IzzyW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

need some guidance

Hello everyone, as you probably know by my posting here, im another new guy with questions. I don't currently have a workout plan, but that is what I am working on. I'm in halfway decent shape, though a bit overweight. I haven't been able to take any measurements yet so I can't tell you my bodyfat and all that. I'm still looking around, and yes I am reading the stickies, but would like any guidance to help steer me in the right direction. Basically what I want to do is lose some weight, I am 245 and would like to get down to around 220, which is just an estimate until I calculate my bodyfat. I would like to get that down to about 8-10%. Right now I am looking at a routine that I found on here that seems to be good for what I want, I don't want to be huge, but more athletic type fit. It involves doing hiit on even days, which for me will be running/sprints type stuff, and weight training on odd days. my main question is some guidance on the weight training for someone who has not done much at all with weights. I apologize for rambling on a bit, but I'm fairly new at this and want to get off to the right start.
    Thanks

SubTerran is on a distinguished road. (+10) SubTerran is on a distinguished road. (+10) SubTerran is on a distinguished road. (+10) SubTerran is on a distinguished road. (+10) SubTerran is on a distinguished road. (+10) SubTerran is on a distinguished road. (+10) SubTerran is on a distinguished road. (+10) SubTerran is on a distinguished road. (+10) SubTerran is on a distinguished road. (+10) SubTerran is on a distinguished road. (+10) SubTerran is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by IzzyW View Post
    Hello everyone, as you probably know by my posting here, im another new guy with questions. I don't currently have a workout plan, but that is what I am working on. I'm in halfway decent shape, though a bit overweight. I haven't been able to take any measurements yet so I can't tell you my bodyfat and all that. I'm still looking around, and yes I am reading the stickies, but would like any guidance to help steer me in the right direction. Basically what I want to do is lose some weight, I am 245 and would like to get down to around 220, which is just an estimate until I calculate my bodyfat. I would like to get that down to about 8-10%. Right now I am looking at a routine that I found on here that seems to be good for what I want, I don't want to be huge, but more athletic type fit. It involves doing hiit on even days, which for me will be running/sprints type stuff, and weight training on odd days. my main question is some guidance on the weight training for someone who has not done much at all with weights. I apologize for rambling on a bit, but I'm fairly new at this and want to get off to the right start.
    Thanks

I wouldnt worry about being huge just yet, at 6,2 and 245pounds, I'd guess you are fairly overweight, and have a good 35 pounds of fat to lose, which is in itself is a serious feat. I'd focus on having 3-4 lifting days, and 1 cardio day. You want to develop your muscles as much as you can (since you mentioned that you never really lifted before) since having more muscle mass will allow you to burn more calories in a day, which in turn will lead to losing weight. And focus on your diet, cut out saturated fats, stop eating carbs after 6pm, and keep yourself in a small calorie deficit.
    So this way you wont have to do anything radical, but you will see a gradual stable progress of toning out and slowly losing bodyfat. Just dont starve yourself in an effort to lose weight, all you'll do is crash your metabolism.
    HIT workouts are great but I dont think they are ideal for someone just starting out in lifting, so I'd leave them be and focus on regular cardio thats easy on the joints like elliptical.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Looks at N@tural1's beginner routine in the sticky thread

Basically, it revolves around doing the fundamental compound lifts to maintain muscle while you lose weight.

Decide on your target weight, e.g. you might want to be 180lbs and ripped...

Fat loss: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=113693871

Once you get below your target weight (at this point you may not be 'ripped' because you still have too much fat and too little muscle), have a look at this diet protocol:
    Recomping:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-n...tion-or-is-it/

And step up your program to start gaining some mass:
    Ironaddicts Simple Power Based Routine: http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8050
    Last edited by SuffolkPunch; 09-19-2009 at 07:11 AM.