youngnemi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) youngnemi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) youngnemi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) youngnemi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) youngnemi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) youngnemi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) youngnemi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) youngnemi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) youngnemi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) youngnemi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) youngnemi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

arching back during bench press?

should you always arch your back a bit when you bench press? ....I've always heard you should and have seen videos indicating doing so....but doesn't it strain your mid to lower back a bit more?

king_james15 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) king_james15 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) king_james15 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) king_james15 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) king_james15 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) king_james15 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) king_james15 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) king_james15 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) king_james15 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) king_james15 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) king_james15 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I always arch my back.
    Squat 335
    Bench 295
    Dead 495

mikeyndc is on a distinguished road. (+10) mikeyndc is on a distinguished road. (+10) mikeyndc is on a distinguished road. (+10) mikeyndc is on a distinguished road. (+10) mikeyndc is on a distinguished road. (+10) mikeyndc is on a distinguished road. (+10) mikeyndc is on a distinguished road. (+10) mikeyndc is on a distinguished road. (+10) mikeyndc is on a distinguished road. (+10) mikeyndc is on a distinguished road. (+10) mikeyndc is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by youngnemi View Post
    should you always arch your back a bit when you bench press? ....I've always heard you should and have seen videos indicating doing so....but doesn't it strain your mid to lower back a bit more?
    A slight arch is okay, just enough to pass your hand between your lower back and the bench.... be sure to keep your shoulder blades tucked & tight under you, and keep your ass on the bench.

youngnemi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) youngnemi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) youngnemi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) youngnemi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) youngnemi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) youngnemi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) youngnemi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) youngnemi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) youngnemi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) youngnemi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) youngnemi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I know I'm not the only one that has looked into proper bench press methods...I used to always keep my back flat.....but looked into proper methods thinking I could correct something the could help increase my lifts.....in EVERY video even the famous Dave Tate videos it shows arching your back, at least enough that an arm could fit underneath.....but when I try it, it does add a bit more stress to my back....I don't know if that's a good thing, in doing so may strengthen my back, or a bad thing, in doing so could ruin my back....

kingjameskjf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingjameskjf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingjameskjf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingjameskjf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingjameskjf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingjameskjf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingjameskjf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingjameskjf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingjameskjf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingjameskjf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingjameskjf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by mikeyndc View Post
    A slight arch is okay, just enough to pass your hand between your lower back and the bench.... be sure to keep your shoulder blades tucked & tight under you, and keep your ass on the bench.
    This is what I do...haven't had any problems and works well.
    kingjameskjf @ seriousnutritionsolutions.com

My contest prep/workout journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=115012401&page=4

james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    your back should arch a little naturally with good form.

feet flat on floor, knees and feet pointed out a little for balance
    butt on bench
    shoulders tucked in

this should cause a slight arch.

mikeyndc is on a distinguished road. (+10) mikeyndc is on a distinguished road. (+10) mikeyndc is on a distinguished road. (+10) mikeyndc is on a distinguished road. (+10) mikeyndc is on a distinguished road. (+10) mikeyndc is on a distinguished road. (+10) mikeyndc is on a distinguished road. (+10) mikeyndc is on a distinguished road. (+10) mikeyndc is on a distinguished road. (+10) mikeyndc is on a distinguished road. (+10) mikeyndc is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I know I'm not the only one that has looked into proper bench press methods...I used to always keep my back flat.....but looked into proper methods thinking I could correct something the could help increase my lifts.....in EVERY video even the famous Dave Tate videos it shows arching your back, at least enough that an arm could fit underneath.....but when I try it, it does add a bit more stress to my back....I don't know if that's a good thing, in doing so may strengthen my back, or a bad thing, in doing so could ruin my back....
    Maybe you're just not use to the correct form and pushing too much? do you feel balanced and in control of the weight? How long have you been lifting?

Maybe you're just not use to the correct form and pushing too much? do you feel balanced and in control of the weight? How long have you been lifting?

I'm into my 2nd month of serious workout....always lifted on and off....

....I bench 10 rep sets of 170.....started at 115 last month.....with back flat never really felt any strain, just regular soreness on occasion....after switching to a slight arch, I've felt way more sore the next day mid to lower back...not agonizing...just enough to notice a difference in ache....

but I've heard that bench press should also be recognized as a complete body workout....so switching to what should be correct form and feeling a lil more sore might be a good thing...not sure...
    Last edited by youngnemi; 09-18-2009 at 02:14 PM.

king_james15 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) king_james15 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) king_james15 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) king_james15 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) king_james15 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) king_james15 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) king_james15 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) king_james15 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) king_james15 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) king_james15 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) king_james15 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

....I bench 10 rep sets of 170.....started at 115 last month.....with back flat never really felt any strain, just regular soreness on occasion....after switching to a slight arch, I've felt way more sore the next day mid to lower back...not agonizing...just enough to notice a difference in ache....
    I'm sure that will go away after you do it a couple weeks. You just weren't used to it.
    Squat 335
    Bench 295
    Dead 495

Originally Posted by PHILtheTHRILL View Post
    I'm sure that will go away after you do it a couple weeks. You just weren't used to it.

what I'm hoping for...

but I've heard that bench press should also be recognized as a complete body workout....so switching to what should be correct form and feeling a lil more sore might be a good thing...not sure...
    Maybe you just need to give it a little more time. I started out the same way, but it actually felt better/ more normal once i learned better form.....but I never had any back issues.

MyNameSucks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MyNameSucks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MyNameSucks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MyNameSucks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MyNameSucks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MyNameSucks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MyNameSucks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MyNameSucks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you arch your back, you should also have feet flat to the ground, out wide or under the bench. Back should be tight, and a slight arch. Just type in Dave Tate's Six-week bench pree cure. On youtube! Just have good form because you can hurt you shoulders.

sputamante has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    slight arch is good. don't try to arch your back more in the middle of a lift to try and put the bar up though. that will strain your back for sure.

Maybe you just need to give it a little more time. I started out the same way, but it actually felt better/ more normal once i learned better form.....but I never had any back issues.

....I just finished todays workout...I just added a bit more stretching in between sets....helped....I just think I have to get used to correct form.....