Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    loracolson is on a distinguished road. (+10) loracolson is on a distinguished road. (+10) loracolson is on a distinguished road. (+10) loracolson is on a distinguished road. (+10) loracolson is on a distinguished road. (+10) loracolson is on a distinguished road. (+10) loracolson is on a distinguished road. (+10) loracolson is on a distinguished road. (+10) loracolson is on a distinguished road. (+10) loracolson is on a distinguished road. (+10) loracolson is on a distinguished road. (+10)

How much cardio do YOU do?

A lot of people ask me, "How much cardio do you do?" If they only knew? I really don't do very much! I do 10-20 minutes every other day?Sometimes every 3 days! Quite a change from my old style of working out, and look at my results now. http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/loracolson/

And the blogpost "Quit the CARDIO ADDICTION!!" http://blog.bodybuilding.com/loracol...dio-addiction/
    Last edited by loracolson; 09-17-2009 at 09:15 AM.
    40 w/4 kids and and the best bod of my life...
    www.LoraColson.com

Poorp-226 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Poorp-226 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Poorp-226 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Poorp-226 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Poorp-226 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Poorp-226 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Poorp-226 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Poorp-226 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Poorp-226 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Poorp-226 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Poorp-226 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I don't do enough I think. I workout 4 days out of 7 and I try to do 15 mins of either the bike or the eliptical machine after each workout.

I had read somewhere that you burn the most fat when you do at least 15 mins after your workout. Can anybody comment if this is valid?

Getting sort of strong truckerman79's Avatar
    truckerman79 is just really nice. (+1000) truckerman79 is just really nice. (+1000) truckerman79 is just really nice. (+1000) truckerman79 is just really nice. (+1000) truckerman79 is just really nice. (+1000) truckerman79 is just really nice. (+1000) truckerman79 is just really nice. (+1000) truckerman79 is just really nice. (+1000) truckerman79 is just really nice. (+1000) truckerman79 is just really nice. (+1000) truckerman79 is just really nice. (+1000)
    My cardio consists of walking into the gym from my car, 5 minute warmup on a bike, then walking to my car after lifting.
    "If you don't Deadlift, the terrorists win."- eomrat

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by truckerman79 View Post
    My cardio consists of walking into the gym from my car, 5 minute warmup on a bike, then walking to my car after lifting.
    I workout at home and follow this same protocol, though even less because I only have to walk downstairs.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by loracolson View Post
    A lot of people ask me, "How much cardio do you do?" If they only knew? I really don't do very much! I do 10-20 minutes every other day?Sometimes every 3 days! Quite a change from my old style of working out, and look at my results now. http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/loracolson/

And the blogpost "Quit the CARDIO ADDICTION!!" http://blog.bodybuilding.com/loracol...dio-addiction/
    Doesn't this mentality assume that people are doign cardio in order to lose weight? Steering people clear of cardio wholesale is pretty ignorant. I can tell you that the rigors of my competitions (strongman) and the demands of my military work would be too much were I to do little to no cardio/conditioning work.

To that end I do 10-15 minutes of sprints twice a week, twice a week I run 2+ miles, twice a week I do weight bearing GPP, 6 days a week I lift... which I hear is "cardio intensive"

The point is that I can gain or lose weight in the kitchen, but cardio is a necessary portion of my daily life. Perhaps a more specific hook to your thread was/is in order.

Originally Posted by Wildtim View Post
    I workout at home and follow this same protocol, though even less because I only have to walk downstairs.
    How much running around do you do with your dogs?
    GoRuck Challenge Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150446113

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." -Edmund Burke

"Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also." -Marcus Aurelius

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by CookAndrewB View Post
    How much running around do you do with your dogs?
    Ok you got me. I'm probably training dogs or horses, moving at at least a fast walk for about 10 hours or more per week.

However, I don't believe what is usually considered "cardio" on this board is at all needed for fat lose. There is a general idea that unless you are doing HIIT or LISS or something else for burning calories on a stationary machine in the gym or running you will not lose fat. The fact that you can do a lifting circuit, or any one of a million other activities and get the same benefit seems to get completely missed.

Not to mention the fact that you are talking about conditioning, or heart respiratory endurance. Another fact that seems completely lost here.

borcherding has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) borcherding has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) borcherding has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) borcherding has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) borcherding has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) borcherding has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) borcherding has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) borcherding has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) borcherding has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) borcherding has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) borcherding has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    WOWZERS! Gotta check out your website!!!

CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Ok you got me. I'm probably training dogs or horses, moving at at least a fast walk for about 10 hours or more per week.

However, I don't believe what is usually considered "cardio" on this board is at all needed for fat lose. There is a general idea that unless you are doing HIIT or LISS or something else for burning calories on a stationary machine in the gym or running you will not lose fat. The fact that you can do a lifting circuit, or any one of a million other activities and get the same benefit seems to get completely missed.

Not to mention the fact that you are talking about conditioning, or heart respiratory endurance. Another fact that seems completely lost here.
    So you stay active... I figured as much.

Look, I have no qualms with the idea that fat loss is a kitchen table issue, but people still need to do cardio regardless of its ability (good or bad) to help with fat loss. This kind of posting is probably better served in the diet area, if we are talking about fat loss. From a training or programming standpoint I would never advise a client to cut out cardio, or even do an insignificant amount, such as 10-20 minutes twice a week. From a general health standpoint I'm not sure that tact is one I am comfortable with.

Of course, most people would benefit from anything, considering just how sedentary we are as a society... says the guy who has been sitting at a desk all day
    GoRuck Challenge Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150446113

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." -Edmund Burke

"Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also." -Marcus Aurelius

Chickenwings will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chickenwings will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chickenwings will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chickenwings will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chickenwings will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chickenwings will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chickenwings will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chickenwings will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chickenwings will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chickenwings will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chickenwings will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    [QUOTE=loracolson;386040411]A lot of people ask me, "How much cardio do you do?" If they only knew? I really don't do very much! I do 10-20 minutes every other day?Sometimes every 3 days! Quite a change from my old style of working out, and look at my results now.

I love cardio and do it 5 times a week for a min of 40 mintues after workout, usually get 10-11 km (bout 6.5-7.5 miles) out of that each time. Usually running.

Been like this for last 5 years.

My main reason for doing so much is to stay healthy and be able to compete - i play semi pro football (soccer to you guys) so need to be fit.

ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    5 days a week usually. 10 min walk to the gym, lift, 20 minutes HIIT, 10 minute walk back.

Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000)
    I used to do some interval jog/sprints before my workout, but I've lowered it to just 5 mins warm up.

I do play flag football a few times a week though, and walk all around campus 4 days a week.
    Starting Strength... Again! - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169172893

6 Month Beginner Starting Strength Log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=118409981

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    deads and squats are pretty good HIIT cardio...

apart from that I don't do any unless I am playing with the kids

☆☆ Platinum Account ☆☆ MrVaginaSoup's Avatar
    MrVaginaSoup is just really nice. (+1000) MrVaginaSoup is just really nice. (+1000) MrVaginaSoup is just really nice. (+1000) MrVaginaSoup is just really nice. (+1000) MrVaginaSoup is just really nice. (+1000) MrVaginaSoup is just really nice. (+1000) MrVaginaSoup is just really nice. (+1000) MrVaginaSoup is just really nice. (+1000) MrVaginaSoup is just really nice. (+1000) MrVaginaSoup is just really nice. (+1000) MrVaginaSoup is just really nice. (+1000)
    is walking from the gym to home (2 miles) everyday enough cardio for fat loss? (after lifting that is.)

Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by MrVaginaSoup View Post
    is walking from the gym to home (2 miles) everyday enough cardio for fat loss? (after lifting that is.)
    You won't burn many calories that way, to be honest. However any cardio is better than no cardio, as it promotes good health.

If your goal is fat loss, then diet is the key. You could aim for a 500 calorie deficit per day, for roughly one pound of weight loss per week. That's the equivalent to 2 cups of chocolate milk, or one small/medium-sized meal a day. If you are weight training, and eating healthy, you should lose relatively little muscle. Therefore much of your weight loss will be fat and water weight.
    --- Nick ---

It troubles me that anyone would consider walking to be cardio exercise...

Originally Posted by MrVaginaSoup View Post
    No walking 2 miles is considered economy transportation.

Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    It depends on context. Casual walking is not cardio. Brisk walking can be very good cardio. Depends on the intensity of the effort, and how fast the person is walking.

For example, walking at a pace of 5 miles per hour, you can cover 2.5 miles in 30 minutes. Or 2 miles in just under 25 minutes. At that point you are almost running, but you get the idea. Someone who walks fast enough to do 2 miles in about 30 minutes, is probably getting a decent cardio workout. Totally depends on the person and their situation.
    --- Nick ---

ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Nick1971 View Post
    Casual walking is not cardio.
    Disagree. Cardio is getting your heart to work harder than inactivity. I'd wager that taking a walk around town for 45 minutes is night and day between the workloads for your heart compared to staying in.

Personally, I do 1 big cardio event per week - which is usually a 30 minute run (used to run a ton) or lots of stair climbing. Then a couple of low intensity short bouts throughout the week - usually swimming or walking.

Cardio - the way it's prescribed to the overweight public - is overrated. Lifting weights even I count as light cardio as well I think this board underestimates the lethargy of America in general (since we're gym rats).

kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Now you are putting down the millions who take a walk in the park for cardio

Originally Posted by Nick1971 View Post
    It depends on context. Casual walking is not cardio. Brisk walking can be very good cardio. Depends on the intensity of the effort, and how fast the person is walking.

For example, walking at a pace of 5 miles per hour, you can cover 2.5 miles in 30 minutes. Or 2 miles in just under 25 minutes. At that point you are almost running, but you get the idea. Someone who walks fast enough to do 2 miles in about 30 minutes, is probably getting a decent cardio workout. Totally depends on the person and their situation.
    First off, let's not bring up speed walking. If you want to move quickly, run/jog. There is never a good reason to speed walk. Never

Here are the situations where I find walking to be a struggle at all:
    1. Hiking. This assumes that a portion of your walking is on steep inclines, over rough terrain, or actually involve climbing something.
    2. Carrying something heavy while you walk, IE yoke WALK or farmers WALK.

Eh... that is about it. If you are so miserably out of shape as to consider walking on a sidewalk or in flat grass "exercise" you have much bigger issues than this thread can solve.

Originally Posted by kitarpyar View Post
    Now you are putting down the millions who take a walk in the park for cardio
    Not for nothing, but yes... yes I am. I enjoy a walk with my dogs and wife, but I can tell you that I've never once thought of it as exercise. It helps me stay active, but it isn't improving my cardiovascular conditioning at all.

Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    First off, let's not bring up speed walking. If you want to move quickly, run/jog. There is never a good reason to speed walk. Never
    Unless it's your sport...

But then again...

jrae is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrae is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrae is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrae is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrae is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrae is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrae is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrae is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrae is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrae is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrae is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    No walking 2 miles is considered economy transportation.
    Enjoyed your website...what kind of horses do you train?

Oh and on the subject I do cardio at least 5 days a week...but I'm on a mission to lose weight!
    Jan

loracolson is on a distinguished road. (+10) loracolson is on a distinguished road. (+10) loracolson is on a distinguished road. (+10) loracolson is on a distinguished road. (+10) loracolson is on a distinguished road. (+10) loracolson is on a distinguished road. (+10) loracolson is on a distinguished road. (+10) loracolson is on a distinguished road. (+10) loracolson is on a distinguished road. (+10) loracolson is on a distinguished road. (+10) loracolson is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by jrae View Post
    Enjoyed your website...what kind of horses do you train?

Oh and on the subject I do cardio at least 5 days a week...but I'm on a mission to lose weight!
    Thank you!! We have performance Quarter Horses.
    40 w/4 kids and and the best bod of my life...
    www.LoraColson.com

NGA Natural Pro NaturalPhysique's Avatar
    NaturalPhysique has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NaturalPhysique has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NaturalPhysique has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NaturalPhysique has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NaturalPhysique has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NaturalPhysique has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NaturalPhysique has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NaturalPhysique has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NaturalPhysique has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NaturalPhysique has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NaturalPhysique has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I do no cardio and never have. I've gotten ready for every show I've ever done without doing a second of cardio. I wouldn't say I have a fast metabolism either. I attribute it all to diet.

I think cardio is good for general healh purposes though and I do recommend it. I just hate it.
    Greg A. Daniels
    Design| www.nine10design.com
    ******** | www.********.com/gregadaniels

tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    No cardio at all. Except for 10 minute warm-up on the bike every session (5 days on/2 off) but that's not really cardio as it's too short and too intense. So to fell better about myself, lets say 50 minutes a week.

Originally Posted by NaturalPhysique View Post
    I do no cardio and never have. I've gotten ready for every show I've ever done without doing a second of cardio. I wouldn't say I have a fast metabolism either. I attribute it all to diet.

I think cardio is good for general healh purposes though and I do recommend it. I just hate it.
    There is a difference between suggesting that people do little cardio and saying that it isn't necessary for losing weight.

I agree that body fat is best manipulated through diet (it takes less time and effort to simply skip a big mac than it does to run off the cals, yes?), but I wouldn't say that staying away from cardio is wise either.

brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000)
    but I wouldn't say that staying away from cardio is wise either.
    It's not wise. Cardiovascular help is important, plus cardio helps thinks like insulin resistance and increases your work capacity. It's just part of a healthy lifestyle. A healthy lifestyle makes sports easier.

The hot mom who started this thread is right though. You don't need a ton of it to burn fat. Hence her hot mom-ness.

BradKemp is a name known to all. (+5000) BradKemp is a name known to all. (+5000) BradKemp is a name known to all. (+5000) BradKemp is a name known to all. (+5000) BradKemp is a name known to all. (+5000) BradKemp is a name known to all. (+5000) BradKemp is a name known to all. (+5000) BradKemp is a name known to all. (+5000) BradKemp is a name known to all. (+5000) BradKemp is a name known to all. (+5000) BradKemp is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I do light cardio almost every day.

Uphill walk on the treadmill for 45-60 minutes at a grade ranging from 5.0-15 and a speed ranging for 2.8-4.0

I go until I burn 500 calories which usually happens around the 2.5 mile mark.

I've gone from 22% body fat to 12% body fat over a 10 month period and actually weight a little more than when I first started.

As for the weights, I train using HIT principals and hit each body part once every 5-10 days depending how fresh and explosive I feel.

Vise09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vise09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vise09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vise09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vise09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vise09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vise09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vise09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vise09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vise09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vise09 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    whats cardio?
    2020 Comeback from hiatus. Time to get blench
    Running a Max-OT style routine to get the wheel turning

Originally Posted by ptwa9 View Post
    Disagree. Cardio is getting your heart to work harder than inactivity. I'd wager that taking a walk around town for 45 minutes is night and day between the workloads for your heart compared to staying in. Cardio - the way it's prescribed to the overweight public - is overrated. Lifting weights even I count as light cardio as well I think this board underestimates the lethargy of America in general (since we're gym rats).
    Just to re-iterate, it's all about context. You bring up good points, but you're talking in a different context than I am. Sure, I agree that casual walking is cardio compared to laying in bed all day. But to someone that's already active, it's not cardio.

First of all, I never brought up Speed Walking. I just said brisk walking. IE, walking at a good pace, not that crap from the videos, or skipping, or whatever.

Eh... that is about it. If you are so miserably out of shape as to consider walking on a sidewalk or in flat grass "exercise" you have much bigger issues than this thread can solve.
    You take that up with ptwa - I am not going to defend a point I didn't make.

Not for nothing, but yes... yes I am. I enjoy a walk with my dogs and wife, but I can tell you that I've never once thought of it as exercise. It helps me stay active, but it isn't improving my cardiovascular conditioning at all.
    That's the same point I make above to ptwa. It depends on the context. I know people that would struggle with casual walking, and brisk walking is out of the picture. I also know others that won't get any cardiovascular benefit with anything less than jogging. We should all be on the same page, now.
    --- Nick ---