is. I see that all the time, 1-2 grams of protein per lb of body weight. You realize that could be between 400-500 grams of protein a day for a average-weight guy right? That's an insane amount of protein, I don't know anyone bodybuilder or otherwise that consumes that much protein on a daily basis, and I actually think it would destroy your kidneys.

So the answer IMO is .75-1g of protein per lb of body weight. That means for a 200 pound guy you're consuming 150-200 g of protein a day. Even for someone that lifts 6-7 times a week, I cannot see any reason why 200g would not satisfy even the most ripped 200 pounder.

For the original question, hard to answer becasue you don't say how much is in that scoop, every product is different. You probably want to get 25-50 g of protein shake in the morning, and another 25-50 post workout. This depends on how much you get from your regular food. If you're trying to lose fat you should look into cutting sugars and carbs from your diet. Not to excess, but sugary cereals, sweets, sodas, etc are the worst. The protein powder shouldn't be a problem unless it's a really ****ty powder with lots of carbs in it.
    **Eat lots and lots of birds. The smaller the bird, the more compact its protein content. Parrots are great sources for protein.**

Mrsevenupguy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mrsevenupguy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mrsevenupguy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mrsevenupguy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mrsevenupguy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mrsevenupguy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mrsevenupguy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mrsevenupguy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by optimus1 View Post
    I think it depends a LOT more on what your fat/muscle ratio is. I see that all the time, 1-2 grams of protein per lb of body weight. You realize that could be between 400-500 grams of protein a day for a average-weight guy right? That's an insane amount of protein, I don't know anyone bodybuilder or otherwise that consumes that much protein on a daily basis, and I actually think it would destroy your kidneys.

So the answer IMO is .75-1g of protein per lb of body weight. That means for a 200 pound guy you're consuming 150-200 g of protein a day. Even for someone that lifts 6-7 times a week, I cannot see any reason why 200g would not satisfy even the most ripped 200 pounder.

For the original question, hard to answer becasue you don't say how much is in that scoop, every product is different. You probably want to get 25-50 g of protein shake in the morning, and another 25-50 post workout. This depends on how much you get from your regular food. If you're trying to lose fat you should look into cutting sugars and carbs from your diet. Not to excess, but sugary cereals, sweets, sodas, etc are the worst. The protein powder shouldn't be a problem unless it's a really ****ty powder with lots of carbs in it.
    wrong

WIllplaya89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WIllplaya89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WIllplaya89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WIllplaya89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WIllplaya89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WIllplaya89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WIllplaya89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WIllplaya89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WIllplaya89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WIllplaya89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WIllplaya89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Mrsevenupguy View Post
    wrong
    thank you.

optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    wrong
    You must sell supplements.
    **Eat lots and lots of birds. The smaller the bird, the more compact its protein content. Parrots are great sources for protein.**

Mrsevenupguy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mrsevenupguy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mrsevenupguy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mrsevenupguy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mrsevenupguy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mrsevenupguy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mrsevenupguy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mrsevenupguy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    You must sell supplements.
    you must read alot of fitness magazines.

If you are working out 4 times a week on average you need 1.5 - 2 grams per lb nice picture by the way

thank you.
    It's an urban myth promoted by the supplement companies. Give me a single peer-reviewed medical study that suggests anything close to 2g protein/lb of body weight is needed or even healthy, and I'll change my tune. There may be a small elite number of bodybuilders that benefit from that but the average weight lifter? No ****ing way.

you must read alot of fitness magazines.

If you are working out 4 times a week on average you need 1.5 - 2 grams per lb nice picture by the way
    Nice, from someone that doesn't even put a pic up.

Here's a daily protein calculator from an actual medical school. At highest level "very active" for a large framed adult male they recommend 125g. I have yet to see any medical study actually suggest 1.5 to 2g/lb of body weight is healthy or that the body can even absorb that much unless you're eating through the night.

http://www.healthcalculators.org/cal...rs/protein.asp

Here's a daily protein calculator from an actual medical school. At highest level "very active" for a large framed adult male they recommend 125g. I have yet to see any medical study actually suggest 1.5 to 2g/lb of body weight is healthy or that the body can even absorb that much unless you're eating through the night.

is that a joke LOL

aliquis will become famous soon enough. (+50) aliquis will become famous soon enough. (+50) aliquis will become famous soon enough. (+50) aliquis will become famous soon enough. (+50) aliquis will become famous soon enough. (+50) aliquis will become famous soon enough. (+50) aliquis will become famous soon enough. (+50) aliquis will become famous soon enough. (+50) aliquis will become famous soon enough. (+50) aliquis will become famous soon enough. (+50) aliquis will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    1 gram / lbs is from all the protein in your diet, and you probably don't need as much, 0.7 or so would probably be enough to.

You don't need to supplement with it at all but can supplement if you want more protein / eat to little of it.

And dry it would last long, if you put water or milk on it not so long.

mikevall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikevall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikevall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikevall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikevall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikevall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikevall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikevall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikevall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikevall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikevall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

haha i seen this jay cutler vid on youtube i think its called mass building meals?? check it out but anyway he eats a **** LOAD of protein, probly like 5-6 protein shakes, 12 eggs in the morning 2 steaks next meal, a whole salmon next meal, chicken or somthing, it has to be at least 500+
    Shred now or 5ever hold your peas

jnskim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    no need to flame each other, all opinions are welcome...i've been considering increasing my protein intake to one scoops a day even on the days i don't workout...will this cause weight gain problems? takin protein on a day i don't work out? also, my daily diet is usually an apple and cereal bar or fruit cups and cereal bar, lunch is usually a sandwich or a chipotle burrito...dinner is usually home cooked korean food like tofu dishes, hotpots, korean bbq...that i would say is relatively healthy cause my mom is all bout organic foods and whatnot...

Originally Posted by mikevall View Post
    haha i seen this jay cutler vid on youtube i think its called mass building meals?? check it out but anyway he eats a **** LOAD of protein, probly like 5-6 protein shakes, 12 eggs in the morning 2 steaks next meal, a whole salmon next meal, chicken or somthing, it has to be at least 500+
    Ok, so you're recommending that some guy that just started working out should eat anything close to Jay:

http://yepyep.gibbs12.com/wp-content...rejudging2.jpg

As I said, an elite few.

aliquis will become famous soon enough. (+50) aliquis will become famous soon enough. (+50) aliquis will become famous soon enough. (+50) aliquis will become famous soon enough. (+50) aliquis will become famous soon enough. (+50) aliquis will become famous soon enough. (+50) aliquis will become famous soon enough. (+50) aliquis will become famous soon enough. (+50) aliquis will become famous soon enough. (+50) aliquis will become famous soon enough. (+50) aliquis will become famous soon enough. (+50)

is that a joke LOL
    I don't remember the exact numbers and can't find some summary of the various studies which has been done on the protein needs for athletes but I think it has been suggest from 1.4 or maybe 1.2 gram / kg and day upwards 1.7 or 2.2 or something such?

So no, noone of them would say that 1.5-2 gram of protein / lbs would be needed. At most 1.

Yeah, and what Cutler eats in video must be what he normally eats, and what he normally eats must be why he's so huge. Also his protein metabolism is most likely just like mine and yours!

Cable cross + muscletech == freaking huge!
    Last edited by aliquis; 09-22-2009 at 07:33 PM.

beer n brats has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) beer n brats has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) beer n brats has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) beer n brats has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) beer n brats has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) beer n brats has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) beer n brats has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) beer n brats has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) beer n brats has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) beer n brats has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) beer n brats has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    much as you need or want to take. forget all this stick to solid food stuff. get your protein anyway you can.

Originally Posted by aliquis View Post
    I don't remember the exact numbers and can't find some summary of the various studies which has been done on the protein needs for athletes but I think it has been suggest from 1.4 or maybe 1.2 gram / kg and day upwards 1.7 or 2.2 or something such?

So no, noone of them would say that 1.5-2 gram of protein / lbs would be needed. At most 1.
    Yeah, the kg/lb confusion is probably one of the things that started this myth.

Hogwash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hogwash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hogwash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hogwash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hogwash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hogwash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hogwash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hogwash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hogwash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hogwash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hogwash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Lets get on the subject called a "PRACTICE" Doc.
    Why do I do this, live with the constant pain, the suffering, the sacrifice? Why? Because I can. Because pain tells me I?m awake. Reminds me I?m alive. Who am I? I am the wrecker of steel. I am the crusher of mediocrity. I am the face of destiny. I am................... Chaos

mikevall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikevall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikevall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikevall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikevall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikevall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikevall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikevall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikevall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikevall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikevall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Ok, so you're recommending that some guy that just started working out should eat anything close to Jay:

http://yepyep.gibbs12.com/wp-content...rejudging2.jpg

As I said, an elite few.
    I didnt say that? That would be stupid, i doubt he can even finish half of jays daily food intake and besides hes on roids...

In ur first post u said this...............see that all the time, 1-2 grams of protein per lb of body weight. You realize that could be between 400-500 grams of protein a day for a average-weight guy right? That's an insane amount of protein, I don't know anyone bodybuilder or otherwise that consumes that much protein on a daily basis, and I actually think it would destroy your kidneys.

Originally Posted by jnskim View Post
    i've been considering increasing my protein intake to one scoops a day even on the days i don't workout...will this cause weight gain problems?
    You get fat from eating too much. Supplementing with protein got nothing to do with that, unless the protein is what puts you over.

carinishead will become famous soon enough. (+50) carinishead will become famous soon enough. (+50) carinishead will become famous soon enough. (+50) carinishead will become famous soon enough. (+50) carinishead will become famous soon enough. (+50) carinishead will become famous soon enough. (+50) carinishead will become famous soon enough. (+50) carinishead will become famous soon enough. (+50) carinishead will become famous soon enough. (+50) carinishead will become famous soon enough. (+50) carinishead will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    He's also juicing which requires a much higher caloric/protein load.

But yes, a medical calculator would say less than 1g because the average an athletic person would need is less than that. However, hardcore bodybuilders are a different breed and generally require more of everything. Don't wanna get all brosciency, but I know plenty of people who weren't making the progress they wanted and an increase in protein intake was all it took to get them where they wanted to be (also more calories, obv).

Originally Posted by aliquis View Post
    Yeah, and what Cutler eats in video must be what he normally eats, and what he normally eats must be why he's so huge. Also his protein metabolism is most likely just like mine and yours!

Cable cross + muscletech == freaking huge!
    he was going through a bulking phase in the vid if u search it, he said he just switches to like more whole wheat rices n such, i think he keeps the protein intake tho.

Originally Posted by carinishead View Post
    He's also juicing which requires a much higher caloric/protein load.

But yes, a medical calculator would say less than 1g because the average an athletic person would need is less than that. However, hardcore bodybuilders are a different breed and generally require more of everything. Don't wanna get all brosciency, but I know plenty of people who weren't making the progress they wanted and an increase in protein intake was all it took to get them where they wanted to be (also more calories, obv).
    i agree

I didnt say that? That would be stupid, i doubt he can even finish half of jays daily food intake and besides hes on roids...

In ur first post u said this...............see that all the time, 1-2 grams of protein per lb of body weight. You realize that could be between 400-500 grams of protein a day for a average-weight guy right? That's an insane amount of protein, I don't know anyone bodybuilder or otherwise that consumes that much protein on a daily basis, and I actually think it would destroy your kidneys.
    Yeah, if all we're talking is kidney health, I suppose Jay is a testament 500+ grams and getting away with it.

first off you do not need 2g per day everyday. but when on cycles yes, 1.5-2g is about where you would want to be, and yes it is very easily possible. I can get 100g of protein from breakfast alone, not including my other 3 meals and 2 weight gainers I take when bulking. It is easy. and tell me please, How does natural food, destroy your kidneys?

Yeah, the kg/lb confusion is probably one of the things that started this myth.
    I live in Sweden and here many would say 3-4 gram / kg so I doubt it. Though as you say the science would rather say 1.2/(1.4?)-1.7/(2.2?) or something such.

Of course if you use steroids and such maybe you can benefit from using even more, and maybe also if you cut. Or in the case of the pros if you do all of that + got freak genetics.

I think people miss the point when they see the protein as a resource and building blocks of their future muscle rather than stimulants for protein synthesis. The body break down a lot of muscle tissue every day and hopefully rebuilds it all to. The amino acids used for that is mostly the ones previously broken down though. On top of that you need some more and the one researching how little you could use without getting a deficiency came to the conclusion that you needed 0.2 gram / kg bodyweight, he doubled that for safety to 0.4. Then WHO took that number and doubled it for safety again, into the 0.8 gram and day recommendation for normal people. Now if you are an athlete and go for ONLY 1.6 gram / day you will still have doubled that once again ...

You should be ****ing happy if you can even put on 5 gram of additional muscle protein every day, that would still be 1.825 kg of protein / year which at around 20% protein in muscle would equal 9.125 kg muscle in a year!

So well, rather obvious you don't really need 150-200 gram extra protein to cover that 5 gram need. But then I assume a higher protein intake atleast up to some level can increase the bodys chance to end up on a surplus, but most will obviously be used for other things, most likely energy at high intakes.

Anyway then one could see the protein intake as a reason for the body to raise protein synthesis, not as actual building blocks, and in that case the method used to get that increase would be more important than to actually provide the protein needed. Hence rather good training and fast protein such as EAAs to spikes amino acid content and raise protein synthesis rather than just putting in a lot of protein all the time which will just be burnt of as expensive energy anyway.

BBmisc420196 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BBmisc420196 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BBmisc420196 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BBmisc420196 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BBmisc420196 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BBmisc420196 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BBmisc420196 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BBmisc420196 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BBmisc420196 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BBmisc420196 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BBmisc420196 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    1-1.5 is fine. This includes food throughout the whole day and shakes of course OP.

I really hope you dont go by this. For example it says I should take in a MINIMUM of 130g a day. It doesnt take into account weight or muscle mass at all lol. Doesnt even mention bodybuilding just "activity level". For the top level it says for people who are active and play sports..... I cant see how you can read that and think for a second that it applys to bodybuilding. Furthermore I dont see how you can read that and see that ir recommends a minimum of 130g for someone my height, regardless of muscle mass, and then find 1g per lb of body-weight far fetched.
    “The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.”
    ~Mikhail Bakunin

How does natural food, destroy your kidneys?
    Stupid question. I can probably find lots of plants which can destroy your kidneys. And you can kill yourself from drinking too much water to.

Who knows if it's safe to go for 3-4 gram of protein / kg bw for a whole life? If nothing else maybe it's bad if you happen to already have some condition with them. And if it doesn't provide an additional benefit why do it?

But no, doubt there is any problems whatsoever with a more normal 2 gram / kg or so.