Dramatic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dramatic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dramatic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dramatic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dramatic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dramatic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dramatic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dramatic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dramatic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dramatic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dramatic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Squat Rack vs. Smith Machine

I've checked almost every gym in my town, and NONE of them have an actual squat rack. Every one only has a smith machine, which is kind of a problem. I'd been thinking about starting Rippetoe's SS but if I'm not able to do squats on anything other than a smith machine...

I know the smith machine forces your body into an unnatural position when squatting, so would it be better to just skip it altogether, or just do what I can with it? I'm not squatting particularly heavy yet so I'm not too concerned about injury, and several other people I know have used the smith machine for squats with good results.

good idea/bad idea?
    -Fire comes from desire-

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I don't think squatting on a Smith machine is a good idea.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

Milk does a body good. Sir_Malak's Avatar
    Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I can only really perform front squats on a smith not because I dislike the smith machine for any real reason (I believe everything has a place) but normal squats just hurt everywhere on a smith machine *shrugs* Can't really sit back only down which is what I try not to do on normal squats.

Good luck!
    2014 Misc Raw Bench Press Contest winner in the 276lb+ 555lb lift @ ~280lbs
    2014 Obtained goal of 600+ raw bench press. Shoulder also hates me.
    2015 Lost 110 lbs and currently enjoy being healthy. Retired heavy bench press.
    2016 Stay healthy? Help others?
    2017 Staying Healthy
    2018 Might Return To The Game

the-craig is a name known to all. (+5000) the-craig is a name known to all. (+5000) the-craig is a name known to all. (+5000) the-craig is a name known to all. (+5000) the-craig is a name known to all. (+5000) the-craig is a name known to all. (+5000) the-craig is a name known to all. (+5000) the-craig is a name known to all. (+5000) the-craig is a name known to all. (+5000) the-craig is a name known to all. (+5000) the-craig is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I don't think smith machine squats are a bad exercise. Old gym worked out at had a squat rack which I used religiously, but new gym I go to doesn't have one and I find I feel smith ones much more, it is easier to focus on your quads more so than balancing the bar and leaning forward. Just need to work on foot positioning (further away or underneath body) until find one which feels alright.
    EPO all in my veins; Lately things just don’t seem the same; Actin’ funny, but I don’t know why; ’Scuse me while I pass this guy.

lamagic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lamagic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lamagic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lamagic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lamagic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lamagic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lamagic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lamagic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lamagic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lamagic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lamagic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've moved alot for work the past few years and have had to use some of the newer "gyms". Squat racks, lying leg curls machines, etc are phased out. I have to do squats on a Smith Machine and I can get really good workout for my quads.
    Bart: What do we need church shoes for? Jesus wore sandals.
    Homer: Well, maybe if He had had better arch support, they wouldn't have caught 'im.

onebigc will become famous soon enough. (+50) onebigc will become famous soon enough. (+50) onebigc will become famous soon enough. (+50) onebigc will become famous soon enough. (+50) onebigc will become famous soon enough. (+50) onebigc will become famous soon enough. (+50) onebigc will become famous soon enough. (+50) onebigc will become famous soon enough. (+50) onebigc will become famous soon enough. (+50) onebigc will become famous soon enough. (+50) onebigc will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    See what you can do with it.

Since you have no other option your real question should be Smith vs other variations like these:

DB squats
    Front Squats
    Overhead Squats
    hack swuats
    Variations of Deadlifts
    Glute ham raises
    one legged squats or pistols

My mistakes with the smith:

-don't accidentally twist the bar because it'll roll up your neck and onto your spine.
    -don't round at the bottom
    -keep your back tight even though it doesn't feel like you need to because you could strain something being lazy because you don't have to actually hold the weight
    -step out 2-6 inches infront of where you would normally for a back squat
    -keep in mind you are not training your stabilizing core muscles so if you go back to regular squat you'll do 40% (or whatever) less weight
    -try not to transition the weight to the front of your foot to make sure you get the weight up (not sure if this is correct)

supy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Look around many smith machines have what they call a gunrack mounted to the front that may be used as a squat rack theres got to be one in your area. If not it sounds like you have no choice
    Some People are nothing more than a skid-mark on the toilet bowl of life, never let them bring you down the drain with them
    Currently ranked 6th Total @Powerliftingwatch.com Masters rankings @220 Raw
    # 36 Mens 1565 RAW TOTAL
    UPA NAtionals Winner 4-17-2011

Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts.

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid

Dramatic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dramatic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dramatic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dramatic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dramatic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dramatic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dramatic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dramatic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dramatic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dramatic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dramatic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hm, well it doesn't look like I have much choice. I might give it a try, I'm certainly not gonna @#$% myself up too badly this early on. I'll have to remember to ease back on the weight if I find a legitimate gym with a squat rack, but by the looks of it that won't be for awhile.

Thanks for the help everyone
    -Fire comes from desire-

BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I think it depends on your body structure as to whether or not the Smith puts you in an awkard position. You might find another way to free weight squat. Like is there an incline bench or shoulder press station that you could somehow improvise in using or even laying the bar across a dip station, etc.? It might be tough finding a setup where you can both rest the bar and have a safety catch, but be creative and you can probably find a place to rest the bar and get under it. Good luck.
    barbell1.com - home of The Barbell1 Show - the only 5 day/wk Online Radio on building muscle
    Listened to in 171 Countries, Downloaded 1.3 million X in 2014-15
    Get it free on iTunes and Stitcher Radio for your mobile device!

About me:
    MS in Sports Dietetics
    Registered Dietitian
    BS in ESS
    NSCA Certified Personal Trainer

TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Hack squats on the smith are great. Should you move up to a gym that has a cage, it wont take very long to build the stabilizers to control the same weight in the free BB back squat.
    1305 combined total in the Big Three @ 225 bodyweight
    B: 385 / S: 425 / D: 495

Of Beers and Burger King: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=110649771

Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Dramatic View Post
    I've checked almost every gym in my town, and NONE of them have an actual squat rack. Every one only has a smith machine, which is kind of a problem.
    Where do you live?

TrickyFizzer will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrickyFizzer will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrickyFizzer will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrickyFizzer will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrickyFizzer will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrickyFizzer will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrickyFizzer will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrickyFizzer will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrickyFizzer will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrickyFizzer will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrickyFizzer will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Dramatic View Post
    I've checked almost every gym in my town, and NONE of them have an actual squat rack. Every one only has a smith machine, which is kind of a problem. I'd been thinking about starting Rippetoe's SS but if I'm not able to do squats on anything other than a smith machine...

I know the smith machine forces your body into an unnatural position when squatting, so would it be better to just skip it altogether, or just do what I can with it? I'm not squatting particularly heavy yet so I'm not too concerned about injury, and several other people I know have used the smith machine for squats with good results.

good idea/bad idea?
    ehh, general rule of thumb for me is: if it ends in "machine", I don't use it, lol. I can never seem to get comfortable on them.

Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TrickyFizzer View Post
    ehh, general rule of thumb for me is: if it ends in "machine", I don't use it, lol. I can never seem to get comfortable on them.

This h4rdc0r3 attitude is to my liking!

Repped!
    Here Lies the Rant
    2005 - 2015

Negs from 1938-1945

-lenco

SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Buy a rack and weights. Problem solved.

Squatting in the smith is cool if you wear medium shirts and pukka shell necklaces.
    "Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general."

F W Nietszche will become famous soon enough. (+50) F W Nietszche will become famous soon enough. (+50) F W Nietszche will become famous soon enough. (+50) F W Nietszche will become famous soon enough. (+50) F W Nietszche will become famous soon enough. (+50) F W Nietszche will become famous soon enough. (+50) F W Nietszche will become famous soon enough. (+50) F W Nietszche will become famous soon enough. (+50) F W Nietszche will become famous soon enough. (+50) F W Nietszche will become famous soon enough. (+50) F W Nietszche will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I think there is a good logic in using the smith machine especially if during hte course of your workout your stabilizer muscles will be worked out a lot. If you are doing mutiple sets of presses I think that to fully work your chest you should incorporate some machine work so that you aren't limited by the smaller secondary muscles that tend to give out before the ones that you are trying to work (same logic as using straps for back workouts).

The rule of thumb for any machine is that if they plane of motion does not agree with your anatomy its probably not a good machine for YOU (it might be a good machine for someone else who is structurally different from you)

SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by F W Nietszche View Post
    I think there is a good logic in using the smith machine especially if during hte course of your workout your stabilizer muscles will be worked out a lot. If you are doing mutiple sets of presses I think that to fully work your chest you should incorporate some machine work so that you aren't limited by the smaller secondary muscles that tend to give out before the ones that you are trying to work (same logic as using straps for back workouts).

The rule of thumb for any machine is that if they plane of motion does not agree with your anatomy its probably not a good machine for YOU (it might be a good machine for someone else who is structurally different from you)
    I don't disagree with the pressing for BBing purposes on the smith machine. Squats on the smith are dangerous and impractical imo. If you are forced to use one for squats, well at least you are squatting. The f4gs who squat exclusively on the smith when a squat rack is present usually have weak overall builds and pelican legs.
    "Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general."

Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SouthernLord View Post
    The f4gs who squat exclusively on the smith when a squat rack is present usually have weak overall builds and pelican legs.

I agree with your response, and I appreciate your stellar use of such medical terminology.
    Here Lies the Rant
    2005 - 2015

Negs from 1938-1945

-lenco

F W Nietszche will become famous soon enough. (+50) F W Nietszche will become famous soon enough. (+50) F W Nietszche will become famous soon enough. (+50) F W Nietszche will become famous soon enough. (+50) F W Nietszche will become famous soon enough. (+50) F W Nietszche will become famous soon enough. (+50) F W Nietszche will become famous soon enough. (+50) F W Nietszche will become famous soon enough. (+50) F W Nietszche will become famous soon enough. (+50) F W Nietszche will become famous soon enough. (+50) F W Nietszche will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I don't disagree with the pressing for BBing purposes on the smith machine. Squats on the smith are dangerous and impractical imo. If you are forced to use one for squats, well at least you are squatting. The f4gs who squat exclusively on the smith when a squat rack is present usually have weak overall builds and pelican legs.
    I agree completely, most people squatting on the smith machine look as awkward as hell. I tried it once, it felt wrong. I don't think its worth squatting on it for the sake of squatting.

Why not try some hack squats with a barbell or something. Squatting is important but the movement is replicated in a lot of machines (leg presses, hack squats) better than doing it on a smith machine. The smith machine gives people the illusion it is a safe free weight exercise, wrongly might I add.

Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The f4gs who squat exclusively on the smith when a squat rack is present usually have weak overall builds and pelican legs.
    F-g is a hate word. It's offensive to butt pirates.

Originally Posted by Turco View Post
    F-g is a hate word. It's offensive to butt pirates.
    I try not to discriminate. I try to be offensive to everyone

Jrod95 is just really nice. (+1000) Jrod95 is just really nice. (+1000) Jrod95 is just really nice. (+1000) Jrod95 is just really nice. (+1000) Jrod95 is just really nice. (+1000) Jrod95 is just really nice. (+1000) Jrod95 is just really nice. (+1000) Jrod95 is just really nice. (+1000) Jrod95 is just really nice. (+1000) Jrod95 is just really nice. (+1000) Jrod95 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Only comparison I can make is back in football lifting squatting in the weight room with a rack, those days i'd come back home sore as hell but it could have been from everything else done during football too, lately i've been sticking to a smith. I don't have an issue with it, been doing sets of 225 and 135 and I always feel satisfied with those after leg day..may be a personal reference thing to be honest, I'l try the same 2 plate squats on the rack thursday and repost if I feel any major differences, especially in the stabilizers.