24/7 Customer Service 1-866-236-8417 Need Help? 1-866-236-8417

Reply
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Registered User bjones204's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2009
    Age: 27
    Posts: 10
    Rep Power: 0
    bjones204 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    bjones204 is offline

    Question Bolvine Colostrum and IGF-1

    I just found out that there is Bolvine Colostrum which is high in IGF-1 in Animal Pack Multi-vitamin pack. The NCAA has banned Bolvine Colostrum and I am afraid to keep taking the multi-vitamin because we may be getting drug tested this year. Does anyone know how long Bolvine Colostrum stays in your system? Or if Bolvine Colostrum has a high enough amount of IGF-1 to show up on a drug test?

    Animal pack contains: Colostrum (Bovine) 25mg

    Please get back to me ASAP. Thank you for reading/responding.
    Last edited by bjones204; 09-09-2009 at 06:45 PM.
    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    Does I have catabolismz? TaoistWarrior's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2008
    Location: California, United States
    Stats: 5'10", 191 lbs
    Posts: 1,861
    Rep Power: 2638
    TaoistWarrior has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TaoistWarrior has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TaoistWarrior has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TaoistWarrior has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TaoistWarrior has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TaoistWarrior has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TaoistWarrior has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TaoistWarrior has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TaoistWarrior has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TaoistWarrior has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TaoistWarrior has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit TaoistWarrior's BodySpace
    TaoistWarrior is offline
    bumpercar.gif

    here's some more reading on colostrum:

    http://www.exrx.net/Nutrition/Supple...Colostrum.html

    I drink raw colostrum like it's going out of style after my workouts. It tastes good and gives ya the jacked fibraz.
    Bulking to 210lbs so I can finally learn something about training and nutrition.

    Reps owed to: Desslok

    Maybe people should take a step back and be like WAIT A MINUTE THIS IS THE INTERNET.
    -GreatDane08
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Dieting Down BringnIt's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2005
    Location: Hagerstown, Maryland, United States
    Age: 29
    Stats: 5'9", 229 lbs
    Posts: 6,926
    BodyPoints: 25
    Rep Power: 2962
    BringnIt has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) BringnIt has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) BringnIt has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) BringnIt has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) BringnIt has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) BringnIt has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) BringnIt has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) BringnIt has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) BringnIt has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) BringnIt has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) BringnIt has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit BringnIt's BodySpace
    BringnIt is offline
    Originally Posted by bjones204 View Post
    I just found out that there is Bolvine Colostrum which is high in IGF-1 in Animal Pack Multi-vitamin pack. The NCAA has banned Bolvine Colostrum and I am afraid to keep taking the multi-vitamin because we may be getting drug tested this year. Does anyone know how long Bolvine Colostrum stays in your system? Or if Bolvine Colostrum has a high enough amount of IGF-1 to show up on a drug test?

    Animal pack contains: Colostrum (Bovine) 25mg

    Please get back to me ASAP. Thank you for reading/responding.
    IGF-1 is digested, so I'm not sure how it would possibly pass through the digestive tract much less show up in a drug test.
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    Does I have catabolismz? TaoistWarrior's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2008
    Location: California, United States
    Stats: 5'10", 191 lbs
    Posts: 1,861
    Rep Power: 2638
    TaoistWarrior has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TaoistWarrior has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TaoistWarrior has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TaoistWarrior has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TaoistWarrior has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TaoistWarrior has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TaoistWarrior has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TaoistWarrior has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TaoistWarrior has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TaoistWarrior has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TaoistWarrior has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit TaoistWarrior's BodySpace
    TaoistWarrior is offline
    Originally Posted by BringnIt View Post
    IGF-1 is digested, so I'm not sure how it would possibly pass through the digestive tract much less show up in a drug test.
    I think the issue is that ingesting colostrum raises IGF, not the direct ingestion of IGF itself.
    Bulking to 210lbs so I can finally learn something about training and nutrition.

    Reps owed to: Desslok

    Maybe people should take a step back and be like WAIT A MINUTE THIS IS THE INTERNET.
    -GreatDane08
    Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    Dieting Down BringnIt's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2005
    Location: Hagerstown, Maryland, United States
    Age: 29
    Stats: 5'9", 229 lbs
    Posts: 6,926
    BodyPoints: 25
    Rep Power: 2962
    BringnIt has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) BringnIt has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) BringnIt has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) BringnIt has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) BringnIt has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) BringnIt has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) BringnIt has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) BringnIt has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) BringnIt has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) BringnIt has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) BringnIt has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit BringnIt's BodySpace
    BringnIt is offline
    Originally Posted by TaoistWarrior View Post
    I think the issue is that ingesting colostrum raises IGF, not the direct ingestion of IGF itself.
    In a study by Mero et al (59) their purpose was to examine the effects of bovine colostrum supplementation on serum insulin-like growth factors (IGF-I), amino acids, and saliva immunoglobulin concentrations during a strength and speed training period. In this study 9 male subjects were all either advanced sprinters or jumpers. All of them underwent 3 different conditions each lasting a period of 8 days but with a 13 day period between conditions to eliminate factors from the previous condition. The three conditions were identical in regards to the sprint and strength training with the only notable difference amongst them being the type of drink/supplement consumed during the training period. These conditions included a whey protein supplement, a low level bovine colostrum supplement, and a high level bovine supplement containing 5 times the amount of colostrum as the low level group. The results from this study showed a positive correlation between IGF-I and levels of bovine colostrum. In other words high levels of bovine colostrum produced the greatest increases in IGF-I. Also the low level bovine colostrum supplement increased levels of IGF-F to a greater degree than the whey protein group. Finally, if bovine colostrum can have such positive influence on IFG-I the authors reasonably speculated that this supplement may have a tremendous effect on athletes due to the anabolic and muscle building effects of IGF-I.

    In a study by Buckley et al (62) they examined the effects of bovine colostrum on peak vertical jump power, peak cycle power, alactic anaerobic work capacity, resistance exercise one-repetition maximum (1-RM), and plasma insulin-like growth factor
    (IGF-I) concentrations. This was an 8 week study composed of 51 males subjects divided into two groups: a placebo/whey protein group and a bovine colostrum group. Peak vertical jump and peak anaerobic cycle power both significantly improved in the bovine colostrum group when compared to the whey group. However, alactic anaerobic work capacity and resistance exercise one-repetition max changed equally in both groups. Thus the authors noted that bovine colostrum supplementation worked equally as well as traditional whey protein powder for certain factors and was superior in eliciting changes in other factors such as anaerobic power. Simply put, bovine colostrum supplementation during training significantly increased peak anaerobic power and vertical jump, but had no effect on alactic anaerobic work capacity, 1RM, or plasma IGF-I when compared to the control/whey protein group.

    One says yes, the other says no, I don't really have the time currently to look into it further; if it does increase IGF-1, how much? Enough to cause a false positive for IGF-1 itself? Other supplements like creatine increase IGF-1 and that still can't technically be tested for.

    I just don't see how they could test for colostrum.
    Reply With Quote

  6. #6
    Does I have catabolismz? TaoistWarrior's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2008
    Location: California, United States
    Stats: 5'10", 191 lbs
    Posts: 1,861
    Rep Power: 2638
    TaoistWarrior has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TaoistWarrior has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TaoistWarrior has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TaoistWarrior has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TaoistWarrior has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TaoistWarrior has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TaoistWarrior has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TaoistWarrior has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TaoistWarrior has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TaoistWarrior has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TaoistWarrior has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit TaoistWarrior's BodySpace
    TaoistWarrior is offline
    Originally Posted by BringnIt View Post
    In a study by Mero et al (59) their purpose was to examine the effects of bovine colostrum supplementation on serum insulin-like growth factors (IGF-I), amino acids, and saliva immunoglobulin concentrations during a strength and speed training period. In this study 9 male subjects were all either advanced sprinters or jumpers. All of them underwent 3 different conditions each lasting a period of 8 days but with a 13 day period between conditions to eliminate factors from the previous condition. The three conditions were identical in regards to the sprint and strength training with the only notable difference amongst them being the type of drink/supplement consumed during the training period. These conditions included a whey protein supplement, a low level bovine colostrum supplement, and a high level bovine supplement containing 5 times the amount of colostrum as the low level group. The results from this study showed a positive correlation between IGF-I and levels of bovine colostrum. In other words high levels of bovine colostrum produced the greatest increases in IGF-I. Also the low level bovine colostrum supplement increased levels of IGF-F to a greater degree than the whey protein group. Finally, if bovine colostrum can have such positive influence on IFG-I the authors reasonably speculated that this supplement may have a tremendous effect on athletes due to the anabolic and muscle building effects of IGF-I.

    In a study by Buckley et al (62) they examined the effects of bovine colostrum on peak vertical jump power, peak cycle power, alactic anaerobic work capacity, resistance exercise one-repetition maximum (1-RM), and plasma insulin-like growth factor
    (IGF-I) concentrations. This was an 8 week study composed of 51 males subjects divided into two groups: a placebo/whey protein group and a bovine colostrum group. Peak vertical jump and peak anaerobic cycle power both significantly improved in the bovine colostrum group when compared to the whey group. However, alactic anaerobic work capacity and resistance exercise one-repetition max changed equally in both groups. Thus the authors noted that bovine colostrum supplementation worked equally as well as traditional whey protein powder for certain factors and was superior in eliciting changes in other factors such as anaerobic power. Simply put, bovine colostrum supplementation during training significantly increased peak anaerobic power and vertical jump, but had no effect on alactic anaerobic work capacity, 1RM, or plasma IGF-I when compared to the control/whey protein group.

    One says yes, the other says no, I don't really have the time currently to look into it further; if it does increase IGF-1, how much? Enough to cause a false positive for IGF-1 itself? Other supplements like creatine increase IGF-1 and that still can't technically be tested for.

    I just don't see how they could test for colostrum.
    Dun think they can, but they could test for supraphysiologic levels of IGF i guess.
    Bulking to 210lbs so I can finally learn something about training and nutrition.

    Reps owed to: Desslok

    Maybe people should take a step back and be like WAIT A MINUTE THIS IS THE INTERNET.
    -GreatDane08
    Reply With Quote

  7. #7
    Registered User bjones204's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2009
    Age: 27
    Posts: 10
    Rep Power: 0
    bjones204 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    bjones204 is offline
    Thanks for the info!!! That was perfect.
    Reply With Quote

  8. #8
    Registered User dranthonyk45's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2013
    Age: 50
    Stats: 5'7", 206 lbs
    Posts: 3
    Rep Power: 0
    dranthonyk45 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit dranthonyk45's BodySpace
    dranthonyk45 is offline
    Originally Posted by bjones204 View Post
    I just found out that there is Bolvine Colostrum which is high in IGF-1 in Animal Pack Multi-vitamin pack. The NCAA has banned Bolvine Colostrum and I am afraid to keep taking the multi-vitamin because we may be getting drug tested this year. Does anyone know how long Bolvine Colostrum stays in your system? Or if Bolvine Colostrum has a high enough amount of IGF-1 to show up on a drug test?

    Animal pack contains: Colostrum (Bovine) 25mg

    Please get back to me ASAP. Thank you for reading/responding.
    Actually, Colostrum isn't on the banned substance list. IGF-1 is though! Besides ask for 3rd party validation of the amounts in whatever brand you use, if they can't or won't provide it, run away. There is one brand that has that validation but Bodybuilding.com doesn't carry it yet; Immune Tree colostrum. They just won the People's Choice award over every stated company and they are certified by Cornell University.
    Reply With Quote

Reply

Similar Threads

  1. Colostrum and 'Fast' vs. 'Slow' Proteins
    By robertthoburn in forum Supplements
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-04-2014, 12:49 PM
  2. Bolvine Colostrum IGF-1
    By bjones204 in forum Supplement Misc.
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-09-2009, 06:29 PM
  3. Whey and IGF-1
    By Silent Jhay in forum Nutrition
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-14-2003, 07:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts