24/7 Customer Service 1-866-236-8417 Need Help? 1-866-236-8417

Gomi has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Gomi has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Gomi has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Gomi has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Gomi has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Gomi has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Gomi has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Gomi has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Gomi has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Gomi has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Gomi has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit Gomi's BodySpace

Ideas for hanging a heavy bag from the garage ceiling

Just got a 100lb heavy bag but i'm having issues hanging it. the beams in my roof i dont believe are strong enough to support it. i'm trying not to hang it off the wall also and dont want a bag stand. you cant move around it.

ideas?

what have you guys done before, do you guys have heavy bags in your garages hanging from the ceiling?
    "I would fight anyone of the UFC LW's, but the problem is that I will never put my foot in the octagon after they (UFC) tried to be funny, I would rather have bleeding hemorrhoids than fight for the UFC. I would rather have one true Japanese MMA supporter than one million fake mainstream supporters that will turn their back on you as soon as you lose a fight. - Joachim Hansen

I would feel like a coward, like Im running away, - Mirko Crocop on moving to the 205lb LHW division

fapping wilst on knees beaucephus's Avatar
    Stats: 6'3", 275 lbs
    beaucephus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) beaucephus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) beaucephus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) beaucephus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) beaucephus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) beaucephus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) beaucephus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) beaucephus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) beaucephus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) beaucephus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) beaucephus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit beaucephus's BodySpace
    You're going to have to run a 2x4 across several of the beams and hang it from that.
    10k+
    *Misc Entrepreneur Crew* http://bbcom.me/1jcHX2G
    ivetx.com - jobs for veterans
    talentwhale.com - jobs for everyone else

Stats: 6'0", 137 lbs
    TylerManning is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TylerManning is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TylerManning is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TylerManning is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TylerManning is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TylerManning is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TylerManning is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TylerManning is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TylerManning is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TylerManning is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TylerManning is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Visit TylerManning's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by Gomi View Post
    Just got a 100lb heavy bag but i'm having issues hanging it. the beams in my roof i dont believe are strong enough to support it. i'm trying not to hang it off the wall also and dont want a bag stand. you cant move around it.

ideas?

what have you guys done before, do you guys have heavy bags in your garages hanging from the ceiling?
    buy a rope find a tree lol, thats what i do with mine.
    "the good die young, the great die fighting" me

Gomi has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Gomi has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Gomi has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Gomi has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Gomi has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Gomi has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Gomi has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Gomi has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Gomi has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Gomi has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Gomi has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit Gomi's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by TylerManning View Post
    buy a rope find a tree lol, thats what i do with mine.
    man if i had a big tree in my yard i wouldnt ask lol
    "I would fight anyone of the UFC LW's, but the problem is that I will never put my foot in the octagon after they (UFC) tried to be funny, I would rather have bleeding hemorrhoids than fight for the UFC. I would rather have one true Japanese MMA supporter than one million fake mainstream supporters that will turn their back on you as soon as you lose a fight. - Joachim Hansen

I would feel like a coward, like Im running away, - Mirko Crocop on moving to the 205lb LHW division

Visit Gomi's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by beaucephus View Post
    You're going to have to run a 2x4 across several of the beams and hang it from that.
    probably means i'd have to cut a hole in the ceiling?

Stats: 6'0", 205 lbs
    BodyPoints: 5
    jdare77 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jdare77 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jdare77 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jdare77 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jdare77 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jdare77 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jdare77 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jdare77 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jdare77 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jdare77 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jdare77 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit jdare77's BodySpace

ideas?

Just don't do it, unless you are very familiar with the construction of your roof. Most roofing beams are made to flex in both directions and adding weight inhibits that flextion. Unless you really don't care about your house (or you are renting) it's just a bad idea.

Even 100 pounds could wreck havoc on your roof.....how do I know? I ask the superindendent who build my house about it, and he gave me a 30min run down on why I shouldnt..

If you live in a climate that doesn't have tempature swings from winter to summer you might be alright....just afix two-by fours accross the beams (on top) in the attic and screw into those beams...
    Rep military on sight
    Rep bikers on sight

Visit Gomi's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by jdare77 View Post
    Just don't do it, unless you are very familiar with the construction of your roof. Most roofing beams are made to flex in both directions and adding weight inhibits that flextion. Unless you really don't care about your house (or you are renting) it's just a bad idea.

Even 100 pounds could wreck havoc on your roof.....how do I know? I ask the superindendent who build my house about it, and he gave me a 30min run down on why I shouldnt..

If you live in a climate that doesn't have tempature swings from winter to summer you might be alright....just afix two-by fours accross the beams (on top) in the attic and screw into those beams...
    i guess i meant bolt into the studs running across the inside of the ceiling to hang from, in the attic, not the actual roof. the beams dont look very strong, thats why i'm wondering how to do it. i always hung a bag from outside, but that was a different house and this house has no tree or wide 8x10 beam that i hung a bag from before.

Stats: 6'0", 205 lbs
    BodyPoints: 5
    jdare77 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jdare77 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jdare77 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jdare77 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jdare77 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jdare77 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jdare77 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jdare77 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jdare77 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jdare77 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jdare77 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit jdare77's BodySpace
    i guess i meant bolt into the studs running across the inside of the ceiling to hang from, in the attic, not the actual roof. the beams dont look very strong, thats why i'm wondering how to do it. i always hung a bag from outside, but that was a different house and this house has no tree or wide 8x10 beam that i hung a bag from before.
    Those studs are exactly what I am talking about...they support the roof in a geometric pattern (triangle in most cases) where the bottom part of the triangle (studs) flex.

I was thinkinga bout it a little bit and you probably could just use something to distribute the weight a little bit and it would probably do a good job if you are not worried about damaging it. If you have acces to the area above your garage (should be a service entrance) get a sheet of plywood, bolt two 2X4's to the plywood, and put that in your roof accross the beams, if you dont want to cut through the sheet rock on the top, then secure the board to a couple of the studs and just bolt straight into the studs, it should hold it, and spread the weight between 5 or 6 beams...
    Rep military on sight
    Rep bikers on sight

Visit Gomi's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by jdare77 View Post
    Those studs are exactly what I am talking about...they support the roof in a geometric pattern (triangle in most cases) where the bottom part of the triangle (studs) flex.

I was thinkinga bout it a little bit and you probably could just use something to distribute the weight a little bit and it would probably do a good job if you are not worried about damaging it. If you have acces to the area above your garage (should be a service entrance) get a sheet of plywood, bolt two 2X4's to the plywood, and put that in your roof accross the beams, if you dont want to cut through the sheet rock on the top, then secure the board to a couple of the studs and just bolt straight into the studs, it should hold it, and spread the weight between 5 or 6 beams...
    im trying to picture what your talking about - you dont have any kind of a diagram do you?

www.strikersunion.com rednecksamurai's Avatar
    Stats: 5'8", 195 lbs
    rednecksamurai has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rednecksamurai has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rednecksamurai has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rednecksamurai has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rednecksamurai has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rednecksamurai has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rednecksamurai has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rednecksamurai has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rednecksamurai has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rednecksamurai has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rednecksamurai has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit rednecksamurai's BodySpace
    Carpenter for 19 years here.

if you have sheet rock on your ceiling then just run a 2x6 across 3 of the rafters, use about 4 screws on each rafter, install your bag hanger using 4 or 5 inch lags. make sure that your lags go through the 2by you installed and the rafter above.

Trust me boxing off one of your rafters will not destroy your house.

you will have to have some sheet rock repair after you remove it. but other than the sheet rock the bag should be just fine hanging like this.
    Last edited by rednecksamurai; 09-22-2009 at 06:08 AM.
    Refuse to be a dead Emperor.

Web site is finally up!

"You have the rest of your life to solve your problems.. How long you live
    depends on how well you do it."

Stats: 6'3", 205 lbs
    Rifter has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rifter has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rifter has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rifter has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rifter has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rifter has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rifter has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rifter has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rifter has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rifter has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rifter has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit Rifter's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by rednecksamurai View Post

if you have sheet rock on your ceiling then just run a 2x6 across 3 of the rafters, use about 4 screws on each rafter, install your bag hanger using 4 or 5 inch lags. make sure that your lags go through the 2by you installed and the rafter above.

you will have to have some sheet rock repair after you remove it. but other than the sheet rock the bag should be just fine hanging like this.
    TRUE THIS.

What works great for me is hang a spring hook. It's like the one that holds garage doors but smaller. you can buy it at Everlast. This reduces the strain on the anchor.
    Veni Vidi Vici

I throw spinning sh*t HardGainer82's Avatar
    BodyPoints: 19235
    HardGainer82 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) HardGainer82 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) HardGainer82 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) HardGainer82 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) HardGainer82 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) HardGainer82 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) HardGainer82 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) HardGainer82 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) HardGainer82 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) HardGainer82 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) HardGainer82 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit HardGainer82's BodySpace
    That sounds like a lot of work when you can buy a bag stand for like $100...but then again maybe I'm just jealous because my garage was built by morons and I'm lucky the beams support the roof, let alone extra weight.
    "The sun is always gonna rise, and always gonna set and I'll just keep on punching because everyday is gonna bring something different and I just want to be ready for it."
    - Jens Pulver

If you refer to a fighter who you've never met in real life as "my boy" as though their performance somehow reflects well on you for simply being a fan, you're a lame ass.

Stats: 5'9", 175 lbs
    timmytimm3 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) timmytimm3 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) timmytimm3 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) timmytimm3 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) timmytimm3 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) timmytimm3 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) timmytimm3 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) timmytimm3 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) timmytimm3 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) timmytimm3 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) timmytimm3 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit timmytimm3's BodySpace
    im trying to picture what your talking about - you dont have any kind of a diagram do you?
    They're called trusses and look like this:

Originally Posted by rednecksamurai View Post

Exactly. 100 lbs bag isn't going to collapse your roof. What do you think a foot of snow weights?
    No more. the small one, the weak one, the frightened one. Running from beatings, deflating. I'm becoming more than a man, more than you ever were. Driven and burning to rise beyond Jesus. -Pantera

Stats: 6'1", 210 lbs
    BodyPoints: 32
    Clark_Kent has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Clark_Kent has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Clark_Kent has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Clark_Kent has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Clark_Kent has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Clark_Kent has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Clark_Kent has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Clark_Kent has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Clark_Kent has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Clark_Kent has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Clark_Kent has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit Clark_Kent's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by timmytimm3 View Post
    What do you think a foot of snow weights?
    95lbs?

Registered User mophatthedamaja's Avatar
    Stats: 6'0", 219 lbs
    BodyPoints: 76
    mophatthedamaja has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mophatthedamaja has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mophatthedamaja has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mophatthedamaja has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mophatthedamaja has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mophatthedamaja has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mophatthedamaja has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mophatthedamaja has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mophatthedamaja has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mophatthedamaja has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mophatthedamaja has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit mophatthedamaja's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by beaucephus View Post
    this is what i did
    reps for life
    TOMaHULK

Visit Gomi's BodySpace
    this is what i ultimately wanted to do. i still might try it but have to figure out how it'll work. my garage is set up exactly like this, including where the attic is in proportion to where the door is.

and i have the same shop vac too lulz

i did end up getting a bag stand but its just not the same as a free hanging bag.
    Last edited by Gomi; 12-31-2009 at 09:20 PM.