sdbolts512 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sdbolts512 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sdbolts512 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sdbolts512 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sdbolts512 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sdbolts512 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sdbolts512 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sdbolts512 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sdbolts512 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sdbolts512 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sdbolts512 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Calves WILL NOT GROW

No matter what I seem to do my calves just seem to be stubborn and won't grow.

I genetically have high calves which will always make it hard for me to develop, but even so, they aren't growing.

I'm currently working them 2X per week, once with lower volume (6 sets) and low reps (4-6), and again with higher volume (12 sets or so) and higher reps (8-15).

They ARE progressing in strength but not size so much which is why im confused.

I use very strict form too, using the SPORTO TEMPO (term coined by WNBF PRO Tommy Jeffers).

This tempo is where you explode up, hold at the top for 3 seconds, lower slowly, and pause at the bottom for 3 seconds to take away any possible momentum.

Any ideas?
    "My poetry's deep I never fell, Nas' raps should be locked in a cell, it ain't hard to tell"

ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Running. Running will blow up your calves like no other.

If I had a pic of my calves Id show you, but trust me running will blow your calves up. If you dont wanna run, uphill walk at a good pace. Calve work alone will not blow your calves up.

jay4812 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jay4812 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jay4812 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ven33 View Post
    Running. Running will blow up your calves like no other.

If I had a pic of my calves Id show you, but trust me running will blow your calves up. If you dont wanna run, uphill walk at a good pace. Calve work alone will not blow your calves up.

agreed... like the people I know with big calves are usually runners or bikers.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. -Yoda

ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Slow twitch fiber dominant muscles generally respond better to higher rep work. I've found that working out calves twice a week works great for me. On day one I'll start with heavy weights using 8-10 reps, 1.5 minute rest intervals, with a moderate tempo; 1-2 secs on both positive and negative. I'll then rest 2 days, and hit them again on day 4 with higher rep work, which consists of 15-20 reps, 45 sec - 1 minute intervals, and a fast(er) tempo. Rest 3 more days, and restart the cycle.

I also consistently switch off between seated donkey calf raises and standing machine calf raises.

GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thumbs up

OP,

Your routine looks okay; the only thing I'd change, really, is the amount of rest between sets. I also have highish calves--and they suck, too!--and if I want to get them to grow even a little I take as little rest between sets as I can i.e. twenty seconds. For some guys, you just have to hammer them and FORCE them to grow. Now, I wouldn't do that "20 seconds rest" routine all the time, but every third workout may help a bit.

Keep in mind that if you have high calves--Victor Martinez also has high calves and he's got great genes AND he's on the "special sauce"--there may not be a whole lot you can do to either lengthen them (although stretching will help a bit) or make them HYOOOGE; your genetics will ALWAYS be the limiting factor. Just work on them--hard. Heavy weight one day, lighter weight the next, as little rest as possible the third, progressively increase the weights and/or reps when you can. Pretty much all you can do.
    "Don't call me Miss Kitty. Just...don't."--Catnip. Check out the Catnip Trilogy on Amazon.com

"Chivalry isn't dead. It just wears a skirt."--Twisted, the YA gender bender deal of the century!

Check out my links to Mr. Taxi, Star Maps, and other fine YA Action/Romance novels at http://www.amazon.com/J.S.-Frankel/e/B004XUUTB8/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

DJT_ FITNESS has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DJT_ FITNESS has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DJT_ FITNESS has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DJT_ FITNESS has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DJT_ FITNESS has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DJT_ FITNESS has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DJT_ FITNESS has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DJT_ FITNESS has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DJT_ FITNESS has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DJT_ FITNESS has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DJT_ FITNESS has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Agree with the running, also try jumping rope 6 1 minute jumps. It will blow them up, will post a pic when I can.
    CytoSport Forum Rep

The official CytoSport Q&A thread:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=130447323

CytoSport store page:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/cs/cyto.htm

CURRENT OFFERS @ BB.COM

Disclaimer: The above post is my opinion and is not necessarily that of CytoSport.

sdbolts512 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sdbolts512 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sdbolts512 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sdbolts512 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sdbolts512 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sdbolts512 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sdbolts512 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sdbolts512 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sdbolts512 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sdbolts512 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sdbolts512 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by GuyJin View Post
    OP,

Your routine looks okay; the only thing I'd change, really, is the amount of rest between sets. I also have highish calves--and they suck, too!--and if I want to get them to grow even a little I take as little rest between sets as I can i.e. twenty seconds. For some guys, you just have to hammer them and FORCE them to grow. Now, I wouldn't do that "20 seconds rest" routine all the time, but every third workout may help a bit.

Keep in mind that if you have high calves--Victor Martinez also has high calves and he's got great genes AND he's on the "special sauce"--there may not be a whole lot you can do to either lengthen them (although stretching will help a bit) or make them HYOOOGE; your genetics will ALWAYS be the limiting factor. Just work on them--hard. Heavy weight one day, lighter weight the next, as little rest as possible the third, progressively increase the weights and/or reps when you can. Pretty much all you can do.

hmm, i'll give that a try, i think doing lots of dropsets and supersets for them should help

Originally Posted by ThiZzNation925 View Post
    Slow twitch fiber dominant muscles generally respond better to higher rep work. I've found that working out calves twice a week works great for me. On day one I'll start with heavy weights using 8-10 reps, 1.5 minute rest intervals, with a moderate tempo; 1-2 secs on both positive and negative. I'll then rest 2 days, and hit them again on day 4 with higher rep work, which consists of 15-20 reps, 45 sec - 1 minute intervals, and a fast(er) tempo. Rest 3 more days, and restart the cycle.

I also consistently switch off between seated donkey calf raises and standing machine calf raises.
    yeah, my gym has those and i also do seated raises, and calf extensions on the leg press machine. not a whole lot of options but I make do

Originally Posted by jay4812 View Post
    agreed... like the people I know with big calves are usually runners or bikers.
    what about sprints like for HIIT?
    "My poetry's deep I never fell, Nas' raps should be locked in a cell, it ain't hard to tell"