Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Secur1ty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Creatine and Depression?

Hey everyone...
    I've been reading up alot on Creatine Monohydrate and the pros and cons about it. And I came up on alot of articles on google about Creatine and the negative effects it could potentially have on certain people, more specifically the theory of creatine causing depression, anxiety and surges of anger.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mercer5.htm

That is one of the many articles about Creatine and Anxiety/Depression that i have found.

Now... i have thought about that and realized one thing. I tend to have bouts of depression and a very short fuse (atleast.... more than usual) whenever i am on creatine.

I was off of the creatine for a whole week last week, and i was surprisingly happy and had no depression and very little anger.... Pretty much normal.

I went back on it today, because i was going back to the wieght room after a week of much needed rest. About 3 hours after i took it, i was having periods of depression, anger, and anxiety, which surprised me quite a bit.

This whole spheal that i just typed up may sound stupid.. but does anyone else experience this at all?

kickenwing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kickenwing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    good article, nice find

PeoplesChamp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeoplesChamp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeoplesChamp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeoplesChamp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeoplesChamp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeoplesChamp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeoplesChamp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeoplesChamp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeoplesChamp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeoplesChamp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeoplesChamp is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I am naturally pretty agressive and I have some depression but I refuse to take medication. I also have ADD/ADHD and this also make me not patient. I actually seem kinda seem depressed, angry, and anxious, but im not sure if is that creatine or just me. I think a lot of it is mental. Especially after you read something you think you have it.
    With the increase in cardio and boxing/mma training I am staying at 175-185lbs compared to 215-230lbs. Will post recent pics soon. Since I will not fight until 6 months from now I will gain some muscle weight and worry about cutting weight later.

Best MMA Highlights Ever--This song gets me fkn pumped!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HinXYYdfQuA

davesomebody has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    funny that you brought this up. today is my first day taking creatine, or rather creadrive. i haven't been known for having patients. im not exactly sure if it is the creadrive but i do know that when i get pissed off, its hard to explain, but it doesn't quite feel like the same anger. its FAST and STRONG.

im probably gonna stay on it for now until the doses go down to 2 per day instead of 4. if i dont notice a change im definitally seeing a doctor. as far as depression goes, i already kinda had that so if it gets worse there is another reason to see the doc.

thanks for the post. it was very insightful.

Originally Posted by davesomebody View Post
    funny that you brought this up. today is my first day taking creatine, or rather creadrive. i haven't been known for having patients. im not exactly sure if it is the creadrive but i do know that when i get pissed off, its hard to explain, but it doesn't quite feel like the same anger. its FAST and STRONG.

im probably gonna stay on it for now until the doses go down to 2 per day instead of 4. if i dont notice a change im definitally seeing a doctor. as far as depression goes, i already kinda had that so if it gets worse there is another reason to see the doc.

thanks for the post. it was very insightful.
    yea, definately monitor yourself.... I got help on another forum about this issue of mine...and im just gonna drop the creatine use all together.

As for your anger feeling "faster and stronger", that could all be in your head. I dont think you would feel the full effect of creatine by just one dose for your first time... though, i could be wrong.

Good luck with the creatine though buddy.

Fernis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fernis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fernis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fernis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fernis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fernis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fernis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fernis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fernis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fernis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fernis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    My doctor told me it was safe to take. I was on SSRI's for OCD at the time. Still am, but a very small dose, though.
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." -Confucius

"If you fall down 7 times, get up 8."

"Just bust your ass" -W8

Montaya has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Montaya has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Montaya has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Montaya has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Montaya has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Montaya has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Montaya has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Montaya has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Montaya has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Montaya has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Montaya has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Secur1ty View Post
    Hey everyone...
    I've been reading up alot on Creatine Monohydrate and the pros and cons about it. And I came up on alot of articles on google about Creatine and the negative effects it could potentially have on certain people, more specifically the theory of creatine causing depression, anxiety and surges of anger.

That is one of the many articles about Creatine and Anxiety/Depression that i have found.

Now... i have thought about that and realized one thing. I tend to have bouts of depression and a very short fuse (atleast.... more than usual) whenever i am on creatine.

I was off of the creatine for a whole week last week, and i was surprisingly happy and had no depression and very little anger.... Pretty much normal.

I went back on it today, because i was going back to the wieght room after a week of much needed rest. About 3 hours after i took it, i was having periods of depression, anger, and anxiety, which surprised me quite a bit.

This whole spheal that i just typed up may sound stupid.. but does anyone else experience this at all?
    Well on the contrary, ive been taking 5 grams of creatine per day for the past 2 months and im pretty happy, rare accounts of depression and only aggressive during workouts. It can all be in your head, if you think something can cause this or that because it has been said to do so, you could make that fact real by believing it, like when girls think they are fat and eating to much but they are in reality smoking hot and just paranoid.

davesomebody has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Montaya View Post
    Well on the contrary, ive been taking 5 grams of creatine per day for the past 2 months and im pretty happy, rare accounts of depression and only aggressive during workouts. It can all be in your head, if you think something can cause this or that because it has been said to do so, you could make that fact real by believing it, like when girls think they are fat and eating to much but they are in reality smoking hot and just paranoid.
    yea...what would the proper amount of creatine be. i am taking 1g whey per lb of body weight. is it the same with creadrive (?g/?lb)?

Montaya has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Montaya has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Montaya has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Montaya has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Montaya has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Montaya has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Montaya has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Montaya has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Montaya has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Montaya has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Montaya has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yeah 1g protein per lb of body weight is how it goes from what i've heard on here and i dont even know what the fuk creadrive is.

Im not entirely sure what "Creadrive" is... but no more than 5 grams a day should be taken if its just Creatine Monohydrate.

As for the depression issue... i just stopped taking it all together. It said in that article that if it is not taken with proper doses of water, then it COULD cause that in some cases. I suppose im one of the cases.

Though, i could be wrong.

crzyhorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) crzyhorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) crzyhorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) crzyhorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) crzyhorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) crzyhorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) crzyhorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) crzyhorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) crzyhorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) crzyhorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) crzyhorse will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Cool After reading the artical....

The major point was made, used responsibly "creatine" will not cause you any problems. That is don't overdose, and drink plenty of water.

Creatine can cause dehydration which can stimulate and existing problem but dehydration can occur from drinking alcohol, ingesting to much sodium, even taking in to many carbs without enough water. The point is, creatine doesn't cause the problem dehydration does.

One other point, what does creatine do? In muscle tissue it is used in the process of producing ATP(cellular energy), this is not hormonal or steroidal in any way, it is something your cells are already doing. As creatine levels in the cell reach saturation more ATP can be produced therefore more energy is available. How this could be mood altering is beyond me.
    More is not always better. You grow outside the gym not in it...(some smart person)

All American EFX Sales & Service

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away"
    -George Carlin

"Add life to your years, not years to your life"- UN

240kat will become famous soon enough. (+50) 240kat will become famous soon enough. (+50) 240kat will become famous soon enough. (+50) 240kat will become famous soon enough. (+50) 240kat will become famous soon enough. (+50) 240kat will become famous soon enough. (+50) 240kat will become famous soon enough. (+50) 240kat will become famous soon enough. (+50) 240kat will become famous soon enough. (+50) 240kat will become famous soon enough. (+50) 240kat will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    when i got out of basic and started loading, i had A LOT of emotional roller coasters (from awful, depression to blinding fury) during my loading phase of creatine.

since then, the depression only comes on once in a while, but im thinking my body is just getting used to the creatine's phsycological effects.

Rusty513 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rusty513 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rusty513 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rusty513 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rusty513 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rusty513 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rusty513 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rusty513 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rusty513 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rusty513 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rusty513 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You are all in your teens or lower 20s, except for crzyhorse, who happens to be the only person I agree with here. In that age range you are naturally more aggressive and will have more mood changes. Creatine is readily available in red meat, so if eating a steak doesnt make you depressed neither will creatine when taken at the recommended doses. I have taken creatine and alot of other supplements and already had bouts of depression, these supplements neither helped nor hindered my depression. If you feel it is affecting you, quit taking it. You should just be eating, lifting, and sleeping until you plateau then iclude the supplements.
    Don't wait until everything is just right. It will never be perfect. There will always be challenges, obstacles and less than perfect conditions. So what. Get started now. With each step you take, you will grow stronger and stronger, more and more skilled, more and more self-confident and more and more successful.” Mark Victor Hansen

liftjunkie06 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liftjunkie06 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liftjunkie06 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liftjunkie06 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liftjunkie06 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liftjunkie06 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liftjunkie06 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liftjunkie06 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liftjunkie06 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liftjunkie06 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liftjunkie06 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Creatine is a naturally occurring compound within the body. Supplementation only results in increased cell volume through the uptake of water by muscle cells. I just recently started antidepressants and was not on creatine for about a year and a half when I was depressed. I recently started taking it (creatine) again, and my doctor said it was fine, as long as i drink mucho H20. It does not interfere with medication or normal body processes. If anything, it has helped my depression. There is no correlation between creatine and depression. If there is an issue, it is probably underlying and unrelated to the creatine use. However, I'm not a doctor so check with one if you're worried.
    Incidentally, anyone who has or has had depression will tell you that it is very serious and basically being unable to deal with life on a daily basis, not being "depressed" because your arms look small that day. I assume that the anxiety/anger stems from increased testorerone levels from working out, etc.

raman-singh has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Hey everyone...

Ive been taking creatine for about 3 months along with two friends. in that time it has definately increased ma anger problems and also depression as my moodswings rapidly and when i try to overcompensate and try not behave this way it comes off being agresive. after reading this thread im going to stop taking creatine but im worried about the "deflating" as theirs less water retention inda body. but yeah basicaly it definately affects ur head and i do not reccomend it unless u know you can control it.(n theres no real way to know unles uve tired it lol)
    ps im nearly 17 this maybe 1 of the causes as rusty513 pointed out. although hormones play a key factor it is the creatne that makes u behave this way as i acted nothing like this before i used 2 take it.
    Last edited by raman-singh; 10-22-2007 at 04:34 PM.

Intenceman is just really nice. (+1000) Intenceman is just really nice. (+1000) Intenceman is just really nice. (+1000) Intenceman is just really nice. (+1000) Intenceman is just really nice. (+1000) Intenceman is just really nice. (+1000) Intenceman is just really nice. (+1000) Intenceman is just really nice. (+1000) Intenceman is just really nice. (+1000) Intenceman is just really nice. (+1000) Intenceman is just really nice. (+1000)
    I don't think you have to worry. Creatine doesn't pass the brain/ blood barrier, so it can't directly have an effect on your brain- ie thoughts, emotions, moods
    'The unexamined life is not worth living'.-Socrates.
    'It ain't about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.' -Rocky Balboa.
    'Not everyone can be Mr. Olympia, but we can all improve ourselves'-Mike Mentzer.

THE BOUNCER has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You can find a study or a "negative effects" article on pretty much every single thing in existence.

I think there are many other factors in everyday life that can have a much bigger impact on anxiety/depression etc.. then creatine does.
    www.SuperiorMuscle.com

Channel1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Channel1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Channel1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Channel1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Channel1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Channel1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Channel1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Channel1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Channel1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Channel1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Channel1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I am gonna see how this works out, I was usually pretty depressed all the time before I started working out & now I am not. Let's see what happens after I start taking the stuff.

hondamx004 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hondamx004 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hondamx004 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hondamx004 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hondamx004 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hondamx004 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hondamx004 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    worries me.
    Kind of off topic. BUT is 16 too young to be taking creatine and working out everyday. I already drink probabally a 3/4 to a gallon of water a day.

tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000)

WOW Creatine caused my junk to get bigger and I grew a third toe

Here is something that everyone should be away of when taking creatine and doing any kind of physically activity.

We will say Creatine side effects for this

There are 3 stages
    • mild
    • moderate
    • severe, leads to death

Below is a list of the things you will feel when taking creatine, in order from mild effects to severe
    • Thirst
    • Dry Mouth, lips and nose
    • headaches
    • fatigue and lethargy
    • rapid, weak pulse at rest
    • dizziness and feeling of light-headed
    • temperature drop, on your extremities
    • sunken, dry eyes
    • blue lips
    • low blood pressue
    • muscles cramping
    • painful kidneys
    • confusion
    • liver failure
    • heart failure
    • death

This is a complete list of the side effects from DEHYDRATION, they are warning signs telling you to drink some water. CREATINE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT
    Fat Man Typing

FREDROCKS will become famous soon enough. (+50) FREDROCKS will become famous soon enough. (+50) FREDROCKS will become famous soon enough. (+50) FREDROCKS will become famous soon enough. (+50) FREDROCKS will become famous soon enough. (+50) FREDROCKS will become famous soon enough. (+50) FREDROCKS will become famous soon enough. (+50) FREDROCKS will become famous soon enough. (+50) FREDROCKS will become famous soon enough. (+50) FREDROCKS will become famous soon enough. (+50) FREDROCKS will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by tdog69 View Post
    Here is something that everyone should be away of when taking creatine and doing any kind of physically activity.

We will say Creatine side effects for this

There are 3 stages
    • mild
    • moderate
    • severe, leads to death

Below is a list of the things you will feel when taking creatine, in order from mild effects to severe
    • Thirst
    • Dry Mouth, lips and nose
    • headaches
    • fatigue and lethargy
    • rapid, weak pulse at rest
    • dizziness and feeling of light-headed
    • temperature drop, on your extremities
    • sunken, dry eyes
    • blue lips
    • low blood pressue
    • muscles cramping
    • painful kidneys
    • confusion
    • liver failure
    • heart failure
    • death

This is a complete list of the side effects from DEHYDRATION, they are warning signs telling you to drink some water. CREATINE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT
    x2. seems everybody loves to worry
    Live till u die

Tabfry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tabfry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tabfry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tabfry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tabfry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tabfry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tabfry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tabfry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tabfry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tabfry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tabfry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    After doing a bit of reading on creatine, I'm skeptical that it has any affect on mood or mental functions.... my .02

trnhrd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    it could be that, being males, the increase in creatine coupled with the extra mass increases testosterone, which is what makes us guys agressive...and well, guys.

xstillfly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yeah, i think a lot of you are just weak and hypercondriacs

tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I am depressed

I forgot to take my creatine this morning before my workout
    Fat Man Typing

overbulkedguy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) overbulkedguy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) overbulkedguy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) overbulkedguy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) overbulkedguy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) overbulkedguy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) overbulkedguy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) overbulkedguy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) overbulkedguy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) overbulkedguy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) overbulkedguy has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Yeah, My green mag made me kill a whole batch of kittens the other day. Then I just sat there and cried the whole day, it was weird.

7Happy7 is just really nice. (+1000) 7Happy7 is just really nice. (+1000) 7Happy7 is just really nice. (+1000) 7Happy7 is just really nice. (+1000) 7Happy7 is just really nice. (+1000) 7Happy7 is just really nice. (+1000) 7Happy7 is just really nice. (+1000) 7Happy7 is just really nice. (+1000) 7Happy7 is just really nice. (+1000) 7Happy7 is just really nice. (+1000) 7Happy7 is just really nice. (+1000)
    so basiccally creatine doesnt cause depression, dehydration does. very true. i feel much better after downing half gallon of water

< on paxil
    "Nothing is more painful to the human mind than, after the feelings have been worked up by a quick succession of events, the dead calmness of inaction and certainity which follows and deprives the soul both of hope and fear." - Mary Shelly

"Self-pity is easily the most destructive of the nonpharmaceutical narcotics; it is addictive, gives momentary pleasure and separates the victim from reality." - John W. Gardner

Roke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Roke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Roke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Roke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Roke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Roke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Roke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Roke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Roke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Roke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Roke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Could creatine cause a nutrient defeciency which triggers depression?

Roke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Roke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Roke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Roke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Roke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Roke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Roke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Roke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Roke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Roke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Roke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    An independent study proclaimed that increased mood swings, depression and anger in creatine users is found because creatine users fail to drink enough water while taking creatine. The study stated that dehydration was the main reason behind such mood swings and, though creatine users are usually advised to drink lots of water, few comply with the advise. The study further stated that such mood swings would accelerate if the user is already on an anti-depressant or is taking lithium for medicinal purposes. According to the study, to alleviate such mood swings, creatine should be used responsibly and the ideal way to do this would be to limit intake to 3 to 5 grams almost every day for three weeks followed by 3 grams two to four times a week. It is also recommended that users take a break from creatine for atleast a week, in a month.

http://www.creatine-monohydrate.org/...-and-anger.htm

They claim CEE does not cause this:

"Creatine ethyl ester never leads to cramping, loading, dehydration or bloating which many of the regular creatine causes when it is initially tried."

http://www.creatine-monohydrate.org/...thyl-ester.htm
    Last edited by Roke; 04-26-2008 at 10:17 PM.

obmas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) obmas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) obmas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) obmas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) obmas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) obmas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) obmas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) obmas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) obmas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) obmas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) obmas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    more specifically the theory of creatine causing depression, anxiety and surges of anger.
    creatine-rage is seriouz stuff
    --------------------- ϞϞ( ๑⚈ ․̫ ⚈๑). ---------------------
    --- Still-plays-PokemonGo-in-2022 Crew ---