bjones204 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Bolvine Colostrum and IGF-1

I just found out that there is Bolvine Colostrum which is high in IGF-1 in Animal Pack Multi-vitamin pack. The NCAA has banned Bolvine Colostrum and I am afraid to keep taking the multi-vitamin because we may be getting drug tested this year. Does anyone know how long Bolvine Colostrum stays in your system? Or if Bolvine Colostrum has a high enough amount of IGF-1 to show up on a drug test?

Animal pack contains: Colostrum (Bovine) 25mg

Please get back to me ASAP. Thank you for reading/responding.
    Last edited by bjones204; 09-09-2009 at 05:45 PM.

Does I have catabolismz? TaoistWarrior's Avatar
    TaoistWarrior is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TaoistWarrior is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TaoistWarrior is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TaoistWarrior is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TaoistWarrior is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TaoistWarrior is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TaoistWarrior is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TaoistWarrior is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TaoistWarrior is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TaoistWarrior is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TaoistWarrior is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    bumpercar.gif

here's some more reading on colostrum:

http://www.exrx.net/Nutrition/Supple...Colostrum.html

I drink raw colostrum like it's going out of style after my workouts. It tastes good and gives ya the jacked fibraz.
    It's time for a Breakthrough.

BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by bjones204 View Post
    I just found out that there is Bolvine Colostrum which is high in IGF-1 in Animal Pack Multi-vitamin pack. The NCAA has banned Bolvine Colostrum and I am afraid to keep taking the multi-vitamin because we may be getting drug tested this year. Does anyone know how long Bolvine Colostrum stays in your system? Or if Bolvine Colostrum has a high enough amount of IGF-1 to show up on a drug test?

IGF-1 is digested, so I'm not sure how it would possibly pass through the digestive tract much less show up in a drug test.

TaoistWarrior is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TaoistWarrior is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TaoistWarrior is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TaoistWarrior is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TaoistWarrior is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TaoistWarrior is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TaoistWarrior is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TaoistWarrior is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TaoistWarrior is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TaoistWarrior is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TaoistWarrior is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by BringnIt View Post
    IGF-1 is digested, so I'm not sure how it would possibly pass through the digestive tract much less show up in a drug test.
    I think the issue is that ingesting colostrum raises IGF, not the direct ingestion of IGF itself.

BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by TaoistWarrior View Post
    I think the issue is that ingesting colostrum raises IGF, not the direct ingestion of IGF itself.
    In a study by Mero et al (59) their purpose was to examine the effects of bovine colostrum supplementation on serum insulin-like growth factors (IGF-I), amino acids, and saliva immunoglobulin concentrations during a strength and speed training period. In this study 9 male subjects were all either advanced sprinters or jumpers. All of them underwent 3 different conditions each lasting a period of 8 days but with a 13 day period between conditions to eliminate factors from the previous condition. The three conditions were identical in regards to the sprint and strength training with the only notable difference amongst them being the type of drink/supplement consumed during the training period. These conditions included a whey protein supplement, a low level bovine colostrum supplement, and a high level bovine supplement containing 5 times the amount of colostrum as the low level group. The results from this study showed a positive correlation between IGF-I and levels of bovine colostrum. In other words high levels of bovine colostrum produced the greatest increases in IGF-I. Also the low level bovine colostrum supplement increased levels of IGF-F to a greater degree than the whey protein group. Finally, if bovine colostrum can have such positive influence on IFG-I the authors reasonably speculated that this supplement may have a tremendous effect on athletes due to the anabolic and muscle building effects of IGF-I.

In a study by Buckley et al (62) they examined the effects of bovine colostrum on peak vertical jump power, peak cycle power, alactic anaerobic work capacity, resistance exercise one-repetition maximum (1-RM), and plasma insulin-like growth factor
    (IGF-I) concentrations. This was an 8 week study composed of 51 males subjects divided into two groups: a placebo/whey protein group and a bovine colostrum group. Peak vertical jump and peak anaerobic cycle power both significantly improved in the bovine colostrum group when compared to the whey group. However, alactic anaerobic work capacity and resistance exercise one-repetition max changed equally in both groups. Thus the authors noted that bovine colostrum supplementation worked equally as well as traditional whey protein powder for certain factors and was superior in eliciting changes in other factors such as anaerobic power. Simply put, bovine colostrum supplementation during training significantly increased peak anaerobic power and vertical jump, but had no effect on alactic anaerobic work capacity, 1RM, or plasma IGF-I when compared to the control/whey protein group.

One says yes, the other says no, I don't really have the time currently to look into it further; if it does increase IGF-1, how much? Enough to cause a false positive for IGF-1 itself? Other supplements like creatine increase IGF-1 and that still can't technically be tested for.

I just don't see how they could test for colostrum.

Originally Posted by BringnIt View Post
    In a study by Mero et al (59) their purpose was to examine the effects of bovine colostrum supplementation on serum insulin-like growth factors (IGF-I), amino acids, and saliva immunoglobulin concentrations during a strength and speed training period. In this study 9 male subjects were all either advanced sprinters or jumpers. All of them underwent 3 different conditions each lasting a period of 8 days but with a 13 day period between conditions to eliminate factors from the previous condition. The three conditions were identical in regards to the sprint and strength training with the only notable difference amongst them being the type of drink/supplement consumed during the training period. These conditions included a whey protein supplement, a low level bovine colostrum supplement, and a high level bovine supplement containing 5 times the amount of colostrum as the low level group. The results from this study showed a positive correlation between IGF-I and levels of bovine colostrum. In other words high levels of bovine colostrum produced the greatest increases in IGF-I. Also the low level bovine colostrum supplement increased levels of IGF-F to a greater degree than the whey protein group. Finally, if bovine colostrum can have such positive influence on IFG-I the authors reasonably speculated that this supplement may have a tremendous effect on athletes due to the anabolic and muscle building effects of IGF-I.

In a study by Buckley et al (62) they examined the effects of bovine colostrum on peak vertical jump power, peak cycle power, alactic anaerobic work capacity, resistance exercise one-repetition maximum (1-RM), and plasma insulin-like growth factor
    (IGF-I) concentrations. This was an 8 week study composed of 51 males subjects divided into two groups: a placebo/whey protein group and a bovine colostrum group. Peak vertical jump and peak anaerobic cycle power both significantly improved in the bovine colostrum group when compared to the whey group. However, alactic anaerobic work capacity and resistance exercise one-repetition max changed equally in both groups. Thus the authors noted that bovine colostrum supplementation worked equally as well as traditional whey protein powder for certain factors and was superior in eliciting changes in other factors such as anaerobic power. Simply put, bovine colostrum supplementation during training significantly increased peak anaerobic power and vertical jump, but had no effect on alactic anaerobic work capacity, 1RM, or plasma IGF-I when compared to the control/whey protein group.

One says yes, the other says no, I don't really have the time currently to look into it further; if it does increase IGF-1, how much? Enough to cause a false positive for IGF-1 itself? Other supplements like creatine increase IGF-1 and that still can't technically be tested for.

I just don't see how they could test for colostrum.
    Dun think they can, but they could test for supraphysiologic levels of IGF i guess.

bjones204 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the info!!! That was perfect.

dranthonyk45 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by bjones204 View Post

Actually, Colostrum isn't on the banned substance list. IGF-1 is though! Besides ask for 3rd party validation of the amounts in whatever brand you use, if they can't or won't provide it, run away. There is one brand that has that validation but Bodybuilding.com doesn't carry it yet; Immune Tree colostrum. They just won the People's Choice award over every stated company and they are certified by Cornell University.