smallasian721 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smallasian721 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smallasian721 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smallasian721 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smallasian721 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smallasian721 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smallasian721 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smallasian721 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smallasian721 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smallasian721 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smallasian721 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Does Carb Cycling work?

Well, I kind of want to do a recomposition diet. I'm about 143 pounds (ignore the stats, they are old) right now, and I need to get under 139 pounds for the weightlifting team... but I also really want to lose some fat, gain a little (or at least keep what I have) muscle, and get a six pack (something I've wanted forever.)

I did some research on carb cycling, and it seems really interesting- eat higher carbs and above maintenance on heavy workout days, low carbs other days, and no carbs and low calories on off days....

So theoretically, it would let you gain muscle and lose fat at the same time.

My question is: does it work? Has anyone here tried it and gotten good results with it?

lauhpurush is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lauhpurush is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lauhpurush is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lauhpurush is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lauhpurush is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lauhpurush is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lauhpurush is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lauhpurush is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lauhpurush is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lauhpurush is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lauhpurush is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    carb cycling worked for me really well...i lost a great amount of fat while i was on it..

but the very fact that managing a carb cycling diet is a pain in the *** made me give up after a month....nevertheless i did notice good results during that one month...on the low carb days, u wil initially feel fatigued and de energised, but gradually u will get used to it....u need patience for it

SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SumDumGoi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by smallasian721 View Post
    Well, I kind of want to do a recomposition diet. I'm about 143 pounds (ignore the stats, they are old) right now, and I need to get under 139 pounds for the weightlifting team... but I also really want to lose some fat, gain a little (or at least keep what I have) muscle, and get a six pack (something I've wanted forever.)

I did some research on carb cycling, and it seems really interesting- eat higher carbs and above maintenance on heavy workout days, low carbs other days, and no carbs and low calories on off days....

My question is: does it work? Has anyone here tried it and gotten good results with it?

There is no need to try and make something simple difficult. Just focus on eating a healthy diet. Increasing carbs one day and decreasing them on another is not going to give any better results than just eating a normal nutritious diet.

lauhpurush is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lauhpurush is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lauhpurush is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lauhpurush is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lauhpurush is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lauhpurush is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lauhpurush is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lauhpurush is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lauhpurush is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lauhpurush is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lauhpurush is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by SumDumGoi View Post
    There is no need to try and make something simple difficult. Just focus on eating a healthy diet. Increasing carbs one day and decreasing them on another is not going to give any better results than just eating a normal nutritious diet.
    i have read a lot of your posts concerning nutrition and I respect your vast expanse of knowledge in this field...but trust me, while i was on carb cycling I lost a great deal of fat...my BF% dropped down from 15 to 11.3% ..of course it was accompanied by high intensity cardio and weightlifting...

now i am taking a very healthy balanced nutritious diet , i dont cycle the carbs, but the net intake over the week (of carbs) is same as while I was on a carb cycle...i can feel a standstill, i mean no progress...i would revert to carb cycling if i feel the need to lose more fat or lose weight ....

I admit I am a novice in this field but my experience so far has been quite good with carb cycling...

determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by lauhpurush View Post
    of course it was accompanied by high intensity cardio and weightlifting...
    this is the reason
    Along with a small calorie deficit

Has little to do wtih carbs except that due to lower carbs you are taking in less calories
    If you were to cut out 2TBSP of PB (200cals) or 3/4c of pasta (200cals) you would see the same thing
    Founder of MMDELAD
    "Micros Matter Dont Eat Like A Dumba**" (hydrogenated oils, shortening, mono and di-glycerides don't fit in my macros)

Does Not Count Macros Crew

"Think in terms of limits and the result is limitation
    Think in terms of progress and the result is progression"

my day:http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156294333

Training Philosophy to be strong: 1. Pick Weights up off the ground 2. Squat them 3. Push them over your head

Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Carb cycling's awesome. Highly recommend it.

I do my high days on and before my leg day (to build up some energy and not crash out half way through that workout), moderates on my chest day and back day and shoulder day, and low days on things like arm day and abs/calves/traps etc.

I don't do no carb though. I would die lol I need a lil sumthin sumthin for my job anyway. I'm like brain dead on 0g carbs lol

But yeah, i drop fat pretty good, and maintain/build muscle and maintain/increase strength in the gym. I stay within 9-9.5% b.f without even doin much cardio.

On the lower carb days, i increase my protein to accommodate a bit.
    advertising/self-promotion not permitted

KurtyJ99 is a complete loser! (-2000) KurtyJ99 is a complete loser! (-2000) KurtyJ99 is a complete loser! (-2000) KurtyJ99 is a complete loser! (-2000) KurtyJ99 is a complete loser! (-2000) KurtyJ99 is a complete loser! (-2000) KurtyJ99 is a complete loser! (-2000) KurtyJ99 is a complete loser! (-2000) KurtyJ99 is a complete loser! (-2000) KurtyJ99 is a complete loser! (-2000) KurtyJ99 is a complete loser! (-2000)

Nah it doesn't quite work like that.

6 low days followed by a really high day then repeat

Crypticult has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crypticult has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crypticult has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crypticult has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crypticult has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crypticult has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crypticult has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by KurtyJ99 View Post
    Nah it doesn't quite work like that.

6 low days followed by a really high day then repeat
    You're talking about a CKD. He's talking about a carb cycling diet where you eat usually 2 high carb days, 2-3 low carb days, and 2-3 no carb days. On the high carb days you eat higher calories, low at medium cals, no at low cals. Depending on your goals you can make it a surplus or a deficit. So far it's worked well for me, my quads are a lot more cut now compared to two or three weeks ago.

N@tural1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) N@tural1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) N@tural1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) N@tural1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) N@tural1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) N@tural1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) N@tural1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) N@tural1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) N@tural1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) N@tural1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) N@tural1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by lauhpurush View Post
    i have read a lot of your posts concerning nutrition and I respect your vast expanse of knowledge in this field...but trust me, while i was on carb cycling I lost a great deal of fat...my BF% dropped down from 15 to 11.3% ..of course it was accompanied by high intensity cardio and weightlifting...

now i am taking a very healthy balanced nutritious diet , i dont cycle the carbs, but the net intake over the week (of carbs) is same as while I was on a carb cycle...i can feel a standstill, i mean no progress...i would revert to carb cycling if i feel the need to lose more fat or lose weight ....

I admit I am a novice in this field but my experience so far has been quite good with carb cycling...
    And this is where hands on experience by people such as yourself that ACTUALLY TRAIN is superior to pure academic head knowledge with zero experience.

KurtyJ99 is a complete loser! (-2000) KurtyJ99 is a complete loser! (-2000) KurtyJ99 is a complete loser! (-2000) KurtyJ99 is a complete loser! (-2000) KurtyJ99 is a complete loser! (-2000) KurtyJ99 is a complete loser! (-2000) KurtyJ99 is a complete loser! (-2000) KurtyJ99 is a complete loser! (-2000) KurtyJ99 is a complete loser! (-2000) KurtyJ99 is a complete loser! (-2000) KurtyJ99 is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Originally Posted by Crypticult View Post
    You're talking about a CKD. He's talking about a carb cycling diet where you eat usually 2 high carb days, 2-3 low carb days, and 2-3 no carb days. On the high carb days you eat higher calories, low at medium cals, no at low cals. Depending on your goals you can make it a surplus or a deficit. So far it's worked well for me, my quads are a lot more cut now compared to two or three weeks ago.
    This is a mistake, don't lower cals. Just change your macros.

This is how bodybuilders diet.

wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Carb cycling works as well as any other diet with the same avarage amount of carbs.
    And as well as any other diet with enough protein and calories adjusted to the same rate of weight change.
    How to lose fat for Noobs: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=129247741

I agree....do not lower the calories.. on days of low carbs, get your protein intake 'up' to compensate for the reduced calories...would help with muscle maintenance , if not muscle gain...

but i sometimes used to lower my calories....gave me the feeling that my body wasnt getting used to the similiar intake daily....my goal was bf% reduction and fat loss so i had to avoid the plateau...i loved keeping my body in the guessing state...worked for me, maybe psychologically

and i would recommend going for low carb days ( >=50 gms) in stead of zero or'no' carb days...

BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

i'm no expert on this area, but i think of particular importance (the main idea) is simply if you're training more on certain days, eat more, if you're training less on other days, eat less on those days. good luck and train hard.
    barbell1.com - home of The Barbell1 Show - the only 5 day/wk Online Radio on building muscle
    Listened to in 171 Countries, Downloaded 1.3 million X in 2014-15
    Get it free on iTunes and Stitcher Radio for your mobile device!

About me:
    MS in Sports Dietetics
    Registered Dietitian
    BS in ESS
    NSCA Certified Personal Trainer

Crypticult has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crypticult has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crypticult has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crypticult has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crypticult has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crypticult has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crypticult has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I'm going by Twin Peak's Carb Cycling diet (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/par30.htm)
    His point is that on no carb days if you're not lifting then you don't need as many calories, so you lower them. I'm not saying it's right, just giving information.

Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Crypticult View Post
    I'm going by Twin Peak's Carb Cycling diet (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/par30.htm)
    His point is that on no carb days if you're not lifting then you don't need as many calories, so you lower them. I'm not saying it's right, just giving information.
    Yeah some people do that, it's alright.

Gotta keep in mind though your energy for the next day's workout too though. A lot of people come off low/no carb days feeling flat during the next day's workout. If one keeps the calories the same, yet plays around with the macros (like say increases protein and fat to make up the lack of the carb calories), they often feel a lot better in the gym.

Cos just because you aren't lifting that day, doesn't mean your body doesn't need those calories.
    advertising/self-promotion not permitted