tj-nu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Late Night Snacks - Healthy Alternatives

Some members might have grappled with this issue but I have a big problem when it comes to late night snack attacks. I tend to work out late afternoons and eat reasonably healthy and light dinners, but each night around 1 or 2 a.m., I wake up hungry with a big urge to eat a big snack. This usually amounts to munching a candy bar, chocolate chip cookies or anything that has sugar in it. I know, I know that is the worst thing that anyone can do, especially late night/early morning when all that added calories (not to mention refined sugar -easy carbs) will be converted to fat since you will not use any of it.

What is a solution for those late night cravings....anyone able to eat something healthy, satisfying and at the same time not add any extra pounds on you? Water just doesn't do it for me. I need something solid.

I have gained muscle over the last few months (went from 220 to almost 240 pounds) but at the same time, I have seen my waistline go from a 37" to 39".....so some fat is definitely making it's way in the abdominal area. My guess is the late night snacking has a big thing to do with it.

Help!
    TJ

Registered User sleekblackroads's Avatar
    sleekblackroads has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    go back to bed.

write4passion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by tj-nu View Post
    Some members might have grappled with this issue but I have a big problem when it comes to late night snack attacks. I tend to work out late afternoons and eat reasonably healthy and light dinners, but each night around 1 or 2 a.m., I wake up hungry with a big urge to eat a big snack. This usually amounts to munching a candy bar, chocolate chip cookies or anything that has sugar in it. I know, I know that is the worst thing that anyone can do, especially late night/early morning when all that added calories (not to mention refined sugar -easy carbs) will be converted to fat since you will not use any of it.

What is a solution for those late night cravings....anyone able to eat something healthy, satisfying and at the same time not add any extra pounds on you? Water just doesn't do it for me. I need something solid.

I have gained muscle over the last few months (went from 220 to almost 240 pounds) but at the same time, I have seen my waistline go from a 37" to 39".....so some fat is definitely making it's way in the abdominal area. My guess is the late night snacking has a big thing to do with it.

Help!
    TJ
    I would buy some flavored teas and whole fruits and veggies. Having an apple, orange, or some carrots might help. It's not doing any good to eat that late however. But a fruit or veggie would be a healthier alternative, and shouldn't harm your weight loss goals as long as you keep it to a once in a while kind of thing. Your best bet and friend is willpower buddy!

P.S. Eating something with sugar that late leads to a blood sugar spike and helps you wake with a sugar hangover (waking groggy and feeling like crap). It's your bodies way of telling you to not eat sugary stuff that late!

tj-nu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Low Carb Protein Bars

How about some low carb protein bars like Optimum's Protein Diet Bars or Universal's CarbRite Diet Bars? They have sugar alcohols so the impact carbs are kept in the single digits. One of my friends mentioned drinking a high protein drink like Optimum's Casein Protein late at night to stop the midnight cravings. Anyone tried these options?

Thanks,

TJ

Atregglypuff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Atregglypuff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Atregglypuff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Atregglypuff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Atregglypuff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Atregglypuff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Atregglypuff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Atregglypuff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Atregglypuff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Atregglypuff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Atregglypuff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Isn't the protein in cottage cheese mostly casein? A lot of people on here swear by cottage cheese at night before bed, as ON Casein powder tends to be a little on the expensive side. You can mix all sorts of things with it, like cinnamon, honey, peanut butter, etc.

I have kinda a huge sweet tooth so every night I have:
    1 cup plain lowfat yogurt
    1 tbsp honey
    1/4 cup frozen raspberries, defrosted/mashed
    2 tbsp walnuts

Tastes almost as good as yogurt cups with a lot less sugar.

Danceruk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Danceruk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Danceruk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Danceruk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Danceruk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Danceruk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Danceruk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Danceruk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Danceruk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Danceruk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Danceruk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    you say your eating light dinners... theres the problem

eat up.. then have a snack before bed..you wont need any midnight munchies!

Murdok1741 is a name known to all. (+5000) Murdok1741 is a name known to all. (+5000) Murdok1741 is a name known to all. (+5000) Murdok1741 is a name known to all. (+5000) Murdok1741 is a name known to all. (+5000) Murdok1741 is a name known to all. (+5000) Murdok1741 is a name known to all. (+5000) Murdok1741 is a name known to all. (+5000) Murdok1741 is a name known to all. (+5000) Murdok1741 is a name known to all. (+5000) Murdok1741 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    celery sticks w/ some natural peanut butter should curb the hunger. Carrots are good too.
    OG 2004 Join Date

Max Lifts @ 190 lbs:
    - Benchpress - 235 lbs
    - Deadlift - 440 lbs
    - Squat - 365 lbs

tp90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tp90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tp90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tp90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tp90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tp90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tp90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tp90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tp90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tp90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tp90 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Danceruk View Post
    you say your eating light dinners... theres the problem

eat up.. then have a snack before bed..you wont need any midnight munchies!
    x2 your working out late afternoons post post workout nutrition is really important (post is probably a shake), and you need a solid meal to refill your glygocen thats just a way ur body tryna tell u (muscles hungry)

Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Lowfat, low butter popcorn works well for me. Although I can't say I ever wake up and eat, it's usually consumed near bedtime.

Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Casein Sludge FTW

juzzy69x has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    stick a few pieces of gum in your mouth and chew on that.
    then go to sleep at a proper hour.

THE_TRUTH86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) THE_TRUTH86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) THE_TRUTH86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) THE_TRUTH86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) THE_TRUTH86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) THE_TRUTH86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) THE_TRUTH86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) THE_TRUTH86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) THE_TRUTH86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) THE_TRUTH86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) THE_TRUTH86 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    drink some water, eat some Cottage Cheese and PB 1hr before bed, or increase your calories during the day..